• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Tips for Using a Ridged Baker: Avoiding Bacon Flavored Pies

Use a baking soda paste and a new, clean brush to wash down the ridges really good. Rinse well and let air dry. You should be fine. My DH would love for me to do a test run of those apple pies!
grgann
Hi!
So I am doing a show this weekend and making the "mile high apple pies" and will want to show off the new ridged baker.... however.... my family has made good use of it doing bacon in the microwave, and I am scared my pies will have bacon flavor! Advice? Should I just use another stone, like the round mini-baker for the apples?

Stones have been used for meats and desserts all the time. We cook Chicken in the DCB and then turn around and do chocolate cake. The flavor does not stay on the stone, as long as you are washing it. ;)It should be fine! But if this is the first time you've done the apple pies, do a practice run before your show - both to practice it (I never do a recipe at a show without a practice run! Just in case....), but you can also taste them. You'll see. ;)

yes that makes sense, I use my bar pans for everything... I guess my concern with this is that the bacon produces so much grease, which does not occur when I do chicken, etc.... that I was worried it remained. You are right that I need to practice it... my family won't care if there is a hint of bacon in their pie... ;)
Like my other stones I pretty much just scrape it and rinse it... which is why I am concerned there will be bacon grease left behind....

I use a fresh clean (no soap) dish rag - like a handiwipe to clean the ridged baker and it looks brand new. Even after about 10 times cooking bacon.

Use a baking soda paste and a new, clean brush to wash down the ridges really good. Rinse well and let air dry. You should be fine. My DH would love for me to do a test run of those apple pies!

chefa said:

yes and if you have a pc kitchen brush to get into the grooves it will be even quicker!

I'm wondering if one of those Scotchbrite pads might work well for cleaning the stones?

Teresa LM said:
I'm wondering if one of those Scotchbrite pads might work well for cleaning the stones?

Be careful what you use. My son used some kind of blue pad the color of the pad came off on the stoneware :eek:

1. What is a ridged baker and how do I use it?

A ridged baker is a baking dish with raised ridges on the bottom, designed to elevate food and allow for even cooking and browning. To use it, simply place the food (such as vegetables, meats, or even bread) on top of the ridges and bake as you normally would.

2. Can I use a ridged baker in the microwave?

No, a ridged baker is not safe to use in the microwave. It is designed for use in the oven only.

3. Is it necessary to grease a ridged baker before using it?

It is not necessary to grease a ridged baker, as the ridges allow for air circulation and prevent food from sticking. However, you can lightly coat the ridges with oil or cooking spray if desired.

4. How do I clean a ridged baker?

A ridged baker can be cleaned with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the ridges.

5. Can I use a ridged baker for baking desserts?

Yes, a ridged baker can be used for baking a variety of foods, including desserts like cakes, brownies, and even fruit crisps. Just be sure to adjust baking times and temperatures as needed for your specific recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bexs50
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jaye
  • allergycooker
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
janice moore
  • DebPC