• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is it Safe to Put Pampered Chef Stoneware in a Self-Cleaning Oven?

In summary, this woman was bragging that her stones were "black, and smooth as...you know". Her other friends felt bad for her and decided to play the "Cheerleader and Cop" game with her. One friend became the Cheerleader and cheered every time someone said something positive, while the Cop shot her with the gun every time someone said something negative.
HeatherB
I am a new consultant but using PC for years. I had a customer told me my stoneware was dirty and she puts hers in a self cleaning oven. I did not know what to say back to her but thank goodness other chimed in and said they were not dirty....sigh.

So anyone ever heard of this?
Thanks in advance

If she puts her stone in her self-cleaning oven and turns it on to "cleaning" and it breaks, it is not under warranty...same as if someone puts in the dishwasher. You can smile sweetly at someone who says that and say, "There's a rhyme from Corporate we like to say... 'The worse it looks, the better it cooks' and LAUGH! Good thing the other ladies chimed in to back you up. Sounds like one of those "clean freaks" who can't stand hers to show it's been used!

her response was "WELL I have been doing it for years". She was total crab. Everything she had she hated or had a complaint about. The several other girls felt so bad they actually apologized for her.
They all knew it was only my third show.

That's when you need to play the "Cheerleader and Cop" game. I pick out one lady to be the Cheerleader and give her a "clapper" or something. I tell her every time someone says something positive/exciting, she "cheers". I pick out one lady to be the Cop. I have a got "space gun" I got at the Dollar Tree that makes crazy sounds. I tell her every time someone says something negative, she gets to shoot them with the gun. I bet the lady would have shut up quickly by at the most the 3rd or 4th shot! LOL!

OMG that is soooo hilarious!! Cant I shoot them myself??

pcchefjane said:
That's when you need to play the "Cheerleader and Cop" game. I pick out one lady to be the Cheerleader and give her a "clapper" or something. I tell her every time someone says something positive/exciting, she "cheers". I pick out one lady to be the Cop. I have a got "space gun" I got at the Dollar Tree that makes crazy sounds. I tell her every time someone says something negative, she gets to shoot them with the gun. I bet the lady would have shut up quickly by at the most the 3rd or 4th shot! LOL!

OH MY GOD!!! This is HILLARIOUS!!! I am SOOOOO getting a toy sapper gun! I can't stop laughing!

Look what I found.
http://repspace.com/wikis/home_party_companies/pampered-chef-stoneware.aspx"Washing Pampered Chef stoneware needs little more than a sponge, and some warm water. In fact, it is advised that you do not use anything soapy on the stoneware. The pieces are apt to turn black after a great deal of use however, and one consultant mistakenly left her pizza stones in the oven while she was cleaning it. Thinking they would have been destroyed in the process, she was surprised to discover that not only were they in one piece at the end of the cycle, but they were spotless and looked brand new."

HeatherB said:
Look what I found.
http://repspace.com/wikis/home_party_companies/pampered-chef-stoneware.aspx

"Washing Pampered Chef stoneware needs little more than a sponge, and some warm water. In fact, it is advised that you do not use anything soapy on the stoneware. The pieces are apt to turn black after a great deal of use however, and one consultant mistakenly left her pizza stones in the oven while she was cleaning it. Thinking they would have been destroyed in the process, she was surprised to discover that not only were they in one piece at the end of the cycle, but they were spotless and looked brand new."

Until they break!:p

I have met several people at shows who do this and have all had good results. However, I do not recommend it.

I had never heard of this until this month - at our cluster meeting our director told us to tell people that can't stand the "dirty" look to do this.

If they would read the instructions that came with their stove they would find that you are not even supposed to leave the shelves in when using the self-cleaning feature.

The temperature that it gets is way too high for the stones. Those that do this without breakage are just lucky.

...and the whole idea of stoneware is SEASONING. This gets rid of any seasoning and defeats the purpose of having a stone in the first place. :rolleyes:

One of my customer has done it for years. Always been lucky...

I heard about this a short while ago too, altho i would never risk it. It's funny though that a clean freak friend of mine was bragging that her stones are so old/seasoned they are "black, and smooth as glass"

That went around back when my SIL was a consultant. In fact she did it once or twice with hers...however, if they survive, it weakens the stones and you lose the non-stick surface and start all over seasoning them. It is not recommended by PC and voids the warranty if shared that is what was done. I know, I asked when I started. It's amazing how "wives tales" get passed along...There are quite a few PC ones and good luck telling customers otherwise because they "heard it from their consultant".It should make you be aware that people do listen to what you say so don't tell them anything not verified by HO.

I just had someone ask me about this. She accidently left her stone (non-PC) in the oven when she cleaned it - and she said it turned BLACK and seemed really DRY.

Yes, I know it isn't our stone, but is the stone safe to use?

I suggested she bake a "sheet" of crescent rolls on it. Any other ideas?

You'll notice that the part of the stone that gets the darkest is the part that's exposed to the heat with no food on it. I know consultants with Large Round Stones that are used almost exclusively for rings/wreaths, and the stone has a ring of lighter beige where the ring usually is. Because the entire stone was exposed to the very high heat of the self-clean cycle, that's why it turned dark all over. Other stones may be fired during manufacturing to lower temperatures than ours. That makes them more likely to develop small cracks in the self-clean cycle than ours are. I wouldn't use it any more, but I can be a worry wart.

chefann said:
You'll notice that the part of the stone that gets the darkest is the part that's exposed to the heat with no food on it. I know consultants with Large Round Stones that are used almost exclusively for rings/wreaths, and the stone has a ring of lighter beige where the ring usually is. Because the entire stone was exposed to the very high heat of the self-clean cycle, that's why it turned dark all over.

Other stones may be fired during manufacturing to lower temperatures than ours. That makes them more likely to develop small cracks in the self-clean cycle than ours are. I wouldn't use it any more, but I can be a worry wart.

Thanks for the info. Other than the danger of it breaking during use - if she is willing to run the risk - she could still use the stone??

She is determined to try to save this stone - so I am thinking she will just keep using it until it breaks.

Like Ann said, it's possible that it would have cracks, but there wouldn't be anything unsafe about food cooked on it. Well, that is unless the stone breaks while in use.

raebates said:
Like Ann said, it's possible that it would have cracks, but there wouldn't be anything unsafe about food cooked on it. Well, that is unless the stone breaks while in use.

Thanks! I'll let her know.

Also, warn them it is a FIRE hazard. When the oven is on self cleaning it locks the door. The grease can catch fire and ignite the walls or rest of the kitchen.

Teresa Lynn said:
Also, warn them it is a FIRE hazard. When the oven is on self cleaning it locks the door. The grease can catch fire and ignite the walls or rest of the kitchen.

She did this completely by accident. In fact, she said it was smoking so much she had to stop the oven cleaning after 40 minutes!

What is a stone in a self-cleaning oven?

A stone in a self-cleaning oven is a baking stone made of natural clay or ceramic material that is used to evenly distribute heat and absorb excess moisture while baking.

Can I use a stone in my self-cleaning oven?

Yes, you can use a baking stone in a self-cleaning oven. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions to make sure it is safe to use with your specific oven model.

Do I need to preheat the stone before using it in a self-cleaning oven?

Yes, it is recommended to preheat the baking stone before placing it in a self-cleaning oven. This will ensure that the stone is evenly heated and will prevent any potential cracking or damage.

How do I clean a stone in a self-cleaning oven?

To clean a baking stone in a self-cleaning oven, simply remove any food debris from the surface of the stone and place it in the oven during a self-cleaning cycle. Once the cycle is complete and the oven has cooled down, you can remove the stone and wipe away any remaining ash or residue.

Can I use soap or detergent to clean a stone in a self-cleaning oven?

No, it is not recommended to use soap or detergent to clean a baking stone in a self-cleaning oven. These products can be absorbed by the porous surface of the stone and affect the taste of your baked goods. It is best to stick to using water and a gentle scrubbing brush to clean the stone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ericadboone
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pamperedberry
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • its_me_susan