• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Deep Dish Pie Plate - Crust Falling Over?

In summary, if you are experiencing issues with your pie crust falling over, there are a few tips to help prevent it. Chill the dough, use a pie weight, dock the crust, use a pie crust shield, and consider using a metal pie dish to ensure even baking. Following these tips should result in a perfectly shaped pie crust.
ChefinHarmony
I had a customer who said "every time I try to bake the pie crust empty, it ends up falling over on itself" Has anyone heard of this? How can she prevent it?
Thanks!
Joanne

I have the same problemAnd it gets so darn flustrating. In fact, on my trip to the grocery store on Friday night at 10:30 pm, I decided to call customer service, in which they transfered me to the test kitchen dept, and I had to leave a msg. Yesterday, they called me back and told me you need to make sure you are pressing the crust on the top of the pie plate - not just the sides. Then it shouldn't fall down.

I did notice, that when I did it on Friday night (for the 3rd time) I pressed it on the top of the pie plate. It didn't look all fancy and fluted, but did stay up in the pie plate.

If anyone else has some tips, I'd love to have them too!

Yes, I have heard of this issue before. There are a few possible causes for this problem, and here are some tips to help prevent it from happening:1. Chill the dough: One common cause of a pie crust falling over is that the dough is too warm and soft. Make sure to chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out and placing it in the pie dish. This will help the dough hold its shape better.2. Use a pie weight: Another way to prevent the crust from falling over is to use a pie weight while blind baking (baking the crust without filling). This can be a bag of dried beans, rice, or even special ceramic or metal pie weights. Place the weight on top of the crust while it bakes to help keep it from shrinking and falling over.3. Dock the crust: Docking is the process of poking small holes in the crust with a fork before baking. This allows steam to escape and prevents the crust from puffing up and shrinking. Make sure to dock the bottom and sides of the crust.4. Use a pie crust shield: If the edges of the crust are browning too quickly while the pie is baking, you can use a pie crust shield to protect them. This can be a homemade foil ring or a special silicone shield that can be placed over the crust.5. Use a metal pie dish: Glass or ceramic pie dishes are beautiful, but they tend to conduct heat differently than metal ones. This can cause the crust to bake unevenly and possibly fall over. Using a metal pie dish can help prevent this issue.By following these tips, your customer should be able to bake a perfectly shaped pie crust every time. Happy baking!

1. Why does my crust keep falling over when I use the Deep Dish Pie Plate?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure you are using enough dough to line the entire pie plate, including the sides. Also, be sure to press the dough firmly against the sides of the plate to help it stay in place. Another tip is to use cold dough and chill the pie plate before adding the dough to help it hold its shape.

2. Can I use store-bought pie crust in the Deep Dish Pie Plate?

Yes, you can use store-bought pie crust in the Deep Dish Pie Plate. Just be sure to follow the directions on the package and adjust the baking time as needed.

3. How do I prevent the crust from shrinking in the Deep Dish Pie Plate?

To prevent the crust from shrinking, be sure to chill the pie crust before baking it in the Deep Dish Pie Plate. You can also use pie weights or dried beans to keep the crust in place while it bakes.

4. Should I pre-bake the crust before adding the filling to the Deep Dish Pie Plate?

It depends on the recipe you are using. Some recipes may call for pre-baking the crust before adding the filling, while others may have you add the filling to the unbaked crust. Follow the instructions in your specific recipe for best results.

5. Can I use the Deep Dish Pie Plate for other types of baked goods?

Yes, the Deep Dish Pie Plate can be used for other types of baked goods such as quiches, tarts, and fruit crisps. Just be sure to adjust the baking time and temperature according to your recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Energizermom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • StacieB
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
cathyskitchen
  • jrstephens