• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter

In summary, Daughter plans to host a direct sales party for her friends, but her mother is uncomfortable with the promotional nature of the event.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
This article was in my Sunday paper:

Dear Abby: Daughter plans to host direct-sales party

Dear Abby: My daughter, "Amelia," recently joined the ranks of a "direct sales force." She has asked me to make arrangements so she can present her products to my circle of friends. I love Amelia beyond words and would do anything to support her, but I told her that in this instance I felt I would be betraying my friends by "using" their friendship.

In my opinion, hosting a "party" for the purpose of selling makes the invitees feel obligated to buy something whether they need it or not. I told Amelia I don't want to put my friends in that position. My daughter took immediate offense and told me I was way off-base because attendees are "free to purchase products -- or not -- as they choose." In other words, I'm the one with the hang-up and it isn't necessarily shared by others.

It upsets me terribly that my daughter is now angry and thinks I have abandoned her because I'm uncomfortable supporting this effort. She has another successful career, so this venture is not a matter of financial life or death to her. What should I do? -- In a Tough Spot in Illinois

Abby: Direct sales companies are rapidly expanding their forces these days, in light of the recession. And many people regard it as an attractive opportunity to replace lost income or hedge against job loss. According to USA Today, there are now roughly 15 million direct sellers in the United States.

With all that "partying" going on -- the objective of which is to sell, sell, sell -- many people have wised up to the fact they are promotional rather than social in nature and refuse the invitations. I see nothing wrong with inviting your friends, as long as they understand, in advance, the purpose of the party as well as the fact that you won't be personally offended if they do not choose to participate.

Do you think her daughter is selling PC now - she's in IL

Wow....I'm speechless

No surprise here, really. A lot of people feel that way. Daughter needs to not be offended and move on by asking other people instead.

I was in a completely different DS company a few years ago, and this was the exact same response my sister had - she had a distrust of DS companies due to a bad experience her in-laws had.

When I started doing PC, I gave her a couple of things as a gift. She bought more, then her husband bought ALOT of stuff for her, his mom, and his sister for Christmas. My sister has since hosted a party, and really loves PC products (no, she'll never sell, but that's ok, if everyone sold there'd be no hosts and customers, right? got that from NC).

There will always be people who have this opinion of direct sales. No amount of reason will change their minds. On the other hand, the very fact that "Direct sales companies are rapidly expanding their forces these days . . ." tells me that there are plenty of people out there with a different view. I'm with Kieth--move on.

I find it funny that people feel they are pressuring their friends since I come across SO many people that have been just WAITING for a show and wish a friend would invite them.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate - I just though it was funny that it went to Dear Abby! LOL

You should have known better. Everything here becomes a debate. LOL!

I'm not sure if she's selling PC b/c there are a lot of direct sales company. Not everybody in Ill. is a PC consultant!I'd move on too.When I started my biz I asked people if they would host a party if I signed on. Some said yes, some said no, and I was fine with that b/c if somebody doesn't want to host a show, then I know they wouldn't be very motivated so it would basically be a waste of time!However, I'm glad Abby said what she did ... just because Mom feels that way, who is to say her friends would feel the same way?

raebates said:
You should have known better. Everything here becomes a debate. LOL!

LOL! So true Rae.

A few weeks ago there was a article in the Washington Post about the fantastic benefits of Direct sales esp PC the picture showed a lady with her PC apron on, and it certainly has helped her family. My hubby won't complain either when my next check comes and I get to pay for DD back 2 school stuff.

Yeah I just feel bad for the girl. I mean if she can't even get her family to support her when she is just starting out, that has got to have been discouraging for her.

I can relate to how that girl feels. I have yet to have any of my sisters, mom, aunts, etc. that hosted a show for me :-(

My MIL is a wonderful lady and will support me in anything I do but she will not have a party for me. It's just not her. She would rather just buy. I respect her for that. Apparently there are probably other underlaying issues in this family that the direct sales thing is just another thing in the basket. Who knows, hopefully the daughter will move on.

I think the mother is the one with the hangup - she is projecting her feelings on to her friends. I hope the daughter got over it and launched her DS career successfully. I know better than to ask my mother to host - she has told me to my face that the products are overpriced. That's Ok with me.

One of my recruits is a friend and former coworker. When I started PC, her response was "I don't want to have people over to my house and ask them to buy something." A year later, she actually reached out to me to host, and she signed in January.

I'm glad the letter was published and that Abby didn't trash DS.

We also don't know what DS she was starting up. My gut tells me it is not PC. I know several people who would rather have a PC party than a jewelry or otherwise. Only because PC products are put to use daily where jewelry or the likes is not an everyday need. In these harsh economic times people are not thinking of spending $80 on a necklace or wall hanging but will spend $80 on PC products that make their life in the kitchen easier and speedier. Making a PC business easier to support.

I truly believe that PC is a mountain above the rest in this industry!
The reason I believe this is because I'm one of "those people" that get very uneasy with feeling pressured to do things/buy things. PC is the only direct selling company I've had experience with that I didn't get that uneasy feeling about.
Just for cattiness sakes - this girl probably started selling jewelry, Linda!!!

Don't most consultants find that the majority of their friends and family react the same way? How many are really able to get a show from close friends/family as we hoped? I know I didn't...not my local friends anyway.

esavvymom said:
Don't most consultants find that the majority of their friends and family react the same way? How many are really able to get a show from close friends/family as we hoped? I know I didn't...not my local friends anyway.

I bet statistic-wise, you get a very small percentage of consultants with zero percent support and a small percent with complete support. Then, the rest of us fall in the middle somewhere!
I, personally can count on at least 3 close friends to have one show a year (but these friends do not want a demo at all, so these shows can be uncomfortable at times), and I have about 3 family members that will do catalog shows if something interests them.

I was really surprised to have both of my parents point out the article to me. First of all because I feel like my parents have been completely supportive and secondly because I feel like I had to BEG my mother to host a show. She eventually hosted a host, after a little coaching help from my dad! Now she has 2 magnets on her car for me wherever she goes!

All in all it was a great experience, and she wound up with over $165 in FREE products. I disn't get any bookings off of the show, but now her guests are asking when she will be hosting another show. :)

Oh, and as far as my dad, I think he is my biggest cheerleader! He can't ask for orders in his office, but keeps a few catalogs on his desk, and always has my business cards on him.

What is the purpose of the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter"?

The purpose of the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" is to introduce potential customers to our products and encourage them to make a purchase through our direct sales model. It also serves to inform readers about the benefits of our products and how they can improve their cooking and hosting experiences.

Who is the target audience for the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter"?

The target audience for the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" is primarily women between the ages of 25-55 who are interested in cooking and hosting events. These individuals are typically busy, health-conscious, and value high-quality products that can make their lives easier and more enjoyable.

How can I purchase products mentioned in the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter"?

You can purchase products mentioned in the "Dear Abby - Direct Sales Letter" by contacting your local Pampered Chef consultant or by visiting our website. Our consultants are trained to provide personalized recommendations and assist you with your purchase, making it a convenient and enjoyable shopping experience.

What sets Pampered Chef products apart from other kitchenware brands?

Pampered Chef products are known for their high-quality, durability, and innovative designs. We also offer a satisfaction guarantee, meaning if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will make it right. Additionally, our direct sales model allows us to provide personalized attention and support to our customers, making their shopping experience more enjoyable and convenient.

Is there a way to try Pampered Chef products before making a purchase?

Yes, we offer virtual and in-person cooking demonstrations where you can try our products and see how they work in action before making a purchase. You can also host a cooking party with friends and family and earn free products as a thank you for hosting. Additionally, we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Dale C
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • NooraK