• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dilemma With Relay for Life and Hwc - Need Input!

In summary, the speaker attended a Relay for Life meeting and planned to do two fundraiser shows in May, with 25% of the proceeds going towards the American Cancer Society (ACS) due to PC increasing their donation amount. However, the speaker later realized that the money only goes towards breast cancer programs, leading to a conflict as the Relay focuses on all types of cancer. The speaker is considering calling the captain to clarify and possibly donating an additional 10%, but is worried about losing income. Other consultants suggest sucking it up and giving the extra amount, as well as expressing disappointment in PC's low fundraising percentages. The speaker ultimately decides to do this and make up for the loss in income with other shows.
pamperedval
Gold Member
I went to the Relay for Life meeting and have a team that is going to do two fundraiser shows to submit in May so they can buy the HWC items too. I am happy about that - but I told them that 25% would be donated to ACS because PC is upping the donation amount.

I am conflicted though - because I just realized that the money goes to the ACS programs related to breast cancer (I should have read the fine print sooner) and I know that the Relay focuses on all types of cancer. I do not want to mis-represent anything with the team I am working with - but I do not think that I can afford to donate an additional 10% to get the full donation up to 25%.

Does this make sense? I do not want to send it in as a HWC fundraiser since the funds will only help with breast cancer - I know the team wants it to benefit the Relay.

Should I call the captain and tell her that I was mistaken and that PC will only donate 15% and I can personally donate another 5%? I don't want to lose the shows - but I don't want to lose all my income either... I hope this doesn't sound selfish - if you think the right thing to do at this point is just suck it up and give back 10% myself to honor my commitment, then I guess that is what I will do.

I'm just torn - and I feel like a heel calling the lady now to say that I didn't know - but I was reading the sheet that just said the money would go to the ACS and I figured it was perfect - they could get more money and it would help everyone. Oh well.

Any tips on how to handle this would be welcome - I am driving myself crazy over it ever since I realized my mistake!

Thanks.

Valory,I'd call the captain like you mentioned. You can't submit it as an HWC fundraiser anyway, if they're raising money for their team. HWC fundraisers go straight to the ACS. If the team needs the funds to go through them to count, you have to submit it in the Team's Name, which would also negate the additional donation amount.Does that make sense, or did I just confuse you more?

Thanks Ann,

No, you didn't confuse me more - I know that HWC donations go straight to ACS - but the Relay is part of ACS so I figured that they would get more money and I was going to tell the ACS relay coordinator how much each team raised so she could add it to their totals...

I guess I was messing myself up from the beginning!

The team is also having Southern Living and Tastefully Simple at one of the shows - and I wonder how much they are donating. If I knew that - I would feel better about explaining myself and dropping down to 20%. I would like to think that it would be about the same as what the others are offering. Does anyone know what they usually give for fundraisers?

I'd suck it up and give the extra, think of all the people you will be reaching that you probably wouldn't have been the consultant for otherwise, it is sure to generate you business in the future & has great potetnial now
will donating the extra keep you from paying a major bill?
If it were me, I'd rather lose a little and not have them think I didn't know what I was doing/saying or that I misrepresented the program.

I'd suck it up.

I always offer more for fundraisers anyway b/c I think PC's percentages are pitiful.

I agree, my DD came home with a fundraiser this week Sara Lee pies (exact ones sold at local Wal Mart & Kroger) prices start at 13 and go to 18 It is clearly endorsed with the SAra Lee logo etc.

I guess I'll suck it up - it saves me from having to back-track with the captain and seem like an idiot! I agree that the percentages are lame - that's why I was hoping there was some way to capitalize on PC raising them in May. Oh well.

I'll just have to do enough other shows to make sure I earn enough next month - bills have been tight lately after we did some work on our basement to stop flooding a few months ago. Just trying to get caught up... but we'll survive.

Thanks for your input ladies - I knew I could count on you all. I kinda knew all along that this is what I should do - it just helps to get it confirmed from others who understand the situation...

Well, for one, think about the wonderful thing you're going to be doing with that 10%, and for another, everyone's right, look at all the potential business!

I don't think our percentages are THAT bad. Think about the fact that fundraisers offer customers our regular catalog at regular prices, not a limited selection at raised prices. I'd rather spend $100 on $100 worth of PC (or something else that I would actually use) than buy a $5 candle for $10. If I spent $100 on PC, you would get $10-15; if I bought the candle (which I would surely only buy one!) you'd get $5...

What is the Dilemma With Relay for Life and Hwc?

The dilemma with Relay for Life and Hwc is that both are important events for Pampered Chef consultants, but they often fall on the same date. This creates a conflict for consultants who want to participate in both events.

Why is it important for Pampered Chef consultants to participate in Relay for Life and Hwc?

Participating in Relay for Life and Hwc allows Pampered Chef consultants to give back to their community and support important causes. It also helps to build relationships with customers and team members.

What are some potential solutions to the conflict between Relay for Life and Hwc?

Some potential solutions include changing the date of one of the events, coordinating with other Pampered Chef teams to divide and conquer, or finding alternative ways to support both events, such as making donations or volunteering time.

How can Pampered Chef consultants prioritize between Relay for Life and Hwc?

Ultimately, the decision of which event to prioritize should be based on personal values and goals. Some consultants may feel more connected to Relay for Life, while others may prioritize Hwc for the professional development opportunities it offers.

How can Pampered Chef support consultants who are struggling with the Relay for Life and Hwc conflict?

Pampered Chef can offer resources and guidance to help consultants navigate the dilemma, such as providing tips for balancing time and commitments, offering support for organizing and participating in both events, and recognizing and celebrating consultants who successfully manage to participate in both events.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3girls
Replies
Views
NooraK
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • myinnerchef
  • Pampered Chef Shows