• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking With Wooden Spoons: Benefits & Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of bamboo spoons for cooking and compares them to metal and plastic/nylon spoons. The advantages of bamboo spoons mentioned include their eco-friendliness, resistance to absorbing liquids and odors, and ability to be cleaned in the dishwasher. It is also mentioned that metal spoons can scratch non-stick cookware and can react with certain ingredients. Plastic/nylon spoons are a personal preference, with some people preferring them over wood due to the way they feel in their hands. The conversation also mentions the safety of bamboo and nylon tools at high temperatures.
kat29
So I had a show last night and I was using the bamboo spoon for mixing stuff since I forgot my mix-n-scrap. Shame on me (but I sold like 3 mix-n-scraps LOL) Anyway, the customer asked me why is a wooden spoon better to cook with then a metal spoon or plastic spoon? I didn't really have an answer, because I use my nylon spoons to cook with too. I know with a metal spoon you can burn yourself cause the spoon gets hotter then a wooden spoon. Does anyone have an answer that?? TIA

If you are using non stick cookware a metal spoon can scratch the pan, and usually they are shorter than the bamboo spoons so you are more likely to burn yourself that way too

Last edited:
Well, first of all, our bamboo spoons are not wood, they are bamboo which is a grass. Bamboo is also a renewable resource, much more eco-friendly than wood. Bamboo also does not absorb liquids or odors like wooden spoons do.

There is really nothing wrong with using metal or plastic/nylon spoons. As already mentioned, metal will ruin your non-stick cookware, of course. :) But bamboo is preferable over wooden.

Aside from what Shana said, in my opinion, I think that wood or plastic is a personal prefrence. When cooking with non-stick, wood or plastic won't scratch and therefore some people like wood and some like plastic, I prefer the plastic because I don't like how the wood feels in my hands. I also would never buy cheap wood cooking products for fear of the wood splintering and going into the food. Our Bamboo Spoons are some of the few that can go in the dishwasher and due to that they are much safer than the cheaper alternative.

Metal can react with certain ingredients like tomatoes. Whenever a recipe calls for a non reactive pan, DO NOT use a metal utensil!

bamboo wont melt like a plastic spoon or even nylon

stacieka said:
bamboo wont melt like a plastic spoon or even nylon
OUR scrapers and nylon tools are safe to any temperature you'd be cooking with. I had a host say they left a nylon tool in a pan IN the oven and it was fine!

Hi there! I'm so glad you had a successful show and were able to sell some mix-n-scraps! As for your question about why wooden spoons are better for cooking, there are a few reasons. First, wooden spoons are less likely to scratch or damage non-stick cookware, making them a safer option for those types of pans. Additionally, wooden spoons do not conduct heat as much as metal spoons, so you are less likely to burn yourself while cooking. They are also gentle on delicate ingredients, such as eggs or delicate sauces, and won't break them apart like a metal spoon might. Lastly, wooden spoons are eco-friendly and sustainable, making them a great choice for those looking to reduce their environmental impact. I hope this helps answer your question! Happy cooking!

Related to Cooking With Wooden Spoons: Benefits & Tips

1. What are the benefits of cooking with wooden spoons?

Wooden spoons are versatile and durable, making them a great choice for any kitchen. They are gentle on non-stick cookware, do not conduct heat, and are less likely to scratch pots and pans compared to metal utensils. They also do not react with acidic ingredients like metal utensils can, and are less likely to melt or warp when exposed to high heat.

2. How do I properly clean and care for my wooden spoons?

To clean wooden spoons, simply wash them with mild soap and warm water. Avoid soaking them in water for extended periods of time, as this can cause the wood to swell and crack. After washing, dry them with a cloth and stand them upright to air dry completely. To maintain their quality, it's important to oil wooden spoons regularly with food-grade mineral oil.

3. Can wooden spoons be used for all types of cooking?

Yes, wooden spoons can be used for all types of cooking. They are especially useful for stirring and mixing ingredients, but can also be used for sautéing, flipping, and serving food. Just make sure to use a different wooden spoon for each type of dish to prevent cross-contamination.

4. Are there any tips for using wooden spoons?

When using wooden spoons, it's important to choose the right size for the dish you are cooking. A larger spoon is better for stirring large pots of soup or sauce, while a smaller spoon works well for mixing ingredients in a bowl. It's also helpful to use a spoon with a long handle for stirring deep pots or pans. Additionally, avoid leaving wooden spoons in hot dishes or leaving them on a hot stovetop, as this can cause them to warp or crack.

5. Can wooden spoons be used in the dishwasher?

It's not recommended to put wooden spoons in the dishwasher, as the high heat and harsh detergent can damage the wood. Hand washing with mild soap and warm water is the best way to clean and care for wooden spoons. If you do choose to put them in the dishwasher, make sure to place them on the top rack and use a gentle cycle to minimize any potential damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• minersmix
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • jrstephens
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • naekelsey