• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Customer Has Broken 2Nd Pizza Stone in 6 Months! Thoughts?

In summary, Chefgirl was contacted by a customer who had purchased a large round stone with handles from a show she did back in Feb, and it broke on her the first time when she was cooking chicken nuggets on it. I asked her how many, and she said three of the big ones. I told her that the issue may have been that she needs a smaller stone for that, because I know if you put small amounts of food on a large stone it can break. I replaced the round stone for her, and she purchased the med. bar pan for her chicken nuggets, which apparently has been working
kdangel518
Gold Member
Hi everyone- I just got a very frantic email from a customer this morning, she purchased the large round stone with handles from a show I did back in Feb, and it broke on her the first time when she was cooking chicken nuggets on it. I asked her how many, and she said three of the big ones. I told her that the issue may have been that she needs a smaller stone for that, because I know if you put small amounts of food on a large stone it can break.

I replaced the round stone for her, and she purchased the med. bar pan for her chicken nuggets, which apparently has been working out great for her.

I just got the following email from her today: Hi Kara
I don't know if you remember me, but i purchased a stone from Cara M's party back in the early part of this year. It broke, you replaced, i loved...loved....loved it and now this one is in many pieces. I was making a pizza and i had the bar pan on the rack below making chicken nuggets. Then I took out the pizza to check it and when I put it back in to finish cooking it, I heard a pop and it was my beloved pizza stone.....the large one..........the one that i loved the most. Am I going to be able to replace this one for n/c? I need a new one asap. Please email me or call me.

So, my first thought is, yes, it can be replaced with no charge since it's still under the 3 year warranty, but secondly, I'm wondering WHY her stones keep breaking... do you think because she had two stones in the oven at once, this one on the rack above the smaller stone, that could have caused the stone to break?

As you can see she's pretty frantic to get this replaced, so I'm going to get back to her today, but I'd like to have an explanation/idea/tip for her for the next one! I'd really like to not have to replace a THIRD stone for her as I'm sure she's getting a little frustrated by this point, and she LOVES PC, I don't want her to start thinking we make bum products! TIA! :chef:

Stones can have imperfections in them that cause breakage, so it may not have been anything specific that she did. There have been, in fact, whole batches of the Large Round Stones with Handles that had breakage issues. Her stone may be from one of those batches.

I thought they had fixed the problem. Just call HO. Let them know that you think it is unfair that this common problem is forcing your customer to pay shipping fees again. I personally, have returned around 15-20 for my customers since we added the handles.

But, first call you guest and see if she would substitute the large bar stone for it. I'm pretty sure the only things you can't make on the bar stone are a huge cookie that you need to box up and a large frozen pizza. The bar stone is great for everything.

Good luck!

Chefgirl- I agree, I LOVE the large bar pan, and in fact tried to talk her into it the last time her round stone broke, but she really LOVES the round stone more than anything!Good to know there was a bad batch, I will call HO and see if they will ship her one w/o us having to ship her pieces back, lol. I really don't want her to wait for the second stone!

Grrr... this is really frustrating. I am on the phone with the solutions center now and they refuse to send a new stone without a palm sized piece of this one that broke first! I explained to them that the customer was really frustrated and didn't want to wait... no avail. I understand they need it for quality inspection, etc. but still... oh well, my customer will just have to wait!

I remember reading the suggestion that you put the handles in the oven at an angle, with one handle towards the back corner of the oven. This gives more space for the heat to circulate between the oven sides and the handles.

Is it possible that the frozen nuggets or maybe a frozen pizza on the stones was too much of a temperature shock and caused the cracking. Did she maybe hit the two stones together when she returned to round stone to the oven?

There was one time when I had a lid shatter. I took pictures and sent them, rather than the tiny shards. They made am exception, and did not require me to mail back
before replacing the lid. Maybe if you talked with them about that option, they would ship her replacement quicker. Just alert her not to throw out any of the stone pieces
before you put that idea into the hopper. She will be your customer forever, if you go to bat this second time. I know, I would be.

Grandmarita said:
Is it possible that the frozen nuggets or maybe a frozen pizza on the stones was too much of a temperature shock and caused the cracking. Did she maybe hit the two stones together when she returned to round stone to the oven?

There was one time when I had a lid shatter. I took pictures and sent them, rather than the tiny shards. They made am exception, and did not require me to mail back
before replacing the lid. Maybe if you talked with them about that option, they would ship her replacement quicker. Just alert her not to throw out any of the stone pieces
before you put that idea into the hopper. She will be your customer forever, if you go to bat this second time. I know, I would be.

NO clue as to why I didn't think about this!! I will definitely give HO a call again and see if I can send pics instead, thank you for the suggestion!!!

I had been a consultant about 8 years ago and recently started up again. I was so excited when I saw the new stones with handles because I love my old round stones. After reading here about all the issues with the new ones I'm a little concerned. I have had my stones for 8 years and have NEVER had a problem with any of them. Does anyone know if they have resolved the problem with the handled stones? I used have huge success ordering 2 pizzas at my shows and having one on a pre-heated stone and one in the pizza box.

Thanks! Andrea

I haven't heard anything for a while. I didn't have any issue with the stones. I think it's just like any other natural clay product--sometimes you get a bad batch.

Interesting. So, you wouldn't demo anything just have the 2 pizzas to show the difference?

I've had several issues with the round stones with handles. It's gotten to the point where I won't demo anything on them. Could you imagine making something at a show, and then having the stone break in the oven? :yuck:

I don't use my stone that often but have never had problems with it!

smspamperedchef said:
Interesting. So, you wouldn't demo anything just have the 2 pizzas to show the difference?

I believe for Doris's first show, all she did was heat a frozen pizza on the stone, to show how well it baked a frozen pizza.:D

The pizza stone demo was just a bonus. I would put the stone in the oven at 200 for about 15-20min and demo the other products while waiting for the pizza to arrive. It aways worked well for me :)

I had a friend break her large round stone 3 times. we went over how to use it, clean it, etc and she was doing nothing wrong. finally I just gave her the money back, sent in a piece and kept the stone for myself. she loved her stone but for whatever reason, her oven did not...luckily my oven loves my stones, as much as I do!

My friend has gone through 2 bar pans. I'm getting it replaced. Anyone having this problem with bar pans?

Rosechef said:
My friend has gone through 2 bar pans. I'm getting it replaced. Anyone having this problem with bar pans?

I had a well-seasoned bar pan break while I was showing the host's husband how easy it was to clean. I was using the brush on it in the sink, and the corner broke right off (yes, it was cool--not just out of the oven). Mr. Host said "oh, I'll take 3 of them". Then he discretely got a garbage bag for me to hide it in.

I do know this, any quick temp change will crack them. I have never heard that it is OK to preheat a stone to any temp before placing food on them. Just how did she check the pizza? Did she take the entire stone out of the oven? This would have cooled the stone very quickly. Then placing it back on the rack in the hot oven would have been too much and crack.
I do know this, the new ones are not as thick as the older ones with out the handles. Just keep trying to satisfy her. That is all you can do. She will tell you when enough is enough.

is she using the self rising crust pizzas? or my guess is the temp changes

Chefgirl2 said:
I thought they had fixed the problem. Just call HO. Let them know that you think it is unfair that this common problem is forcing your customer to pay shipping fees again. I personally, have returned around 15-20 for my customers since we added the handles.

But, first call you guest and see if she would substitute the large bar stone for it. I'm pretty sure the only things you can't make on the bar stone are a huge cookie that you need to box up and a large frozen pizza. The bar stone is great for everything.

Good luck!

I am about to send back number 27 in less than 2 years. It is sooo frustrating.
If it has been over a year since the original purchase, they say you can't substitute another pan in place of the original. I raised cain and was given a "one time" override.... because IMO it was a quality issue.

We have the round stone with & without handles. When my daughter first got the RSWOH, it broke in the oven the first time she used it. It's been four years and no problems since. I got my RSWH when they first came out and again no problems. We use both all the time for everything from biscuits to cookies!

It could be the fact that she had the frozen nuggets in the bar pan under the pizza stone, so the stone with the nuggets was really cold but the pizza stone was not. Just a thought

another biggie... when hey are taking the stone out where are they putting it? If you are putting it on your stove top the grates (usually heave iron or flat top) are COLD... the stone is hot! These cold surfaces are also dense. This equals thermal shock. Set out the cooling rack or a hot pad just to be safe!

I have to respectfully disagree about the putting the hot stone on the stove top. I have done this for years with both an electric oven and a gas range with no problems.

When the term "thermal shock" is used it refers to something frozen or refrigerated being placed on the hot stone. Even if the grates feel "cold" to the touch they wouldn't be as cold as something coming out of the freezer or refrigerator.

chefpenny99 said:
I have to respectfully disagree about the putting the hot stone on the stove top. I have done this for years with both an electric oven and a gas range with no problems.

When the term "thermal shock" is used it refers to something frozen or refrigerated being placed on the hot stone. Even if the grates feel "cold" to the touch they wouldn't be as cold as something coming out of the freezer or refrigerator.
That's not entirely accurate. Going from a 350˚ oven to a room-temperature hard surface can cause thermal shock. Ask anyone who has set a hot glass coffee pot down on an unprotected counter and had it shatter.

chefpenny99 said:

That's just the thing, they feel cold because they transfer heat faster. And them transferring heat causes uneven cooling on your stone, especially on a gas stove where the grates are quite well spaced apart.

chefpenny99 said:

It might not shatter but it can cause stress and hairline cracks.

I did not say it would break I said it COULD... I keep my home very chilly (personal choice) there is a big difference between a stone from a 350degree oven and my 60degree cast iron gas stove grates. I do not know about everyone else but I am not taking any chances...

Personally I think it is the stones them selves and not so much what anyone does to them. I mean, do you all not think it is odd that one person has no problems no matter how they treat the stone but others have issues the first time then never again or some keep having problems? I truly believe that there are quality issues with any type of ceramic ware. I have a dear friend who makes hand thrown pottery. And she has been for over 35 years. She has a very good business. And she has to know these things or she would have been out of business long ago. She has to be extremely careful to measure each piece that is oven ware for a consistent thickness. If that thiskness of the clay is even slightly off either all over or even in a single spot on the stone, it will crack as one part of the stone - the thinner part(s) - will heat faster than the thicker parts. I do know this. The quality of the new stone with handles is not that of the old one without. It is a much thinner stone to begin with and I think if we were to compile every piece of data about the damages to the new stones, we would find that most of those stones are cracking nearest to where the handle meets the flat part of the stone. The weakest part of that stone is the bend from the handle to the base. If the material is thinner there than it is on the flat portion it meets up with, it makes sense then that the number of the new stones cracking would be much higher than the numbers of old ones. They are nice to use and easier but the quality sure as heck is not there.

I would preheat the stone and put a HOT pizza (just delivered) on the stone to show how the cheese still oozed 15 to 20 minutes later. I never had any problems...in fact I still have the same stone 8 years later :)

Ah but then you are using the old stone without handles and those just seem to be much better. I still have the very round stone that first introduced me to The Pampered Chef. It is now 11 years old, deep brown as can be and has never given me grief. My new round with handles, I have replaced 6 times since we first got them! I rarely use it for parties and I never use it at home for fear of having to replace yet another one! And I love that idea with the delivered pizza!

Work with HO on this one. They'll support you!

I JUST had my large bar pan crack in half! Pulled it out of a hot oven and set it on my stove top ... 2 mins later ... "POP!!!" :( I hope they replace it!!

Warning...this is long.....

:love::love::love::love::love::love:all my stones! I have 7 pieces altogether, with the oldest one being 4 yrs old (med. bar pan). I have never any of my stones break. I don't preheat them for any reason (and I have warned DH about storing any of them in the oven so that it doesn't happen accidentally). But I do place them on top of the stove when I take them out of the oven on the front burners (not on the back one where the open hole is).

I extoll the virtues of the stones at every show and rarely offer a show recipe that doesn't include a piece of stoneware.

HOWEVER, from every show (almost 30 shows, now) I have done since starting my business in Feb 2009 I have had at least one customer from every show call me about their stoneware breaking!! It is mostly the Med. & Large Bar Pans, but breakage has happened to DCB, LRSWH, RB and the MB, too. Without exception, every single customer has told me their stone broke in half while still in the oven. This is when they call me to tell me about the stoneware....."Debbie, my stone broke last night. I was cooking x, it was 1/2 through the cooking time and I heard a "POP" and when I checked the oven, the stone was cracked in half."

Sometimes, it was the 1st time they used it, sometimes a customer has used their stone for months & months. But I have facilitated the process of at least 30 stone replacements in 13 months. (I choose to call HO for my customers. I know that's not how some do it, but I have made that choice for my business)

So, I have to wonder what is going on with the stoneware line in general?? Has something changed with the materials used to create the stones since Feb 2009???

Its interesting to read about this. I always prewarn my customers about the risks, but even I've been able to put a frozen pizza right on the stone and into the oven without breakage for years. I've had several of my stones probably close to 10 years.

The stones I've broken have either been set on a stove-top eye that was still warm (dh), or accidently dropped.

Of courseI get calls from customers from time to time...
crazy

1. Why does my pizza stone keep breaking?

There could be several reasons for this. It's important to make sure you are using the stone properly, preheating it before use, and not subjecting it to extreme temperature changes. It's also possible that the stone is being placed too close to the heat source or that it is being used to cook foods that are too heavy or greasy for its size. We recommend using a smaller stone for smaller amounts of food to prevent breakage.

2. Can I get a replacement stone for free?

If your stone is still under the 3-year warranty, you may be eligible for a replacement at no cost. Please contact your Pampered Chef consultant or our customer service team for assistance.

3. What could have caused my stone to break while cooking?

It's possible that the stone was damaged or had a weak spot before use. It's also important to make sure the stone is not being used on the stovetop or in the broiler, as this can cause it to crack. Additionally, placing the stone too close to the heat source or using it to cook foods that are too heavy or greasy can also cause breakage.

4. Is it safe to use two stones in the oven at the same time?

We recommend using only one stone at a time in the oven. Using multiple stones can cause uneven heat distribution and increase the risk of breakage. If you need to cook multiple items, we suggest using a different type of cookware for one of them, such as a bar pan or baking sheet.

5. How can I prevent my pizza stone from breaking in the future?

To prevent breakage, make sure you are using the stone according to the instructions provided. This includes preheating the stone and not subjecting it to extreme temperature changes. Avoid using the stone on the stovetop or in the broiler, and make sure to use the appropriate size stone for the amount of food being cooked. If you have any further concerns or questions, please reach out to your Pampered Chef consultant or our customer service team for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefZee
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Chef Gilles
  • byrd1956
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • thatgirl2120