• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Directors Charging for Cluster Meetings ??

In summary, directors are not required to provide cluster meetings, but some do and they charge for them. Directors are not always compensated for providing the meetings. However, there are special events and regional meetings where a
jcsmilez
Gold Member
I was told that some directors are charging for cluster meetings. I'm curious if that is going on in other clusters. If my director started charging, unfortunately I don't think I could afford to go. :( My understanding is that while not all directors provide them, meetings are part of the expectation from Pampered Chef and the reason they give you $10 per active team member and the % override on their sales --- right?

Anyone pay to attend their cluster meetings?

Noooo! I've never paid & am starting to host my own Cluster Meetings even though I'm only a Team Leader. I have no intention of charging either. Actually, I'm having my first meeting next week on Monday. I've opened it up to ALL of the active and inactive consultants here on the island. There's a director who just moved to the island & she's planning to come & has invited her team to join us. I e-mailed or personally invited EVERY active and inactive consultant that I know on the island. It doesn't matter to me if they are in my downline or not. If they want motivation and support, I'm there!! :D

I have never heard of anyone charging for their cluster meetings!! I have heard of Directors not accepting hospitality. That is a horrible practice and should be reported!

jcsmilez said:
I was told that some directors are charging for cluster meetings. I'm curious if that is going on in other clusters. If my director started charging, unfortunately I don't think I could afford to go. :( My understanding is that while not all directors provide them, meetings are part of the expectation from Pampered Chef and the reason they give you $10 per active team member and the % override on their sales --- right?

Anyone pay to attend their cluster meetings?

I know of no one who charges for their meeting. I know that some upper level directors charge for special events like retreats or special speakers but cluster meetings - no.

I do want to point out that directors do not always get the $10 per team member nor the override. If the team doesn't "perform" and the director is paid as team leader = no extra pay but still the same expectations.

In my cluster I have received emails from my "director" that if you attend meetings they are $2.00. But I live 7 hours away from her so I have never gone to one. I don't think that it is right to do so.

BethCooks4U said:
I know of no one who charges for their meeting. I know that some upper level directors charge for special events like retreats or special speakers but cluster meetings - no.

I do want to point out that directors do not always get the $10 per team member nor the override. If the team doesn't "perform" and the director is paid as team leader = no extra pay but still the same expectations.

I don't charge for my meeting either, but wonderful point Beth! I've been a Director for 5 years thus far, and since the new plan was announced and implemented, I've only been "paid as" a Director twice, I'm certainly missing the income BIG TIME but I'm still providing for my team and doing the team meetings anyways, I just think it's the right things to do although it is a financial stretch for me right now. I'm not getting compensated for it however, and I think it's a major flaw with the new plan, although I feel there are also MANY benefits to the new plan as well! I guess it's a give and take situation...

That being said, we will have special events and regional meetings where we charge a small registration fee to attend. This covers room rental costs, incentives, and door prizes for all who attend and I find this perfectly acceptable. Those overrides, we SOMETIMES get paid mind you, really don't go very far if you don't have a larger and fully productive/consistent team! Just because we provide the support (ie: WORK), doesn't mean we can control all circumstances our team may come across (ie: productivity)... again a flaw in the system I believe - in other words, work doesn't always equal pay!

***But please remember, that bit of negativity is followed by me saying that there really are perks to this new plan, I just don't like this one aspect. And even tho I don't, I still love being a Director and it's so worth it when things do fall into place the way they are supposed to!

My director recently changed the location of our cluster meetings. They used to be held in either her home or another consultant's home. My director switched the location to a room that she rented from Denny's Restaurant. She asked for 'donations' to help cover the cost of the room. We lost alot of participation due to this fact, and have since moved our meetings to yet another location. She hasn't asked for any more donations .... It left a sour taste with many of us.

Patti's post brings up the point that I was going to make - sometimes the location necessitates a fee for the meeting. When my local team was larger, my ED hosted monthly meetings at third-party locations. There was no charge for any consultant who actually belonged to the group, but hospitality and other consultants had to pay $5. There were a significant number of participating Directors, and they each contributed to cover the room rental (that's why members of the group didn't have to pay). As the group started to shrink, our meeting location moved to a less expensive spot, and then to the ED's house. At that point, there was no longer a charge, as there was no fee for the location.When the meetings were in rented rooms, there would also be a raffle at each one. It was pushed as a way to win some products (or sometimes biz supplies) for just the price of a few tickets, but we all knew that the items had been earned free by the ED and any money collected went to offset the room rental.Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with doing something like a raffle or asking for occasional donations if there is a fee for the location. But if someone has to ask every month for money to cover the room, then maybe the group isn't actually large or active enough to justify that location.

chefann said:
Patti's post brings up the point that I was going to make - sometimes the location necessitates a fee for the meeting. When my local team was larger, my ED hosted monthly meetings at third-party locations. There was no charge for any consultant who actually belonged to the group, but hospitality and other consultants had to pay $5. There were a significant number of participating Directors, and they each contributed to cover the room rental (that's why members of the group didn't have to pay). As the group started to shrink, our meeting location moved to a less expensive spot, and then to the ED's house. At that point, there was no longer a charge, as there was no fee for the location.

When the meetings were in rented rooms, there would also be a raffle at each one. It was pushed as a way to win some products (or sometimes biz supplies) for just the price of a few tickets, but we all knew that the items had been earned free by the ED and any money collected went to offset the room rental.

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with doing something like a raffle or asking for occasional donations if there is a fee for the location. But if someone has to ask every month for money to cover the room, then maybe the group isn't actually large or active enough to justify that location.

My hospitality director used to use a hotel conference room for the meetings. She was charged $50 for the room. She never thought once to charge anyone (including me) for the room. That was a cost she absorbed into her business and wrote off at the end of the year.

LOL - my cluster meets at a Coffee Shop, and my director buys us all a drink for coming! So, in essence, she's paying us to come to meetings! :D(the owner is a friend of hers, and he keeps it open later than usual just for us! Sometimes there is some other walk-in traffic while we are there, but we pretty much take over the place.)

That sounds fun Becky! Well I can kind of understand if there is a cost associated with renting a room, but I think no matter what if a director chooses to charge for meetings on a regular basis it is going to turn around and bite them. People will be less likely to attend and get the training/inspiration that they need and some will become bitter. Sadly, I could see their team start to dwindle because of something like this. My director said she was considering charging for meetings to cover the cost of food and materials because she is not always paid as a director to cover those costs (our local group is small and still meets in homes). I am concerned and can understand an occasional fee or donation if we were to meet in a location that charged. But I know I don't feel comfortable inviting potential recruits to meetings where they'd have to pay at the door. :(I'm hoping to start doing my own meetings anyway, so we'll see where that goes.

I would never charge for a meeting. Ever. That is just absurd.

jcsmilez said:
That sounds fun Becky!

Well I can kind of understand if there is a cost associated with renting a room, but I think no matter what if a director chooses to charge for meetings on a regular basis it is going to turn around and bite them. People will be less likely to attend and get the training/inspiration that they need and some will become bitter. Sadly, I could see their team start to dwindle because of something like this.

My director said she was considering charging for meetings to cover the cost of food and materials because she is not always paid as a director to cover those costs (our local group is small and still meets in homes). I am concerned and can understand an occasional fee or donation if we were to meet in a location that charged. But I know I don't feel comfortable inviting potential recruits to meetings where they'd have to pay at the door. :(

I'm hoping to start doing my own meetings anyway, so we'll see where that goes.

We don't always have a demo at our meetings - but when we do, my director asks for volunteers to do the demos, and sometimes splits up the demo ingredients and several people bring one item. I think that is a fair way to do it. When we used to meet at her house, she would sometimes ask for people to volunteer to bring drinks...

I think charging would be tacky and our cluster meetings there is not a charge for them. My director doesn't usually hold her own meetings but we all are encouraged to go to our Senior Directors meetings that are run by different directors on her team each month in Senior Directors home. Every meeting a sign up sheet is passed around asking someone to do a demo and 3-4 people to bring food and it changes every month so no one is doing it every month. When our SD holds our Spring and Fall Kick off there is a charge but it's held in a church hall and there is always food and raffles of sorts as well for the new products. My director tries to have focus meeting for just her downline but not enough interest seems to happen and we haven't had one in awhile. Her life has been beyond hectic as of late though.

My director combines our cluster w/ her director's. So they both host and share the meetings. They send out e-vites, and on there usually ask for volunteers to bring drinks or select a recipe ingredient to bring. They list what's needed and when people RSVP they declare if they are bringing something. Everyone who attends seems to be really nice about taking turns bringing stuff. We don't get charged to attend. I'm not sure if and how much it costs for our room. We meet in a lounge type of classroom at a church just down the street from my director's director.

We take turns bringing food/drink to the meetings. That way it's fair and not a burden. And our director never charges us either

We used to take turns demoing recipes but have since stopped doing that because it made the meetings too long. If my director is concerned about costs, I'll suggest people taking turns bringing a prepared recipe and/or drinks if we consider food a meeting necessity. Thanks for your thoughts. It was feeling wrong to me, but for all I knew, it was the norm out there.

I would not dream of charging my team for a meeting. I am not sure it is even ethical. I do ask them to bring a dish with the recipe to share sometimes, and we practice recipes and word choices, but other than that... I don't know. Just the sound of it made me step back. The way I see it, the training I provide for my team month by month helps me by helping them build stronger businesses. Why would I want to discourage that? The last thing I want to do is cut down on attendance.
I do, however, understand that there are directors who are not being paid as directors every month, and that does take a significant chunk from their income. But still I would think that there are better alternatives to charging.

I do not or do not plan on charging for attending a meeting. I can not have them at my home because it is too much working full time and trying to keep the house presentable. (sounds terrible, but there is not a balance in my life...someday but not now). Also, I live far away from most people so it is not convenient.

Luckily, I have a consultant that is located much more central to people and is also willing to host the meetings every time. We sometimes take turns with the food, but I generally bring something that is a recipe idea that they can use at a party. When the current Season's Best came out, I demo'd how quick the Zesty Ravioli Skillet could be made. Other times, I have demo'd the deep covered baker. Last time someone volunteered to bring the Rice krispie Christmas ornaments.

I was in a dilema before this. A church was going to charge me $50 a meeting for a small meeting room with no cooking facilities. It is difficult to find a place if you are not doing it in someone's home. I wondered how I was going to do it. Luckily, I have only been paid as a director, but I see how this can effect someone's bottom line if they were not paid as a director and had to pay for a meeting place, food, recognition, etc.

jcsmilez said:
That sounds fun Becky!

Well I can kind of understand if there is a cost associated with renting a room, but I think no matter what if a director chooses to charge for meetings on a regular basis it is going to turn around and bite them. People will be less likely to attend and get the training/inspiration that they need and some will become bitter. Sadly, I could see their team start to dwindle because of something like this.

My director said she was considering charging for meetings to cover the cost of food and materials because she is not always paid as a director to cover those costs (our local group is small and still meets in homes). I am concerned and can understand an occasional fee or donation if we were to meet in a location that charged. But I know I don't feel comfortable inviting potential recruits to meetings where they'd have to pay at the door. :(

She would still be getting overrides...even if she isn't getting that extra $10 or whatever it is per consultant. And if that's an issue- get 2 or 3 volunteers each month to bring some food. I don't think I would ever charge. I can understand if big expenses are incurred due to a meeting location at a 3rd party place- BUT that means you have a large NUMBER of people- therefore a larger % of overrides- whether you are paid as a TL or D...it still would be something you didn't have before (and really didn't earn). Look at the override % as an investment in your team, which I think it's intended to be. The more training and motivation your team has - which they get at the meetings- the more they are likely to earn, therefore increasing your override % and probably getting you back to Director status! If they are put-off by being asked to pay money to come to the meeting, they won't come, they'll lose motivation and maybe upset with PC, and they'll earn less and therefore YOU earn less. See where this is going??

So don't charge, give your team a great meeting/motivation, ask for food volunteers if that is an issue- and use Email for printed materials (don't print much if anything). The rest would be an INVESTMENT into your team and therefore your paycheck!

Just my two cents.... :)

jcsmilez said:
That sounds fun Becky!

How about if everyone coming just picks up a few ingredients if there is going to be a demo involved?

If no demo, then the director makes a "main" food item and then everyone else can bring food, drink, etc.

Personally, I think it's cheap to charge for meetings, but that's just me. I"m sure there are ways to make it more on the cheap side at any rate.

DebbieJ said:
I would never charge for a meeting. Ever. That is just absurd.

If & when I become a Director I will NEVER charge for a meeting. You want them to come, not chase them away. Our meetings, yes we have a few every month are held in a Community Center & a small Firehouse. We get ribbons, & if we bring a potential or make a certain amount we get to spin a wheel. We ALWAYS have a demo & whoever does it gets a gift. I personally always bring something, I feel alot of the people are just getting off work & now they also look forward to what I bring. :D At one of our meetings we are told (only if we like) to bring an unstamped new catalog, we put everyones name in a hat & someone walks away with 10-20 cattys. It is suggested that we can bring something, but not mandatory. BUT to flat out charge is horrible & although everyone cannot get a pineapple at Conference, it is nice to know that you may have helped someone that really needed it. OK....I'm out to find some more recruits!! :D

we dont charge either.
If someone does a demo they bring the ingred but my director provides the products and washes them after the meeting.
we always have a drawing for a $30 product if they bring homemade food to share. We have about 20 attend. and tons of food. Whichever Director or Team Leader's cons wins the prize they are responsible for providing the next month's giveaway.

Teresa Lynn said:
we dont charge either.
If someone does a demo they bring the ingred but my director provides the products and washes them after the meeting.
we always have a drawing for a $30 product if they bring homemade food to share. We have about 20 attend. and tons of food. Whichever Director or Team Leader's cons wins the prize they are responsible for providing the next month's giveaway.

Thats a GREAT idea!!

I was going to say I'd NEVER HEARD OF THIS .. .but then remembered that sometimes there is a nominal fee ONLY when we are doing a "make and take" to offset the cost of materials. Often it's just a few dollars. It's voluntary ... you just don't participate in the project if you don't pay. Or our annual Christmas party, where dinner is on self-pay basis. Team training events (including the big one we had in Columbus before the national meetings) also have a charge attached, just like conference.

I can understand a 50-50 raffle to offset expenses if money is really tight, because that, too, is voluntary. Otherwise, it discourages attendance. I figure I'm already paying to attend these meetings ... by driving 17 miles each way, and by taking off work to attend them.

Hello

I used to sell Mary Kay and the meetings were and still are held every week. There is a $2.00 fee every time a MK Consultant attends a meeting. Sometimes, if there a special event they charge a $5.00 fee. But all of that is a tax deduction.

My Pampered Chef Director doesn't charge for us to attend her meetings.

Just remember, IF their are PC Directors charging a fee, It is a Tax Deduction!!!

Rebajoe

Well, after saying I'd never heard of this ... my director floated the idea of a new location for our growing cluster. And since the new place is more costly, she's proposed a nominal $1 donation to offset the cost, and a new product drawing if you pay 3 times.

I told her what people here are saying and suggested that we instead implment a monthly 50-50 or new product drawing. I personally would rather pay $2 or $3 for something tangible, even if it's a ticket, than take a chance that I'll actually hit 3 meetings. But she says since it is a church, no gambling is allowed.

I personally think PC should help directors who have large clusters with this. I do see the point, however, and in the end, I felt silly for quibbling over such a small amount.

This is just me, but I would NEVER ask my team to pay to come to a team meeting. If my team is large enough that we need a different place (besides my home) to hold meetings then my activity bonus would be HUGE and that should cover the cost!!! There is a direct correlation between people attending meetings and them performing well, so I WANT them at the meetings, it will be more money in my pocket in overrides!!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Well, after saying I'd never heard of this ... my director floated the idea of a new location for our growing cluster. And since the new place is more costly, she's proposed a nominal $1 donation to offset the cost, and a new product drawing if you pay 3 times.

I told her what people here are saying and suggested that we instead implment a monthly 50-50 or new product drawing. I personally would rather pay $2 or $3 for something tangible, even if it's a ticket, than take a chance that I'll actually hit 3 meetings. But she says since it is a church, no gambling is allowed.

I personally think PC should help directors who have large clusters with this. I do see the point, however, and in the end, I felt silly for quibbling over such a small amount.

PC does help directors with overrides if they earn them!

wadesgirl said:
PC does help directors with overrides if they earn them!

I was just going to say that. Every month that a director performs as a director she is paid as one which includes $10 per person in her first line who submitted that month to cover the cost of holding the meeting (space, door prizes, food, etc). Unfortunately if the right people don't submit in a month she is paid as team leader and does not get that override but still is expected to provide the same meeting for her team.

OMG... that is funny,

I have been with the company for 8 years and i have always paid $2 to attend meetings, and since becoming a Director, i have charged $2 as well. this is what I was taught and I know that every other Director I know here does it. It is to help offset costs for putting on the meeting which usually runs me around $30 a month if I do it at home.
I usually pay $20 each time I go to a regional meeting/Training as well.

I actually had the idea a long time ago about NOT charging for meetings, but the cost just got too much and I don't think that $2 is a lot to ask for the kind of support and training that you should be getting from your director.

I saw that someone on here said that Directors get paid $10 per consultant on their team... we don't get that here, and I had no idea you did in the US.
If i got paid $10 per consultant per month for my meetings and training, then there would be no need to ask for $2 from everyone, and it would be WAY BETTER!! LOL.

Interesting post!!!

We are paid $10 each month for a consultant under us but only when they are active.

The last time I looked into a meeting place that was a non home situation the cheapest I could find was a church for $50 per meeting. Last month I had 5 people attend (if the meeting wasn't in her home, then it would have been 4).

Yes, i paid $50 for a meeting room in a hall once for about a year. But that $2 I was charging was just not even close to helping with only between 6 &8 people ever showing up, so I moved it home. I don't expect the $2 to cover everything, i just need a little help. I usually end up with $8 to $12 in the pot.

Veeva!! I totally get where you're coming from! Hopefully, Canada will soon get an Activity Bonus.

Unless your team is really big and active you aren't making a killing as a Director. You offer your team incentives, gifts and prizes. You want to have drawings and recognition items to keep them coming and motivated. All of that costs money. If your team members don't do their $150 it really puts you in a bind as a Director. Don't get me wrong the perks of being a Director are AWESOME!! However; you better not stop recruitng or training your people!!

I can see both sides. My director does not charge. If she did I would gladly pay a dollar or two for the opportunity to learn and share with other consultants. I can also see that charging a little might make people more likely to participate and pay attention during meetings (if that's an issue, which it isn't at ours). Often we don't appreciate things we don't pay for in one way or another. There's a theory that if you sit on a corner with a box of kittens and a sign saying, "Free," you'll have a terrible time getting rid of them. If your sign says, "Kittens $1 each," you'll get rid of them fairly quickly.

Kitties? I :love: kitties...free is great too!!

My director doesn't charge and when i become director, I will not charge members to come to a meeting, i want to encourage them. My Advanced Direcftor recently asked for donations and it seemed odd, especially because she is so successful and has a big successful group. Also, keep in mind that in addition to the $10 per person, they also get all the free products during the sell-A-thon's. My director actually uses these duplicates to give away to her consultants when they attend the meetings. She wants us to succeed, as i want my consultants to succeed. Last month I won the ice bucket. I handed it to my top consultant in my group-- as appreciation for everything she's done. Sure, i could have kept it, but I know my consultant will take it to shows and use it. She left with a grin on.

. . . Di briefly wonders if she should quit PC and re-join under Malinda's team ... then considers the distance and thinks better of it!

lol - Di, so funny! Can't wait until Columbus!

WOW... I've been a consultant for over a year and EACH meeting I have gone to have PAID $3. Granted, we eat, and use tools, but last Monday she made the soup (Chicken veggie alfredo, which was awesome), but as I'm eating my 1 cup of soup, am thinking why am I paying for this????? Now that I've read this post it's NOT common? Help me here?

This is a director that "helped" me by supplying a salad chopper (mine broke) at full price + shipping and was so excited to "help me out"...

What do you do about it though?????

mom4angela said:
WOW... I've been a consultant for over a year and EACH meeting I have gone to have PAID $3. Granted, we eat, and use tools, but last Monday she made the soup (Chicken veggie alfredo, which was awesome), but as I'm eating my 1 cup of soup, am thinking why am I paying for this????? Now that I've read this post it's NOT common? Help me here?

This is a director that "helped" me by supplying a salad chopper (mine broke) at full price + shipping and was so excited to "help me out"...

What do you do about it though?????

You happily attend your meeting knowing that your Director has put a lot of thought into the training that she wants to offer you. If you would like to promote you may want to offer to help her. Or ask her, "what can I do to help you so that we can attend the meetings for free?". Are the meetings at her home or at a location? If it is at a location there may be a high fee for the building??? If you question it the best thing to do is ASK!

Before or AFTER you became a consultant? If it's after, say WHAT? Why didn't you a) use the warranty or b) order it from yourself?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• otisbg
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jwpamp
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Kelly8