• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

Thanks! Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) )I can send you the instructions for them if you want.
I love the Castle cake decorating set!! I'm still deciding what I'm gonna do for my DD 2nd birthday. She hasn't really become attached to any certain character yet. I may just have to pick something.

dianevill said:
I made the previously mentioned frog cupcakes today for my DS to take to school for his 5th birthday. Instead of using black frosting for the eyes, I used Junior Mints. The hard part was getting the green sugar on the marshmallows, but they turned out pretty well. The kids didn't care - they were just happy to get more sugar:D .

Michaels5thbirthdaycupcakes.jpg
Diane, Those are adorable! Were they real time consuming? I have been looking for an occasioon to make them too. Ds is in Kindergarten and teacher has her room decorated in a frog theme. They do a special thing each week for whatever letter they are learning. I told her to let me know when they get to 'f' b/c I am going to make them. Good tip @ the junior mints too.

You guys are so lucky... We can not bring any "home made" food to school for the kids to eat. It must be purchased comercially. Lucky for me my BF mom does all the cakes for the bakery so it still feels a bit special.

etteluap70PC said:
You guys are so lucky... We can not bring any "home made" food to school for the kids to eat. It must be purchased comercially. Lucky for me my BF mom does all the cakes for the bakery so it still feels a bit special.
Isn't the world we live in NUTS sometimes? And you know they have that rule cuz some idiot did something bad to food they brought in! Or some lunatic parent freaked out over the POSSIBILITY of that...

UGH!

What great cakes! I made a Ladybug cake for my little one a couple of years ago. I'll have to find the pics.

pamperedlinda said:
Diane, Those are adorable! Were they real time consuming? I have been looking for an occasioon to make them too. Ds is in Kindergarten and teacher has her room decorated in a frog theme. They do a special thing each week for whatever letter they are learning. I told her to let me know when they get to 'f' b/c I am going to make them. Good tip @ the junior mints too.

They weren't too bad; the worse was cutting, wetting and sugaring the marshmallows. I'd make them again, though. Michael was so proud when he brought them in (he helped me dip the tops of the cupcakes in the green sugar and put the Junior Mints on). For my daughter I might tackle ladybug cupcakes.

Last edited:
dannyzmom said:
Diane - I am not sure which is cuter - the frogs or the happy boy!!!

Thank you:D

PS - thank you to the Cheffer that reduced my picture size. ChefAnn showed me how to get the picture in the post, but I forgot to ask how to reduce it!

sponge bobsponge bob for my son's b-day

sponge bob himself is completley frosting !!

Attachments

• sb 1.jpg
    sb 1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 415
  • sb4.jpg
    sb4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 410
  • sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 336
jrstephens said:
Carolyn, thos are fantastic!!!

I felt guilty when I used Wilton for my son's Clifford cake to, but the EAD tips are too big to me.

I WANT that three star tip too!!!!

I agree, the EAD tips are too big for regular cake decorating. I wish they
would come out with additional tips that are smaller. I would LOVE to
use it for decorating cakes! It would be soooooooo much faster & easier!!

Carissidy said:
Nice job Carolyn! Maybe I'll give that a shot for my Uncle Joey's birthday, he loves football! :)

You could make 2 cakes in batter bowls & put them together & make a 3-D football.

We're not allowed to bring in homemade in the public schools because of Hepatitus. I still bring in homemade, because they are so much cheaper and taste so much better. My cupcakes look so professional no one's going to notice. If someone says something, I do have a food handler's licence because we used to own a computer internet cafe. For my four year old's b-day a few weeks ago, I made Icecream cone cupcakes. With the easy accent decorator, the frosting looked just like vanilla icecream. We topped it with sprinkles.

cakesOk, these are a few of my cakes from the last few years. I got to experiment with royal icing and marshmellow fondant. I know I post some of them in another thread, but I just figured out how to show the picture in the message - Thanks Ann!!

dadscamera052.jpg

Bridal Shower - Like the bride's dress
DSC_1562.jpg

DSC_1560.jpg

Dinosaur
DSC_2631.jpg

DSC_2635.jpg

My Little Pony - Fondant
DSC_6019.jpg

DSC_6005.jpg

Baby Shower - Blocks
DSC_8030.jpg

DSC_8027.jpg

Zathura Birthday - Royal Icing
DSC_9308s.jpg

DSC_9309.jpg

Kitty Birthday
PB120027.jpg

dadscamera052.jpg

Father's Day
DSC_0618.jpg

amazing!
you're so talented!

It's probably the easiest of the cakes (they are all amazing!) but I just LOVE that Shirt & Tie Cake!:thumbup:

chefann said:
In that case, I'd mix the 2 - Christmas Red and no-taste red. Then you'll get the bright color with only some funny taste. :)

I use the Christmas red, and then add a drop of concentrated vanilla flavouring to offset the weirdness of the red by itself. Works quite well. (It's the highly concentrated stuff I use to flavour my chocolates and candies as well, where one drop will be enough to do 3 pounds of chocolate!!)

You guys are all such awesome mom's :) I want to be like you all when I grow up...Someday :) I am 25 and can't imagine having kids...Yet...

ughubug said:
You guys are all such awesome mom's :) I want to be like you all when I grow up...Someday :) I am 25 and can't imagine having kids...Yet...

I'm 28 and pregnant with #5!!! My oldest will be 7 in two months.

karaboo2 said:

CRAZINESS!!! PURE CRAZINESS :)

I enjoy sleeping in and having my own needs and schedule to tend to for the time being :rolleyes:

Wow, I can't even imagine myself making a cake like any of these...

If you lived closer, I'd HIRE you to bake my sons their birthday cakes! We just go to Costco to buy sheet cakes...:blushing:

Cute photo's of the cake Carolyn!!

cat said:
Wow, I can't even imagine myself making a cake like any of these...

If you lived closer, I'd HIRE you to bake my sons their birthday cakes! We just go to Costco to buy sheet cakes...:blushing:

My mom always made great decorated cakes when I was growing up. I guess I inherited it. What's funny is my mom (in Wisconsin) started doing it and after a few years, found out her twin sister in Florida was also decorating cakes. They talk all the time, but it had never come up.

Y'all are so making me want to make cakes! LOL!! My kids love to decorate their own so we usually do the mini fluted cakes. My youngest DD saw the princess cake pan and now she wants a cake like that! LOL!!!!
I guess we will see.............

chefann said:
Carolyn, do you have the multi-star tip? Wilton has a top that makes 3 stars clustered, specifically for this technique. Looks like you need that one. :)

Multi-Opening Decorating Tips - Wilton

Those look great, BTW!

Hey Ann - thanks to you telling me that it exists...guess whT I got for Christmas!?!??

karaboo2 said:

I applaud you :sing: or sing to you....

I'm 29 and have a 17 month old. I think she has done me in for life. Couldn't even fathom having 5 children. I feel people are only given what they can handle, so you're obviously a very strong woman. :angel:

dannyzmom said:
Hey Ann - thanks to you telling me that it exists...guess whT I got for Christmas!?!??
Is that an extra large tip or the same size as the small tips?

dannyzmom said:
That's great! Are you bringing cake to the next CS meet n greet?

pamperedlinda said:
Is that an extra large tip or the same size as the small tips?

It's XL - it requires a larger coupler.

chefann said:
That's great! Are you bringing cake to the next Chef Success meet n greet?

Sure! Do you prefer Teletubbies or Partysaurus? ;)

dannyzmom said:
It's XL - it requires a larger coupler.
Thanks, I'll have to look through my stuff. I know I have a large coupler, not sure what else (got all my cake stuff when step-mom died and don't know what some of it is)

chefann said:
That's great! Are you bringing cake to the next Chef Success meet n greet?
Are you in our wave (#3) this year Carolyn? That would be great!

pamperedlinda said:
Are you in our wave (#3) this year Carolyn? That would be great!

No, I am in Wave 1 this year...sorry :(

dannyzmom said:
No, I am in Wave 1 this year...sorry :(

Don't you remember Linda? All the cool people are in Wave #1. ;)

janetupnorth said:
Don't you remember Linda? All the cool people are in Wave #1. ;)

Aw shucks! You think I'm cool?! :blushing:

DS is having his birthday party today. He finally decided on a car theme instaed of spiderman (thank goodness b/c I did not want to do a spidey cake!). Here's the cake I made. I got the idea from the coolest birthday cakes website. I also didn't want to work with black icing so I used chocolate fudge icing for the 'road' and I cut-up licorice twists for the black & white checkered sides.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/009.jpg

Linda, that is awesome. My 5 year old is sitting here next to me and saw it, too. He wants one for his birthday. Are you willing to come to WI in September?:D

That is awesome Linda! I hope your DS has a great birthday! :) :)

dianevill said:
Linda, that is awesome. My 5 year old is sitting here next to me and saw it, too. He wants one for his birthday. Are you willing to come to WI in September?:D
This one was super easy.

Here's the website - there are so many great cakes out there. I could never think of these myself, but I can copy most anything!

Coolest Homemade Birthday Cakes - Thousands of Photos and Tips

I think our own Jennifer Stevens has a cake out there too (Clifford Cake if I remember correctly)

I'm with you Linda, I can copy almost anything. Do you watch the show "Ace of Cakes"? I think it's on the Learning Channel. They make some really great cakes, except they use fondant on everything.

Also, has anyone else tried posting a cake to that web site? My computer's security system tells me it's a bad idea. I can't remember the exact warning, but it didn't look good.

GREAT CAKES!!!

Luke's birthday is in July. I am thinking fire truck or dinasour theme for the moment. If we do fire truck I want to do a dalmation cake.

And Linda, you are correct that I have a Clifford cake on that website! I am so proud of myself!

Nice job on the race track cake!!

Here is a picture of the Dalmation cake I made last year for my niece that turned 8. I used the large batter bowl for the bottom of the dog. I was not a consultant yet, so I did not have the prep bowls. I used a small pyrex measuring cup.

Spring2007282.jpg
[/IMG]

I have also made a Pooly Pocket beach/water scene for my daughter as well as a guitar cake and construction cake for my son. It is fun to make them.

fikibiff said:
...... Do you watch the show "Ace of Cakes"? I think it's on the Learning Channel. They make some really great cakes, except they use fondant on everything......
Love that show - I don't think I can copy their stuff though (btw, it's the Food Network)

jrstephens said:
.....you are correct that I have a Clifford cake on that website! I am so proud of myself!
I looked last night to be sure - I voted for you too!

Keri-Lyn, Cute cake......but what did you use for the 'dog food' - it looks way too real!

That's a cool cake Keri-Lyn...love the dog dish. :)

Thanks!

Cocoa Puffs cereal:D

Here's the Baby Onesie cake I made for the baby shower this afternoon. I didn't have the patience to deal with fondant (I did make it though and it tastes really good - thanks so much for the recipe Kelly!) so I used this new Vanilla Marshmallow Buttercream icing recipe I found. I never did find the little airplanes that I wanted to add to it and the icing ones I made were not so good.....to say the least :grumpy: - so I opted to leave them off. I hope that mommy to be likes it and I also hope my snobby-biatch-better-than-everyone-neighbor doesn't have anything bad to say either!

I found this delicious orange cake recipe too - yummy! Orange Sheet Cake - Orange Cake with Orange Marmalade and Juice (I made it in a 9x13 pan)

Vanilla Marshmallow Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup Butter (real butter)
1/2 cup Crisco Shortening
1 jar Marshmallow Fluff
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract (use clear if you have it)
2 Tablespoons milk
2 pound bag of Powdered Sugar

Mix the butter, crisco and fluff. Add the extract and milk. Beat in the powdered sugar - if it's too stiff add a little more milk.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/babyonesiecake.jpg

pamperedlinda said:
Here's the Baby Onesie cake I made for the baby shower this afternoon. I didn't have the patience to deal with fondant (I did make it though and it tastes really good - thanks so much for the recipe Kelly!) so I used this new Vanilla Marshmallow Buttercream icing recipe I found. I never did find the little airplanes that I wanted to add to it and the icing ones I made were not so good.....to say the least :grumpy: - so I opted to leave them off. I hope that mommy to be likes it and I also hope my snobby-biatch-better-than-everyone-neighbor doesn't have anything bad to say either!

I found this delicious orange cake recipe too - yummy! Orange Sheet Cake - Orange Cake with Orange Marmalade and Juice (I made it in a 9x13 pan)

Vanilla Marshmallow Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup Butter (real butter)
1/2 cup Crisco Shortening
1 jar Marshmallow Fluff
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract (use clear if you have it)
2 Tablespoons milk
2 pound bag of Powdered Sugar

Mix the butter, crisco and fluff. Add the extract and milk. Beat in the powdered sugar - if it's too stiff add a little more milk.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/babyonesiecake.jpg

OMG Linda it's amazing!! And tell your snobby-biatch-better-than-everyone-neighbor that you'd be happy to provide her with a dirty-diaper cake (a VERY authentic one) if she doesn't keep her big trap shut!!!
XOXOXO

<h2>1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?</h2><p>One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?</h2><p>Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!</p><h2>3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?</h2><p>You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.</p><h2>4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?</h2><p>One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.</p><h2>5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?</h2><p>Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!</p>

Related to Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?

One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.

2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?

Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!

3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?

You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.

4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?

One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.

5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?

Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies