• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Uncertainty: Navigating a Trade Show Host & Co-Host

met the host at a trade show, called and set a date for a meeting, and emailed and called asking if she still wanted to do this. The host emailed back that she did and provided Jackie with a co-host's information. Jackie left about 5 messages for the co-host, called the original host tonight and said she couldn't get ahold of the co-host and checked the number--the co-host was actually calling her. The host popped over to the other line to see what was going on and left Jackie on hold for 10 minutes. Jackie called back the host and said if she didn't hear from either by 5pm tomorrow, then she'd assume Saturday's show needed to be rescheduled. The host emailed
cmdtrgd
Gold Member
Okay, quick overview:

1. met the host at a trade show
2. called and set a date
3. emailed, called, left messages...
4. emailed and called asking if she still wanted to do this
5. she emailed me back saying yes, we want to do this and with a name, wrong email address (got the right one) and cell number to the co-host...can't remember talking about a co-host, but I do forget things
6. left about 5 messages for co-host
7. called original host tonight and said I can't get ahold of co-host (even though she is supposed to have a less hectic schedule) and checked number - right number. apparently co-host has been asking if/when I will contact her.
8. wouldn't you know it? the co-host was calling her right then?!?
9. host popped over to other line to see what was going on with the co-host
10. left me on hold for 10 minutes
11. called host back and said if I didn't hear from either by 5pm tomorrow, then I'll assume Saturday's show needs to be rescheduled...also said if she changed her mind about having a show it is okay, just let me know

k....so.....am I being paranoid? I wouldn't be so upset if she didn't keep telling me she wants a show?!?

Do you really think it was best to title the post "opinions needed"? That is a dangerous thing around here!

Don't think you are being paranoid at all. I've had a few hosts do this to me and it is down right irritating! I agree with you that I'm more upset if they keep ignoring me than if they just tell me they want to cancel. That I can handle. When people ignore me, it makes me a bit paranoid, too! I would love to charge a "late cancellation fee" to these people, but I know that probably isn't such a good idea and I'd never get it anyway!

Oh well... you've put the ball squarely in her court. Let her make the next move.

I don't care if she cancels, I just want to know! And, the fact that she emailed me last week and said...well, here it is:

Yes, we are still interested in the party on June 9th sorry about not getting back to you. I have been having trouble touching base with the other host. We have opposite schedules and with her working and me in school it has been hit or miss. However, we have decided that you correspond with her since we will be having the party at her house and I am absolutely clueless about what is going on and what will work for her. Her name is Ashley and her email is XXX and phone number is XXX. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. And she can just leave me messages that way and I will just go along with it. See you on the 9th.

Oh, and I decided to put the title as is so I COULD get lots of opinions :D

My opinion: Since history repeats itself, I'll wait for the rerun.

Sounds oddly familiar to a situation I had in February. The show did not happen.

I think you have been lucky so far. I had a similiar thing happen to me - met at a craft fair, she booked, supposedly mailed invites, then was MIA for a week. Finally reach her on the phone the day before the show and she apologizes for not responding to phone calls and emails. I think 'OK' but tell my DH things don't feel right. Day of the show, make dessert for host then pack up everything to travel for 40 minutes in pouring rain. Arrive at host's house and no one is there! Decide to sit in driveway and wait for 30 minutes and try to be patient as I think maybe she had an emergency and will be right back. No one shows or calls me and have never heard from that host. Also, the best part is I had to pay a sitter that day because DH had a previous work commitment.
I think the hardest thing for me to accept is that some people are just so rude. I just wish she could have been honest with me. Thanks for letting me vent!
Jackie

1. How do I handle uncertainty while hosting a trade show?

One way to handle uncertainty while hosting a trade show is to have a clear plan in place. Make sure you have a schedule for the event, including set times for presentations and breaks. This will help you stay organized and on track.

2. What should I do if a co-host is not following the agreed upon plan?

If a co-host is not following the plan, it's important to communicate with them and address the issue. Try to find out if there is a reason for their behavior and work together to find a solution. It's also helpful to have a backup plan in case of unexpected changes.

3. How can I handle last-minute changes to the trade show schedule?

Last-minute changes to the schedule can be stressful, but it's important to stay calm and adapt. Communicate the changes to all involved parties and make sure everyone is on the same page. It may also be helpful to have a backup plan in case of any further changes.

4. What should I do if there is a conflict between a host and co-host during the trade show?

If a conflict arises between a host and co-host during the trade show, it's important to address it calmly and professionally. Encourage open communication and try to find a resolution that works for both parties. If necessary, involve a third party mediator to help resolve the conflict.

5. How can I ensure a successful trade show despite any uncertainty?

To ensure a successful trade show, it's important to be prepared and stay flexible. Have a clear plan in place, but also be ready to adapt and make changes if needed. Also, maintain a positive attitude and communicate effectively with your team and attendees. Remember to focus on the overall goal of the trade show and stay organized to help minimize any uncertainty.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • ChefJWarren
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
legacypc46
Replies