• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where Do You Put Your Garbage and Dirty Dishes?

In summary, Beth brings all of her tools and materials with her when she demos, including a dishpan for dirty dishes, a small plastic bag for garbage, and a larger bag for tools. She usually only makes two trips to the host's house: the first is her briefcase and crate, and the second is her STG 2 and TTA tote.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Where do you put your garbage and dirty dishes during and after your demo? Let me explain. I bring all the tools I'll need for my actual demo in my red crate. I then bring my TTA tote with the TTA in it, my briefcase with paperwork, cattys and my laptop in it, and my #2 STG bag with new/other products. (I never use my #3 STG, and I have two, unless I'm doing a fair etc - too difficult with the numerous stairs and gravel driveways around my area).

I always have a PC bag in my red crate to use for garbage. But I find that if I only put garbage in it and put my dirty dishes back into my crate I'm having crumbs etc fall out in my truck (which is my other baby :rolleyes: :D ) and all over the counter when I unpack. Not to mention how disgusting the crate can look depending on what I demo'd and how difficult it is to get tiny crumbs out of the cracks where the crate folds up.

I have tried using the PC bag for both dirty dishes AND garbage but I find my larger tools won't all fit in it OR I'm sifting through the bag when I get home to separate garlic skin, tomato ends, and Pilsbury cans from my smaller tools. And I STILL have dirt debris in the crate because like I said not all the larger tools will fit in the bag!!:eek:

Maybe I need to bring 2 bags to every show. One larger for dirty tools and one for garbage and then hope it will all fit nicely this way to go BACK into the crate? I've even tried my large SS bowl for garbage but that was just another large item I had to try and fit in my crate!

Suggestions from more seasoned or organized consultants would be MUCH appreciated!!

I have a dishpan that I carry for dirty dishes and I usually take a small plastic bag (like you put veges in at the store) for the garbage. Most things fit in the dishpan but if larger items are dirty I put them in the red crate. If you are having trouble with lots of crumbs and things just scrape the dishes off a bit before putting them in the crate.

Thanks Beth! So how many trips to you make in and then out of your hosts' house? I can make it in two with the first being my briefcase and crate and the second being my overflowing STG 2 and TTA tote. Does your dishpan fit IN the crate or is that an extra thing I'd have to take in and out? I know I have a dishpan downstairs in the camping supplies. Hmmmm

I carry the same bags you do. Going in I have some products in the dishpan too. I can usually put it on top of either the crate or the STG tote and going out it is usually on the crate. 2 trips does it for me unless I have to take my table in.

Woohoo! Well if you can do it so can I! I'm excited now and heading for the basement!

Thanks bunches!!

I wash dishes at my host's house. It gives me time to chat with her (and recruit her) and then I have less work to do when I get home.

My NED swears by it. I'm enjoying it so far.

My director had one of those shallow rubbermaid buckets, and she put all her dirty tools in it along with the batter bowl full of garbage...

This may be a dumb question, but why do you take your garbage home with you instead of throwing it away at the host's house?

Not actual garbage, but extra stuff from my demo (pits, stems, a little extra ingredients) that I just throw in there with the dirty tools instead of constantly walking my cutting board over to the trash to dispose of them. I also show people how you can clean it off with 2 handy scrapers into the trash bowl.

I actually do use the two bag idea. I bring my own kitchen trash bag which I use for the dirty dishes. Then I use the PC bag OR one of the shopping bags I've brought the groceries in for garbage (I buy my hosts' groceries then they reimburse). I have both bags open in the crate as I demo with the crate as out of sight as possible near my feet. I always take care of the garbage before I leave the hosts' home.

It can be kinda nasty when I get home but I deal with that versus doing anything else that would detract from my Show. And using a gargage bag, I can tear it open in the middle if needed so I don't have to reach down inside if food from the dirty dishes has gotten all over the inside of the bag. Ewww!

Hope that made sense. It definitely cuts down on the crumbs in my crate. If I do get crumbs, I just put my crate in the tub and hose it down.

I am taking a rubbermaid bucket and using the Large PC logo stickers to put on each side just to JAZZ it up a bit. Ya'll know I have to have the logo on everything. Then i'll use the bags as garbage bags. I agree though...I'll throw those out at the hosts home. No reason to take those home with me. Nope..no way..not going in me caaaaa...LOL. I am all for doing dishes where ever...but garbage can go just there in the garbarge.

gilliandanielle said:
My director had one of those shallow rubbermaid buckets, and she put all her dirty tools in it along with the batter bowl full of garbage...
This is what I use and it works great! I think I might start doing my dishes there and use that time to my advantage! It depends on how many people were there and how long it took everyone to order! I won't stand around and do dishes if it is getting late! JMHO!:D ;)

Yeah depends on the lateness of the show. I mean most people work the next day. I am sure after orders and chatting and its getting on to 9:30-10, the don't want us there doing dishes.

I throw all my garbage in a bowl then in their garbage at the end or right into their garbage as needed.

For my dirty tools, I use a hinged lid container by Sterilite like these:

http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=41
-Mine is blue by the way...And I can't lose the lid !!

I fit what I can into the container and close the lid to look neater.

My large round stone will fit in the one I have if I leave the lid open and I can put all my dirty dishes in it.

If I have too many big dishes, then the big stuff goes in my crate, preferably in a bag.

Now if I could only find one with a handle like the bucket idea!

I was always told NOT to do your dishes as your host's home but to get packed up and out of the way as quickly as possible. Now, if the host is chatty after their show, I definitely don't rush out! I try to play it by ear but I don't like the idea of washing my dishes at their house. Guess I feel like I would be intruding unnecessarily (sp?). Plus it's so much easier to bring them home and put them in the dishwasher! LOL!

I have had several hosts offer to wash my dishes for me but I always thank them but turn them down. I always try to stress that their Cooking Show is NOT supposed to be work for THEM! That goes along with why I do the grocery shopping for them.

I ask for a small trash can to sit under the table, and then I have a flexible bucket that my dirty dishes go in.

I use the Sterilite containers too, but I found them in PINK!! Super cute and I figured it would be great for HWC.

When I found them, I found blue and purple. I would have gotten purple but they were all broke. Now I want pink, especially for HWC in May.

I have the red crate from PC then another large storage container (I don't use the lid) all my products go in these to the show. I put the dirty dishes in the large container. Take them home and wash. Then the clean products go in the red pc crate when I reload I just put the dirty now clean dishes back in the container that I rinsed out and take to my next show so I don't have to do much to be ready for the next show. I ask for a bad for garbage and leave it. Hosts do not expect you to take their garbage home with you. I have done this for all 9 years so easy and no messes,
I do have the laptop bag, bag for catalogs and everything else business related an the tool turn about bag. I LOVE this before they had this my tools were always falling out in the car on the way.
I don't do dishes at a hosts house I like to get out ASAP and get comments about how mice I am not their all night I hear stories about PC and other DS that are there till 10 or later. I get there at 6 start 6:30 leave by 8 sometimes 8:30 if there are a ton of people to get orders from.

I only take what I need for my shows and then maybe a few extras, plus anything else that the host wants to see. I take mt TTA (I pack as many tools in it as I can) in the TTA bag, my crate, and my briefcase and my table if it's needed.

For my dirties I use that large stainless bowl (the one with the set not the mondo-one....but I'll use that one when it comes out again!). I always carry plastic bags with me too in case I need to put a large stone or pan in there so I don't get my car messy. I've had a FEW hosts who have done my dishes for me but for the most part I take them home with me.

I removed the extra padded lining in my show to go, I load it as full as I can (barpan fits inside on top right under lid if I'm taking it). Remaining products and TTA go in a big rubbermaid tote. In a bag from conference I carry my folders and basket of giveaways.

In the first trip to the house where I meet the host I take TTA & bag.
Then I put tote on top of STG & roll right into her kitchen. I NEVER roll it on their hardwood floors. (Don't want to take a chance of a rock or some little piece of debri scratching the floor)

During the demo all dirty dishes go back into the tub. I either chunk the trash in with it (in a bowl or the inside of MAC) or put it in their trash only if the lid is off the trashcan so I don't have to keep washing my hands.

I want to get in and out quickly & want my products washed with my dishwasher.

I also tell them at the show as part of my booking spiel that I take all my dirty dishes home so I can get out quicker, and they can spend a little time with their families before bedtime..

A quick tip for anyone considering converting to taking dirty dishes home. Carry a can of citrus magic in your car. it has a nice orange scent. I spray it as soon as I load my car to come home. It will eliminate the garlic or onion smell or just leftover food smell in general. it comes in lemon or orange i prefer the orange scent. It is a litle more expensive than Oust or other brands it is small and will fit in glove compartment. well worth the $$$.
Teresa

I use a rubbermaid tub for my dirties. And I ask the host for a small trashcan to put under my table for trash.

I use a rubbermaid for my dishes too. I just keep all the trash together at the table and then take it to the host trash can when I am cleaning up. I like the idea of having a bowl to put trash in. I do it at home, I don't know why I never thought about doing it at a show. I just take 2 trips into my host house. The first is my show to go and the TTA on my shoulder. 2nd trip is my briefcase with paperwork and my rubbermaid container. I fit everything in my show to go. Now, when new products come out I will add a crate so I can show off all that fun, new stuff.

I just bought a rubbermaid sliding drawer, so that I can do my demo on top, but pull the drawer open to throw in utensils, etc. I bring a PC bag, or sometimes just a grocery bag for the big items...and the bags of things go back in to my crate. The reason why I went to the drawer, is because I would have customers come up to me after a demo and want to see the size of the spatula, etc...and I had to dig through a nasty bag of things...this way, the dirty end will be in, and I can easily grab the handle to get it out, even though it will be dirty to show...

I use my crate for dirty dishes and a bowl or their trash can for garbage. I always take my dishes home. I tell everyone at my shows how wonderful it is that I even do the dishes. I also promote how many of our products go straight into the dishwasher so cleanup is easy.

before starting my demo I tell them if they want to see or handle a product to let me know before I put it in my rubbermaid. I also tell them anything they handle that I am not using needs to be placed in my tote to take home to be washed. I always say with the exception of my timer, cookbooks,S&P mill and spices. I tell them they don't look too pretty garnished with guacamole or cool whip (whatever food I',m making)
Teresa

jenniferknapp said:
I just bought a rubbermaid sliding drawer, so that I can do my demo on top, but pull the drawer open to throw in utensils, etc. I bring a PC bag, or sometimes just a grocery bag for the big items...and the bags of things go back in to my crate. The reason why I went to the drawer, is because I would have customers come up to me after a demo and want to see the size of the spatula, etc...and I had to dig through a nasty bag of things...this way, the dirty end will be in, and I can easily grab the handle to get it out, even though it will be dirty to show...

That is a really good idea! It would also help if you have a host who has a low table. Easier on the back!

I bought a wicker basket from the dollar store that I carry all of my tool in. I use the red crate for my dirty dishes. I use one of the stainless mixing bowls for my garbage bowl during the show and them dump it and put it in the red crate with the other dirty dishes.

I bought one of those rubbermaid drawers. I do my demo on top of the drawer, my cutting board fits just right, then while I'm doing the demo I put my dirty dishes and trash all in the drawer. It's easy to just open the drawer and drop whatever I have into it and shut the drawer, it's out of site and all contained for cleanup when I get home. The plus is my demo is elevated with the drawer and the customers can see it better.

Forgot to mention the I bring all my ingrediants to my shows...so this works great for that. I put everything I'm going to need during the demo in the drawer so through the show I'm pulling stuff out I need and putting the dirty dishes and trash back in it. Works wonderful!

I line a large Rubbermaid tub with a clean trash can liner. I fill it with clean products, I have my crate, a bin for my catalogs, TTA and sometimes my SA tote or stoneware tote.
When a host does insist on doing my dishes, I politely let them know that I have left far too many tools behind in a dish drainer:eek: :eek: Also, I pop them into my dishwasher, wash my bin out and re-line it with a clean liner.
I too make two trips and if I bring my table in 3.
I found if I used my rolling tote that I tended to bring way too many products and I actually was making one more trip. I like using my crate and I know that is not what most people like to use at their parties, but it works for me!
I like Jillysue's idea about putting the PC logo on the side of the bin...maybe guests won't think it is a trash bin!!!
I will keep my garbage at the host's house whenever possible.
Ann

I use a garbage bowl too, usually one of our SS Bowls. Now I can use my 8qt one since it'll be a new product in May!

Good ideas about the trash bowl and the orange citrus spray (I hate driving home in a van reeking of garlic!) I will use those ideas!

I take one of those super stretchy trash bags with me and after I have unloaded my crate for my show, I open it inside my crate then just pile all the dirty dishes in there. It keeps my crate relatively clean and I leave with just the amount of stuff I came with. I don't want to use a tote cuz then I'll have more stuff!

I usually use the middle stainless steel bowl with a plastic bag in it for my trash--I usually comment about how Rachel Ray has one & I like the idea. Then I put an old towel in the bottom of my crate & put my dirty stuff in there. I learned when I got juice all over my trunk after my first show that I needed the towel. So it keeps my car, my crate & the host's floor clean!

I take a trash can with a clean liner to my shows. As I demonstrate a product, anything dirty goes into the trash can. This is kind of an ice breaker because someone will always mention that I just threw my food chopper, etc away. I then talk about how easy it is to host a show because I come into your home, prepare the food, clean up and take the dirty dishes home with me.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kelly8
  • ChefPeg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • kcjodih