• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chilling the Black Forest Trifle: Do I Really Have To?

In summary, it's okay to serve the black forest trifle right away, but it's better if you assemble it from start to finish. You can use either the Chef's Tool Spoon or a pasta fork to serve it.
jasonmva
Silver Member
I have one of those "do I really need to do this step" question. I want to demo the black forest trifle for my Thursday night show. I was wondering if I really have to chill it for 30 minutes after I assemble it or can I bypass that step and let them start eating once I am done?

Let Them Eat Cake (Umm, I mean Trifle....):D

It's fine to let them eat it right away, it won't be as "melded" as it would get if it sat for a while - but I really don't think people will care!

There are several recipes I do that say to refrigerate before eating, but I always serve them right away.

I agree with Becky. I usually say " the recipe says to refrigerate for xxx time, but I know you're dying to try it now!"
This has become one of my favorite new recipes! It's sooo good! My mom requested I make it for my moving team when they all helped us move:)

Thanks girls. Lacy - are you doing this as a demo? If so, are you already having one level complete and then finishing off the remaining level at the show or are you doing the whole thing from start to finish?

BTW - what type of utensil should I serve this with?

Jason,
I use my black nylon spoon to serve the trifle.....I know alot of people use the newer gray nylon Chef's Tool spoon - but I just find it to large and unwieldy to use in the trifle bowl......I like the black one better. Plus, if it's a bigger show, a single scoop serving is smaller.;)

jasonmva said:
BTW - what type of utensil should I serve this with?

The Chef's Tool Spoon

I have been doing this as a demo as well. I do it from the first layer of cake being in the bowl, but that's it. I put together everything else as the demo to show off the new easy adj. measuring spoon & cup. Just make sure that you follow the order! The first time I did this, I did cake/pudding/pie filling & that was a huge mess! Do cake/pie filling/pudding as the order. Some of the juice from the pie filling mixture needs to soak down into the cake. :)

Do you think the pasta spoon would work just as well since I don't have the Chef's Tool Spoon? Or else I could use one of the bamboo spoons.

Pasta fork should work well. It's pretty thick. I left my Nylon Spoon at home for one show and served it with the Slotted Spoon. Worked fine.

Well I just finished my test one to take to work tomorrow and I have to say I am inpressed with myself. This one looks soooo much better than my first one did. Things aren't running all down the outside and I could actually put the lid on without getting cool whip all over it. Now if the people in the office eat it then I know it is ok to serve at my show.

Oh I'm sure they'll eat it~it's yummy:)
I usually make the cake at home ahead of time, bring it to the show, & assemble everything. I do cut the cake into cubes ahead of time too.

Jason, the people in your office obviously have much more discriminating palates than those in mine. If it doesn't eat them first, it's gone.

Everybody loves it. However my boss believes that fruit should not be mxed in with chocolate so she isn't big on the cherries. She had me laughing because she said it was too much work to get to the chocolate by having to move the cherries!

I had a guest who served herself a big piece, carried it into another room, sat down, ate a bite, then said, "Oh, there's chocolate in this. I can't eat chocolate."

It was in the Trifle Bowl. How could she not see the big layers of chocolate?

Some people just don't have the sense God gave a turnip.

raebates said:
I had a guest who served herself a big piece, carried it into another room, sat down, ate a bite, then said, "Oh, there's chocolate in this. I can't eat chocolate."

It was in the Trifle Bowl. How could she not see the big layers of chocolate?

Some people just don't have the sense God gave a turnip.

Now that belongs in the "Here's your sign" postings

Yeah, but I didn't think of it until I read your post about the woman who considered moving the cherries too much work.

What is the purpose of chilling the Black Forest Trifle?

The purpose of chilling the Black Forest Trifle is to allow the layers of cake, cherries, and chocolate to set and meld together, creating a more cohesive and flavorful dish.

How long should I chill the Black Forest Trifle for?

We recommend chilling the Black Forest Trifle for at least 2 hours, but it can also be chilled overnight for maximum flavor.

Can I skip the chilling step?

We do not recommend skipping the chilling step as it is an essential part of the recipe and will result in a less flavorful and cohesive dish.

What if I don't have enough time to chill the Black Forest Trifle?

If you are short on time, you can try placing the trifle in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to speed up the chilling process. However, the flavors may not fully develop and the texture may be slightly different.

Can I chill the Black Forest Trifle in the fridge overnight?

Yes, chilling the trifle overnight will not only allow the flavors to fully develop, but it will also make for a convenient make-ahead dessert option for parties or gatherings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJoyJ
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
kam
  • jj16
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
elizabethfox
Replies