• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Black Forest Trifle Bowl Disaster

In summary, the brownie mix used in this recipe is not like the cake mix used in the recipe for the Black Forest Trifle. The brownie mix is more cake-like and the cherry pie filling is mixed in.
jj16
Gold Member
So I'm hoping some of you pros can help. Thank God this wasn't at a show.

So I did the Black Forest Trifle which was a flop. I'm considering doing a different one.

The first time I had it, it seemed choclatier. Part of that was because I didn't have as many brownies because the edges were hard because of the mix I used. I did the rest of it exactly like it said and it tasted like a bowl of the whipped cream/pudding mixture with some cherry pie filling and some brownies.

Any sugestions? Is there a chocolate one that is a no fail one? I have a show on the 31st and I have really struggled getting bookings. Thanks!

jj16:

Here's the recipe I use. It's always been a big hit.

Black Forest Trifle
1 pkg (9) devil's food cake mix(plus ingredients to make cake)
2 bars (1.55 oz each) milk chocolate candy, divided
1 can (30 oz) cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup cranberry cherry juice
2 cups cold milk
2 pkgs (3.3 oz) white chocolate instant pudding & pie filling
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping thawed1. Preheat oven to 350. Cut an 8 1/2 square parchment paper and lay in bottom of square baker. Prepare cake mix according to package, spread over bottom of baker. Bake 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center come out clean. cool completely.2. Loosen cake from sides of baker and invert cake onto cutting board. Cut cake into 1 inch cubes set aside. Chop 1 1/2 of chocolate bars using food chopper. Reserve remaining chocolate for garnishing.3. Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in small batter bowl, remove 1/2 cup for garnishing and set aside. Stir juice in cherry pie filling in classic batter bowl.4. Pour milk into classic batter bowl, whisk in pudding mixes until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in whipped topping.5. To assemble trifle, place half of the cake in bottom of Trifle Bowl. Layer half of the cherry pie filling mixture evenly over cake cubes. Sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate; top with half of the pudding mixture, pressing lightly. Repeat Layers.6. Garnish top of trifle with reserved cherry pie filling and chocolate curls made with reserved chocolate. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.

I used the same one Rae does. I either have the host make the cake ahead and cool, or make it myself from home and bring it along. I end up using about 2/3 of the cake (that's all I can fit). It is a delicious recipe!! Yummmmmmmmy.

This is probably my favorite Trifle (if I had to pick just one!:)).

I use the recipe posted for last holiday on CC. It looks close to Rae's except it calls for a regular size box brownie mix.(?)

Black Forest Trifle

1 pkg (18-21 oz) brownie mix (plus ingredients to make cake-like brownies)
2 bars (1.55 oz each) milk chocolate candy, divided
3 cups cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup cranberry cherry juice (I just use cranberry juice)
2 cups cold milk
2 pkgs (3.3 oz) white chocolate instant pudding & pie filling
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line Medium Sheet Pan with Parchment Paper; lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies; pour batter into pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of baker and invert cake onto flat side of Large Grooved Cutting Board. Cut brownies into 1 inch cubes using Serrated Bread Knife; set aside.
2. Chop 1½ of chocolate bars using Food Chopper. Reserve remaining chocolate for garnishing.
3. Combine cherry pie filling and almond extract in Small Batter Bowl, remove 1/2 cup for garnishing and set aside. Stir juice in cherry pie filling.
4. Pour milk into Classic Batter Bowl, using Stainless Steel Whisk, whisk in pudding mixes until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in whipped topping.
5. To assemble trifle, place half of the brownie cubes into bottom of Trifle Bowl. Layer half of the cherry pie filling mixture evenly over cake cubes. Sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate; top with half of the pudding mixture, pressing lightly. Repeat layers one more time.
6. Make chocolate curls with reserved chocolate using Vegetable Peeler (see Cook’s Tips). Garnish top of trifle with reserved pie filling mixture and chocolate curls. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Cook’s Tips: To make chocolate curls, hold the Vegetable Peeler across the short side of the chocolate bar. Using even pressure, push the blade away from you to create curls. This trifle can be assembled several hours before serving, or even the night before.

I've NEVER failed on my Peanut Butter Cup one. ;)

You can't go wrong with Janet's Peanut Butter Cup Trifle. Unless someone is allergic to peanuts, this is the way to go.

True confession --> Last time I made it we used vanilla instant pudding instead of chocolate (due to a misremembering/misunderstanding on my part) and when we made the layers, I thought that the different colors contrasted delightfully -- dark brownies, tan peanut butter pudding and white cool whip topped with the chopped peanut butter cups. No one complained a bit. Yum.

LeslieSGI said:
You can't go wrong with Janet's Peanut Butter Cup Trifle. Unless someone is allergic to peanuts, this is the way to go.

True confession --> Last time I made it we used vanilla instant pudding instead of chocolate (due to a misremembering/misunderstanding on my part) and when we made the layers, I thought that the different colors contrasted delightfully -- dark brownies, tan peanut butter pudding and white cool whip topped with the chopped peanut butter cups. No one complained a bit. Yum.

That does sound good that way too!

I agree, the peanut butter cup one is awesome!

I haven't (yet) tried Janet's recipe, so my no-fail is the Tiramisu Brownie Trifle. My only change is to use dark chocolate chips (you can get the Hershey's Special Dark in chip form), instead of the candy bars. Gives more of a chocolate flavor, and easier than grating the chocolate.

I brought this to a meeting because I knew a friend was going to be there, and told her to take the leftovers home. She was thanking me for days!!

I didn't see Janet's peanut butter trifle. Could you post it for me? thanks! Carol

mom4angela said:
I didn't see Janet's peanut butter trifle. Could you post it for me? thanks! Carol

Go to files and type in peanut butter cup trifle - it's there!

I say that, because it just clutters things up to re-post or re-link to the same recipes over and over when they are in the files. ;)

Now with the recipe on CC for the black forest trifle.. it says to refrigerate for 30min... do you have to do that or no?

1. What is the Black Forest Trifle Bowl Disaster?

The Black Forest Trifle Bowl Disaster is a common issue that occurs when making a traditional Black Forest trifle dessert in a Pampered Chef trifle bowl. The layers of cake, cherry filling, and whipped cream often become mixed together, resulting in a messy and unappetizing presentation.

2. Why does the Black Forest trifle often turn into a disaster in the trifle bowl?

The key to a successful Black Forest trifle is layering the ingredients in a specific order. However, when using a traditional trifle bowl, the curved sides can make it difficult to achieve distinct layers. This can lead to the ingredients mixing together and creating the disaster.

3. How can I prevent the Black Forest Trifle Bowl Disaster?

To avoid the disaster, we recommend using a Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl with straight sides. This allows for easier layering and prevents the ingredients from mixing together. You can also try using a spoon to carefully add and spread each layer instead of pouring them in.

4. Can I still use a traditional trifle bowl for other desserts?

Yes, you can still use a traditional trifle bowl for other desserts that do not require distinct layers, such as a fruit trifle or a pudding trifle. You can also try using a clear glass bowl with straight sides as an alternative to the Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl.

5. What if I don't have a Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl?

If you do not have a Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl, you can try using a clear glass bowl with straight sides as an alternative. Alternatively, you can also use individual glass cups or mason jars to create mini trifles, which can be easier to layer and serve without the risk of a disaster.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RMDave
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
RMDave
Replies
Views
whiteyteresa
Replies
Views
Grandmarita