• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Booths Effective for Vendor Sales? My Experience and Tips for Success

In summary, the Vendor Sale had free giveaways for anyone who booked a cooking show, a guessing raffle with M&Ms, and a table with a few handouts and a catalog. No one was interested, but the business card packet was still given to the man.
L.Paz
I just did my 3rd and maybe last Vendor Sale. I had Free Giveaways(a party in a bag) for anyone who booked a FREE cooking show! They also would receive a $15 gift certificate towards their order.

I also did a guessing raffle with M&Ms, closest person would win a cookbook.

No one was interested, I got a few guessers, seemed to be only people who wanted to know how many were in there. I got this one guy who just took a handful of m&m's and kept walking. I tried to tell him those weren't for eating, but he didn't care.

I gave out to almost every person who passed by a recipe card with my business card attached and mini catalog. Even this man, who stopped and looked through everything, but then said he has no family or friends, just a stupid f***king wife, who according to him would be mad if he told about about having a Cooking Show. I still gave him my recipe card packet, LOL!!!

But I felt like I didn't even make one contact.
So, do booths really work? Any advice?

Have you listened to the Booths Build Business CD from Supply Order? It's got a lot of great information on it. Another thing to keep in mind is to pick an event where you could expect to get the kind of customers that might be interested in PC. For example, a flea market might not be the best bet because people are looking for cheap stuff.Also, how are you approaching the people? Are you just asking them to enter in the drawing? Find something to catch their attention. Either a unique product (like the silicone basting bottle) or food if you're allowed (like a 10 minute micro cake).

I will share with you my rationale for doing booths.

My business is not where I want it to be so I need to do something different. I take any opportunity that comes my way to meet new contacts and find business. That being said, I am out most every weekend from here until conference. Some one would say I am nuts, and I probably am. But, last month I beat my director in sales so something is working.

That being said, I keep my display simple. That does a few things, 1. It doesn't confuse the people with seeing too much, 2. It makes it easy to set up and tear down, and 3. It leaves me room on the table for paperwork. I do have a small amount of cash and carry, small items, that I generally pack into one of the collapsible bowls, but do not keep that out front, but rather where I can watch it. If you do cash and carry, keep a list with you in your pocket with items and prices.

If someone passes me and said they don't want my paperwork, I do not give it to them. They are only going to toss it, so why waste it. I keep handouts simple, generally a PC recipe card. Used to do my own, but the PC ones look nice and professional and it saves me time creating and printing my own. I keep a catalog, in sheet protectors in a binder on my table. I do not leave catalogues out and rarely even give mini's. I have signage that states, "help wanted", "show special", and "enter to win". I do have a banner that I made at Vista Print that I stand on an easel clipped to foam core.

I don't need a bunch of drawing slips with little to no information from disinterested people. If they don't want to enter, then I don't make them. I try to engage, but not offend. I offer, but do not push. Stand behind or along side your table, please do not sit down for most of the time. Smile, become engaging, Like the previous poster said, pick events where the possibility exists that people will be receptive to PC. I am doing a health fair tomorrow, and have already booked the event planner! May not get any more leads, but one show will pay for the small booth fee with some extra.

Nothing is guaranteed in this life, but the possibility does exist that you will make solid contacts. If you have the time I would say do them. Others would argue that they are a waste of time. Personally, I am trying everything that comes my way. One more thing, introduce yourself to the other vendors. They are a great resource for other events and can help you build your business.

Last edited:
And to keep people from eating your candy- tie the bowl shut with a colorful ribbon. (So pick something with a lid...I use the small batter bowl.)

Booths TOTALLY work! Don't get discouraged...or try not to! You will find your groove and find what works best for you and what gets you results.

Here are a few things I do:

1. NEVER SIT! Always STAND in front of the table!
2. NO eating or drinking! Water is fine, but don't break out the lattes or soda. Just looks....out of place. LOOK approachable! Dress nice and have a genuine smile on. Exude confidence and comfort! If you are relaxed and ready for a great time, that energy shines through and more people will be attracted to you.
3. Make a connection with those who are walking towards you. Smile, say hello and go from there! If they slow down and look at your table, TALK to them! Ask open ended questions: Has it been a while since you have seen our products? What kind of cook are you? Stuff like that.
4. Connect with them THEN weave PC services into it!
5. Ask if they'd like to enter a raffle for free products. You decide what you want to offer. For me, I don't get success with "book a show and it's free". I get success with offering a gift certificate so they can choose which products they would like.
6. Fill the PDS out for them! This way, you are GUARANTEED to read the handwriting AND get all the info. This is where you would then ask about their interest in hosting a show, biz opp info..etc. Many people (if they fill out the form themselves) just write their name and phone number or email and off they go....never giving an address or answering the questions about our services.
7. Don't pounce on people who don't seem to have interest in your booth. I don't offer them anything like entering a drawing or what not. I only want to deal with those who I know have even a SLIGHT interest in my biz (you know this when they stop and chat with you).
8. Then offer a recipe card to those that you connected with. If people just walk by me I don't ask them if they want anything. Again, I'd rather offer my recipe cards to those who express interest.
9. Don't waste passing out mini catalogs to everyone who walks by. Give them to those that ask, "do you have a catalog I can take?" Then you can give them the mini and let them know you can mail them the full sized catalog.

I do SEVERAL booths and I found the above "tips" have offered me the most success! I only want to deal with good QUALITY leads. Makes your life so much easier to handle (this way, you aren't spending hundreds of $$'s in supplies to give to everyone that will most likely throw away the second they walk out the door). Plus, you aren't trying to connect with several "dead leads" later, that filled out the prize slip just cause they are only interested in the prize, when doing follow up calls. Way less stress for you when you call 20 good quality leads vs. 100 "leads", in which only 20 of them have an interest. You'll spend less time on the phone and on emails trying to follow up...for nothing. You will have more time to spend on your good leads and develop a stronger business because of it.

Also, don't offer TONS of drawings, prizes..etc. This looks like you are REALLY stretching for ANYONE to bite. Plus, people don't want to spend a lot of time hearing about all the great stuff they can win if they fill out this and enter that...then oh, if you book a show then you get....KWIM? Not only will you annoy those people (if they just want to keep walking by) but looks like you are begging for business.

I am a HUGE fan of booths, but you definately have to keep in mind the TYPE of booth and know what you are going to get out of it!!!
Have found I am most successful at getting CONTACTS which = shows (one booth I got 7 bookings and a recruit). For a $15 booth.

Definately Keep it simple and put your drawing item in the back, lure them into booth. My first line is "Would you like to register for our FREE _______." (Item depends on booth, cost, etc.) When they are filling out slip, ASK QUESTIONS, don't just talk to them!! Be aware of their clues (kids, married, anything to start conversations...)
Give recipe, info AT THE END. (If you hand it out first they think that is all you have, if they say no thanks to prize slip then give recipe) I write little notes on my slips in we have a great conversation or any hints, so when I call them back I can remember who i am talking to. I also put a star on any GREAT conversations, I ALWAYS call them 1st. Gets me off to a great, positive start!

THE KEY TO ANY BOOTH, FOLLOW UP, FOLLOW UP within 48 hours!! (If they check NO I don't call, but if there is nothing checked or yes CALL ASAP)

Good luck!

YES - booths work as long as you do the follow up. I typically offer a free cookbook for my drawing - it can even be a SB, but don't tell them that up front. Following up with their dps is the key. You MUST make the effort to make those phone calls. A lot of times people will check mark everything because they think that increases their chances of winning, but I still call each and every one.

Here's how awesome booths can be: last November I did one and met a gal that mentioned to me that she would be interested in the bridal shows sometime in the future. I left her a couple of messages, but heard nothing back, so I figured I'd wait a month or so and try again. In January as I'm at the airport heading out for Leadership, she calls me!! We booked a bridal show for the end of January and it was well over $1K!! From that show, I booked 4 other bridal shows and several catalog and cooking shows. The other 4 bridal shows were all either over $1K or very close to it. AND I now have an incredibly solid recruit lead from out of town!!!
So yes, booths work.

Oh, and in addition to the great info posted above, I tend to give out minis (which are now gone) and then offer a recipe card too. I simply ask them if they have seen the new PC products? Then give them the mini, then ask them to enter my drawing. I've also had people ask for a full-size catalog and I do have some in my bag and I make a silly little deal about it when I give it to them telling them that I reserve these for the "special people".....silly, I know.

I do not take c/c items anymore unless it's a HUGE event because that's just too much work for me! Smiling and engaging them in conversation is good too.

I've had a mixed experience, and pick your booth carefully, consider location, price, and ask how the event is advertised, (newspaper? CL? How far will the signs go?) I'm at the point where I won't spend more than $20 for a booth at most events.

Good points made on here. I do a both nearly every week, and sales range from $40 to over $300. The booth costs me $25, and I am getting exposure, plus at my shows people like hearing that I am at this particular market.I fall into the trap often of bringing too much. All I bring now is the starter kit(s), a DCB, and the month host specials I am trying to book.It has gotten me substantial sales and a couple of shows and two new recruits...so yes, the do really work.You need to know before you agree to one, what traffic will be. When traffic at this market goes up above 2K, my sales dramatically go up. When it is worse weather or just fewer of people walking by 'looky loo', sales are not good. Yesterday's was something like 3200 and I had 180 in sales.

An update to my booth today.

I only take what's in my kit and paperwork bag. I do have a small stash of cash and carry, but that's it. Oh, and I do have a PC banner and demo tablecloth.

The booth today was a health fair, was $50 and started at 10 am. By 10:30 I had two dated booked shows, and by the time I left at 3, I had one more, and a catalog show. I have several people to follow up with that might pan out for a show. I sold $35 worth of products and have a recruit lead. Today was worth my time.

Health fairs are good - people who go to them usually cook at home instead of getting fast food or takeout.Bridal fairs are horrible, in my experience. Brides are getting ideas for the perfect wedding, not making meals daily after the big event. They usually have hefty booth fees, too. Anything you give them will likely be thrown away.Lisette, what was the vendor event associated with? I have a booth at a yearly fundraiser whose main demographic is women aged 28-45, and my contacts are fabulous from it.

can you guys give me some ideas for cash n' carry items. being so new all my display items are coming from my own kitchen. I will have to order some specifically.

thanks!

scottcooks said:
Good points made on here. I do a both nearly every week, and sales range from $40 to over $300. The booth costs me $25, and I am getting exposure, plus at my shows people like hearing that I am at this particular market.

I fall into the trap often of bringing too much. All I bring now is the starter kit(s), a DCB, and the month host specials I am trying to book.

It has gotten me substantial sales and a couple of shows and two new recruits...so yes, the do really work.

Scott, I like your idea of what to bring. I always bring way too much, but have been very successful so maybe it isn't too much (just too much on my back). I never thought to bring the starter kit and host special for when you want to book.

Booths are good if you know what kind they are. If it is something like a craft far or farmer's market, where they will be bringing money to spend, I do really well. If it is a free health fair or other free event, I ge more leads than sales.

I did one last week at a retirement living center which was a vendor fair. Made a show very easily since one woman spent over $100...then Saturday, I was at a Farmer's Market. Again, got enough orders for a show, including a really big order. Best though is the leads I get. One lady wanted a show several timesa a year, a 15-minute demo each time, then let her friends buy since they loved PC and had a lot of it -- and have money to spend. Also, good recruit leads, too.

But, I "bond" with them and let them do the talking. Don't take too much stuff. A little paperwork ...but talk up our products when they show interest. I also take Cash and Carry, which makes fior more conversations.

It's about them and meeting their needs...not increasing your business or getting sales, although that's an inevitable side effect!

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Cash and carry really depends on the crowd. I've had everything from peelers to choppers to garlic presses - and just end up slogging a lot of product that doesn't move (but do I have the Gravy separator they could look at?!)Have the catalog available and offer everyone a free cooking class - you'll get great conversations started and draw people to you!

My favorite conversation starter from Ilene Meckly: Are you familiar with The Pampered Chef? The answer to that question leads you down the right path every time!

Judybabe said:
can you guys give me some ideas for cash n' carry items. being so new all my display items are coming from my own kitchen. I will have to order some specifically.

thanks!

There are tons of threads on this so browse through those. I have great success having cash n carry b/c some people just don't order and want the immediate satisfaction of holding something in their hand. Plus, they don't know me necessarily so ordering is a little iffy for some. Also, it helps people know that they don't have to have a show...they can just buy something. I have followers. People that show up and buy at every booth.

Best sellers: Mix n Chop, Season's Best, Mini serv spatula. Twix-its & Quikut paring knives are good too. But the best is to shop the outlet and bring that stuff b/c it's cheaper (so you can have it discounted) and it's old...can't get it at a show. People LOVE that!! Everytime I say I have discontinued items, I get a good reaction. Don't be afraid to bring some of YOUR products. At my 2nd vendor fair (and I've done a lot now), someone actually several of MY products that I use. I told her they'd be full price since I'd have to reorder them. She didn't care b/c she just doesn't order stuff.

My main goal is to get names/emails. They receive my monthly newsletter and show up at my other booths and buy/order. I always get interest now (helps that I've been doing it for several years) but the type/size/advertising really affects the success.

Yes, booths work if you work the booth!A simple way to get contacts: If someone picks up a catalog, I ask for their name and phone number in exchange. Then I call, ask if they had a chance to look at the catalog and often they'll book a show or order something.Sometimes cash and carry sells, sometimes it doesn't.And there's always the occaisional gem, like the lady who declared "I love Pampered Chef" and said she could probably buy enough to have her own party ... She spent $500 by the time it was all said and done.But BEWARE of party switchers! One of them booked a jewelry show, I had two guests place orders, both put their orders ON HOLD, she cashed the check ANYWAY and then had all her people cancel their orders that I had traveled 2 hours in a snowstorm to obtain!

I've done a booth at a campground where a live band was playing and a BBQ contest was going on. I sold quite a bit of my show tools (used). Some people just had to have them and didn't want to wait to order.
I do a booth at a state office building that the booth fee is a fundraiser for United Way.
I usually get enough orders to turn in as a show. I let the organizer get the host special.

The fair booths are very successful for me each season. It's all in what you say. I too use the phrase, "ARe you familiar with Pampered Chef?". It gets them talking with me. I have a picture of the recipes I'm doing for August/September and offer bringing all the ingredients and doing the invites, they just pick a date with me today. When they do, I send them with the new PC shopping bag, with a HWC pin holding my business card on the inside and a host packet in the bag. They'll continue at the fair "advertising" PC. I usually get a full season of bookings with fairs. I set out the starter kit and have a Help Wanted Sign in my booth. I also keep the replacement part sheet with me, as many people I find are looking to get things replaced too. I have two 4 hour shifts this Thursday and Friday. I hope to get 8 bookings (1 each hour).

Judybabe said:

thanks!

Check your supply order sheet for items you can buy in quanities. That is where I get what i use.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Yes, booths work if you work the booth!

This is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!!

You have to work the booth! or they are a waste of time and money. What would happen if you booked a party, and just went, sat up your display. then just sat down and waited? Little to nothing would be sold? right? Same thing with the booths. You get out what you put in.

I really like doing booths now. I didn't at first because I was getting mixed results. After tweaking my display, I have found the set up that works best for my area. I think it all depends on the area you are in, the traffic of people and the type of people that attend.

I have had two recruit leads in the last two weeks of my booth. Why? Because I have added a sign that says "Now Hiring". You'd be surprised how well that works!

Booths do work...just got a call from a gal I met at the Farmers Market I do in my area...and she booked a show...before I even got to call her. Hooray. Also meeting with a strong prospect next week.

Trish in Texas
Indepedent Consultant

1. How do I know if participating in a booth event will be worth it for my business?

The effectiveness of booth events can vary depending on your target audience, the event location, and your product offerings. It's important to do research on the event and its attendees beforehand to determine if it aligns with your target market. You can also track your sales and leads from the event to gauge its success.

2. What types of products are best to showcase at a booth event?

Products that are visually appealing and can be easily demonstrated tend to do well at booth events. This can include kitchen gadgets, cookware, and food items. It's also helpful to have a variety of products at different price points to appeal to a wider range of customers.

3. How can I make my booth stand out among other vendors at an event?

Having a visually appealing and well-branded booth is key in catching the attention of potential customers. You can also offer special promotions or discounts exclusive to the event to entice attendees to stop by your booth. Engaging with customers and providing product demonstrations can also make your booth more memorable.

4. Are there any tips for setting up a successful booth layout?

It's important to have a clean and organized booth layout that allows customers to easily browse and interact with your products. Consider using height variations, such as shelves or risers, to create visual interest and make it easier for customers to see your products. Don't forget to have clear signage and pricing information as well.

5. How can I follow up with potential customers I meet at a booth event?

Collecting customer information, such as email addresses, at the event is important for following up after the event. You can also offer special promotions or discounts to those who visited your booth as a way to turn potential customers into actual sales. Additionally, engaging with customers on social media after the event can help keep your brand top of mind.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bunksc
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies
Views
sherri lynn
  • bentleymommy
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies