• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bracing for the Chill: Surviving the Cold Season | Stay Warm with Our Tips

In summary, the temperature is cold, there is snow, and people in other parts of the country are enjoying a warmer winter than Wisconsin.
NW Ohio (Toledo) cancelled school today also. It's suppose to be a little colder tomorrow (wind chill -25) so I would bet no school tomorrow either. It's just to darn cold for kids to stand outside waiting for the bus. Let's all just remember the unseasonably warm temps in December. Oh I wish those days were back. BURRRRRR:)

The good news is that even w/ the school closings and frigid temps, my host for tonight is still gung-ho...and expecting 20 people! Everyone is getting cabin fever and wants out of the house! The best part is she only lives 2 blocks from me - so I don't have to travel far in this weather! Whoo Hooo! I am going to really push the "Taste Of The Tropics" tonight!!!

We have school cancelled too! My host for tonight just called and is turning her show into a catalog show because it is too cold she doesn't think anyone will come. I can now stay home (not feeling the best today).

Back when I was a kid (and we pounded our term papers out on manual portable typewriters) school was only closed in the event of deep snow. It always revolved around the busses - if the busses could run, we had school. I don't remember school ever being closed because of temperature. I walked to my grade school (about a quarter of a mile) and I remember walking backwards to keep my face out of the wind.I am trying sooooo hard to not say... WUSSES!

I agree. It is only cold.
Bundle the kids up and keep them in the house until the bus comes!! That's what I would have done.

so coldit was so cold I had to plug my car in. for those of you who don't know some of us up north have heaters that attach to the engine to warm the oil when it gets really cold. kind of funny when an out of stater says why do you have a plug in on your car. opens the door for many smart remarks.

I don't know about the public schools, but my son went to preschool this morning! Woo hoo!

poohritz said:
it was so cold I had to plug my car in. for those of you who don't know some of us up north have heaters that attach to the engine to warm the oil when it gets really cold. kind of funny when an out of stater says why do you have a plug in on your car. opens the door for many smart remarks.
Do what I do - tell them, "Well, it's actually an electric car, but I don't have an extension cord long enough to drive it on a trip to your state."

Then walk away. That'll have 'em thinking for awhile.

For all of you Florida people who are talking about how warm you are--I don't believe you. My parents live in central Florida. We visited them one year during the week between Christmas and New Years Day. While we were there it was raining and colder than Indiana that week. My brother and I decided then and there that our dear parents were actually terrible liars. We no longer believe any of you Floridians when you brag about all that warm winter weather. We know the truth!

Although all the school districts around us are cancelled, our schools are still open today. The town I live in is so small that we do not have buses so the kids walk to school or get dropped off. The only time school is cancelled is when the windchill is -40. The kindergarteners have their own school and it is actually located right out sid eof town in the next community, we rent buses from that community so the kids can ride a bus for one year. On days like today all the kids need to be driven to driven to and from school.

Tracy

It was -40 without a windchill when I got up this morning and the kids still had to go to school. Having to go out and start the car is horrible, but it started no problem. (knock on wood) I don't think they've ever closed the schools because or the cold. I guess we are equiped for this type of weather where some of you down south are not.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
But, but, but it's getting warmer - the experts all tell us so. :rolleyes:
What many people don't realize about global warming (I assume that's what you were referring to, KG) is that it will actually cause temps to go down, eventually. The warning will cause more evaporation of water, which will then collect in the atmosphere. That water vapor will get thicker until it blocks the sunlight, which will cause the surface temperature to go down. So a global warming event will actually cause another ice age.

But my thought on the matter is that the planet survived for millions of years without us. It'll survive without us after we're gone. And maybe we weren't meant to be the dominant species, so nature is fighting back, trying to get rid of us.

Gillian,
I just thought how I would hate to live in that cold state of ALaska! I know it's beautiful. My uncle used to live in (Anchorage) I think and always wanted me to visit...heck no! I can't even stand the winter weather of Ohio. MY kids are glad to be home from school today. This morning it was 1 degree...without wind chill! Tomorrow is supposed to be just as cold.

Deb, I always watch the Chicago weather to see what we will be getting for the next day so I guess by your post, I have not much to look forward to! I gues I'll make some host packets up! Somthing inside!

...had block heaters on previous vehicles - not on the current ones. They whined, but started o.k. in the temps. Just started them 20-30 minutes earlier!!!!

School delayed here today by two hours but not cancelled. I think it's actually up to 11 degrees now. Supposed to be colder tonight than last night. I looked once and it was 3 degrees, but the windchill was supposed to be -20 degrees. On the other hand, we've barely had any snow this year, so that was a nice break.

Still wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I enjoy the seasons and would miss the snow if I never saw it again (or got to play in it!). The cold makes me appreciate the rest of the year that much more!!

nicki25 said:
I agree. It is only cold.
Bundle the kids up and keep them in the house until the bus comes!! That's what I would have done.
The kids can't wait in the house they have to walk to the bus stops but you know what is the worst there would be kids who would wear shorts and their parents would let them! The parents should have to pay for everyone else's doctor bills.

raebates said:
For all of you Florida people who are talking about how warm you are--I don't believe you. My parents live in central Florida. We visited them one year during the week between Christmas and New Years Day. While we were there it was raining and colder than Indiana that week. My brother and I decided then and there that our dear parents were actually terrible liars. We no longer believe any of you Floridians when you brag about all that warm winter weather. We know the truth!

Hey Rae~Where at in Central Florida? That's where I'm at! My thermometer is saying 67 F right now.:cool: You have to remember that we lovely FLoridians have HURRICANES! YUCKY!!!!:mad:

PampMomof3 said:
Hey Rae~Where at in Central Florida? That's where I'm at! My thermometer is saying 67 F right now.:cool: You have to remember that we lovely FLoridians have HURRICANES! YUCKY!!!!:mad:

Mom and Dad are in Avon Park, near Seabring. Basically they're smack-dab in the middle of the state. We always laugh that it's Camelot. Mom claims that it rarely rains, and, even when it does, it stops after an hour or so. Though they did have some storms when the hurricanes came through a couple of years ago.

Where is Palm Bay?

My grandparent stayed in Avon Park one winter, but it was too boring for them :) We went & visited and I did not have much fun except we got to go to Disney. Now they live along the gulf in Nokomis & it is awsome, we took my son last March and had a blast!! Ok, now I am ready to head for FL before Indiana gets a big blizzard that is supposed to be coming tonight. Who knows it may be big or small... We will see.
I am going isane at home b/c our DS is only a month old so we don't want to take him out if we don't have to. I did go to the store last night to stock up before the big blizard :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Back when I was a kid (and we pounded our term papers out on manual portable typewriters) school was only closed in the event of deep snow. It always revolved around the busses - if the busses could run, we had school. I don't remember school ever being closed because of temperature. I walked to my grade school (about a quarter of a mile) and I remember walking backwards to keep my face out of the wind.

I am trying sooooo hard to not say... WUSSES!

Hey KG did you have to walk up hill both ways with no shoes on??:D

YES! Through 15 foot snow drifts, too. And we liked it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • laylaleigh
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookin to the top
  • nikked
  • General Chat
Replies