• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Set Open Office as the Default Program for Opening Documents?

In summary, Kristin says that she was asked the first few times how to open documents that she had downloaded with Open Office, and that she found a solution by going through her settings in the Control Panel > Default Settings and checkingmark Open Office as the default for documents of that type. Gert says that he was asked the first few times how to open documents that he had downloaded with Open Office, and that he found a solution by going through his settings in the Control Panel > Default Settings and checkingmark Open Office as the default for documents of that type. Kristin also says that she bought her own laptop, uninstalled the trial version of MS Office, downloaded Open Office, and then couldn't open any documents
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
Hi y'all. I was wondering if I should post this question, but then I saw the responses to kcjodih's post, and realized someone here might be able to help. I'll try to be brief (Hah!).

I refuse to pay $150+ for MS Office (apologies to my BIL), and so we can't open any of the awesome docs from CS on the laptop (and I don't want to use my company laptop, even though I work from home). My Director's husband suggested downloading Open Office, since it's free, so I did. Well, I can't use it. Now when I try to open a non-PDF doc, the system asks:

"Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?"

If I choose "Find" I'm, of course, directed to the MS download site.

Can anyone tell me how to set the associations on my computer to automatically open in Open Office? I am not given the "Open With" dialogue box.

Thanks in advance. This is REALLY frustrating!

**warning - next I'll be asking for help to network my printer to use with the wireless laptop**

I was asked the first one or two times. Sorry I can't really remember doing anything special and was frustrated as you are.. It just switched my default to open office. Now it always open up to open office. Try going to start and open that.. see if you see open offfice as a program. Click on it to open it and then try to open the other document. Also look on the open office screen to see if you can click it to be the default. I have an older copy of windows(97) and it does not try to open it anymore. If you still have problems e-mail me. My ex is an expert with open office and I can ask him.
[email protected]
BTW I love it!! Can't believe it's free!!

Yes, go through your settings in the Control Panel > Default Settings, and checkmark for the correct type of documents to automatically open with Open Office. That's what I had to do. Sometimes when I download a document, I go ahead and save, then open it up. I love Open Office, too!! We have the Excel, PowerPoint, etc. and they are all great.

The only way I've had luck getting things to open is to change my default, but then also select "save as" and just save the document to your desktop. Then you'll be able to get the "open with" option.

If you do what Kristin suggests a couple of times, there should be a box to check for "do this for all files of this type." If you check that, it'll set Open Office as the default for .docs.

Thanks all!! Problem solved. Super easy solution.

Glad you got this fixed.

FYI for anyone who is a college student, or has a college student in their family:

http://www.ultimatesteal.com sells Microsoft Ultimate Office 07 (with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and a bunch of other stuff ) for $59.95. You can download it right from the site. It's actually Microsoft selling it, so it's legit. And for an additional $11 they will send you a backup disk.

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to thank you all for your help - again! I bought my own laptop, uninstalled the trial version of MS Office, downloaded Open Office, and then couldn't open any documents, unless I saved them first. Came back to this thread, and now it's working perfectly. But, if it wasn't for my Cheffer friends, I'd be stuck.

1. What is Open Office and why do I need help with it?

Open Office is a free and open-source productivity software suite that includes programs for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, and databases. It is an alternative to paid software like Microsoft Office. Many people seek help with Open Office because they are new to the software or are transitioning from a different program.

2. How do I install Open Office on my computer?

To install Open Office, go to the official website and click on the "Download" button. Choose the appropriate operating system for your computer, then follow the prompts to complete the installation. It is important to note that Open Office may not be compatible with older or outdated operating systems.

3. Can I open and edit Microsoft Office documents in Open Office?

Yes, Open Office is capable of opening and editing Microsoft Office documents. However, there may be some formatting differences between the two programs. It is recommended to save a copy of the document in the Open Office format before making any changes.

4. How do I customize the toolbar in Open Office?

To customize the toolbar in Open Office, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Customize". From there, you can add or remove buttons, change the layout, and create custom toolbars. You can also right-click on the toolbar and select "Customize Toolbar" to make quick changes.

5. Is there a way to collaborate with others on a document in Open Office?

Yes, Open Office has a feature called "Collaboration" that allows multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously. To use this feature, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Options". Under the "OpenOffice.org" category, select "Online Collaboration" and check the box next to "Enable Distributed Document Collaboration". You can then invite others to join the collaboration session through the "Share Document" option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies