• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Covering for Another Consultant? Commission? (Long)

In summary, the conversation discusses situations where one may have to cover a show for another consultant in case of an emergency. One consultant shares her experience of getting ill and her recruiter covering for her, and they end up splitting the commission 50/50. Another consultant shares a similar situation where she covers a show for her director who had a death in the family, and they also agreed to split the commission 50/50. However, when the host insists on the consultant submitting the show instead of the director, it creates a dilemma as the consultant had agreed to give 50% to the director. In the end, it is suggested that the consultant should honor the agreement and give the director the 50% commission.
ChefinHarmony
Hi all. I was curious to see if anyone else has ever covered a show for another consultant in case of an emergency? How do you handle it?

Here's background info....I got very ill (Strep) two days before my show with a dear friend back in May. She was so thrilled/excited to do a show - great Host you know emailing, calling, double-checking with guests, etc. Well, my recruiter was able to cover for me - she knew the Host. Anyway, all my recruiter did was the actual show - she used all my paperwork, etc. Then the Host came up here and we closed the show together & I submitted it. Well, my recruiter & I decided to split it 50/50. We contacted our Director prior to the show and she said we could work it out however we wanted to do it. I was fine, comfortable with that situation. It worked out well.

Here's the one I'm questioning.... My Director called me 4 days before a show she had scheduled. She had a death in the family, out of town and couldn't do the show. The Host didn't want to reschedule. I was able to do it - the Host was great and we had almost a $1000 show. Anyway, prior to doing the show, my Director & I agreed that I would do the show and then she would submit it (I would have to mail it to her since she lives about 2 hours away). Again, split it 50/50 and I could keep any bookings - I had no problem with that.

Here's the sticky part....when I met with the Host to close the show, I told her the "plan" above and she freaked. She didn't want my Director involved. She wanted me to submit it that day because she was going on vacation the next week and wanted it before then. She also kept saying how she really liked the way I worked and knew the show would close smoothly, etc. She was VERY insistant that I submit it. I even told her "you may get me in trouble with my Director" (jokingly!) I tried calling my Director's cell phone numerous times before & after meeting with the Host. I felt if I didn't submit it I wouldn't be doing my job on the Customer Satisfaction part - but if I did what the Host wanted, I would disappoint my Director. That's how upset the Host was when I told her I had to Mail everything to my Director and then she would enter it.

I ended up submitting it that night & she got her show in 3 days (before her vacation) - my Director was okay with that. But here's the thing... My Director still wants 50% of the commission. That shocked me. :eek: I sent her an email saying I got my commission and asked her how she wanted me to proceed. I even quoted "let me know what you think is fair". She did give me the booking off it so I know it will pay off in the long run, but do you think 50% is still fair? I'm not sure how to handle it. I know that's what we agreed upon before the show, but plans changed (not really my fault) and she didn't do anything but give me the lead/show.

I love my Director - she is so sweet and supportive. I truly thought she was going to respond saying "don't worry about it" or "25%" - not the full 50%. I respect her and I don't want to offend my "boss" - but how would you handle it?

I know this is long, but I'm just looking for some feedback - advice. Thanks for listening!!!

Joanne

Tough one!! But you did agree to 50%, I would stick with that and hope for good things to come from the booking. Good Luck;)

Honestly, I would give her the 50% - that's what you agreed upon. I know that you ended up doing more than you had thought, but your director gave you the show and 50% of a $1000 show commission is 100% more than what you would have made that night, kwim? And you got a booking from it to boot.

I agree with everyone else about the 50%. It turned out to be a great show, and I would be afraid of creating bad feelings between you and your director.

IMO you did agree to the 50% before the show and you should honor it. The host asked you to submit the show not your director. Would it really be worth it to put up a fuss over 25% that you feel you should get? If you do put up a fuss you may not be asked if you want to paticipate in fairs or if someone needs you to fill in at the last minute again. I'm assuming that your director did all of the host coaching calls before the show. Keep in your mind that yor director was going through a tough time and needed you to do them a favor and fill in for a show.

I'd give the 50% too. She did all the work before the show, she could have given it to someone elase instead of you, plus you got a booking out of it....I'd say you're way ahead of the game! You never know when you may be on the other side and need her to cover for you one of these days.....

I see exactly what you're saying and if you guys did agree on the 50%, then that's what you should do. Also, just think since you turned it in, you get the trip points and it goes towards your 8Qt Bowl this month. You really have to think about the other things as well. I wouldn't let this ruin your relationship over money. Just my 2 cents.;)

Ditto. You may need the return favor sometime and can get your 50% then. It always pays to do what you have ageed to, even if sometimes you feel you got the short end of the stick. It just proves your integrity and dependability. Hang in there - it will come back to you!

Jeanie Gay

somewhere in the recipe for success it's against the
"rules" to do a show and give someone else the credit for it. in my opinion if you already done it then give her the 50% of what you made.

I would do the 50%, if for nothing else just to keep bad blood away from you and your director. There will always be something wierd between you two of you give her less, and she will probably never see you the same again, much less call you next time she is stuck! Give her the 50% and move on. I know it sucks now, but it will be better in the long run!

50%. That was the agreement. And as "Sister Sarducci" said (sorry Kristi, someday we'll have to meet so you can punch me in the arm), YOU got the trip points, points toward the 8Qt Bowl and a booking.

I agree with all of the above. You agreed to 50% you need to honor it. Even though you did more than you thought you would have to (submitting the show) it really doesn't take much effort to key everything in the computer and submit it. Definitely not that much more work that it's worth jeopardizing your relationship with your director.

Plus consider the fact that the host is happy with you, you got a booking, and you have all those contacts from the show. You definitely came out ahead.

In the future, I'd think twice before agreeing to giving 50% of my commission away on ANY show. You are doing the other consultant a favor by helping keep the host happy. Recipe for Success used to suggest (not sure if it's still in there) paying the other consultant $3.50 for paperwork. That's really all I'd offer in the future....replace the catalogs and postcards the other consultant gave the host

Thank You! Thank You!Thank you ladies!! I feel better already knowing that all of you would give 50%. The moment the Host didn't want her to submit it, the first thing I thought about was the "numbers" - she wouldn't get it for July.

Anyway, my Hubby and my Recruiter were a little mad she still wanted 50%.

I'm going to give her the 50% with a Thank you note for giving me the contact, leads, booking, etc.

Like you said - I didn't have any of that before she called. I was flattered that she picked me to do the show. I have been the top producer in our line since I joined, so I think that's why.

Then one thing that bothered me was my Director called the Host (doesn't really know her) to check and see if the Host really was going on vacation and to see if the Host really pushed for me to enter it. It was like my own Director didn't believe me. I called the Host to let her know when her order would arrive as a follow-up (she doesn't have email) and the Host told me about my Director calling. I said "Well you were her lead so she was completing the job and just checking in on the show" and the Host laughed and said "Who are you kidding?!?! She purposed asked if I was truly going on vacation - she was checking up on you to make sure you weren't lying!" I was shocked (don't know this Host that well) and I changed the subject.

Anyway, I'm done venting - thank you. I'll send out that 50% today!!

You ladies are GREAT!!! You were able to change my mindset and make me feel positive about this experience.

Thanks again!!!!
Joanne

chefjeanine said:
50%. That was the agreement. And as "Sister Sarducci" said (sorry Kristi, someday we'll have to meet so you can punch me in the arm), YOU got the trip points, points toward the 8Qt Bowl and a booking.

Oh Jeanine you are so funny! That made me crack up!:D Thanks for the laugh today! By the way, where are you at in Michigan? I was born and raised for the most part in Lapeer, Michigan so I guess if I have too, I'll take the abuse from a sister Michigander!! :D :D :D

JoAnne,
You're welcome on bringing some light to the situation!;) That's what I love about this board. You can come on and vent and then completely see it a whole different way. Good Job!:D

PampMomof3 said:
Oh Jeanine you are so funny! That made me crack up!:D Thanks for the laugh today! By the way, where are you at in Michigan? I was born and raised for the most part in Lapeer, Michigan so I guess if I have too, I'll take the abuse from a sister Michigander!! :D :D :D

Kristi,

I live in Niles Michigan. I'm about 15 minutes from a little school called Notre Dame and about 1/2 an hour from Lake Michigan.

Glad I could make you smile!

:D Thanks Jeanine! I have never heard of Nile but you probably haven't heard of Lapeer either! :eek:

I guess Sister Sarducci better get on the phone to get some bookings for August!:D

I think you should look at the bright side, she was expecting at least 15% of the total show (50% of her commission), now she is only getting 10% (50% of your commission). For her to lose that 'group' as new potential customers will hurt her more in the long run. Especially since you know she was a little back-handed and sly in asking about the vacation!! That host will always come to you in the future, not her!!!! As will most of her friends and guests, I am sure!!! Take the $100 and look forward to more down the line!!! Give her the $100 and let her be happy collecting her override on your sales!!!

You did the right thing!! If a host wanted to submit, you did what was best for everyone!!! Don't second guess your customer service skills, and don't let her second guess your integrity!!!!

I would just do the 50% since that is what you all agreed on to begin with b/c you would not want to create any problems for yourself with the director. I understand how you feel though, but I would just do what is simple. Look at is this way, your undoubtedly impressed the host very much, created a lifetime customer and got some bookings out of it, so, you will make that money back quickly!!

According to Pampered Chef policy whoever does the show gets the commission and your problem is exactly why they have that rule.

I have done a show for my director when she was ill and she didn't even suggest that I share the commission. If another consultant did one of my shows I would tell her that she is the one presenting the products and making the sales. It's her show.

Your director needs to read the pampered chef policies.

It is nice to offer to share it but you are also dealing with taxes remember. PC is putting those sales on YOUR 1098 not hers.

EDIT: If the host had not argued the arrangement I would say that you SHOULD share the profit since you agreed to that this time but the host did not want you to do that. In fact she TOLD you not to. Respect her wishes.

WOW, I've had to give up a show due to death in family and.......I never even gave it a thought about splitting the commission, I did worry afterwards, that I wasn't going to make my June $3000.00 level, but I did by the skin of my teeth. I never did find out what the show was (bridal shower) and if there were any bookings. Which of course, sucks for me, but I can't let it get me down. I've got to just move on.

I think PP should have a way for us to do something like.....party lite does. I know a friend used to sell party lite and had to cover for a friend in last minute emergency, and right upon filing show, you have to change consultant info to show 2 demos. and it gives I believe she said it was like a 70/30 split. Can't remember for sure and she no longer sells.

Maybe, just for curosity sake, I'll call the other person and ask if there were any bookings.

I'd also do as you originally said with the 50%, pretty bad though that your director didn't trust you and called the hostess.

Lisa

I think PP should have a way for us to do something like.....party lite does. I know a friend used to sell party lite and had to cover for a friend in last minute emergency, and right upon filing show, you have to change consultant info to show 2 demos. and it gives I believe she said it was like a 70/30 split. Can't remember for sure and she no longer sells.

I agree that Pampered Chef should have something to help us out in this situation. I am a former PartyLite consultant and they had what was called a split commission plan which took care of situations like this for us. If we had to cover a show for someone, when we submitted it we put both consultant's info into the order and PL took care of splitting the commission. We received 25% total and the person who originally scheduled the show received 10% and the person who held the show received 15% and full credit for sales total (for trip qual. and contests going on) as well as kept all bookings, contacts, etc. It worked real well as PL paid each consultant the commission directly and their was no issue with taxes - and everyone knows the policy going in so theire were never any hard feelings.

Programs like split commissions help everyone since life happens and sometimes you can't do a show at the last minute and hostesses don't want to postpone. This way everyone stayed happy.

Sharon

^^That is a really good idea! Maybe you should write to Pampered Chef where they ask people to send in their suggestions! I think it would be a huge benefit to all persons involved, then it becomes policy and no feeling can be hurt!
I am really surprised that the director handled things the way she did, she should have had more finesse then that! I had a show once and I needed to have one of my consultants do it for me for strep throat also! And I didn't ask for anything! I told her to keep it all and handle it all! I did call the host out of common respect but I never would question what my consultant said!
Sorry you had a bad experience like that, Joanne!
I agree with what everyone on here said, you can walk away from this with respect for yourself for keeping your word and wisdom for the future!

Cathy

Update!Guess what?!?! She told me to keep the money! She jumped the gun and told our cluster that we met the June Challenge for the knife, and some consultants lied to her about submitting shows! When she got the numbers from home office, we didn't make it. So she called and told me to keep the money to make up for "getting my hopes up" about the knife. She is actually going to personally reimburse all the consultants that did submit 2 June shows the knife when we can buy it in August.

I told you I really liked her - and that I was shocked by her initial response. See it all works out in the end!!

Thanks for the support though!
Joanne

Just curious, what normally happens in this case? I know I would hate to give up the sales but even more so the leads down the road when building your business. I can see this from both sides. Fortunately haven't had this happen yet but would like to know in case it comes up.

ChefinHarmony said:
Guess what?!?! She told me to keep the money! She jumped the gun and told our cluster that we met the June Challenge for the knife, and some consultants lied to her about submitting shows! When she got the numbers from home office, we didn't make it. So she called and told me to keep the money to make up for "getting my hopes up" about the knife. She is actually going to personally reimburse all the consultants that did submit 2 June shows the knife when we can buy it in August.

I told you I really liked her - and that I was shocked by her initial response. See it all works out in the end!!

Thanks for the support though!
Joanne

You have an awsome Director:)

I hope ur director etc doesn't subscribe to this website and recognize the situation!!!:D

chefjeanine said:
Kristi,

I live in Niles Michigan. I'm about 15 minutes from a little school called Notre Dame and about 1/2 an hour from Lake Michigan.

Glad I could make you smile!

I almost had to ask a consultant to do a show for me (because my asthma was bothering me). Had I done that, even though I did all the work and host coaching, I would expect whoever did the show for me to make it their show (full sales and bookings). The only benefit I would get is knowing someone on my 1st line might have the successful show.

its_me_susan said:
I almost had to ask a consultant to do a show for me (because my asthma was bothering me). Had I done that, even though I did all the work and host coaching, I would expect whoever did the show for me to make it their show (full sales and bookings). The only benefit I would get is knowing someone on my 1st line might have the successful show.

I agree with Susan....and twice now I have ahd to hand shows to people in my downline - both were when I was not feeling well and called them to fill in at the last minute. I had done all the pre-show legwork (invitations, hostess coaching etc) but once I turned the show over to them it was fully theirs - commission, points, booknigs, leads...I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Chef susan said:
I hope ur director etc doesn't subscribe to this website and recognize the situation!!!:D
Usually people who are that batty don't realize its them You could all talk about me, and I would swear that person was a nut. LOL

AJPratt said:
Usually people who are that batty don't realize its them You could all talk about me, and I would swear that person was a nut. LOL

I know what you're saying, Anne. Oh, hey did you see? Some nut just started a thread (Hugs from Home) about hooking up with soldiers and said her husband told her to do it :eek:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! (For the record....I don't think you're a nut....your response on that thread made me burst out laughing!)

Another way of thinking of it is what goes around, comes around. If you make it a big deal to give away a show that you can't do without getting a part of the sales or leads, noone will want to come to you when they need help. I'm glad it worked out. I would still suggest that you get something nice for your director to thank her for the awesome opportunity she gave you - even if she was the one in need at the time. I'm exhausted, so hopefully it makes sense!

GeorgiaPeach said:
I know what you're saying, Anne. Oh, hey did you see? Some nut just started a thread (Hugs from Home) about hooking up with soldiers and said her husband told her to do it :eek:

OMG!:eek: WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT GIRL?! AND HER HUSBAND FOR THAT MATTER?! :p

I had to give a show to one of my girls--she was having trouble getting bookings but the available date the host HAD to have I couldn't do (prom)--so it was a $950 show--no bookings and now this girl may go inactive Monday---only $400 away from $15,000 in sales--she's an excellent consultant and so organized etc---she only needs $125 this month--

but I do give to my downline--I just told the host she will be dealing with ?? on this...I consider her to be the customer of my recruit--but if inactive....:D

You know... I think that losing the contacts would hurt more than the sales...

I had to give up a show to someone a couple of months ago. Turned out to be a $700+ show, but we agreed ahead of time that she would get the commission, but the contacts were mine. This was a group I have been working with since about 2 years ago, all branching from the same original host. Losing those contacts would be like losing a huge chunk of my biz.

I also told her that if there was a recruit lead from anyone there that I had not had prior contact with, she could take care of that.

It all worked out ok for us, but it is difficult to figure out what to do.
But the contacts... as far as I am concerned, is the most valuable part of the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chefgirl2
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies