• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter

In summary, the conversation discusses a mother's dilemma about hosting a direct-sales party for her daughter's new business venture. The mother is uncomfortable with the idea of using her friends' friendship to sell products, but her daughter is upset and feels abandoned. Abby, the columnist, notes that direct sales companies are becoming popular in light of the recession, but many people have become wise to the fact that these parties are more promotional than social. The conversation also includes some personal opinions about the effectiveness and enjoyment of home parties.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
This article was in my Sunday paper:

Dear Abby: Daughter plans to host direct-sales party

Dear Abby: My daughter, "Amelia," recently joined the ranks of a "direct sales force." She has asked me to make arrangements so she can present her products to my circle of friends. I love Amelia beyond words and would do anything to support her, but I told her that in this instance I felt I would be betraying my friends by "using" their friendship.

In my opinion, hosting a "party" for the purpose of selling makes the invitees feel obligated to buy something whether they need it or not. I told Amelia I don't want to put my friends in that position. My daughter took immediate offense and told me I was way off-base because attendees are "free to purchase products -- or not -- as they choose." In other words, I'm the one with the hang-up and it isn't necessarily shared by others.

It upsets me terribly that my daughter is now angry and thinks I have abandoned her because I'm uncomfortable supporting this effort. She has another successful career, so this venture is not a matter of financial life or death to her. What should I do? -- In a Tough Spot in Illinois

Abby: Direct sales companies are rapidly expanding their forces these days, in light of the recession. And many people regard it as an attractive opportunity to replace lost income or hedge against job loss. According to USA Today, there are now roughly 15 million direct sellers in the United States.

With all that "partying" going on -- the objective of which is to sell, sell, sell -- many people have wised up to the fact they are promotional rather than social in nature and refuse the invitations. I see nothing wrong with inviting your friends, as long as they understand, in advance, the purpose of the party as well as the fact that you won't be personally offended if they do not choose to participate.

Do you think her daughter is selling PC now - she's in IL

pamperedlinda said:
Do you think her daughter is selling PC now - she's in IL

There are plenty of DS companies here, not just PC! It could be any company.

DebbieJ said:
There are plenty of DS companies here, not just PC! It could be any company.

I know - it just struck me as funny. I have run into a few people like her, unfortunately.

I read this too....I thought she could have been a little kinder....

Nanisu said:
I read this too....I thought she could have been a little kinder....

Abby or the mom? LOL

I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate - I just thought it was funny that the mom wrote to Dear Abby about it.

My mom would not write to Dear Abby, but this would be her if I pushed her to do a party. Just my opinion, but if I were Amanda I would lay off mom.

I like that Abby seems supportive but what upsets me is Abby's response about direct sales parties not being a social gathering but a marketing ploy. "many people have wised up to the fact they are promotional rather than social in nature and refuse the invitations"

Come on, Abby...have a party and tell me it's not fun!

I think people already have their opinions about home parties... either they like them and go or don't like them and don't go. I can't believe that reading this letter would change anyone's view either way.

This is true. Guess I won't call Abby to see if she wants to do a fall party!!!:approve:

Related to Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter

1. What is the purpose of the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter"?

The "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" is a promotional letter designed to introduce and sell the products offered by Pampered Chef. It aims to inform potential customers about the benefits and features of the products, and ultimately encourage them to make a purchase.

2. How can I receive a copy of the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter"?

You can receive a copy of the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" by contacting your local Pampered Chef consultant or by visiting the Pampered Chef website. You may also receive the letter as part of a promotional campaign or event.

3. Is the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" personalized for each recipient?

Yes, the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" is personalized for each recipient. It includes their name, address, and other details to make the letter more personal and relevant to them.

4. Can I share the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" with my friends and family?

Yes, you can share the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" with your friends and family. In fact, we encourage you to do so! Our goal is to reach as many potential customers as possible and spread the word about our amazing products.

5. Are there any special offers or discounts mentioned in the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter"?

Yes, the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" may include special offers or discounts for our products. These offers are only available for a limited time, so be sure to take advantage of them while you can!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
ChefGwendolyn
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • Dale C
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies