• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Brie-Making for Your Open House: What to Buy & Taste

um...bad if I make this and have it at my party tomorrow and don't eat any?It's not bad if you have it at your party. Just make sure to eat some.
ChefJWarren
Gold Member
They made the brie at my cluster meeting and the brie "ran" all over the stove and floor. I'm making this for my open house tomorrow! Is there a certain type of brie I should buy? What does the other cheese they recommend -Camembert- taste like?

I just buy the regular brie. Make sure you leave the rind on!! Not sure what else to tell you!!

I agree with Stacie. I bet the brie didn't have the rind on it. You have to leave it on (it's edible). I've never tried Camembert..

I am making this at a party soon, along with the jerk chicken nachos. Should i make it and have it ready when guests arrive? We are demo-ing the jerk chicken nachos so i didn't want to demo two recipes... any suggestions?

You have to get the Brie with the rind. The most popular brand I've seen around here is President and it comes in a round box in the fancy cheese section of the store.

You can easily make the brie ahead of time and have it ready when guests arrive. You want to serve it warm. It cooks for just 8 mins, so you may want to put it in when the first guest arrives. If it cools too much it gets kinda gummy.

ETA: If you have an Aldi store near you, they have Brie and Camebert for 2.99 right now!!!!! Plus they have Almond Bark if you're doing any of the Homeade for the HOlidays stuff.

Last edited:
I like it better with Camembert. It has a rind, too, that needs to be left on.

kspry said:

This is what I have made mine with too. Walmart has not had Brie when I have made it.

I agree that the rind must not have been on b/c I do not see how it could run if the rind was on from the way mine was when I made it.

I love this recipe! I think my host Sat is making it to go with what I am demo'ing.

I've make it 2x and the first time it ran really bad. We did leave the rind on; HOWEVER, it stayed in the oven a few too many minutes. I think that's what happened with ours. The heat really releases the oil. The second time I made it it didn't run. There was oil on the stone, but it didn't get everywhere. It pretty much just stayed under the cheese.

Just thought of something:

For those that it has run, did you cook the bread around it? Did it help it not run off the stone? Just wondering in case mine ever runs if the bread helped.

I have prepared it twice at shows. The first show it stayed all together. The next show it ran a little. It may have been in the oven to long. Both times I used brie with the rind and placed the bread around it. Everyone loves it. My fav is the Sundried Tomato Pesto Brie. YUMMM!!

I have made it at several shows and at the last show we did all 3 versions, I put the bread around it and leave the rind on, I haven't had any run yet, lol, bu I am doing it at a show for family, and so if its going to run, that will be the time...lol.

ChefJeniLobdell said:
I have prepared it twice at shows. The first show it stayed all together. The next show it ran a little. It may have been in the oven to long. Both times I used brie with the rind and placed the bread around it. Everyone loves it. My fav is the Sundried Tomato Pesto Brie. YUMMM!!
I have got to try that one. Lately, I'm having a hard time finding regular brie. I've found lite brie, brie wedges, triple cream brie, extra large brie...But I just am not seeing the regular stuff. I don't really need it, yet, so it's not too big a problem. If I have to buy a three pack at Sam's I will.

It's just a thought but did they place the top layer with the cut side of the Brie up or down? I think that it would run more if it was down. The recipe does say to put it up but I can see that it would be easy to miss that note too... just wondering. I've made this at 8 or 10 shows and have not had it run at all.

kspry said:

Is it the flavor or texture or what that you prefer?

quiverfull7 said:
It's just a thought but did they place the top layer with the cut side of the Brie up or down? I think that it would run more if it was down. The recipe does say to put it up but I can see that it would be easy to miss that note too... just wondering. I've made this at 8 or 10 shows and have not had it run at all.

I bet you're exactly right! That makes sense. I was thinking it was just in a little too long (as others have said), but I bet the top was put on upside down. I have left one in a little long and it ran a little, but only after we cut into it.

I didn't know that Sam's sold a 3 pack. That's a great tip (if it's cheaper :rolleyes: ).

The flavor - brie has a moldy/bitter taste, to me, and camembert doesn't.
I've read they are the exact same thing, but I don't believe it....

Mmm, tried the Sundried Tomato Pesto version Friday night with friends. Awesome! It's more expensive for the ingredients, so I probably wouldn't suggest it for a show, esp if I'm buying the ingredients.

My favorite version is the apple cranberry brie. It is made with apple, cranberry, brown sugar and our karinje cinnamon. It was a hit at my show the other night. I didn't care for the combination of flavors with the jalepeno and jelly, so I found this one.

I have a brie recipe that calls for parchment paper under it. Wonder if this is why ? could be for transferring too. Can't hurt to try

I've made this recipe for the last 13 shows. Make sure the rind is down on both the top and bottom layers. Also- with the filling- try to get apricot preserves instead of jelly or jam. If it is thicker it is less runny. I've only had it run once and that was when the top was on with the rind down.

I do the recipe at the beginning of my demo and then put it in the oven, talk about pots and pans and SA and then serve it. This keeps my show short and sweet. You are using the knives, stoneware and chopper during your recipe prep.

lockhartkitchen said:
My favorite version is the apple cranberry brie. It is made with apple, cranberry, brown sugar and our karinje cinnamon. It was a hit at my show the other night. I didn't care for the combination of flavors with the jalepeno and jelly, so I found this one.

Can you give us more detail about this recipe? Sounds yummy! :chef:

Here is the recipe for the Apple/Cranberry Brie

Attachments

• Baked Brie with Apples.doc
    24 KB · Views: 291

1. How do I choose the right type of brie for my open house?

When selecting a brie for your open house, it's important to consider the level of ripeness and type of milk used. For a milder flavor, choose a younger brie made from cow's milk. If you prefer a stronger, more complex flavor, opt for a brie made from goat's milk. You can also choose between a triple cream brie for a richer taste or a double cream brie for a lighter option.

2. How should I store my brie before the open house?

Brie should be stored in the refrigerator until about an hour before your open house. It's best to keep it in its original packaging or wrapped in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Take it out of the fridge about an hour before serving to allow it to come to room temperature and fully develop its flavors.

3. What accompaniments go well with brie for an open house?

Brie pairs well with a variety of accompaniments, such as fruits (grapes, apples, pears), crackers or bread, honey, nuts, and cured meats. You can also serve it with a variety of spreads, such as fig jam or cranberry sauce, for a sweet and savory combination.

4. How should I cut and serve brie at my open house?

To cut brie, use a sharp knife and cut it into wedges. You can also leave it whole and let guests scoop out portions with a knife or spreader. Serve it on a platter with your chosen accompaniments, or place individual portions on small plates with a knife for spreading.

5. Can I make my own brie for the open house?

Brie-making can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it can also be time-consuming and requires specific equipment and ingredients. If you're up for the challenge, there are plenty of recipes available online. However, if you're short on time, it's best to purchase a high-quality brie from a reputable cheese shop or grocery store for your open house.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• CAPCnewbie
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
jackieblue
  • kearstin
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • pampchef.angel