• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking the Perfect Pork Tenderloin without a Thermometer

In summary, without a thermometer, the best way to determine the doneness of a pork tenderloin is by using the "finger test". Using a meat thermometer is the most accurate way to determine the doneness of a pork tenderloin, with a recommended internal temperature of 145°F. Marinating the pork tenderloin before cooking can add flavor and help tenderize the meat, but it is not necessary. You can cook a pork tenderloin in the oven without using any oil, as the natural juices and fat from the meat should keep it moist. A slow cooker can also be used to cook a pork tenderloin without a thermometer, with the recommended cooking time and checking for doneness using the "finger test", fork
jkinak
I got a great deal on pork roasts at Costco today and was going to try the pork tenderloin recipe with one of them.
Question is----I don't have a pocket thermometer or any other thermometer to test the internal tempature while cooking. Should I just go with 10 minutes or wait until I can get a thermometer?
Thanks for your help!
Jill

I would wait for the thermometer. You don't want undercooked pork. Maybe a neighbor has one you can borrow for now so you can make it at your house first. HTH

Hi Jill,Congrats on snagging a great deal on pork roasts at Costco! As for your question about the thermometer, it's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to cooking meat. While 10 minutes may be a good estimate, it's always best to have a thermometer to ensure that the pork is cooked to the proper internal temperature. If you can wait to get a thermometer, I would recommend doing so. However, if you're really eager to try the recipe, you can always bake the pork for 10 minutes and then check the internal temperature with a fork or knife. If it's not fully cooked, you can always put it back in the oven for a few more minutes. Better safe than sorry! Happy cooking!

1. How long should I cook a pork tenderloin without a thermometer?

Without a thermometer, the best way to determine the doneness of a pork tenderloin is by using the "finger test". This involves pressing on the thickest part of the tenderloin with your finger - if it feels firm and slightly springy, it is likely done. It is recommended to cook a 1-inch thick tenderloin for about 20 minutes at 375°F.

2. Can I use a meat thermometer instead?

Yes, using a meat thermometer is the most accurate way to determine the doneness of a pork tenderloin. The recommended internal temperature for cooked pork is 145°F. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the tenderloin, making sure not to touch any bone, and remove from the oven once it reaches the desired temperature.

3. Should I marinate the pork tenderloin before cooking?

Marinating the pork tenderloin before cooking can add flavor and help tenderize the meat. However, if you do not have time to marinate, you can still achieve a delicious result by seasoning the tenderloin with your desired spices and herbs before cooking.

4. Can I cook a pork tenderloin in the oven without using any oil?

Yes, you can cook a pork tenderloin in the oven without using any oil. The natural juices and fat from the tenderloin should be enough to keep it moist and prevent it from sticking to the pan. However, you can brush the tenderloin with a small amount of oil if desired.

5. Can I use a slow cooker to cook a pork tenderloin without a thermometer?

Yes, a slow cooker can be a great tool for cooking a pork tenderloin without a thermometer. Simply follow the recommended cooking time for the size of your tenderloin and check for doneness using the "finger test". You can also use a fork or knife to check if the meat is cooked and tender. If not, continue cooking for a bit longer until it reaches the desired doneness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • augmommychef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenniferm
  • RMDave