• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dh Just Got Braces! Need Advice

In summary, Carol's 14-year-old son is still in the adjustment phase and is still experiencing pain. She takes ibuprofen beforehand and after adjustments to try and lessen the pain. Her husband jokes that she should have just gone without the braces because they are so painful.
byrd1956
Gold Member
Well, DH just got his braces today....oh my gosh....how will I live through the next 2 years? Fixed mac & cheese in the blender for him. So much complaining....how will he eat??? etc...... what is is about guys? Anyway, if anyone has been through this I would love some advice on what foods to fix. I don't look forward to cleaning my blender everyday and I think we'll get tired of mashed potatoes. Thanks for everyone's help.

In a few days, he'll be fine. My daughter has been down the braces and retainers for the past 8yrs. We just had are check up today, don't have to go back for 1yr and she only has to year them at night.

I would try and avoid thing that require alot of chewing until the tenderness has gone. We did alot of pasta meals and soups. Steaks and breads will be out for a few weeks.

Hang in there. Good luck!

Carol

I got braces as an adult and loved it. I am not sure about your DH but when I 1st got them on the wires were not in so I could get used to them being on. That wax they give wass my best friend :) I did not change any of my eating habits...except when I got them tightened and they put the chains (flexible rubbery things stretched across the brackets) on. Sometimes my mouth would hurt so bad I could barely brush my teeth. But if he starts taking Tylenol or Motrin a day or so before visiting the ortho he should be ok

I had braces for 3 years and my first night my mom made steak!!!!

Anyhow, back to your husband. The pain will only last usually the day they are tightened, maybe the next day. Tylenol was my friend. Also, if the wires rub on his cheeks there is a wax that he can put them to protect his mouth. You can find it at walmart or a drug store.

Good luck!

At least guys don't have to have babys ........

I feel your pain my 14 year old son is on faze 2 of having them on . All of that pain will go away soon , give him ADVIL .Soon he will eat other stuff but be carfull they brake easy ....... At least he can drive himself to the dentist , I have to take my son every time they brake
good luck

PamperedChefLayla said:
I got braces as an adult and loved it. I am not sure about your DH but when I 1st got them on the wires were not in so I could get used to them being on. That wax they give wass my best friend :) I did not change any of my eating habits...except when I got them tightened and they put the chains (flexible rubbery things stretched across the brackets) on. Sometimes my mouth would hurt so bad I could barely brush my teeth. But if he starts taking Tylenol or Motrin a day or so before visiting the ortho he should be ok

Ditto to what Layla said! The wax is a lifesaver,as is Advil or Tylenol the day before an adjustment... his teeth will feel better in a few days and I didnt' change my eating habits, either. Well, I did stay away from taffy. :)

He'll do fine once he's used to them (or he should!) - my son was 8 years old when he started orthodontic treatment - has had 2 upper palette expanders - multiple baby teeth pulled - and is on his 3rd (and hopefully last) time with braces (a full set for the last 1 1/2 yrs) - he is nearly 15 years old and has had all this for almost 7 years! He does great with them - realizes what he can and can't eat and adjusted just fine. He's never broken a bracket and is a model patient. We can't wait to see his straight pearly whites again!!

Your son and my daughter sound like one and the same, Gina. Her teeth are perfect! When she got them off, she smiled all the time and it took us awhile to get used to her not having them. I'm sure he will look amazing!

I'll be happy when he has a school picture that actually shows off his teeth - hopefully next year!

I have never had braces but my understanding is that cold foods help with the pain on the days they are tightened. Things like yogurt, pudding, apple sauce and ice cream may help. And they will help fill him up so he doesn't feel like he's missing out on food.

Braces update....for anyone listening.... I'm still blending.... spaghettiO's turn into thick tomato soup.......how about a baked potato, broccoli & cheese, ham, butter and sour cream??? He ate it, but it sure looked bad!

I had braces on TWICE, yes twice. *ugh* Plus several other 'contraptions'. First few days of getting braces on were tough however going forward, as listed above, I HIGHLY recommend advil (I always take 4 at a pop that way its pharmacuetical strength) BEFORE the appt. My appts were always in the afternoon so I started in the morning (say 7-8am) then another dose at about noon-1ish. Then keep at the advil thru at least 24hours and he won't have any issues. Sure he will have more discomfort during rubberband times and what bothered me the most was coils. They look like a spring that you find inside of a pen and they twist them on inbetween brackets and it pushes your teeth more. I always went home and laid down with my head on a pillow, usually at something like sketty-o's for dinner and made out fine. I had mine on for 4yrs, I feel like the Orthodontic expert. Tell him to suck it up. :D hehe

He so needs to buck up! :rolleyes:

I suspect anyone on here who is my age (40+) and had braces as a kid can tell you that our braces were bigger, badder and uglier than anything being put into most mouths today. I wore braces for 3 years (and not those cute little "stick on" kind). The day after a tightening, my best food friend was creamy peanut butter and squishy bread. Take some Aleve or Advil. Please, stop “blending” his food for him. He’s a grown man who can either mush up his own food or find things that he can comfortably eat.

After Braces -

Attachments

• 052715000400.jpg
    052715000400.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 336
byrd1956 said:
Braces update....for anyone listening.... I'm still blending.... spaghettiO's turn into thick tomato soup.......how about a baked potato, broccoli & cheese, ham, butter and sour cream??? He ate it, but it sure looked bad!

Braces are better than no teeth at all.

When I was going through radiation and most everything tasted like aluminum foil :yuck: my nephew came up with a recipe for fruit smoothies. I survived on them, and still like to have one daily.

The basic recipe is...

1 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
6 large strawberries
1 banana
1 Tbs honey
3 ice cubes (for chilling)

Place all ingredients in the blender and puree until smooth.

Variations:

I use a full cup of orange juice these days, although back in the day, citric acid was more like battery acid. Now I replace the strawberries with any number of interesting fruits - blueberries, raspberries, a peach, a couple of plums...whatever he likes. A banana is a part of every smoothie - it's good for circulation.

When fresh berries aren't available, I just use frozen strawberries, in fact, sometimes when strawberries are in season, the frozen ones are cheaper, and since I'm obliterating them anyway, what's the difference?

Robyn,

I had to laugh at the mention of blended spaghetti-o's because those are the softest food on earth practically. :)
I agree, his mouth is tender, anyone who has had braces and retainers can attest. I had braces twice, and had permanent retainers until I was 24. A week before my wedding I BEGGED my dentist to take the last permanent retainer OUT because I was getting married for crying out loud. He did. :)

Your hubby needs some Advil, and maybe some cold drinks to sooth some of the discomfort. I've never have to blend my food, even after I was hit by a car and my braces saved 3 teeth from falling out- I still ate regular food, I just avoided chewing on that side.

You have the patience of a saint. I would have kindly told DH to suck it up- it's not like it was a major surgery- they are braces. So bless you for your willing ness to continue to blend his spaghetti-o's.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Braces are better than no teeth at all.

When I was going through radiation and most everything tasted like aluminum foil :yuck: my nephew came up with a recipe for fruit smoothies. I survived on them, and still like to have one daily.

The basic recipe is...

1 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
6 large strawberries
1 banana
1 Tbs honey
3 ice cubes (for chilling)

Place all ingredients in the blender and puree until smooth.

Variations:

I use a full cup of orange juice these days, although back in the day, citric acid was more like battery acid. Now I replace the strawberries with any number of interesting fruits - blueberries, raspberries, a peach, a couple of plums...whatever he likes. A banana is a part of every smoothie - it's good for circulation.

When fresh berries aren't available, I just use frozen strawberries, in fact, sometimes when strawberries are in season, the frozen ones are cheaper, and since I'm obliterating them anyway, what's the difference?

That sounds yummy, and I shall make one for breakfast! :)

With all that fruit, they taste good and become a regular thing.

The fruit smoothie sounds great! I think we will both love it:love:
I just learned today that his side teeth do not even touch right now....that is why he cannot chew. He says he can tell 3 of his front teeth have moved already, so I am hoping the others start soon. Scrambled eggs were fine and tonight blended meatloaf & mashed potatoes:yuck:. Kacy, thanks for thinking I have the patience of a saint....not so, but after I learned that hes teeth are not even close to touching I may be more understanding.......

I've always heard that adult teeth are more set in their positions, and thus it is harder to get braces as an adult. Also it takes longer for the correction. Hope it starts to feel better soon.

1. How can I make meals that are easy to eat for someone with braces?

When cooking for someone with braces, it's important to avoid hard and sticky foods. Instead, focus on soft and easy-to-chew options like soups, mashed potatoes, and soft-cooked vegetables. You can also try cutting up tougher meats into smaller pieces or using a slow cooker to make them more tender.

2. What are some kitchen tools that can help make meals for someone with braces?

A few helpful kitchen tools for cooking for someone with braces include a food processor, blender, and immersion blender. These can be used to make purees and soups that are easy to eat. Soft silicone spatulas and cooking utensils can also be useful for stirring and serving without damaging the braces.

3. How can I modify my favorite recipes to make them braces-friendly?

There are a few simple modifications you can make to your favorite recipes to make them more braces-friendly. Try substituting crunchy ingredients like nuts or chips with softer options like cooked vegetables or croutons. You can also cook meats for longer periods of time to make them more tender, or cut them into smaller pieces.

4. What are some good snack ideas for someone with braces?

When it comes to snacks, it's important to avoid hard and sticky foods that can damage braces. Instead, opt for softer options like yogurt, applesauce, and smoothies. Soft fruits like bananas and berries are also good choices. For a savory snack, try hummus and soft pita bread or crackers.

5. How can I help someone with braces take care of their teeth while eating?

It's important for someone with braces to brush their teeth after every meal to prevent food from getting stuck in the brackets and causing plaque buildup. Encourage them to carry a travel toothbrush and toothpaste with them, and to rinse their mouth with water after eating if they can't brush right away. Flossing with a floss threader can also help remove any food particles stuck between the braces.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • kam
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
rennea
Replies