• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Friend/Roomate Having Major Surgery Tuesday A.m.

In summary, my long-time friend is having a cervical spinal surgery tomorrow at about 11:30 a.m. This is a 2 hour surgery and is a MAJOR surgery.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
My long-time friend (basically a sibling to me) is having a cervical spinal surgery tomorrow at about 11:30 a.m. This is a 2 hour surgery and is a MAJOR surgery.

Basically, what they do is go in through the FRONT of the neck, move the esophagus aside, remove the discs that have degenerated, and replace it with bone from the "bone bank." Then they put you in a brace and you're unable to move your neck. Also, you can only eat really soft food, like soup and juice.

I'm probably more freaked out about this than my friend is.

My friend will be staying in the hospital for a day or so, then with family for a couple of days. I have a feeling there will be a lot of issues when said roomate comes home, since Roomie is a neat freak and I am not, and all the cleaning will be on my shoulders. I am taking next week as vacation but can't be home 24/7.

My running joke for some time has been, when somebody asks how my friend is doing, is "Has a pain in the neck, and is being a pain in mine!" Not so far from the truth.

Please pray for a speedy healing, and for grace for both of us.

i will be keeping your roommate in my prayers. my uncle had this same surgery last summer. and is doing great! your roommate come through with flying colors i am sure! i will be praying for you as well! you will need prayers too so you don't go crazy taking care of your roommate for that time!!

Prayers your way for a quick recovery for your friend.

I've prayed for your friend.

Thank you all!

Surgery went well as expected. Of course, there is a lot of pain ... not so much at the surgery site, but in the back of the neck. Partially due to the surgery ... also partly due to the spinal cord not being compressed for a long time.

I'm really concerned about the recovery process ... the doc said there are 2 collars ... shower with the 1st collar, then change it. I'm kind of concerned about changing the collar. What if I do it wrong?

I'll be praying for both of you. So glad surgery went well.

My husband may be facing a similar situation as your friend. He just went this morning for an MRI of his neck. He has numbness and tingling down his right arm. His discs have degenerated and they think he has one buldging. He's going to a chiropractor right now - not an ortho. dr. yet.

Keep us posted on how her recovery goes.

Take Care,

Rhonda, I'll keep your DH in prayer. He has the exact same symptoms as my friend (except in my friend's case it was both arms) so it is VERY possible that his spinal cord is compressed.

The doctor said without the surgery, it will just get worse.

It is a hereditary condition. My friend has several family members with it, including a sister. My pastor's wife has a similar condition in her back and hers was hereditary too.

1. What are some helpful meals I can make for my friend/roommate after their surgery?

Some helpful meal ideas for someone recovering from surgery include soft foods like mashed potatoes, soup, or smoothies. You can also make casseroles or pre-made meals that can be easily reheated. It's also important to consider any dietary restrictions or preferences your friend/roommate may have.

2. How can I help my friend/roommate with daily tasks while they recover?

Offering to run errands, doing household chores, or picking up groceries are all ways to help your friend/roommate while they recover. You can also help by driving them to appointments or simply being there to listen and provide emotional support.

3. What should I expect in terms of recovery time for my friend/roommate?

The recovery time for surgery can vary depending on the type of surgery and the individual's overall health. It's best to consult with their doctor for a more accurate estimate. It's also important to keep in mind that everyone heals at their own pace.

4. How can I make my friend/roommate more comfortable during their recovery?

One way to make your friend/roommate more comfortable during their recovery is to create a cozy and relaxing environment for them. This can include setting up a designated recovery space with their favorite things, providing them with comfortable clothing, and making sure they have everything they need within reach.

5. What can I do to support my friend/roommate emotionally during this time?

Recovering from surgery can be a challenging and emotional time for anyone. You can support your friend/roommate by simply being there for them and offering a listening ear. You can also do little things to cheer them up, like bringing them their favorite snacks or watching a movie together.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies