• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking with One Arm: Tools & Recipes for Grandma's Granddaughter

In summary, the host should do a show focused on teaching a 1 armed granddaughter how to cook using the tools that the granddaughter can use. The show should be presented in a way that does not single out the granddaughter with disabilities.
flemings99
Gold Member
I have a host who wants me to do a show focused on teaching her 1 armed granddaughter how to cook. She is looking for any of our tools that she'll be able to use around the kitchen. Ideas on how to present the show? Product suggestions? Recipe suggestions? I'm at a loss on how to proceed with this one.

At first thought I'd do it like any other show, but I know the grandma wants specific tools that she can/would be able to use highlighted.

Whoa, there! Differently-abled show. chopper. Mandoline. quick stir pitcher

I have a friend that has the use of just one arm and she is able to use all our tools unless they are too heavy like some of the stones especially when they're hot.

The one thing people with a disability HATE is being singled out.So I would just approach it like any other show, but when you call guests up to help you, make sure you include the granddaughter on things like the chopper, quick stir, etc.

As a mother of 2 children who use wheelchairs and are differently abled (thanks, Scott! *wink*) this sounds like such a great idea for a show!! My kiddos are still pretty young, but off the top of my head I am thinking obviously anything with a rubber grip will be good - like the cutting boards - both the kind that come in the starter kit plus the flexible ones (the silicone backing grips countertops) - actually, come to think of it -the silicone ones would seem real handy since they can be folded. I'm thinking the stainless mixing bowls - again, they have silicone bottoms to keep them steady. Here are some of the items that come to my mind as being disability friendly as I go through my catalog - the salad spinner, mini whisk, mini whipper, small and skinny scrapers, the easy read measuring cups, egg separator, easy accent decorator, obviously the tool turn and spice turn about would be vital, making all spices and tools easily accessible, the stainless steel scoops, the saute tongs (I wouldn't recommend the chef's tongs - mine constantly lock up and drive me crazy!), etc!! I am sure there is much more but as I think about our life and what works best for my kids - these items come to mind. Hope this helps!! If i think of anything else I'll let you know. I'm glad you posted this - I now have a budding idea in my mind for future shows!! <3 Happy cooking - most of all, remember to be POSITIVE in everything you say and do. There is nothing worse than negativity surrounding a disability. Celebrate all the possibilities and abilities within the kitchen with the right tools on hand! :)

The bakers roller - I have often sold that as being a great thing for older people or someone who has had a stroke and has difficulty using one side. No one has ever been offended - a lot of people are looking for things to help out elderly relatives. Ways to keep them active and doing things for themselves. This product is one of their favorites.

Don't forget the Quick Stir Pitchers, Easy Opener, Jar Opener (especially if mounted to the underside of a cabinet), and small microcooker.

1. What inspired you to create "Cooking with One Arm: Tools & Recipes for Grandma's Granddaughter?"

The inspiration for this cookbook came from my own personal experience of cooking with one arm. My grandmother, who only had one arm, taught me how to cook using adapted tools and techniques. I wanted to share these with others in similar situations.

2. Are the recipes in this cookbook easy to follow for someone with limited mobility?

Yes, all the recipes in this cookbook have been tested and perfected to be easily followed by someone with limited mobility. The tools and techniques used are also specifically chosen to make cooking with one arm easier.

3. What types of recipes can I expect to find in this cookbook?

This cookbook includes a variety of recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. You'll find everything from simple and quick meals to more complex dishes. There are also recipes for those with dietary restrictions, such as gluten-free and vegetarian options.

4. Do I need to purchase special tools to use with the recipes in this cookbook?

While some recipes may call for specific tools, most of the recipes in this cookbook can be made with basic kitchen tools that you may already have. However, we do recommend investing in some adapted tools, which are specifically designed for those with limited mobility, to make cooking easier and more enjoyable.

5. Is this cookbook suitable for all ages?

Yes, this cookbook is suitable for all ages. It includes recipes that are easy enough for children to help with, as well as more challenging recipes for adults. The tools and techniques used can also be helpful for older individuals who may have decreased mobility.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
PampChefDeb
  • HealthNut
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
HealthNut
  • pamperedchef88