• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Customer Conflict with PC: How to Keep Her as a Valued Customer

In summary, the customer is angry because she has to send the pan back because of PC's manufacturing errors.
chefsteph07
Well, I have a problem..
I have a customer I acquired back in Sept, she has done 2 shows for me, both were modest, but she has ordered from me other times as well for individual orders. In Sept, she got one of the bamboo spoon sets and had it about a week when she told me that it split in half while she was using it. I put in an adjustment and it took PC about 4 tries before they sent in the correct set of spoons from her, I had to make FOUR different adjustments on one daggoone spoon! So today I get another email from her that the outside coating of her prof. grill pan completely came off while she was washing it and it is silver! She said she must be having a tough year w/ PC..I called HO and they did the standard adjustment, told me they would ship her out a new one, but they want the other one shipped back to them, gave me the ref number, all that..so I email the customer back and she is bent out of shape because she has to ship the pan back due to PC's manufacture problems...I do agree that she should not have to pay the shipping on it but I know that's the policy. I sent her a reply back that she can call the PC number and express her feelings to them, that I didn't want to lose her as a customer, and I felt for her for what she has been going through.
She sent me an email back stating that she is NOT going to pay for their problem and that she is going to steer clear of PC from now on and start using QVC products. I do feel bad for her and I have given her "apology products" out of my own pocket to try to appease her in the past.

I emailed my cluster the string of emails/responses and one of the girls thinks in order to keep her I should offer to mail the pan back myself. I have conflicted feelings about this..as I stated, I have given her other things to compensate for the problems she had before...I feel that if the error had been "mine", then I probably would offer to do that. I just don't feel that I should since the problem is w/ PC manufacturing or whatever the problem is. "I' am not PC and how much do I have to compensate on my own for the issues that she is having w/ PC?

Am I wrong in feeling this way? Maybe I SHOULD pay to have it shipped back..I dont know...

Thanks for your input...

Last edited:
To be honest, I'd expect her to pay for it to be returned.

I understand that the product is not working, but it clearly states all of this in the warrently info. I honestly feel like people these days want to get everything and don't want to give anything in return.

I obviously don't know this woman, and I can understand why she's be frustreated. But I'm guessing QVC would do the same thing to her.

the only thing I can think of is to call HO and explain everything to them and see if they'll eat the shipping cost.

E: I know I'm probably in the minority in my feelings that the customer should pay for it, but I wanted to be honest.

Last edited:
I didn't mean Chef Success number..obviously I meant PC number...LOL Jeez!

It sounds like you are doing what you can for your customer. Personally I would call back again to the HO and see if they will send Fed Ex out to pick up the pan - sometimes different people in customer service will do different things. If the customer is that upset maybe they will change their tune about shipping it back on her dime.

hmmmm....I would just ship it back - but that is just me. I was taught to ship ALL adjustments back on MY cost (which, from what I am hearing now is TOTALLY the oppositive for what most of you do). Another option could be to ship back adjustments once a month with your D or another Consultant on the Team to cut down on shipping costs.

Who knows, maybe this customer is annoyed by the whole situation that it doesn't matter either way anymore. In that case - just let it go. :)

p.s. I am REALLY considering doing as you all do - getting the customer to do their returns and phone Customer Service themselves.

:)

I don't think you are obligated at all to mail the pan back yourself! It should cost a fraction of the cost of the pan to mail it back... she could be purchasing another one at full price! I don't know many companies that offer to pay shipping for warrantee issues (I bet QVC doesn't)... they are replacing the pan, isn't that enough?
What a frustrating delima... I've had similar situations and similar issues with it taking HO several tries to get it fixed. I've been lucky to have customers who weren't quite as impatient and grumpy as yours seems to be.
Good luck!

I think it all comes down to how badly you want to keep her as a customer. If you want to keep her, I'd go get the pan (I'd pick it up cause I'm curious as to how the pan actually looks! I'm just goofy that way :D ). Then I'd call HO and explain everything this lady has gone through. I wouldn't meekly ask for them to pay shipping, I'd firmly state that we need to do this...ask for a manager if you have to. (I love to use a phrase my sister uses to get what she wants...she pauses and says "That's unacceptable" and then waits...gets them every time!) If they still say no, I'd pay it myself. It's tax deductible and a small cost to keep the customer.

chefsteph07 said:
So today I get another email from her that the outside coating of her prof. grill pan completely came off while she was washing it and it is silver!

I'm really curious about this. How was she washing it? For "the outside coating to come completely off" sounds bizarre.

My mom was a loyal QVC customer. She says the quality of their products has reduced dramatically. She has a full set of cook's essentials cookware with a lifetime warranty. She recently had to send the whole set back because they were all scratched up. They replaced the set but she had to ship it back to them. I gave her some PC prof cookware for xmas and she LOVES it. She said she can definitely tell the difference between the cook's essentials and the PC cookware.

GeorgiaPeach said:
I'm really curious about this. How was she washing it? For "the outside coating to come completely off" sounds bizarre.

I agree - that stuff is really on there. Was she using a sander to wash it?? ;)

I agree I would NOT pay to send it back. It seems NOTHING will make this ray of sunshine happy. Bless and Release.......

Youve done everything right...

I would not mail it back for her. I would call HO again and tell them of the customer's frustrations and try to get a pick up. I got a pick up for some cookware several months ago b/c the coating peeled off in the inside. I told HO that I did not feel like and the customer did not feel like they should have to pay to send something back they only had for a few months that was suppose to have a lifetime warranty and they were already having problems with it. The rep sent FedEx to pick it up, no problems. It all depends on who you talk to.

I tend to agree that when something is past the 30 days but only a few months old like cookware that since the problem should not be occuring that the customer should not have to pay to ship it back. When it is something small it is different, but it cost a lot to send cookware back.

wierdCan someone clarify what QVC is? Is that an American Co.?

Could she have been using a gas stove? Would THAT make the outer coating come off????? :confused:

QVC is a shopping channel on cable tv.

Gas stoves won't make the coating come off. Sounds like a manufacturing error.

I would CERTAINLY call HO back and speak to a supervisor if they won't agree to pick it up. Tell them about the FOUR adjustments on one spoon...and how this lady has had enough already. They want to keep her happy...both so she stays as a customer, and so she doesn't tell everyone that she knows that PC sucks.

I wouldn't pay to ship it back, HO should.

But..if they don't, you may want to consider shipping it to keep her happy with you, with our company, and to keep her mouth shut to others about PC.

JMHO

GeorgiaPeach said:
I'd go get the pan (I'd pick it up cause I'm curious as to how the pan actually looks!

I would want to see it too. . . .

I just helped a lady send in an adjustment for her whole set of professional cookware and it was the same thing everything was coming off the outside of it and the inside looked perfect. No dishwasher on these either, I know this gal very well. I also saw these pans, it was horrible when you washed them and grey/silver came off all over the rag.

I am wondering if there was some sort of defect going on at that time period, I think these were from 2005.

I wouldn't pay to send it back, it's not your responsibility. Once a customer gets their products, it's an agreement between them and PC, you are just the middle man. That is of course my opinion on the matter. You could try to call HO again and see what they say. Let them know what the lady said about not wanting to send it back. People need to remember that alot of companies made you pay to send stuff back. I ordered jeans out of a catalog once because they were on clearance. They didn't fit so I called to send them back, it was going to cost me more to ship them back (they pay for the shipping but charge it to your card) than it did to purchase the item in the first place.

almondfarm said:
I just helped a lady send in an adjustment for her whole set of professional cookware and it was the same thing everything was coming off the outside of it and the inside looked perfect. No dishwasher on these either, I know this gal very well. I also saw these pans, it was horrible when you washed them and grey/silver came off all over the rag.

I am wondering if there was some sort of defect going on at that time period, I think these were from 2005.

Thanks everyone for your responses...

After thinking about this for a few hours, I think I am going to stick to my guns and not send it back for her. My fear is that if I do, I will lose her anyway, she will still run her mouth about PC and I'll be out the $ to have done her a favor. That might seem a little selfish, but I am really tired of shelling out dough to make people happy. I am in this to make a little money, I'm struggling w/ bookings as is, and I just dont feel like bending over backwards anymore.

I do just about everything I can for my customers and hosts, and I have to draw the line somewhere. I could have just given her HO number and told her to call them herself and see what they had to say.

I've never done a return for someone and I'm not going to start now!

chefsteph07 said:
Thanks everyone for your responses...

After thinking about this for a few hours, I think I am going to stick to my guns and not send it back for her. My fear is that if I do, I will lose her anyway, she will still run her mouth about PC and I'll be out the $ to have done her a favor. That might seem a little selfish, but I am really tired of shelling out dough to make people happy. I am in this to make a little money, I'm struggling w/ bookings as is, and I just dont feel like bending over backwards anymore.

I do just about everything I can for my customers and hosts, and I have to draw the line somewhere. I could have just given her HO number and told her to call them herself and see what they had to say.

I've never done a return for someone and I'm not going to start now!
Either that or she'll expect you to do it for her every time!

Don't worry about it too much, I had a host that I nicknamed the host from hell last fall. I won't get into the story too much but was SO GLAD when her show was over and I didn't have to deal with her any more. I basically blessed and released her. Well, she needed to return the lid she ordered for another pan. HO had issues and I was not told the right thing when it came to payment, 4 weeks later she did not have her pan and started calling me. When I finally figured out what happened, I told the lady at HO that this host was going to blame me and would probably tell everyone she knew! Fast forward to me sending out my January newsletter. She calls me and orders over $170 worth of stoneware (this was the sale price!). Now I feel bad for writing her off and will keep in touch with her. Speaking of that, I do need to call her to see if she wants to do a party with the new catalog!

Like others have said, I wouldn't mail it back for her.

If you talk to her again you can let her know QVC makes you pay shipping to send anything back - even in the first 30 days! Actually after 30 days you can't even return anything, except for some of their cookware which does have a lifetime warranty. I had the Cooks Essentials hard anodized set. It was a good set, but not as nice as PC's. I did have to return the 12" skillet because the non-stick coating wasn't working anymore. I had to pay to ship it back and they did send me a new one.

So she won't be any better off w/QVC:)!

I just had a customer from a show (she didn't even come the night of the show) ask the host about returning a pan. I nicely explained to the host she could call 1-888-OUR-CHEF and get a reference number to return it. I told her she has to have her receipt just like any other store. Hopefully the customer wasn't upset about it. I really don't understand why they think they can just give that stuff to us. Maybe because Tupperware reps. take their products back and w/o a receipt since they have a lifetime guarantee on everything.

Good luck!

Last edited:
stefani2 said:
I would just ship it back - but that is just me. I was taught to ship ALL adjustments back on MY cost (which, from what I am hearing now is TOTALLY the oppositive for what most of you do). Another option could be to ship back adjustments once a month with your D or another Consultant on the Team to cut down on shipping costs.

Who knows, maybe this customer is annoyed by the whole situation that it doesn't matter either way anymore. In that case - just let it go. :)

p.s. I am REALLY considering doing as you all do - getting the customer to do their returns and phone Customer Service themselves.

:)

I ship returns back too but I tell them I only do them once a month so if they want it faster, they need to ship it back themselves. I do it once a month because then I can do multiple returns with one shipment.

Winnipegk said:
I ship returns back too but I tell them I only do them once a month so if they want it faster, they need to ship it back themselves. I do it once a month because then I can do multiple returns with one shipment.

Me too! I send one box a month on the 15th. If someone brings something to me on the 16th I let them know I won't ship it back until the next month and if they are in a hurry I can give them the info. NO ONE has ever been in a hurry!

I feel that it is good customer service on my part to take returns. I have had many customers switch to me from other consultants because of this. I would say that I spend $10-$15 a month to ship returns. Not that big of an expense! I even just shipped a box back that had an Executive 12" skillet in it and it was only $18 with that any 6 other returns. Seems like a little investment for someone that spent $600 at my show and I made $180 just off her order.:)

But that is the great thing about the PC, you decide!!:thumbup:

I know this may be silly, but maybe offer to go halves, if it is an expensive piece to ship! Tell her that you know it's not her fault, and it's definitely not your fault, but you would like to help her a little with the cost of the shipping.... i know it's not a good habit to get into but.... may help keep your customer

I like the idea of sending just once a month. So many of my customers live far away it would probably just be easier for them to ship it themselves. I would not offer to pick up the product from them!

One thing they need to remember is that if they wanted to return something to Target, WalMart, Macys, etc. they would not be reimbursed for their gas, mileage, time. How different is it to have to ship something back? I live 30 miles or mroe away from stores so to return things is a pain for me. I usually try to keep the returns until I shop again, but some stores I don't shop that often.

fruit76loop said:
Me too! I send one box a month on the 15th. If someone brings something to me on the 16th I let them know I won't ship it back until the next month and if they are in a hurry I can give them the info. NO ONE has ever been in a hurry!
Do you just label everything inside individually with it's own Return Adjustment Number? Do you list all of the numbers on the outside of the box?

pamperedlinda said:
Do you just label everything inside individually with it's own Return Adjustment Number? Do you list all of the numbers on the outside of the box?

I've done this before, I put all the reference #s outside the box & inside I make a list of the ref #s & they all get shipped back to me....HTH

GeorgiaPeach said:
I think it all comes down to how badly you want to keep her as a customer. If you want to keep her, I'd go get the pan (I'd pick it up cause I'm curious as to how the pan actually looks! I'm just goofy that way :D ). Then I'd call HO and explain everything this lady has gone through. I wouldn't meekly ask for them to pay shipping, I'd firmly state that we need to do this...ask for a manager if you have to. (I love to use a phrase my sister uses to get what she wants...she pauses and says "That's unacceptable" and then waits...gets them every time!) If they still say no, I'd pay it myself. It's tax deductible and a small cost to keep the customer.

I am with georgiapeach on this! I just called in a adjustment about the dang bamboo spoons too and they are sending out a pre-paid shipping label to my host. I would demand it also, and if you get no where, ask for a manager.
I understand that it may be from user error BUT PC messed up with that spoon thing and it has left a bad taste in your customer's mouth, so to speak. I think they should help her out here.... that is just me. If PC won't do anything then I personally would take care of her.... JMHO

Ginger428 said:
I've done this before, I put all the reference #s outside the box & inside I make a list of the ref #s & they all get shipped back to me....HTH

That's what I do too.

And I do not pick up return items from my customers - they need to get them to me. I did have 2 customers recently who chose to send their items back themselves and they were just happy that I offered. If you give them the choice, they can't complain about the cost of shipping.

pampchefrhondab said:
Like others have said, I wouldn't mail it back for her.

If you talk to her again you can let her know QVC makes you pay shipping to send anything back - even in the first 30 days! Actually after 30 days you can't even return anything, except for some of their cookware which does have a lifetime warranty. I had the Cooks Essentials hard anodized set. It was a good set, but not as nice as PC's. I did have to return the 12" skillet because the non-stick coating wasn't working anymore. I had to pay to ship it back and they did send me a new one.

So she won't be any better off w/QVC:)!

I just had a customer from a show (she didn't even come the night of the show) ask the host about returning a pan. I nicely explained to the host she could call 1-888-OUR-CHEF and get a reference number to return it. I told her she has to have her receipt just like any other store. Hopefully the customer wasn't upset about it. I really don't understand why they think they can just give that stuff to us. Maybe because Tupperware reps. take their products back and w/o a receipt since they have a lifetime guarantee on everything.

Good luck!

Is tupper ware supposed to take things back w/o a reciept? Hmmmm.... I couldn't return something a couple of years ago supposedly because i had no receipt... which I thought was strange because I always thought it didn;t matter.... must have been a lazy Tupperware lady!

Not all of TW's stuff has a lifetime guarantee, either. When you look at their site, there are a couple of different symbols to indicate the different warranties.

Well can you tell I'm old. The last Tupperware party I had was 22 years ago!! Oh I can't beleive it! Anyway, back then they would just take back your item and give you a new one when your new products came in.

Funny, I just got an email from someone who purchased a PC Food Chopper "a while back" and was told that it had a lifetime warranty. She asked if that was right. I told her that it has a 5-year warranty and explained where she can find that information in the catalog.

Hey Rae, I think the original ones did....maybe someone else will chime in with the correct answer.

They haven't since I've been buying them, so I'm guessing hers doesn't have one, either.

I would not pay for to have it shipped back. I would simply explain that PC needs it to see what kind of problem it was and to investigate. Under the warranty the buyer agrees to pay to send it back in exchange for a new. I would also say that I hope she reconsiders staying away from PC. PC also is not perfect and does have a bad batch that is manufactored; rarely but it does happen. No company is 100% perfect.

fruit76loop said:

I feel that it is good customer service on my part to take returns. I have had many customers switch to me from other consultants because of this. I would say that I spend $10-$15 a month to ship returns. Not that big of an expense! I even just shipped a box back that had an Executive 12" skillet in it and it was only $18 with that any 6 other returns. Seems like a little investment for someone that spent $600 at my show and I made $180 just off her order.:)

But that is the great thing about the PC, you decide!!:thumbup:

I like your thinking.... this is good customer service and that is what sells pampered chef....

I am trying to get a catalog show out of this gal at my son's school so I can get the pink HWC tri-bowl.

Well, I just found out her mom might want to order enough items to make the show, but has a problem with some professional pans she bought a while back.

I called HO and got the show number, but then they wanted info I didn't have, so I called the mom back and asked her to call HO....since I wasn't the consultant who sold her this and I've no records, or even her address.

After reading this thread I called again today. She (the mom) wasn't home but her husband said there was some problem....oh, dear. She is supposed to call back.

It would be hard enough to eat shipping on my own customer. Well, maybe she will BE my customer since the other consultant apparently bailed on her?

Thanks for the advice, though, I will call HO...it was not just one pan with a problem.

1. Why is my customer having multiple product issues with Pampered Chef?

Unfortunately, sometimes products can have manufacturing defects or issues that are out of our control. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your customer.

2. How can I resolve the issue for my customer?

We recommend following our standard adjustment process and offering an apology product as a gesture of goodwill. We also suggest encouraging your customer to contact our Customer Service team to express their concerns.

3. Is it necessary for my customer to ship the defective product back to Pampered Chef?

Yes, according to our policy, we do require the defective product to be shipped back to us for quality control purposes. However, we understand that this may be an inconvenience for your customer and we apologize for that.

4. Should I offer to pay for the shipping of the product back to Pampered Chef?

While we appreciate your willingness to go above and beyond for your customer, we do not expect our consultants to cover the cost of shipping for a defective product. We apologize for any confusion or conflicting advice you may have received.

5. How can I keep my customer as a valued customer despite these issues?

We understand that this situation may have caused frustration for both you and your customer. We recommend continuing to provide excellent customer service and offering a sincere apology for any inconvenience. You can also suggest that your customer reach out to our Customer Service team to share their concerns and provide feedback. We value all of our customers and strive to provide the best products and services possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefsteph07
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • Roadtripray
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • andrealynne719