• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Best Tips for Cleaning a Non-Self-Cleaning Gas Oven

In summary, Debbie's best tip is to not use the oven until you can get a new one. Her second best tip is to DON'T use the oven. Her third best tip is to hire someone to clean it if that doesn't work.
AJPratt
Silver Member
I have a gas oven that is not self clean. What is your best tip for cleaning it?

Hopefully, after our re-fi, I'll get a nice new one, but until then...

Three TipsMy best tip is...wouldn't work for you, because you're waiting to buy a new one...:D :p

My second best tip is...DON'T! :D :p

My third best tip is...If that doesn't work, hire someone! :D :p

Can you tell that cleaning the oven is NOT on my list of favorite things to do?

I'd be interested in any tips too!!!

My best tip. Stop using the oven until you can get a new one.

On the more helpful side, make sure whatever you do that you keep the kitchen well ventilated and wear gloves. You might try one of the oven spray cleaners and see what it looks like afterwards.

I haven't had a gas oven since I got married, but I've had 2 electric ones that were supposedly self cleaning, but wouldn't because the clock/timer function was broken. It's better to clean it when the weather is nice enough to open all the windows for air. And the heavy-duty spray cleaners from the discount store can work. If you've got a lot of burnt-on bits, it may take two (or more!) applications. And definitely wear gloves!!

My neighbor swears by whatever oven cleaner the Dollar Tree sells. She says it's really good.

I had to do this at a house we rented when we first got married, I just bought some kind of canned cleaner. MAKRE SURE TO OPEN DOORS AND WINDOWS the smell is awful.

I agree with everyone else, don't use it until you buy a self cleaning one!! :eek:

You guys crack me up! Its going to be a few months until we get a new one. LOL

AJPratt said:
You guys crack me up! Its going to be a few months until we get a new one. LOL
If that's the case, skip it and wait. ;)

Clean that oven!!!
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If that's the case, skip it and wait. ;)

YUCK!!! :eek: :eek:

LOL :p :p :p

GEt yourself some EZ off and make sure you have open windows, open doors a fan running cause it's pretty powerful stuff. It will clean up the mess in a snap. WEAR GLOVES. It's toxic. Make sure you follow the instructions.
Preheat the oven to the temp it says and blast away those stains. Do not breathe it in, take fresh air breaks, lay down newspaper, and get ready to CLEAN!!!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I just barely got a self cleaning stove, it was already in this house when we bought it 6 months ago but the electricity it uses to clean itself I heard is crazy. I will just clean the old fashioned way until my pregnant body can't take it, and then my good friends can come over and do it for me!! :D

Debbie :D :D :D

DebbieSAChef said:
YUCK!!! :eek: :eek:

LOL :p :p :p

GEt yourself some EZ off and make sure you have open windows, open doors a fan running cause it's pretty powerful stuff. It will clean up the mess in a snap. WEAR GLOVES. It's toxic. Make sure you follow the instructions.
Preheat the oven to the temp it says and blast away those stains. Do not breathe it in, take fresh air breaks, lay down newspaper, and get ready to CLEAN!!!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I just barely got a self cleaning stove, it was already in this house when we bought it 6 months ago but the electricity it uses to clean itself I heard is crazy. I will just clean the old fashioned way until my pregnant body can't take it, and then my good friends can come over and do it for me!! :D

Debbie :D :D :D

Debbie - Have your friends come over now and do it, and get out of the house while they are doing it! Fumes from oven cleaner are very dangerous for your baby!!! I was cleaning mine and the next day found out I was pregnant....my Dr. wasn't real thrilled when she found out -and told me to stay away from it (along with kitty litter!).

I agree with the ones saying "don't", but something that has helped me not have to clean mine, is this silicone oven mat thingy that goes on the bottom of your oven and catches any and all spills and when it's time to clean, you just pull it out, go over to the trash can and wipe it off!!! It's the best thing EVER!!!!!

Just put a bowl of amonia in the closed oven overnight. The fumes will soften any gunk. I then use a scrubbie sponge with water and wash it down.

Oven is clean right now!
ChefBeckyD said:
Debbie - Have your friends come over now and do it, and get out of the house while they are doing it! Fumes from oven cleaner are very dangerous for your baby!!! I was cleaning mine and the next day found out I was pregnant....my Dr. wasn't real thrilled when she found out -and told me to stay away from it (along with kitty litter!).

Actually my oven is pretty clean right now, I haven't had to clean it because after each use I am quick to clean up any gunk that spilled or mess that I have made. But thanks for your concern.
I will be sure to let my buddies know when it is dirty enough for them to come over and clean it for me.
Debbie

c00p said:
I agree with the ones saying "don't", but something that has helped me not have to clean mine, is this silicone oven mat thingy that goes on the bottom of your oven and catches any and all spills and when it's time to clean, you just pull it out, go over to the trash can and wipe it off!!! It's the best thing EVER!!!!!
Can I use them in a gas oven?

DebbieSAChef said:
Actually my oven is pretty clean right now, I haven't had to clean it because after each use I am quick to clean up any gunk that spilled or mess that I have made. But thanks for your concern.
I will be sure to let my buddies know when it is dirty enough for them to come over and clean it for me.
Debbie

After all, that's what friends are for...right??? We have a great Mom's Group at my church, and do that kind of stuff for each other all the time.:D

Related to Best Tips for Cleaning a Non-Self-Cleaning Gas Oven

1. How often should I clean my oven?

It is recommended to clean your oven at least once every 3-6 months, depending on how often you use it. Regular cleaning can help prevent buildup and maintain the efficiency of your oven.

2. What are some natural oven cleaning solutions?

Vinegar and baking soda are popular natural cleaning solutions for ovens. You can also mix lemon juice and water or use a paste of water and cream of tartar to effectively remove grease and grime.

3. Can I use harsh chemicals to clean my oven?

We do not recommend using harsh chemicals such as oven cleaners or bleach to clean your oven. These can leave harmful residues and fumes, and may damage the interior of your oven.

4. How can I prevent spills and buildup in my oven?

Using baking sheets and aluminum foil can help prevent spills and buildup in your oven. You can also place a baking dish filled with water on the bottom rack while cooking to catch any drips or spills.

5. Are there any specific tools or products I should use for oven cleaning?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of tools and products specifically designed for oven cleaning, such as our Oven & Grill Cleaner and Non-Stick Oven Liner. These can help make the cleaning process easier and more effective.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• winklermom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
otisbg
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Dotty