• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bar pan or rectangular baker for baking a cake for trifle?

In summary, when baking a cake for a trifle, you can cook it in the bar pan or the rectangular baker. You can line it with parchment paper to lift it out after it's done baking. If it should be made in the bar pan, what should the cooking time be?
babywings76
Gold Member
When you are baking a cake to have for your trifle, do you cook it in the bar pan or the rectangular baker? Do you line it with parchment paper to lift it out after it's done baking? If it should be made in the bar pan, what should the cooking time be?

I usually bake a cake regularly in the square stoneware pan. I've never had any problems with it coming out of the pan. Then it's uniform to cut into pieces.

Darn, I don't have the square pan yet. :)

Last time I used a regular box (NOT Jiffy size) in the Large Bar Pan. I decreased the time a little from the 13x9 directions and made sure to check it often.

It makes probably twice as much as you'll need, but use half the cake for the trifle and freeze the remaining for the next trifle.

I use my LBP for them. No parchment paper...but I DO spray it with Baker's Joy (NOT Pam!!) just to assure me it will come out without sticking.

325 for 20-25 minutes. I use probably 2/3 of the cake for a trifle. We suffer and eat the rest of the cake plain!! lol

Anytime I am making a cake for a trifle, I doctor the mix up a bit for more of a "poundcake" texture. Add one small box of instant pudding (just the powder, use a corresponding flavor) and add one more egg than what's called for on the box. Other than that, follow the amount of water and oil from the box.

I'll try it in the bar pan and let you know how it turns out. I think I'll try using the parchment paper, too and see if that helps get it out easily. Thanks for your help! :)

KellyTheChef said:
I use my LBP for them. No parchment paper...but I DO spray it with Baker's Joy (NOT Pam!!) just to assure me it will come out without sticking.

325 for 20-25 minutes. I use probably 2/3 of the cake for a trifle. We suffer and eat the rest of the cake plain!! lol

Anytime I am making a cake for a trifle, I doctor the mix up a bit for more of a "poundcake" texture. Add one small box of instant pudding (just the powder, use a corresponding flavor) and add one more egg than what's called for on the box. Other than that, follow the amount of water and oil from the box.

Oh, thanks for posting this...good tip about the Baker's Joy. I'll try that instead of the parchment. Good idea about the addition of pudding mix to the cake. I'll try that too. You guys are so awesome! I love all the help you provide! :)

KellyTheChef said:

Oh NO Kelly! I put in the extra egg, and then when I was about to put in the pudding mix, I realized it was a cook n serve style. Will that work, do you think?

Thanks for the tips, Kelly! I usually make a brownie trifle and was wondering about using cake instead...I'm thinking the egg and pudding makes the cake more dense?

babywings76 said:
I was about to put in the pudding mix, I realized it was a cook n serve style. Will that work, do you think?
Cook and Serve pudding probably won't work. It's different chemically from the instant - different starches. But I dare you to try it. ;)

I just ran next door to my friend's house and borrowed a box of instant pudding from her. :) Didn't want to take my chances of it not coming out right.ETA--Yeah, Ann, I double-dog-dare you! J/K ;)

Great idea to add an extra egg and pudding! I've created a full mix into the rectangular stone, lined with parchment (as the trifle recipe called for kahlua to soak in it for 2 hours I wanted to get every last drop out!) All the cake isn't used, but it is fabulous as left-overs! It was a Paula Deen recipe. Yummy. I'll try the Baker's Joy.

Okay, it's out of the oven. Now, should I let it cool and stay in the bar pan, or cool and then flip it out onto a cooling rack?

anyone? I've never heard from people about flipping them out to cool all the way, is that what I should do?

You can flip it out - that keeps condensation from making the bottom soggy. But if you're putting it into a trifle, it's going to get moist from filling, anyway.

Thanks! It flipped out so easily! I guess that Baker's Joy really did do the trick! :)

My bar pan is super nonstick - I make bacon in it all the time! I don't have any problems getting things out of it. (Of course, I'll cry when it breaks...)

twopamperedchefs said:
Thanks for the tips, Kelly! I usually make a brownie trifle and was wondering about using cake instead...I'm thinking the egg and pudding makes the cake more dense?

Yes...and more moist too!

I actually do this ANYTIME I am making a cake, just cuz I like my cakes more dense and moist rather than light and "spongy".

It turned out wonderful (I snitched a couple of the left over peices), thank you Kelly for the suggestions. Now, after we eat the trifle I'll let you know how this recipe is. :)

1. How do I bake the cake for a trifle?

To bake the cake for a trifle, start by preparing your cake batter according to the recipe or package instructions. Then, pour the batter into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake the cake according to the recommended time and temperature. Once the cake is fully baked, let it cool completely before using it in your trifle.

2. Can I use any type of cake for a trifle?

Yes, you can use any type of cake for a trifle. Some popular options include vanilla, chocolate, and pound cake. However, you can also get creative and use flavors like lemon, red velvet, or even carrot cake for a unique twist on your trifle.

3. How do I cut the cake for a trifle?

The best way to cut the cake for a trifle is to use a serrated knife. Start by cutting the cake into even slices, about 1 inch thick. Then, cut each slice into cubes. This will make it easier to layer the cake in your trifle dish.

4. How many layers of cake should I have in my trifle?

The number of cake layers in a trifle can vary depending on the size of your dish and the amount of other ingredients you are using. However, a general rule of thumb is to have 2-3 layers of cake in your trifle. Make sure to evenly distribute the cake cubes for each layer.

5. Can I make the cake for a trifle in advance?

Yes, you can make the cake for a trifle in advance. Once the cake has cooled, you can wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. This will help the cake maintain its moisture and make it easier to cut and layer in your trifle.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
LeanneB.
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenniferknapp
  • kam