• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Direct TV vs Dish Network: Choosing the Best Provider for Your Needs

In summary, Carolyn's family has had success with both Dish and Direct TV. She recommends getting a DVR if possible, as both companies have great packages with the device. Direct TV is cheaper per month, but Dish has local channels that are not available with Direct TV.
nikkijo
We are debating if we should get direct tv or dish network. What are your experiences? Do you have it? Like it? Love it? Hate it? Which company? (if you hate it, how long ago was it?)

Thank you for your input!!!

We have Dish and like it. Our Direct would go out if the wind blew hard. Mainly we changed b/c we wanted local channels and when we were on Direct they did not have our locals and Dish did so we changed.

I definitely say make SURE you get DVR! That is the best thing in the world. When we switched to Dish we could get a 3 or 4 room DVR for free.

We just got Dish now, had a large satellite dish before that...and way before that has Direct TV...we're happier with Dish...

Direct TV and love it.Local channels are available in our area for small monthly cost. We love it because I buy my hubby the football package every year and can watch football all the time during the season.

If you are able to have tv antennas in your area. We have one on our house so if we want a local channel that's not included in package we simply turn off direct tv and watch regular tv.

Thank you for all of your imput!! We would get local channles with either one. We can not live without our DVR so that is a must as well!! They both have great packages with the DVR.

we just switchedfrom DISH to DIRECT. we were happy w/ dish ( although we would loose signal often) decided to make the switch when Direct was offering a special.
the Direct is about $10 less a month, we now have 2 boxes and the best part is we can record 2 shows at once on 1 box, so with 2 boxes we can record 4 shows all at the same time.
we haven't lost a signal yet (since January), tons more channels including local and it has caller ID that comes up on the tv (love that)

we had direct tv for 4 years and went with dish since i can get a discount working for the school district. we hated it, so we went back to direct tv. it is cheaper, plus dish would not work with us at all about a hd dvr (they wanted $500) direct tv wanted $200 plus they gave us 6 months movie channels free and $120 credit.

p.s. my in laws had dish and lost signal everytime it rained even if it sprinkled and we talked them into direct tv and now they never lose their signal.

I forgot that the last time I called Dish with a question they had a special going on until I THINK May that with a DVR package if you signed up for bacnk draft you get a $4.00 a month discount. I have got to call back and sign up for that, I did not have time to do it that day.

We just got Dish instead of Cox and DH is really happy with it soo far. We hadn't heard anything good or bad about Direct but got referred to Dish from the parents and they have been very happy with it for 4 years.

Hmm, my tv (3 very fuzzy channels) is free.

We have had Direct for, oh, probably 8, if not, more, years. Have had very little trouble. We got ours way back when because our cable sucked big time. I bought the receiver/system for husband's birthday one year. He was very happy. A few years later, with part of our tax refund (my part!!) we got TiVo. LOVE THAT.

So we are one of the few who actually bought their equipment! Still, it's been very reliable. Much better than our cable ever was.

I *think* DirectTV is what we have. I don't know though. I can't figure out how to work all those remotes to turn the TV on without the assistance of my DH or my 8 year old son.

We have dish and our signal goes out every time the wind blows. We have had it for almost 3 years and our boxes are already too outdated to work. The tech came and said he hadn't even seen the boxes that we have before. He suggested that we sign up under my name (it is under DH's) to get a "new subscriber" package with all new equipment, so we might do that this summer.

hmmm...nice to know that you can switch names with spouse for new subscriber.

Carolyn my mom and step dad are the same way. My mom is getting better, but when I got to the point where I wrote down step by step instructions for everything for her. She does understand now that you have to tell the remote control what to operate. i.e. press tv then power if you want to turn the tv on.

nikkijo said:
hmmm...nice to know that you can switch names with spouse for new subscriber.

The tech said that I need to cancel under DH, then call back and subscribe under my name, use a cell number, and make our address XXX Bunny Drive, Unit A even though we are a single family home. As long as the addresses don't match perfectly than we are a new subscriber, LOL!

And I really do live on Bunny Drive even though you would never know it because the damn teenagers keep stealing the sign!

We had DirectTV was happy with it until the unti went bad and they wouldn't replace it! They told us WE had to pay for that! Uh noooooooooooo!

So since our contract was up, we switched to Dish ~ love it too.

Then DirectTV calls to offer us a promo (the nerve!) and my DH listens, lets them to the entire speal..."no thanks, you folks don't stand behind your equipment"...then went on to explain the situation.

"Oh that definitely was a terrible mistake on our end...(as he's back peddling, ah no duh!)...but would you like to sign back up, we'll bring out a new one..."

"Really? I was told by 5 different people, NO! No thanks buddy, we've got Dish and very pleased we them, thanks"

This conversation went on for about 25 minutes! My DH has a LOT more patience than I, that's for sure! He finally hung up the phone and asked me, "how many times did I tell him we have Dish now?"

"...like 7-8 times!"

DH: "oh....maybe he had a hearing problem." (what a goof!)

DirectTV vs Dish?

DISH!

HTH
Ginny

Had Dish for a little over a year. Loved it until we had numerous problem with signal issues, DVR, etc. Fought with customer service for months regarding probles ( I even mentioned it on here so if you are interest look at threads started by me and you can read the whole ordeal. Cut our losses and went with cable. I hate the cable version of DVR compared to DISH but I don't think I would go back because DISH'S customer service stinks!

nikkijo said:
Carolyn my mom and step dad are the same way. My mom is getting better, but when I got to the point where I wrote down step by step instructions for everything for her. She does understand now that you have to tell the remote control what to operate. i.e. press tv then power if you want to turn the tv on.

I give up -- my DH and son have tried to show me a hundred times. I just watch the upstairs TVs, they're on regular cable with regulat remotes. When I had my surgery last year, when DH would leave for work he would set Mom & me up on the couches downstairs (she stayed to take care of me) with the TV set on Food Network. If we wanted to change things, we'd call the neighbor - LOL

Ginny- my mom had the same problem with dish network. her receiver was so old she had to get a new one because they were going to stop sending a signal to it. They decided to get another receiver and they were going to charge a huge installation charge...she mentioned direct tv and that they wouldn't charge for set up of the additional box....talked to about 5 people was told the same thing. She called direct tv to have them install and when she went to cancel dish they all of a sudden could waive the charge...she is with direct tv right now.

Valky I think that customer service has gone downhill a lot!! Our cable customer service is just as bad!

My dh is a tech with Dish Network. We had Direct before he started working for Dish. There are a few subtle differences between some of the packages and equipment. Each company has something the other doesn't offer. My husband says he recommends whichever is most popular in your area because that's who's got the best local service. In our area, Dish is more popular than Direct. Dh also recommends selecting your service according to any bundling offers. For example, if you have service with AT&T, you can get a discount with Direct and Cingular if you bundle them all on one bill.
Honestly, it's 6 of one, half dozen of another!
OH, and dh said, yes you can cancel service under one spouse's name, and open a new subscribe acct. under the other spouse's name. ;) Unfortunately, it wouldn't work for us because he's an employee!:p We need a new DVR, and we'll have to pay for it!:rolleyes:

What is the difference between Direct Tv and Dish Network?

Direct Tv and Dish Network are both satellite television providers, but they differ in terms of their channel offerings, pricing, and technology. Direct Tv tends to have more high-definition channels and sports packages, while Dish Network offers more international programming options. Direct Tv also uses a different satellite technology, resulting in a slightly larger dish size compared to Dish Network.

Which is more cost-effective, Direct Tv or Dish Network?

The cost of Direct Tv and Dish Network depends on the specific package and promotions available at the time. Generally, Direct Tv tends to have higher upfront costs for equipment and installation, but may have lower monthly fees. Dish Network may have lower upfront costs, but could have higher monthly fees. It's best to compare packages and promotions to determine which option is more cost-effective for your needs.

Do I need a satellite dish for both Direct Tv and Dish Network?

Yes, both Direct Tv and Dish Network require a satellite dish for their service. Direct Tv typically uses a larger dish, while Dish Network uses a smaller dish. Both companies also offer streaming options for certain devices, but a satellite dish is still required for the majority of their programming.

Can I keep my current television and internet provider with Direct Tv or Dish Network?

Yes, you can keep your current television and internet provider with both Direct Tv and Dish Network. They offer standalone television packages, but also have bundle options that include internet and phone services. It's important to note that bundling may result in additional savings.

Are there any contracts or cancellation fees with Direct Tv and Dish Network?

Both Direct Tv and Dish Network typically require a 2-year contract for their service. If you cancel before the end of the contract, there may be early termination fees. However, both companies also offer month-to-month options for an additional cost. It's best to carefully review the terms and conditions before signing up for a contract.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• traci davis
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • ddcook
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
MamaChef
  • Cindycooks