• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Caller ID: Should I Call Back? Tips for Managing Unknown Calls at Home

In summary, it seems that the person who called may have been looking for someone they know, and if it's not one of those people, they may be PC-related. However, the person does not recognize the number, so they are unsure if they should call back.
Jules711
Silver Member
I always check my caller id at home when I've been gone for awhile. I see that I got a call yesterday at about 3pm and today at about noon. I am home during the day quite often. I'm not sure that I recognize the names, but it does seem that if it's not a telemarketer or someone I know, it's PC related.

So...should I call them? They didn't leave a message, which I thought was a little odd since they called during the day and I would typically assume that people aren't home then. However, I know a lot of people don't like to leave messages.

I personally do not call people back if they did not leave a message.

There have been a few times when I've called someone and dialed the wrong number and I didn't leave a message - that person has called me back and kind of blunlty said to me who are you and why did you call me - or they've said I saw you called, what did you want. When I told them that I dialed their number in error is the reason I didn't leave a message they usually just say okay and hang up.

If you know them or recognize thier name, then maybe call back.

But were you offended that they called? I obviously wouldn't be rude or blunt. I figured that I would just say who I am and that I was just checking to see if there is something I can do for them.

If I don't recognize the number and they don't leave a message, I don't call back. They need to realize that they need to leave a message. I have a guy host who refuses to leave a message. He says that he'll just keep calling until he gets me. Fine with me if he wants to keep calling.

There are just alot of times I don't know who it is, if it's a wrong number, etc.

I don't like when people use their caller ID as an answering machine..I am put off when I make a call in error or if I am calling someone I intend to speak with, but if something suddenly comes up while I am dialing and the phone rings once or so and I hang up, I get a call immediately back saying "who is this, etc"... Unless I know the number I will not call back.
I'd let it go for now..if they want to speak with you they will call back when you are able to be home and talk.

My feeling is if they want you to call them they will leave a message. I have people call my work saying they got a call from this number. Well, if you did I left a message. Then they try to figure out why they would have rec'd a call from me. I call too many people to remember everyone & when I get a machine I leave a msg. So, I myself do not like for people to call me back b/c they saw my number on their caller id.

Don't you hate the fact that so many people seem to think having Caller ID means that they don't need an answering machine! :confused: I don't know what they are thinking. An answering machine is critical in an emergency situation. Same thing with people who give you their cell phone number but don't have voice mail on their cell. It's really the same situation because often their cell phone is the only phone they have.

I never call anyone back unless they leave me a message. My friend kept calling and never leaving a message and then would get mad that I didn't call her back. I finally had to tell her to leave a message and I would call her.

I guess I just know that a lot of people don't like to leave messages, esp for someone that they don't necessarily know very well. I always leave messages even if it's just to say that I'll call back later. What I dislike is when people use Caller ID to screen there calls from actual people (I screen for telemarketers). When I've called my customers/hosts back from Caller ID, they are happy. I think they assume that if I'm not there, that I won't be able to call them for hours, but sometimes I'm here or close by.The consensus seems to be that I should NOT call. That is would be considered rude and annoying. That's why I asked b/c if someone called me, I don't think I'd be offended. Thank you! Hopefully, they'll call back!

DO make sure your answering machine is very clear.My voicemail on my cell phone says, "Hi you have reached Janet ____, Independent Consultant for the Pampered Chef. Your call is very important to me so please leave your name, number and brief message and I will get back to you as soon as possible."

Try entering the area code and phone # in Google...
you may recognize the caller.HTH,

I always google the phone number to see if it's someone I know. Usually, it's not. I feel that if it's important, they will leave me a message.

Their name was on the caller id. I felt like the address was familiar. Maybe from a booth I did.

Either you call back and have a potential customer or you don't call back and you have nothing. I would call back.

Okay, that's not true cause I don't have Caller ID cause it's obnoxious that people screen their calls. I've gotten those "you just called me" calls and I find them offensive. However, if I had called and you called back POLITELY, then I would probably be okay with you. (circular, huh?)

I am always put off by the calling back from caller id if I didn't leave a message. In fact, I abhor it. I personally do not and would not call back. What would you say?"Hi, this is Katherine, Independent Consultant for the Pampered Chef. I believe someone from this number called me. Was it you? How can I help you?" While that's not rude, what if it was for my husband? Or someone from church? If it was a dedicated line for JUST Pampered Chef, I wouldn't worry so much about these thing, but would still know I know I am a bit on the extreme end, and know there are people with other opinions - and that's ok! really! I don't think I'm right and as technology seeps I might be getting closer to culturally wrong, but it is how I would feel if I were the person on the other end.

I use the caller ID to see if I need to check messages, since our voice mail doesn't communicate with the phone correctly, so the message light doesn't come on. But I don't call people unless they left a message (unless they called while I'm on another call and I can't beep over, because the voice mail doesn't come on in a call waiting situation). But I do have a friend with no answering machine who uses his caller ID instead. What I actually hate more is when people assume you have caller ID and know who they are when they call and don't identify themselves. My caller ID is number only and I hate it when people call and just start talking without letting me know who they are. One of my clustermates is a perpetual offender that way.

chefann said:
I...........unless they called while I'm on another call and I can't beep over, because the voice mail doesn't come on in a call waiting situation). ......
I call those people back too.

I agree with what you all have been saying about those annoying and rude things people say when they call back and how that makes us feel but I know that I don't mind that kind of call at all when the person is nice about it. I know I have had at least a couple potential customers tell me that they called multiple times but didn't get an answer and I never had a message. They were actually upset with me for not calling back - go figure.

If you have the slightest inkling that you may know these people (like from your fair) I would call and say something like:

"Hi, this is ________ from The Pampered Chef. I got a call from this number and just wanted to be sure to get back to you if you needed something." Or say something about concern that your machine didn't pick up (which HAS happened to me)...

The person at the other end can hang up, say "no, we didn't call you" (wrong number...), say "thanks for calling back - I got another call" (or whatever reason they didn't leave a message), or say "no, but I have been wanting ____ Pampered Chef".

If you are kind and professional I see nothing wrong with taking that second to make that call back.

I received a call on my cel phone 2 days after I got it from a number I did not recognize. I called it back and when the receptionist asked what business I represented ... I told her Pampered Chef! Of course, nothing came of that random call ....

When I first got my number it must have been newly disconnected. I can't remember the name now, but I got calls ALL the time for someone else and would come home to msgs for this person even though my answering machine clearly stated my name. I called these people back for over a month. Some of them were bill collectors and HECK, I don't want them calling me. They did still for awhile b/c I think they thought I was lying that I wasn't that person. The one message I did get was an important one for this person. I called the person back and they thanked me over and over for calling them to let them know this was the wrong number.
I don't call back the numbers I see on the caller id. Unless there is a name and they are a customer/hostess. Then I will call them and simply say. This is Chris, your Pampered Chef consultant. I had seen that you called and was wondering how I can help you?
But if it could be a telemarketer, NO WAY will I call them.

Related to Caller ID: Should I Call Back? Tips for Managing Unknown Calls at Home

1. What is Caller ID and how does it work?

Caller ID is a feature on telephones that displays the phone number and, in some cases, the name of the person or business calling. It works by using a signaling system called Automatic Number Identification (ANI) which transmits the caller's phone number to the receiving phone. This information is then displayed on the recipient's caller ID screen.

2. How can I manage unknown calls at home?

One way to manage unknown calls at home is to use a caller ID service. This will allow you to see the phone number and name of the caller before answering the call. You can also use call blocking features on your phone or through your phone service provider to block unknown or unwanted calls. Additionally, you can choose not to answer calls from numbers you do not recognize or to let them go to voicemail.

3. Should I call back if I missed a call from an unknown number?

It is generally not recommended to call back an unknown number. Scammers often use this tactic to trick people into answering their calls and potentially giving away personal information. If the call is important, the caller will likely leave a voicemail or call back again. If you are unsure, you can always do a quick online search of the number to see if it is associated with any known scams.

4. What are some red flags to watch out for when it comes to unknown calls?

Some red flags to watch out for when it comes to unknown calls include receiving multiple calls from the same number within a short period of time, the caller asking for personal information, or the caller using threatening or urgent language to try and get you to answer. If you encounter any of these red flags, it is best to avoid answering the call.

5. How can I protect myself from potential scams through unknown calls?

To protect yourself from potential scams through unknown calls, it is important to never give out personal information over the phone. This includes your social security number, credit card information, and bank account details. You can also register your phone number with the National Do Not Call Registry to reduce the number of unwanted calls you receive. If you suspect a call may be a scam, hang up and report it to the Federal Trade Commission.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sfdavis918
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Melonie Swinamer
  • Karen Weber
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Karen Weber
  • mrssyvo