• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Stoneware Be Used After a House Fire?

She said that's what she had to doIn summary, the conversation discusses the safety of using a piece of stoneware that has been exposed to smoke from a house fire. The person asking the question is wondering if there are any recommendations for using the stoneware after the fire and if it can be put through a self-cleaning oven cycle. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the stoneware being covered by homeowner's insurance for replacement. Some individuals suggest contacting the stoneware company for advice and caution against putting it through a self-cleaning oven cycle. One person shares their experience with a kitchen fire and how their insurance company replaced their stoneware due to potential toxins from the fire.
jillchef
Is a piece of stoneware okay to use after it has been in a house fire? Can the stone trap toxins from the smoke? Although the stone was not chared, and is its original box, I’m wondering if there is a way to still use it, the exposure was to smoke only. So I guess what I’m asking is if there are any recomondations about using the stone after a fire, ie could be put it through the self-cleaning oven and feel confident it was safe to use. Thanks for any input.

I would suggest calling HO and asking that question. You'd get the best "qualified" answer. I am a firefighter and can make assumptions, but couldn't guarantee they'd be correct.

Also, the stoneware should be covered by the homeowner's policy (hopefully) for replacement.

Let us know what you find out.

I would NOT put it through a self cleaning oven cycle! I have heard of people doing that and it was OK, but it can shatter too! It is NOT covered under warranty if it is put into the cleaning cycle.

I would hope that their homeowners would replace it if necessary!

We had a kitchen fire last summer. The damage was extensive enough that we ended up making a claim so I got all new stoneware, I did not want to take the chance with the toxins. The company that the insurance company hired to come and clean threw out all food, even canned, all plastics and paper as well. This included all cleaning supplies that were in the cabinets because of the plastic.

The insurance company will have to replace them HO won't. I had a customer who had her 2nd house fire and mind you she was a past consultant so she had every single one of them.

What is stoneware?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic material that is made from clay fired at a high temperature, typically above 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. This process makes the clay very durable and able to withstand high heat, making it ideal for cooking and baking.

Can stoneware be used in the oven?

Yes, stoneware is great for use in the oven. It can withstand high temperatures and evenly distributes heat, making it perfect for baking breads, casseroles, and other dishes.

Is stoneware safe to use in the microwave?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the microwave. However, it is important to note that stoneware can get very hot, so be sure to use oven mitts or a towel when handling it.

How do I clean my stoneware?

Stoneware is very easy to clean. Simply wash it with warm, soapy water and rinse well. You can also use a nylon scraper for any stubborn food particles. Avoid using harsh cleaners or scouring pads, as they can damage the surface of the stoneware.

Can stoneware be used on the stovetop?

No, stoneware is not recommended for use on the stovetop. It is not designed to withstand direct heat from burners and can crack or break if exposed to high temperatures on the stovetop.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bearydutch
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • missymssy