• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal I Need Your Best Job Hunting Tips

In summary, DH needs a new job. I need him to have a new job. I am done with him being away from home as much as he is, and making so much less than he was making a year ago. I need your best tips for getting a job, getting anyone to call him back, anything. If you have contacts in the Atlanta area that can help him, those would be fabulous. The job market here just sucks.
NooraK
Gold Member
DH needs a new job. I need him to have a new job. I am done with him being away from home as much as he is, and making so much less than he was making a year ago.

I need your best tips for getting a job, getting anyone to call him back, anything. If you have contacts in the Atlanta area that can help him, those would be fabulous. The job market here just sucks.

He has over ten years of experience in banking, he has experience in retail, he is an excellent team manager.

Networking is the way to get a new job. He needs to join the chamber of commerce, bni, anything that will get him in contact with people on a personal/professional level.

When I was unemployed for 8 months within the last year I had to apply twice a week for my unemployment. The worst thing I did was rely on jobs online. I only had three interviews in all of the jobs I applied for that way. What really helped was to get out there and "talk" to people as much as possible. Word of mouth/networking is the best. I tried to find a way to mention to people that I was unemployed and they always gave me great recommendations or were willing to offer up positions in the company they worked for. I worked for 5 months at my eye doctor just by mentioning that I wasn't sure when I would make it in for my appt because I was unemployed and didn't have any insurance. The gal I knew at the front desk said I should just apply there. Now I've moved on and am working with my sister at a hospital. They had a position open in her department and having a personal reference of someone who already works there really helped.

I made sure I kept in contact with everyone I ever knew from several different jobs. You never know where a lead may come from. I would drop aline here or there just to say "hi" to everyone in my e-mail list too to make sure i was kept in the forefront. My ex-boss sent me the lead for the job I am currently working. He did that in June of 2012 and I have not worked for him since November of 2009. So just dropping a line now and then made him think of me. Never burn bridges! The other thing he needs to do is think of every job that may not be banking but uses numbers if that is his forte. he could be a purchasing agent maybe or how about going to work for H&R Block. They work year round not just in Jan - April!

Is he using LinkedIn? It's a good resource for networking and maybe finding people he's met along the way who could refer him to other jobs. What specifically does he do, or want to do?If you want to email me directly, I'm [email protected] I have some recruiter friends in Atlanta (from when I used to live there) and I don't know if any of them touch on banking, etc but I'd be happy to forward his resume or see if they can get me in touch with people who might be able to help. I mostly know IT recruiters, but they may have moved on to other things and I'll help where I can.

I should add my day job is a recruiter...I know my company has positions there, but I work for an IT Consulting firm

minirottie said:
Is he using LinkedIn? It's a good resource for networking and maybe finding people he's met along the way who could refer him to other jobs. What specifically does he do, or want to do?

If you want to email me directly, I'm [email protected] I have some recruiter friends in Atlanta (from when I used to live there) and I don't know if any of them touch on banking, etc but I'd be happy to forward his resume or see if they can get me in touch with people who might be able to help. I mostly know IT recruiters, but they may have moved on to other things and I'll help where I can.

Yes, we're using LinkedIn, and someone recommended Indeed.com as a source for job postings.

He most enjoys being a team manager: leading and motivating others. He's got great customer service skills, so even though he's been in banking for 10 years, those skills transfer to any industry.

I sent you an email, I really appreciate the offer to pass his resume along.

Thank you for all the tips. I've been updating his LinkedIn profile and I've finally got it at 100%! I also typed up an email yesterday, and sent it to a ton of people in my address book, attached his resume, and asked everyone to pass it along or just send him positive vibes.

If you know of anyone who you might be able to forward his information to, here is his LinkedIn profile:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidkragenbrink

Noorak - motivational speakers make a good amount of money. If he could put together a program - hey you never know! Something like - David K - performance/attitude adjustments for the work place! He could teach managers how to treat their employees with positive reinforcement to achieve those tough goals and stretch performance beyond their wildest dreams.

pampered1224 said:
Noorak - motivational speakers make a good amount of money. If he could put together a program - hey you never know! Something like - David K - performance/attitude adjustments for the work place! He could teach managers how to treat their employees with positive reinforcement to achieve those tough goals and stretch performance beyond their wildest dreams.

I might have to have him update his attitude first :rolleyes:

His brother actually does that kind of consulting, and has been trying to get David involved, but they live in Tennessee, and we're stuck in our house here.

Don't leave Craig's List off your list. It's a slim chance but you never know. A friend's husband owns an architectural kind of firm. They had laid off several people. They needed to hire but could only offer 6 months because of the project they got. They just put the position on Craig's List and got over 100 resumes. Certainly not all were qualified people but some were over qualified. Good luck to him!

Becca_in_MD said:
Don't leave Craig's List off your list. It's a slim chance but you never know. A friend's husband owns an architectural kind of firm. They had laid off several people. They needed to hire but could only offer 6 months because of the project they got. They just put the position on Craig's List and got over 100 resumes. Certainly not all were qualified people but some were over qualified. Good luck to him!

I signed into his LinkedIn and sent messages to all his contacts asking for help. This covers the people I didn't have in my personal email contact list.

I've been tempted to try a resume sending service like in this article:

The Unemployed Worker's New Friend: Outsourcers - WSJ.com

I'm worried it would be a waste of money, but I'm getting to a point of "I'll try anything".

Definitely personal contact! Around here we have various "business groups" who meet and have classes and such. In the newspaper here there are always listings in the business section of local meetings..."York Area Professionals meeting at 7pm Sept 12" (I made that up)...but things like that. You never know who you can meet.

Here at work, our HR people and many managers are members of a group called the Hanover Area Management Association.

Also, ask everyone! DH left his job a few years ago. He was really stuck as what to do. At that time I had quarterly pest control service with a local company. I am a talker, so I am always chatting with service/repair people who come into the house. One time during the service, I told the tech about DH being out of work and asked about jobs with his company. He said there were openings, and for DH to apply. He got the job. He is still there and I now have 24 hr pest protection - haha! (For the record, I didn't have pest control service for a problem...I am just SO deathly afraid of some bugs that I always have preventative service. :))

So, even though your husband would not be interested in a service job per se, you never know who has a relative/friend in his field. Or management positions at any of those companies.

1. How can I stand out to potential employers during the job hunt?

To stand out to potential employers, it's important to showcase your unique skills and experiences. Make sure to tailor your resume and cover letter to each specific job you apply for, highlighting relevant achievements and qualifications. Networking and building connections in your desired industry can also help you stand out and potentially lead to job opportunities.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid during the job hunt?

Some common mistakes to avoid during the job hunt include not customizing your applications, being unprepared for interviews, and not following up with employers after an interview. It's important to also research the company and position before applying and to make sure your resume and cover letter are error-free.

3. How can I stay organized and keep track of my job applications?

Staying organized during the job hunt can be challenging, but there are tools and methods that can help. Consider using a spreadsheet to track job applications, including the company name, job title, date applied, and any other relevant information. You can also use job search platforms or apps to keep track of your applications.

4. What should I do if I'm struggling to find job openings in my desired field?

If you're having trouble finding job openings in your desired field, consider expanding your search to related industries or roles. You can also reach out to your network and let them know you're looking for a job. Additionally, consider attending career fairs or networking events to connect with potential employers.

5. How important is it to have a strong online presence during the job hunt?

In today's digital age, having a strong online presence can be crucial during the job hunt. Make sure your social media accounts are professional and reflect your personal brand. You can also create a LinkedIn profile to showcase your skills and experiences to potential employers. Having a professional online presence can help you stand out and make a positive impression on hiring managers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie4PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
lt1jane