• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Odd Experience W/ Stoneware Last Night

In summary, the tops of the Crescent Roll Pigs in a Blanket were perfectly brown, but the bottoms were burnt. The stone was at the bottom of the oven (I cooked the 2 stones at the same time, so the other one was in the middle of the oven). The oven was too hot and the dough was in too long, causing the bottoms to burn.
babywings76
Gold Member
So I had a bizarre thing happen last night. I made pigs in a blanket using the Pillsbury crescent rolls. I make one batch without cheese, and one batch with. I put half a slice of American cheese on the dough before I roll up the hot dog in there. Every time I bake them, the cheese ones ooze out and the cheese will burn. Since using the stoneware, it's at least been easier to clean up afterwards. But last night, not only did the extra oozing cheese burn, but the bottoms of the rolls! The tops were perfect, but the bottoms of half of them were completely burnt! The stone was at the bottom of my oven (I cooked the 2 stones at the same time, so the other one was in the middle of the oven). I thought things never burn on stoneware? Is it because it was on the bottom, making the tops take too long to brown, compared to the actual heat cooking the bottoms? It's my kids favorite meal and I've made them tons of times, but have never had this happen before--I thought I did 2 stones like this last time, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Hmmm.......I don't normally do 2 stones at once, but the few times I have, I do generally rotate them (switch from top to bottom and vice versa) about 1/2 way through. I've never had anything burn on my stones before!

That is strange but I would say it was due to the stone being too close to the heating element in your oven.

Under the Product Use and Care it says: Do not use Stoneware under broiler or on direct heat source.

Yep, it's because it was at the bottom of the oven. I just did a double batch of crescent roll dough (for chicken clubhouse squares) on two bar pans, and the one on the bottom was definately crunchy on the underside of the dough. Being so much closer to the heating element gets it much hotter, and also the bottom pan really blocks alot of the heat to the upper pan, so it will take longer.

You want as big a gap as possible between your two racks, but in general I would put them both as high as possible, or just do them one after another.

And about "not burning things on stoneware"... if the oven is hot enough, and the food is in long enough, it will still burn. The stoneware just evens out the heat more, and because it is thicker and has more "thermal mass" (sorry, DH is a rocket scientist, heat transfer is one of his specialties!) it has can dissipate more heat than a regular thin metal pan to avoid things burning quickly, or in spots...

AnnieBee said:
Yep, it's because it was at the bottom of the oven. I just did a double batch of crescent roll dough (for chicken clubhouse squares) on two bar pans, and the one on the bottom was definately crunchy on the underside of the dough. Being so much closer to the heating element gets it much hotter, and also the bottom pan really blocks alot of the heat to the upper pan, so it will take longer.

You want as big a gap as possible between your two racks, but in general I would put them both as high as possible, or just do them one after another.

And about "not burning things on stoneware"... if the oven is hot enough, and the food is in long enough, it will still burn. The stoneware just evens out the heat more, and because it is thicker and has more "thermal mass" (sorry, DH is a rocket scientist, heat transfer is one of his specialties!) it has can dissipate more heat than a regular thin metal pan to avoid things burning quickly, or in spots...

I am definitely not a rocket scientist... but I find that if I don't have my stones (especially for pizza) towards the bottom, I usually have both racks on the bottom and the next to the bottom and put the stone on the top one, otherwise the top gets really brown and the bottom is still doughy, so you saying that it should be as high as possible confuses me... is that just if you are doing 2 at the same time or is my oven just messed up? And I also remember before I became a consultant I had the deep dish pie stone and had problems getting my pie to cook well and a consultant told me to put it on the bottom of the oven, so that's what I've always done and told others to do. (Not directly on the bottom but towards the bottom)... ??? Just curious if I'm totally off base here...

You shouldn't do 2 pans of food at once in the oven, unless you have a convection oven, or swap the pans halfway through (put the one on the top into the lower position, and vise-versa). Despite us thinking of an oven as a hot box that is evenly hot throughout, pans do block the heat coming off the element, which is usually in the bottom. A fan (convection oven) will move the air around, distributing the heat.

Oh, I meant if you have two pans in at the same time on two different racks, and you are having problems with the lower one burning on the bottom!

And you're right, too high up and you end up getting your tops too well done with the dough not cooked enough. I think the pigs in blankets would be done more quickly, before they get too brown, but for a pizza that takes longer too cook, I could see the top getting too dark if it is too high in the oven.

I agree about wanting it low enough to get the bottom of the pizza cooked, I don't like doughy bottoms either :D. I usually just do them one at a time in the middle of the oven to get them evenly cooked - crispy bottom, but brown enough on the top, without the bottom getting too dark.

My main points were meant to be: 1) Too low in the oven and the bottom will burn, and 2) if using two pans, the lower will block the upper, so have as much of a gap as possible for the air to circulate.

It might also depend on your oven, mine is just a gas oven, I would bet that a convection oven, or even a regular electric oven would cook differently.

AnnieBee said:
Oh, I meant if you have two pans in at the same time on two different racks, and you are having problems with the lower one burning on the bottom!

And you're right, too high up and you end up getting your tops too well done. I think the pigs in blankets would be done before they get too brown, but for a pizza that takes longer too cook, I could see the top getting too dark if it is too high in the oven.

I agree about wanting it low enough to get the bottom of the pizza cooked, I don't like doughy bottoms either :D. I usually just do them one at a time in the middle of the oven to get them evenly cooked - crispy bottom, but brown enough on the top, without the bottom getting too dark.

It might also depend on your oven, mine is just a gas oven, I would bet that a convection oven, or even a regular electric oven would cook differently.

This is true!

AnnieBee said:

I've got an electric, and it does the same thing as noted above when I put 2 items in it on different racks (which is why the torte pans were designed to both fit on a single oven rack - how's that for HO really thinking about things?).

My oven is electric and it's convection. I forgot to use the convection setting. I should've switched the positions--or reminded DH to do it (DH took over finishing getting dinner ready because I've been having severe foot pain and being Mr. Physical Therapist, he made me sit and rest. :D) The element is actually just at the top of my oven, there's nothing on the bottom. So putting it at the top rack would be putting it under the broiler, not the other way around. It came w/ 4 racks in there and one is set all the way on the bottom I typically will just use 2 of the racks. Sometimes I use 3 w/ the convection. (2 bar pans w/ bacon and the rectangular baker w/ German pancakes)

It's because you put two in at once.--the heat couldn't circulate, so the pans didn't heat evenly.

babywings76 said:
The element is actually just at the top of my oven, there's nothing on the bottom. So putting it at the top rack would be putting it under the broiler, not the other way around. It came w/ 4 racks in there and one is set all the way on the bottom I typically will just use 2 of the racks. Sometimes I use 3 w/ the convection. (2 bar pans w/ bacon and the rectangular baker w/ German pancakes)

The element is at the top, but the lower pan got burnt on the bottom? That is wierd! There is definitely not a lower element too?? I have no explanation, other than that you live in opposites land, where heat doesn't rise! LOL! :D

I guess if if works for you to use two at once with the convection fan, then keep doing that, otherwise stick to one at a time.

AnnieBee said:
The element is at the top, but the lower pan got burnt on the bottom? That is wierd! There is definitely not a lower element too?? I have no explanation, other than that you live in opposites land, where heat doesn't rise! LOL! :D

I guess if if works for you to use two at once with the convection fan, then keep doing that, otherwise stick to one at a time.

Yep, there is definitely nothing on the bottom. The lowest rack setting is just an inch or so from the flat bottom of the oven. :)

Amanda, if you have a newer oven, you might have one with the main element under the floor, so that it's easier to clean. Just a thought.

Under the floor? Hmm, I wonder if it'll say in the manual. It's a GE Profile. It's new (1 1/2 yrs.)

yes. If I remember correctly, with my Whirlpool Electric Convection in my last house- it only had the element on the top for the burner. The rest of it was hidden- there would be a source of heat in the bottom of the oven- just not an element you see. That was my primary source for the baking/convection settings. The top element was for broiling and would only come on slightly to help regulate temps (it went on/off, if I remember).So yes- have the stone on the bottom without rotating hte stones would probably be why you burnt. The top one- were they not as golden as they normally are when you cook them single-pan? I have that happen when I do two stones- the top one has the softer crust- less golden, but the tops are more done, and the bottom is crispier/more golden and not as done on top.....unless I rotate.My motto really IS "Pampered, NOT perfect!"

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that! :)

What could have caused my stoneware to crack while cooking?

There are a few possible reasons for this. It could be due to rapid temperature changes, using the stoneware on the stovetop or broiler, or placing it in the dishwasher. It's important to follow the care instructions for your stoneware to prevent cracking.

Can I still use my stoneware if it has a crack?

No, it is not safe to use stoneware with cracks. The crack can continue to grow and potentially break while in use, causing injury. It's best to replace the stoneware if it has cracks.

How can I prevent my stoneware from cracking in the future?

To prevent cracking, make sure to preheat the stoneware in the oven before adding food, avoid extreme temperature changes, and do not use it on the stovetop or broiler. Also, make sure to handwash the stoneware and avoid using metal utensils on it.

Is it normal for my stoneware to have a slight odor after use?

Yes, some stoneware may have a slight odor after use, especially if it's new. This is normal and should dissipate with use and proper cleaning. You can also try soaking the stoneware in a mixture of baking soda and water to help eliminate any odors.

Can I return my stoneware if it cracks during use?

Our stoneware comes with a limited lifetime warranty, so if it cracks during normal use, you can contact our customer service team for a replacement. However, if the crack is due to misuse, it will not be covered under the warranty.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrshamel3808
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • heat123