• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Host Cancellation Due to Tragic Circumstances

In summary, the conversation is about a person who had a show scheduled with a new client, but the client had to cancel due to a family tragedy. The person is wondering if they should reach out to the client to reschedule or wait for the client to contact them. They also discuss sending a mini catalog with a note and following up in a week to see if the client wants to reschedule. The conversation also touches on the importance of personal relationships in business and the idea of sending a sympathy card.
Christ Follower
Gold Member
Okay, how do I approach this if I do so at all???

I had a show booked for July 5th. I've never met this lady. She got my number from a co-worker.

The day before her party when I was doing my 3rd call, she told me she would have to cancel due to her BIL being "hit and killed by a drunk driver" the night before!:eek: I felt terrible and told her don't worry about it etc.

So, do I ever call her back to try to reschedule? Do I wait for her to call me? Do I send her a new catalog in the mail with up-coming specials and a note? If yes on the note, how do I word it? I've never had to deal with this before. Am I being uncaring for even trying to still get a show from her??

Any advice would be appreciated!

I would send a mini catalog with a short note--"thought you might like to see our new fall products"--and then follow up with a phone call where you can explore the booking idea.

I had this happen to me when my host's brother died of cancer and she still wanted to have the show to help get her mind off things and feel "normal". She just postponed for a month. I did ask her how she was doing and if I can do anything for her but just prayers was all I could do for her then.

Does she live close? You might want to take a dish to her family or just visit and pray with her. When my lil' brother passed in an accident 11 years ago strangers I didn't know came to my home and just prayed with me and it helped too.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

This is what I would do...
Send a sympathy card, but do not mention anything about rescheduling the show... just express your condolences and leave it at that for now. In a week or so, send another note that (again) you are sorry for her loss and will be following up with her in a few days to see if she wants to reschedule. That way when you call, it won't take her by surprise and she *hopefully* will have had some time to think about it.

Even though you are concerned (not the right word, but you get the point) about your business, we are still in the business of personal relationships with people and sometimes those relationships need to trump our business... this is one of those situations.

tpchefrebecca said:
I had this happen to me when my host's brother died of cancer and she still wanted to have the show to help get her mind off things and feel "normal". She just postponed for a month. I did ask her how she was doing and if I can do anything for her but just prayers was all I could do for her then.

Does she live close? You might want to take a dish to her family or just visit and pray with her. When my lil' brother passed in an accident 11 years ago strangers I didn't know came to my home and just prayed with me and it helped too.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

She lives about 30-40 minutes away and it happened almost 2 months ago so I don't think I can go that route. It's one of those "too little too late things, I think. Maybe I should have done something right away but I had know idea what would've been appropriate.

DebbieJ said:
I would send a mini catalog with a short note--"thought you might like to see our new fall products"--and then follow up with a phone call where you can explore the booking idea.

Maybe I'll do this. She'd probably appreciate the new mini and not a lot of pressure. She called me to begin with to book a show originally so maybe she'll see it and call me when she's ready? If she called a total stranger to book a show, she must really want to have one. I just don't want to pressure her or come off as insensitive.

katie0128 said:
Send a sympathy card, but do not mention anything about rescheduling the show... just express your condolences and leave it at that for now. In a week or so, send another note that (again) you are sorry for her loss and will be following up with her in a few days to see if she wants to reschedule. That way when you call, it won't take her by surprise and she *hopefully* will have had some time to think about it.

Even though you are concerned (not the right word, but you get the point) about your business, we are still in the business of personal relationships with people and sometimes those relationships need to trump our business... this is one of those situations.

I agree with this approach, but I would wait 3-4 weeks or so to send the note and follow up.

Okay. I guess I will send a sympathy card first. I just thought it might be too late after almost two months. Now to figure out how to word it...

Personally, I would wait and let her call you. Keep her in your list of contacts, and keep her updated on new products and specials but I wouldn't send her a card or note,2 months after the fact, in hopes that she'd reschedule.

I wouldn't send a card at this point since it's been almost 2 months. I feel like it would untimately look too fake..... You send a sympathy card then just happen to follow up a couple weeks later about the show. I would send the new catalog (not mini) with a note expressing your sympathy and also mentioning that should she still desire to Host a Cooking Show in the future, to please contact you when the time is right.

katie0128 said:

This is exactly what I would do. I would mail that card and note and follow up with a phone call. It's the most personal way to deal with a situation like this. I would not send a mini catalog or any other materials or flyers until I spoke with her and she indicated she was ready. She will probably book within a month.

I had this happen to me too and the host ended up calling me before I called her and rescheduled for like a week after the funeral - said they needed the distraction. It ended up being a fun party - I did start by offering my condolences and then we went on with it (as we all have to go on with our lives). It was all good.

Oh! A lot of posts later...

No I wouldn't send a sympathy card if it was 2 months ago!

I would send a note saying that I hoped she and her family were doing well and is she ready to talk about rescheduling her party. Be genuine about your concern (which I am sure you are by your screen name) and just ask.

Then follow up with a call. Ask her if she wants a new product brochure or if she wants to schedule.

3 years ago tomorrow my dad died and I can tell you the Sympathy cards that came 2 -3 weeks later were sweet but it just brought all the emotions back....
I would even skip sending the catalog first, be honest pick up the phone call her and say you've been on my mind or I've been thinking about you,
Tell her you would like to send her a new catalog or would she prefer to reschedule now and you can send her host packet instead,?

i would just send a "thinking of you" card with a note saying that i hope she is doing ok something like that.
no mention of pc at all
then in about a month send her a mini catalogue with a short note saying you thought she would love to see the new product and thats all
the following month would be when i start to mention re-booking maybe?! depending on if i got a response the previous month

if this were to happen to me and the person started talking about rebooking right away i would think it insesitive but that is just me.
and although it wasnt a parent, child or her husband you never know how close she was to him and having a pc party could just trigger all those emotions again

i was in the US when i got the news my mother had passed away almost 18yrs ago, and i still can not listen to a cd i bought while there without thinking about the drive home or tearing up

sorry for the long post
just my thoughts :)

Skip the card....at this point, as another poster said, it would look insincere.
Send her the mini with a note telling her that you hope everything is going well. She will respond to that, I am sure. You sending the mini catalog will jog her thoughts to her cancelled party and she will reschedule!

I would send the mini with NO note as if she is on your mailing list and in a couple of weeks call her. My mother passed away July 8th and it takes a month or so to get back on track. But as mentioned, some normalcy is welcoming.

When I mail my catalogs I stick a flouruscent Avery label on it that says now booking thru (whichever month you still need to fill)

When I mail my catalogs I stick an Avery flourescent label on that says now booking thru (whichever month I need to fill)

You all have so many great ideas. Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will just call her and ask how things are going and ask her if she would like me to send her the new catalog. I wont make any mention of re-scheduling. If she brings it up, great. If not, no big deal. My only issue is getting ahold of her. She was a tough one to get on the phone.

If I don't call her, I will send her the mini with a "just thinking about you, thought might you'd like to see the new stuff" or something like that.

Related to Dealing with Host Cancellation Due to Tragic Circumstances

What happens to the host benefits if the host passes away?

If the host passes away, the host benefits will be transferred to their designated beneficiary or next of kin. They will have the option to continue with the party or cancel it.

Can the party still go on if the host passes away?

Yes, the party can still go on if the host passes away. The designated beneficiary or next of kin will have the option to continue with the party or cancel it.

Will the host's guests still be able to make purchases if the party is cancelled due to the host's death?

Yes, guests will still be able to make purchases through the designated beneficiary or next of kin. They can either continue with the party or cancel it.

What happens to the orders and payments if the host passes away?

If the host passes away, the designated beneficiary or next of kin will be responsible for fulfilling the orders and handling payments. They will have the option to continue with the party or cancel it.

Is there a time limit for the designated beneficiary or next of kin to make a decision about the party if the host passes away?

There is no set time limit, but we recommend that the decision is made as soon as possible to avoid any inconvenience for the host's guests and to ensure timely delivery of orders.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefa
  • pcsharon1
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • pamperedmomto3