• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Perfectly Baked Pie in Stoneware

In summary, tips for cooking pie in stoneware include adding 5 minutes to the cook time, using the center or second level from the bottom of the oven, and potentially pre-cooking the crust or filling. Some prefer using metal pie plates over deep dish stoneware for pies. Other recommended uses for stoneware include casseroles, side dishes, and quiches. For a crowd-pleasing appetizer, try spreading cream cheese, salsa, and shredded cheese in a stoneware pie plate and baking until the cheese bubbles. Adjusting oven temperature and precooking the filling or crust can also help with a gooey center in pies.
pamperedalf
Silver Member
Okay I have a customer who has tried to make an apple pie twice and the center is coming out gooey. Do any of you have any tips for cooking pie in the stoneware.

I don't make pie often & when I do I don't time it so I don't know if I cook it longer or not.

I did a search and couldn't find anything, so any tips are appreciated.

TIA:chef::D

As with cooking anything in stones, she should be adding about 5 minutes on to the cooktime.
With the specific pie recipe - is it one she's made before in a different dish and it worked then? Or is it something she's never tried. I fancy myself a bit of a pie expert and it could just be the recipe itself. Some pies are more "gooey" while others are fairly stiff. It all depends on the filling.

Also have her try lowering her oven shelf - if it is in the top 1/3 of the oven, it would have an impact. It should be center, or the 2nd level up from the bottom.

The stoneware pie plate is deep dish - so it will always take longer - I've found up to 15-20 minutes longer sometimes for a pie.

Personally, I rarely use my DDPP's for pies. We don't care for deep dish pies as much. I use them for casseroles, and side dishes, and quiches. I am completely in love with the new metal pie plate. We've made pumpkin and pecan pies in that during the Holidays, and they were wonderful!

I do all my pies in the DD Pie Stone and LOVE them. The do take a few minutes longer but so worth it. I can put a ton more filling in them - I love the crust but I'm all about the filling vs crust ratio being higher.

Thanks Ladies!

I'm a deep dish pie fan as well. I always put foil around the crust to keep it from browning too fast before the center is done.

We've been using ours for a real crowd-pleasing appetizer:
Allow a brick of cream cheese to get to room temperature
Spread it in the bottom of the pie plate
Pour a jar of (mild) salsa evenly on top
Pour a bag of 5 (or 3) shredded Mexican cheese evenly on topBake @350 for 15 - 20 minutes until cheese bubbles
Serve with sturdy tortilla chips (scoops)

ALot2Learn said:
We've been using ours for a real crowd-pleasing appetizer:
Allow a brick of cream cheese to get to room temperature
Spread it in the bottom of the pie plate
Pour a jar of (mild) salsa evenly on top
Pour a bag of 5 (or 3) shredded Mexican cheese evenly on top

Bake @350 for 15 - 20 minutes until cheese bubbles
Serve with sturdy tortilla chips (scoops)

We do the same thing with the mini baker ;)

Is it the center of the crust that is coming out gooey? She can precook the crust for several minutes before adding the filling. I always do that. I make apple pie in mine and it I prebake the crust. It comes out fine.

If it is the apple mixture that's coming out funny, then she can precook the apples in the microwave for about 5 minutes, then add it to the precooked pie crust. Should be fine.

1. How do I prevent my pie crust from sticking to the stoneware?

To prevent sticking, it is important to properly season your stoneware before use. This can be done by rubbing a small amount of vegetable oil onto the stoneware surface and baking it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Another tip is to lightly dust the stoneware with flour before placing the pie crust on top.

2. Can I use stoneware to bake frozen pies?

Yes, stoneware is great for baking frozen pies. However, make sure to preheat the stoneware in the oven before placing the frozen pie onto it. This will prevent the stoneware from cracking due to sudden temperature changes.

3. How do I prevent the bottom of my pie from getting soggy?

Soggy bottom crusts can be avoided by preheating the stoneware in the oven before placing the pie onto it. This will ensure that the crust bakes evenly and does not become soggy. You can also try brushing the bottom of the crust with an egg wash before adding the filling, as this creates a barrier and helps to prevent sogginess.

4. Can I use stoneware to bake fruit pies with a lattice top crust?

Yes, stoneware is perfect for baking fruit pies with lattice top crusts. However, make sure to lightly brush the lattice top with butter before baking to ensure a golden and crisp crust.

5. How do I clean my stoneware after baking a pie?

Cleaning stoneware is easy and simple. After the stoneware has cooled down, soak it in warm water for a few minutes to loosen any food residue. Then, use a non-abrasive sponge or brush to gently scrub the surface. Avoid using soap as it can get absorbed into the stoneware and affect the flavor of your next baked good.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • ChefDi
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefDi
Replies