• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant My DH's Frustration Over Unfair Job Hiring

In summary, the conversation was about the frustration and disappointment of the narrator's husband, who is the director of maintenance for a large Assisted Living operation. He had been diligently going through applications to hire a new assistant, but was surprised when the part owner of the company handed him his son's application and told him to hire him. The husband is upset because there were many qualified applicants who deserved the job, and it also reflects poorly on the character of the owner's son. The group sympathizes with the husband and hopes that the situation will be resolved.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Okay - first, I have to tell you that I am married to an amazing man. He is strong, kind, thoughtful, and an all around good guy.
He is also a very valued employee, and works very hard at his job. He has a good amount of job security, and in fact, has been working diligently the past two weeks weeding through applicants to hire another assistant. (He is the director of maintenance for a large Assisted Living operation) There have been literally hundreds of applicants for this job, and many of them are men who have owned businesses, been successful builders, etc...
My DH has been so thoughtful and concerned as he weeded through the applicants, and finally this week had it down to the final 10, and was setting up interviews for them.
We stopped in this afternoon to say hello to him at work, and I could tell immediately that something was wrong. He looked upset, and that is rare for him - he is a very even tempered, and calm person.
So, then he said, "Well, I got some news at lunch today - I have a new assistant". It seems that one of the part owners of the operation (owner, but doesn't have anything at all to do with the day to day running of the organization) came in to the office today and handed them an application, and said "Here is the new maintenance guy - he's coming in at 3:30 to be shown around". Yeah - the new guy is his son, who has no experience, and didn't even come in to fill out his own application or drop it off.
My DH is furious! There are all kinds of qualified applicants with maintenance experience - who really need the job, and this guy just got it handed to him on a silver platter. The owner who actually runs the business is on a mission trip to Guatemala, and can't be reached - which makes this even more upsetting, because they know that if he was here, it wouldn't have gone down like this.

Anyway - I'm feeling bad for my DH right now, because he was looking forward to the hiring process, and getting someone in place who had some good experience, and also really deserved a job. And I'm venting for him right now, because the only place he can vent at the moment is to me!

Poor guy. That's got to be tough. Maybe the kid will be moved up and out of the department quickly. He'll be in my prayers.

raebates said:
Poor guy. That's got to be tough. Maybe the kid will be moved up and out of the department quickly. He'll be in my prayers.
He's not a kid! He's a full grown adult. That's why it's so frustrating. DH feels that the least he could have done as an adult would be to come in and fill out his own application, instead of having his daddy do it for him! It says quite a bit about his character, and his father's as well.

Nepotism at it's finest......ick! Hugs to your DH.

ChefBeckyD said:
He's not a kid! He's a full grown adult. That's why it's so frustrating. DH feels that the least he could have done as an adult would be to come in and fill out his own application, instead of having his daddy do it for him! It says quite a bit about his character, and his father's as well.

Yeah, it shows that, no matter what his chronological age, he's a kid. He's not behaving like a man.

Maybe he'll miss a lot of work and "point out" via company policy. (I'm hoping the company has a hard-line policy. Though, as daddy's boy, it's possible the hard line won't hold.)

Professionally that is just wrong. I work for a privately owned company and all the owners kids (or most) have worked here. They work regular jobs, are expected to punch the clock and their Dad's exact words if they try to come to them with any complaints are, "Suck it up and deal with it - Dad and Owner are separate roles."I'm thankful for the philosophy. All the kids have been good workers and gone on to other things but been respectful while here. One is still here and does well. They have to follow the same rules as the person next to them...oh, and did have to go through a "hiring process".That just stinks for DH. Hang in there...it'll get better. Hopefully the main owner can correct it and still let him hire or hopefully he'll be gone soon (the new guy)...

raebates said:
Yeah, it shows that, no matter what his chronological age, he's a kid. He's not behaving like a man.

Maybe he'll miss a lot of work and "point out" via company policy. (I'm hoping the company has a hard-line policy. Though, as daddy's boy, it's possible the hard line won't hold.)

Very true Rae! Age doesn't matter.

And that is pretty much what DH said he was hoping for too!

Oh, tell your DH to load him up with the job tasks so he gets a TRUE taste of what the work is.

janetupnorth said:
Oh, tell your DH to load him up with the job tasks so he gets a TRUE taste of what the work is.

Hee Hee - they are just coming into Spring landscaping season...and the first thing that needs to be done is manure spreading, and mulching, and cleaning all of the man made ponds...it's messy dirty work!:p

Sounds like the perfect job for sonny-boy.

Well, I would caution DH to treat sonny boy exactly as he would have treated an employee he would have picked himself. The last thing your DH needs is Sonny Boy complaining to Daddy that he's getting all the poo work (literally).

Arggh! Nothing like a little nepotism, eh?

Tell hubby he can vent here anytime. All the Cheffers are on his side.

I agree! Let him know that as the newest member of the team, those are his duties! And hope he leaves voluntarily before the primary owner gets back, so there's no issue.

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - first, I have to tell you that I am married to an amazing man. He is strong, kind, thoughtful, and an all around good guy.
He is also a very valued employee, and works very hard at his job. He has a good amount of job security, and in fact, has been working diligently the past two weeks weeding through applicants to hire another assistant. (He is the director of maintenance for a large Assisted Living operation) There have been literally hundreds of applicants for this job, and many of them are men who have owned businesses, been successful builders, etc...
My DH has been so thoughtful and concerned as he weeded through the applicants, and finally this week had it down to the final 10, and was setting up interviews for them.
We stopped in this afternoon to say hello to him at work, and I could tell immediately that something was wrong. He looked upset, and that is rare for him - he is a very even tempered, and calm person.
So, then he said, "Well, I got some news at lunch today - I have a new assistant". It seems that one of the part owners of the operation (owner, but doesn't have anything at all to do with the day to day running of the organization) came in to the office today and handed them an application, and said "Here is the new maintenance guy - he's coming in at 3:30 to be shown around". Yeah - the new guy is his son, who has no experience, and didn't even come in to fill out his own application or drop it off.
My DH is furious! There are all kinds of qualified applicants with maintenance experience - who really need the job, and this guy just got it handed to him on a silver platter. The owner who actually runs the business is on a mission trip to Guatemala, and can't be reached - which makes this even more upsetting, because they know that if he was here, it wouldn't have gone down like this.

Anyway - I'm feeling bad for my DH right now, because he was looking forward to the hiring process, and getting someone in place who had some good experience, and also really deserved a job. And I'm venting for him right now, because the only place he can vent at the moment is to me!

As an HR Manager, that makes my blood boil. Tell your DH that I feel his pain, and I'm very sorry that he has to deal with all this. Tell him to document everything- if this kid couldn't even come in to get his application himself, then I doubt he's going to win any "hard worker" awards. I'm really sorry!!!

This happens all the time and is sooo wrong! In my hubby's job as a city worker they were 'posting' a job for a full time maintenance worker. There were three workers that had been there a year - two years but were still 'temporarys' plus another temporary 21 yo female who's related to one of the higher ups. She's only been there since the summer. Guess who got the job? Yup, she did!

In a totally different area then my hubby but he is sooo irked! Says she can't start a weed whacker, can't start a snowblower, can't dry the forklift or bulldozer so what good is she and what the heck were they thinking? She's got less time with the city and no experience but there she is and the 40+ year olds with families who are qualified aren't.

It's all in who you know! grrrr

Wow, that just stinks in so many ways!! Hopefully this guy won't last long!

So sorry to hear this!

I know exactly what you're going through because my dad is going through the same thing where he works. It is a family run business and the big boss's sons are coming up through the ranks. One of them works directly under my dad and when something goes wrong or doesn't go his way, he runs to daddy. My dad will be 60 in September and as been there for almost 30 years (with a break in between when he was layed off the last time they "cleaned house" with jobs, but was lucky enough to be called back). Him and a couple of the other long-term, dedicated employees said they can see the "writing on the wall" that before too long (before the end of summer, if not before) their jobs will probably be eliminated so that the sons can move up the ladder. ggrr.....:mad:

I hope and pray that this doesn't happen and it's just a "phase" that they are going through. I pray that my dad can stay until he's at least 62 if not 65 so he can retire from there and move on to something more part-time and enjoyable.

1. Why is my husband frustrated about unfair job hiring?

Your husband may be frustrated because he feels like he has been unfairly overlooked for a job that he was qualified for. This can be a frustrating and demoralizing experience, especially if he has put a lot of time and effort into the application and interview process.

2. How can I support my husband through his frustration?

It's important to listen to your husband and validate his feelings. Offer your support and encouragement, and remind him that his worth is not defined by a job or a specific company. Help him brainstorm other job opportunities and offer to review his resume and cover letter to make sure he is presenting himself in the best light.

3. Is there anything my husband can do to address the unfair hiring practices?

If your husband believes that the hiring process was truly unfair and that he was discriminated against, he may want to consider filing a complaint with the company's HR department or seeking legal advice. However, it's important to carefully consider the potential consequences before taking any action.

4. How can my husband move past this frustration and disappointment?

Encourage your husband to focus on the future and keep a positive attitude. Remind him of his strengths and past successes, and encourage him to continue networking and applying for other job opportunities. It's also important for him to take care of his mental and emotional well-being during this time.

5. As a Pampered Chef consultant, how can I use this experience to support others going through a similar situation?

You can use your own experience and knowledge to offer advice and support to others who may be going through a similar situation. Share tips for staying positive and proactive during a job search, and offer resources for improving resumes and cover letters. You can also use your platform to promote inclusivity and fairness in the hiring process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kam
  • pchefinski
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies