• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying Something New - A Conversation with DH

and he said because i wasn't eating out as much. so i told him, "well, because this is what i'm eating now and i like it" and he got it.:thumbsup:
kam
Staff member
We didn't have a game plan for dinner tonight, so I asked DH if I could try something new. He knows there is a new SB and what "something new" means! :) But, I don't think I am going to be able to try many of the main dishes at home. I am bummed since it's all I can do to wait for the new SB.

Our conversation went something like this:
ME: How about the Grilled Chicken Al Fresco?
DH: What's in it?
ME: (read the ingredients)
DH: That sounds a lot like the one we had before (he means the Creamy One pot pasta)
ME: Well, yes
DH: It has tomatoes
ME: You can pick them out
DH: Well, I'd rather have the one with more cheese and without the wine (meaning the One-Pot Pasta)

OK Next

ME: How about the Mexican Chicken Lasagna
DH: Ummm. Not really in the mood for Mexican
ME: Really? We watched the video of this one. Are you sure? I can use Green Sauce instead
DH: Not really interested

OK Next

ME: Sundried Tomato & Sausage Risotto
DH: What's with all the tomatoes? The first one had tomatoes
ME: You can pick them out
DH: No, I'm tired of picking things out of my food

OK Next

ME: Casbah Chicken & Couscous
DH: (silence)
ME: Nevermind

Next

ME: Sweet & Sour Pork & Pineapple Stir-Fry
DH: Are you serious? One word: Pineapple

OK Next

ME: CA Club Pizza
DH: What's on it?
ME: (read the ingredients)
DH: It has avocado
ME: What exactly is your problem with avacado? You eat sushi.
DH: Yes, I know it's in Sushi. But, well, it's Green.
ME: Really? That's your problem with it? I don't even know what to say to that.

So there we are. Obviously, he is a generally a meat & potatoes type of guy. I will just have to wait to make some of these at a show, I guess.

But, the kicker is, after he said he wasn't in the mood for Mexican - what do you think we had for dinner?? TACOS! ARGGHHH!

I would have to lovingly smother him with a pillow in his sleep tonight! DH is the same way though, he doesn't really like to try new foods and I love trying new recipes. Right now I'm making the Potato Crusted Talapia from the new 29 minutes to dinner cookbook. It smells really good.

At about that time I would have said then YOU COOK! LOL I do that to the 6 yo living here when he complains about something I'm cooking. I always say, well then, tomorrow night you're cooking. He always says YAY! We will have pizza! I always respond with, and who is buying, he always says you are, and I always say ahhh NO! You want it, you buy it! He has money in his piggy bank, I'm sure enough to pay for pizza, but he won't part with his money, and he always shuts up about what we are having.

wadesgirl said:
I would have to lovingly smother him with a pillow in his sleep tonight! DH is the same way though, he doesn't really like to try new foods and I love trying new recipes. Right now I'm making the Potato Crusted Talapia from the new 29 minutes to dinner cookbook. It smells really good.

He likes plenty of things - but yes, it is getting him to try NEW things that is problematic. But 9 times out of 10 once he tries it, he likes it.

Last Saturday I planned on making Chicken Enchiladas. All day he moaned/whined: "what if I don't like them, what if they're not good, I don't know about this, are you sure you want to make them..." In the end he liked them and is even asking for them again!

kam said:
"what if I don't like them, what if they're not good, I don't know about this, are you sure you want to make them..."

I'd make sure he knew where the peanut butter and the bread were kept! LOL!
:chef:

My DH is a picky meant and potatoes guy too, but he always eats what I serve b/c he would NEVER miss a meal!

in my house you eat what you're served or you fend for yourself.

AMEN SISTER! : )I'm raising DS that way, just have to keep working on his dad!!

I am so fortunate - DH never complains. He knows better.:D

I, too, am very fortunate that my hubby never complains. Usually my family like being guinea pigs. LOL

i haven't read any of the other responses, but made think of when i got our last seasons best. i started making just about all the recipes in it. (not as once) so i had a few nights of take out and home made lasagna, burgers... after 2 or three nights, my DH asks me why i'm not dieting anymore? :grumpy: i asked him why he thought i was dieting and he said, well, the food you were making for the paid few weeks was a lot of rabbit food and dietie type stuff... (his words, NOT mine!) :mad: hope everyone finds that as humorous as i do!

kam said:
Last Saturday I planned on making Chicken Enchiladas. All day he moaned/whined: "what if I don't like them, what if they're not good, I don't know about this, are you sure you want to make them..." In the end he liked them and is even asking for them again!

By the way, I made the Mexican lasagna a few days ago, and it's basically chicken enchiladas, just stacked instead of rolled. If he liked the enchiladas, he'll like this.

DebbieJ said:

straitfan said:
I'd make sure he knew where the peanut butter and the bread were kept! LOL!
:chef:
My DH is a picky meant and potatoes guy too, but he always eats what I serve b/c he would NEVER miss a meal!

See, the problem is that he WILL cook his own meals. And I want him to try the new recipes WITH me. It's only the two of us, so I don't really want to make the entire recipe just for myself.

ardipc said:
By the way, I made the Mexican lasagna a few days ago, and it's basically chicken enchiladas, just stacked instead of rolled. If he liked the enchiladas, he'll like this.
Good to know.:)

wadesgirl said:

Please do tell how it turned out. It sounds wonderful. DH said it sounds good also.

The only time my DH gets a choice is when I don't really feel like cooking, and am hoping he'll say 'let's eat out.' Smart guy, he usually picks up on this, too!

Also, he doesn't complain until AFTER he's tried the food - when he'll say something like 'please don't make that, again.' He does seem to like most of the PC recipes I've tried, though. The Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a definite favorite in this house!

I love this! I always asked my husband what he would want for dinner...I so got tired of "I don't care" or "That sounds good but could you do this instead?" and then listen to his critique of the meal and say it would have been better if you had done this which is what the recipe called for in the 1st place (he's Italian so it is in his blood to critique food) so I quit asking! LOL Now if wants input on dinner he has to make it! ;)

I'm sorry I had to laugh at this post, the conversation between you and your husband must have been maddeing...like Becky, my family eats whatever, which is nice, but sometimes it's a double edge sword, they love whatever I make, but I feel sometimes they wouldn't care if I fed them a can of Chef Boyardee, ya know?

I can understand your frustration. Friends often tell me that I do too much for The Furry Guy. I contend that that's why he's such a happy hubby. That said, I don't usually ask him what he wants for dinner unless I'm having a tough time deciding between two things. Even then the question isn't, "What would you like," but "Would you rather have Mexican Lasagna or CA Club Pizza?" If he doesn't like what I've fixed, he'll zap something or make a bowl of cereal.

I'm learning that if I want my DH to eat what I want to make without the nose-wrinkles or complaints about how it "sounds" like it will be, then I have to have dinner already started or pre-made somewhat BEFORE he even gets home and can ask the infamous question. Once I've started it, he's committed and will eat it. He may not always like it, but more often than not, he does like it - and even has seconds. HA!if I wait to try a new recipe until he's already home, or if he worked from home that day, it usually bombs before it starts, and we resort to 'old faithfuls'.

DebbieJ said:

That is what it's like around here as well!

What is "Trying Something New - A Conversation with DH"?

"Trying Something New - A Conversation with DH" is a virtual event hosted by Pampered Chef where we invite our consultants to learn about new products and techniques from our Director of Home Office. It's a great opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills in the kitchen.

When and where will "Trying Something New - A Conversation with DH" take place?

This event will take place on our virtual platform on [date]. The exact time and login details will be provided to all registered consultants closer to the event date.

Who is eligible to attend "Trying Something New - A Conversation with DH"?

Any active Pampered Chef consultant can attend this event. If you're not yet a consultant, now is a great time to join and take advantage of this exciting opportunity.

Is there a cost to attend "Trying Something New - A Conversation with DH"?

No, there is no cost to attend this event. It is completely free for all active Pampered Chef consultants.

How can I register for "Trying Something New - A Conversation with DH"?

To register for this event, simply log into your Pampered Chef account and navigate to the Events section. You will find the event listed there and can register by clicking on it and following the instructions. Space is limited, so be sure to register early to secure your spot.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Becca_in_MD
  • sfdavis918
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dianevill
  • etteluap70PC