• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do Some Stones Have Color in Them?

In summary, a person is seeking advice on using their mother-in-law's round stone for a cooking show. The stone has been sitting on top of the fridge for a year and has some black/blue streaks on it. Suggestions are given to try cleaning it with baking soda paste and it is mentioned that the streaks may be caused by metal scraping against the stone. After trying the baking soda paste, the stone looks better but still has a small blue-ish circle in the middle. It is mentioned that this could be from metal rubbing against the stone and it is safe to use.
ahammons
Okay, this may seem like a strange question, but my MIL has a round stone that she's had for a long time (at least a year or so) and never used it! :eek: I don't have one, so she said that I could use hers anytime and I'd like to for my show on Friday. But here's my problem - it's been sitting on top of the fridge this whole time (yuck) and even though I tried cleaning it, there are some black/blue -ish streaks all over the stone. Is this normal, or is it just not coming clean?? :yuck:

That doesn't sound right. :yuck: Have you tried the baking soda deep-cleaning? Make a paste with baking soda and a little water, spread it on the stone, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Scrub off. It will take off just about anything icky on your stone.

I will try that right now! Thanks Ann!

Sounds like it wasn't cleaned/dried throughly and you have some mold issues.

Or possibly someone used a blue scratch pad on it to clean (blue or green scratchies will bleed color onto your stone and stain it if you push too hard on them....ask me how I know!:eek: )

That's what I was thinking at first, but she's never washed it or baked with it!! Just took it out of the box and stuck it on top of the fridge.

If her fridge is near her stove she might be getting the "gunk" that comes from that. I'd just scrub it really good with the baking soda paste mentioned earlier...and probably find a different spot to store it if it is near a stovetop that might be getting steam/grease, etc. onto it inadvertantly.

I think that may be it - her fridge it right next to her stove, and the stone has been stored on that side! I've got the baking soda paste on it now... I'm crossing my fingers that it works! :D

That's happened to a few of my stones... ones that don't get used very often. I've found it's from other things (like metal trays) being scraped against them. (I store my stones and metal trays vertically above my wall ovens all together). Did she store other things that she used on top of it when it was on the fridge? The movement might have cause the streaks. That's what has caused them on mine. (And no... it's not mold on mine).

finley1991 said:
That's happened to a few of my stones... ones that don't get used very often. I've found it's from other things (like metal trays) being scraped against them. (I store my stones and metal trays vertically above my wall ovens all together). Did she store other things that she used on top of it when it was on the fridge? The movement might have cause the streaks. That's what has caused them on mine. (And no... it's not mold on mine).

We believe you Colleen! :D

I too have gotten black streaks with stuff scraping on it too, but do know someone who left a stone out before it was dry and got mold on it. (Don't worry, it wasn't me either. ;) )

Thanks Janet! :D

I'm sure she probably has stored stuff on top of it before. She sells baked goods at craft fairs and has a pretty small kitchen - I know she also stores her disposable pans up there.

I just scrubbed the paste off of the stone, and it looks much better! There are very few streaks left. But there's still a small, circle in the middle of the stone that looks blue-ish to me... now I'm wondering if I should still use it. I was planning on practicing the recipe tonight for my show on Friday - I know there's no way that I could get another round stone by then.

It's probably just metal that rubbed from another pan, as posted above. It should be fine.

1. Do all stones have color in them?

No, not all stones have color in them. Some stones, such as clear quartz or diamonds, are colorless. Others, like obsidian or onyx, can be black or dark in color.

2. How do stones get their colors?

Stones get their colors from different mineral compounds, such as iron, copper, or manganese, that are present in their composition. The type and amount of these minerals determine the color of the stone.

3. Can stones' colors change over time?

Yes, some stones' colors can change over time due to exposure to sunlight or other environmental factors. For example, amethyst can fade if left in direct sunlight for extended periods.

4. Are there any stones that have multiple colors?

Yes, there are many stones that have multiple colors. Some examples include agate, which can have bands of different colors, and tourmaline, which can have multiple colors within one stone.

5. Do the colors of stones have any significance or meaning?

In some cultures, certain colors of stones are believed to have specific meanings or healing properties. However, these beliefs are not scientifically proven and may vary among different cultures and individuals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • AJPratt
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • etteluap70PC