• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can We Ensure Timely Start of Shows?

In summary, People always arrive at least 20 minutes late for my shows. I would love to begin holding an on-time drawing but I have to get the Host on board first. It's up to them to let their guests know that they need to be there on time.
PamperedChefDebi
Silver Member
I don't know if I've EVER had a show start on time. They always start at least 20 minutes late and hate making the few who ARE on time wait. I'd love to begin holding an on time drawing but I have to get the Host on board first. It's up to them to let their guests know that they need to be there on time.

What suggestions do you have?

I usually start mine within 10 minutes. I don't like to keep anyone waiting. And I do give an on-time gift drawing!

Mine has never started on time.

People are always arriving and they really enjoy talking with each other

I do ask the host after I setup if she wants me to start at the sceduled time or let the guest enjoy themselves for a few extra minutes.

~

I went to a fellow consultants show last night, and the recommendation was that you ALWAYS should start within 15 mins of the show. You don't want to penalize anyone that arrived on time, and they may have other places to go. Just let your host know, you're going to begin, and the others will be able to catch up once they arrive.

Its a nice way of saying it --- HTH

I need to start doing on-time drawings again. I used to do them, but had a couple of shows where people mis-read the sticker on the invites as "on-time gift" and got mad that I didn't have something for everyone who was there on time (including spouses and children). Even without the stickers (and drawings), I try to start within 10 minutes.

The bigger problem I have is that when people do walk in late, they ask "what have you done so far?" and I never know what to say to tell them that I'll go over it with them after we're done, so that I'm not repeating the first 10 minutes of the demo.

I have RARELY started on time. The show I did Sunday (was more of a party) and didn't start until almost an HOUR after it was supposed to! I shouldn't complain though b/c the sales are at almost $1200 so far!

chefann said:
I need to start doing on-time drawings again. I used to do them, but had a couple of shows where people mis-read the sticker on the invites as "on-time gift" and got mad that I didn't have something for everyone who was there on time (including spouses and children). Even without the stickers (and drawings), I try to start within 10 minutes.

The bigger problem I have is that when people do walk in late, they ask "what have you done so far?" and I never know what to say to tell them that I'll go over it with them after we're done, so that I'm not repeating the first 10 minutes of the demo.

And I feel really rude, but when people come in late I MIGHT acknowledge them but I don't really give them the chance to ask that. If they really wanted to know, they should have been there on time. (I would never SAY that though.) I always have a few confused people because I play the Pampered Chef game throughout my show and if you miss it being explained in the beginning, you're lost.

My director says that she does a Microwave Lava cake in the Rice cooker at the time that the show is supposed to start...that way she can show that and start on time...I think that that is a good idea...mine never start on time either...maybe I should try this myself.

On the invitations - my evening shows start at 7......and I actually start the demo at 7:15. I do nametags for everyone, so as they arrive, I introduce myself to them, ask them their name and write out a nametag for them. People are usually socializing for the first few minutes, and then about 7:10, I let the host know I will be starting the demo in a few minutes and give her the nametags to take over that duty.
My demo is 45 minutes long - so usually done at 8pm......HOWEVER - it takes forever to get them through the order process! Last night my demo was done at 8, and I walked out of the hosts home at 9:20. But I did book someone who had said "not interested" on the customer care card! Turns out, she didn't want to have a show because she has had jewelry & candle shows and no one came. I showed her the 50 guests in 5 minutes flyer, she started thinking of names she hadn't thought of before, I mentioned that everyone eats....and next thing you know, she was booking a Nov. show!:D So I guess the chatting afterwards is beneficial.......

Smashie said:
I usually start mine within 10 minutes. I don't like to keep anyone waiting. And I do give an on-time gift drawing!

I'm so going to steal that!! Everyone love a quikut knife!:D

I feel that people have such busy schedules that you can't predict what time would be good for everyone plus if your show is in a rural area, it might me hard for someone to find the house or if they live in the city - they might run into lots of traffic - dropping kids of at parent/in-laws/sports or hubby maybe running late, maybe even they are late leaving work themselves. These days some people have such busy, busy lives - I don't how some people find time to sleep with everything else in their lives.

~

I tell my hosts during a host coaching call I will be starting at 7:05
I explain it's not fair to their guests who arrive on time to wait on the stragglers, My excuse is I don't know who arrived on time that might be paying a sitter or needs to be home to help with homework, bedtime routine.

Also, sometimes those we know ahead of time are going to be late never show up or call to let the host know.

I do an ontime drawing for free shipping on their order THAT NIGHT. Then I start no later than 7:15 for a 7pm show. I tell the host, "Let's get started... the smell of the food cooking always brings people!"

Then when the late ones arrive, we pause for a quick moment for them to sit down and then jokingly I roll my eyes and say, "Now I have to start over... my name is Colleen and I will be your consultant tonight..." Everyone laughs and I just pick up where I left off.

finley1991 said:
I do an ontime drawing for free shipping on their order THAT NIGHT. Then I start no later than 7:15 for a 7pm show. I tell the host, "Let's get started... the smell of the food cooking always brings people!"

Then when the late ones arrive, we pause for a quick moment for them to sit down and then jokingly I roll my eyes and say, "Now I have to start over... my name is Colleen and I will be your consultant tonight..." Everyone laughs and I just pick up where I left off.

Oooo, free shipping, GREAT idea!

I think some of the differences in starting on time is personality too. DH and I have discussed this in regards to the couples Small Group we lead. He wants to jump right into the study as soon as the clock hits the hour, and I am more into socializing for a bit before we get down to work.......we've decided it's just our personalities.
It's like that for consultants doing shows too. Some of you want to start right on the dot - and that's fine, because that is the way you are wired. Others, (like me :blushing: ) aren't so aware of the time. I do start my shows at 7:15 - but I do that out of respect for peoples time. My demo is over at 8, so if they need to be home early, they can still place their order and be done shortly after 8........BUT I enjoy that time before the show of people just chatting and relaxing. I am more comfortable doing my show if people have had a chance to just hang out a bit before I start.

Something that I have heard, but not tried, is to alter the time on the invite. So, your 7:00 show should read 6:58. Darla Oelmann does this and said she gets positive results on people showing up on time.

I usually start by 15 minutes after. Figure if they are that late they either aren't coming, or are habitually late anyhow and they will just need to catch up later!

I usually start within 5 minutes unless the host really wants to wait on more expected guests. I go ahead with introductions. Anyone who comes in late I ask them to introduce themselves, their favorite PC product, and their weight. Of course the other guests laugh but the latecomer feels a part of the show and I just go on with the demo.

chefheidi2003 said:
My director says that she does a Microwave Lava cake in the Rice cooker at the time that the show is supposed to start...that way she can show that and start on time...I think that that is a good idea...mine never start on time either...maybe I should try this myself.
Thats a good idea Heidi! Mine never start on time because people are talking but if you do something neat like that it catches peoples attention!
I have that with the 10 min tenderloin and when people start to smell the food... you get their attention!

KellyTheChef said:
Something that I have heard, but not tried, is to alter the time on the invite. So, your 7:00 show should read 6:58. Darla Oelmann does this and said she gets positive results on people showing up on time.

I usually start by 15 minutes after. Figure if they are that late they either aren't coming, or are habitually late anyhow and they will just need to catch up later!
I was going to say this! I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on it for my next shows that I do the invites for. My shows lately seem to be starting later and later.

NEVER after 60+ shows!

On the labels for the postcard invitations (I send out the invitations), underneath the host information, I have "Arrive early; demo starts at 7:00". Most of my shows start on time, but I do still allow my host to override me if she'd like. At 7:00, I say nicely, in front of the crowd, "Julie, it's 7:00 - would you like me to start or wait a few more minutes?" and go from there.

You guys have some great tactics!

Most of the time i start them on time. I did start saying 600 on my invitations and that way if they are late starting it is not as big of a problem as if i had listed them later. And it is great when they do start on time b/c I am home earlier with a 600 start time.If there or 4 or 5 people there I will go ahead and start. If there is 1 or 2, I will wait about 15 minutes. I try not to wait any longer that than though. It is not fair to the ones that are there on time to have to wait on those that are late.

Since my guests talk and eat for the first 15-20 minutes of the show, I always start on time. :)

As they arrive, I let people know when we'll be starting my portion of the party. I tell them I've discovered that if I give them a little time to talk and eat they pay more attention to me. They think I'm kidding. ;)

I was a guest at a jewelry part recently. The consultant was still setting up, and she didn't start talking until about 40 minutes after the time stated on the invitation. She was a sweet woman, but I found that really rude. It felt like she didn't respect my time. That's one of the reasons I always tell people when I'll be starting.

I'm trying something new on Friday...
Selling raffle tickets for $2.00 each...I put on the invitation that tickets will only be sold until ______ (5 mins before show time). At the start of the show, I will draw a name for a free shopping spree!

Basically, whatever $$ in tickets you sell, is the amount of the shopping spree. No $$ out of pocket, more sales for the host...hopefully better attendance and start time. People who can't make it can't prurchase tickets and those that are late...well...are out of luck. :)

So, I tried the Raffle Tickets for $2.00 each and someone winning a free shopping spree last night...We had 12 guests, most of them on time. Sold a total of $42.00 in tickets. The guests were really excited! I will need to do more host coaching so that more people are aware and the host is really excited, but it went really well. The woman that won just about fell out of her chair, she was so happy! :)
The show started within 5 minutes of start time, and everyone was really paying attention and involved. I'm going to keep using this idea, just modify my host coaching. If you try this, let me know how it goes.

chefheidi2003 said:

What is a microwave lava cake? I tried to find it in the files & recipes here, but didn't see it.

pamperedgirl3 said:
What is a microwave lava cake? I tried to find it in the files & recipes here, but didn't see it.

go to files ... type in Rice Cooker and click on

PC Rice Cooker Plus Recipe Booklet.doc I think the first recipe is the Volcano Cake... it's the same as the lava cake ... I'm sure many of the posts there under Rice Cooker have it listed either one way or the other. It's a great cake! have fun!

Mine rarely start exactly on time but I do try to get going within 10 minutes of the offical start time. This works for most groups, larger ones may need more time to get settled with beverages, visiting, getting more chairs etc.

The only shows that I have typically started REALLY late are when no one shows up for the start time (always a bad sign!!!) and then a few stragglers come in.

If it is a very, very small crowd, I try to make up for late starting parties by not doing a few things such as guest product sharing, review of the warranty/order form, etc.

And, if it is a larger party, and I can tell we'll be "off track"...I will actually make the recipe while all the chatter is going on and then just briefly talk about it before I finish it off. Large groups I really still want that product sharing time so I'd rather sacrifice the actual demo.

bethsbiz said:
Mine rarely start exactly on time but I do try to get going within 10 minutes of the offical start time. This works for most groups, larger ones may need more time to get settled with beverages, visiting, getting more chairs etc.

The only shows that I have typically started REALLY late are when no one shows up for the start time (always a bad sign!!!) and then a few stragglers come in.

If it is a very, very small crowd, I try to make up for late starting parties by not doing a few things such as guest product sharing, review of the warranty/order form, etc.

And, if it is a larger party, and I can tell we'll be "off track"...I will actually make the recipe while all the chatter is going on and then just briefly talk about it before I finish it off. Large groups I really still want that product sharing time so I'd rather sacrifice the actual demo.

I had a Saturday show 2 weeks ago, the host specifically wanted 11:30am - so that is what went on the invitations. 11:30 rolled around, and no one was there.....11:45 came, and 2 people showed up......by noon, she had 9 people there. Had a great show, with 2 bookings for Nov. & Dec.
AFTER everyone left, she says to me "Oh yeah, I knew no one would arrive before noon - my friends are always late. I really wanted to start at noon, so I told you 11:30 for the invitations.":eek:

And thanks for respecting MY time, too! :grumpy: I was there, and all set up by 11:15 in preparation for an 11:30 show.

1. How can I encourage my guests to arrive on time for my show?

One suggestion would be to clearly communicate the start time of the show and emphasize the importance of being on time. You could also offer incentives for those who arrive on time, such as a chance to win a prize or early access to seating. Additionally, reminding guests of the potential inconvenience and disrespect towards others by arriving late may also encourage them to be punctual.

2. Why do shows often start late?

There can be various reasons for shows starting late, such as technical difficulties, last minute changes, or tardiness of performers or guests. It is important for the host to communicate any potential delays to their guests and try to minimize them as much as possible.

3. How can I ensure that my show starts on time?

One way to ensure your show starts on time is by setting a schedule and sticking to it. This includes allowing enough time for setup and rehearsals beforehand. Communicating the importance of being on time to all involved parties and enforcing punctuality can also help the show start on time.

4. Should I start the show even if some guests are still arriving late?

This ultimately depends on the nature of your show and the impact of late arrivals. If the show is heavily dependent on audience participation or requires a certain number of guests to begin, it may be best to wait for all guests to arrive. However, if the show can still proceed with missing a few guests, it may be best to start on time to avoid further delays.

5. How can I handle the situation if the show does start late?

If the show does start late, it is important to communicate the delay to the audience and apologize for any inconvenience. You could also use this time to engage with the audience and keep them entertained until the show begins. It may also be helpful to review the reasons for the delay and make any necessary improvements for future shows.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • cheflorraine