1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Booths Hello everyone! I have a vendors booth scheduled this month at my

1. Hello everyone! I have a vendors booth scheduled this month at my local animal shelter. I've collected some very good ideas on CS which I plan to use for my booth. But today I received a packet of information from the shelter and included in it is the rules and regulations for the event. One of the rules is "no lotteries, raffles, chances or any types of gambling activities are permitted at this event". I was going to have the trifle bowl filled with various dog treats and guests could enter a drawing for the trifle bowl by donating a dollar to the animal shelter; then try to guess the correct amount of dog treats. I was also going to float ducks in one of TPC large bowls and anyone who booked a show gets to pick a duck. There will be numbers on the bottom of the ducks for a certain prize...free cooking show or spice/rub. Now does anyone think these are types of gambling? I don't want to do something that will make me or PC look bad. Thanks for your help!

Jun 1, 2009
  2. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

Re: gambling?

you may want to call them and confirm the meaning. It may only apply to things you have to PAY to enter. To me, "Gambling = giving money for a chance to win".

So you may just be able to do the drawing- but NOT for donations or money. But a quick phone call could clear it up. Why try to guess at what they mean when you can call.

Jun 1, 2009
  3. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Senior Member Gold Member

You should check with the animal shelter about the specific things you want to do. . .I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions. If no money changes hands (the duck drawing) I would think that this would not be included in their definition of "gambling".

As for the trifle bowl drawing, if you are raising money for the shelter they might be pleased.

Jun 1, 2009
  4. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I agree, check with the shelter. If everyone's a winner, they may not consider it gambling.

Jun 1, 2009
  5. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

Drawings and Raffles are two different things.

Anything paid to enter falls into a raffle category and needs a license. They would probably allow drawings if it is free to enter.

Your first example of the trifle bowl is a raffle - they are paying to enter.

The second you could probably get away with since they aren't putting any money in, just scheduling a show and there is no commitment to keep it...

Jun 1, 2009
  6. Lisa/ChefBear

Lisa/ChefBear Veteran Member Gold Member

I would call the shelter, but you might also want to call your local County Treasurer's office and see if you could get a small games of chance license for the day, if shelter would allow it. I think they cost $10.00 for 2 raffles a year.

HTH,

Lisa

7. Re: gambling?

Well, I sent an email to the lady in charge. So we shall see. Thanks for everyone's input!

Jun 1, 2009
  8. cewcooks

cewcooks Advanced Member

I love your ideas, I hope it works out for you.

Jun 1, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted