• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Advice Needed: Birthday Dilemma with Grandfather's Gift for DS

First of all, I applaud you for including your Grandfather! There are many people out there who can't or won't allow the ex or their family to remain in their lives for the sake of the children. ;)I think if you have a good relationship with your ex-FIL, you should ask him to just get more accessories rather than a 2nd system. Problem solved. :D
pamperedpals
Gold Member
My DS will be having his b-day party this Saturday and his grandfather (my ex's father) will be there. I invited him and his girlfriend because they do not get to see DS that often and they live real close to me.

So here is my dilema: Grandpa is going to get DS a Wii for his birthday. We already have one at home, so my question is should I give DS a choice of having it in his room or taking it to his dad's? Or should I have him just take it to his dad's because he got it from his grandfather? I figured since my ex wasn't gracious enough to invite his own father to his son's birthday (I know his mom was at his place on DS birthday) I would allow DS a choice on what he wants to do with his birthday present.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you allow game systems in the bedrooms, I would give him the choice. Outright saying "take it to your Dad's" could be misconstrued as "I don't want anything from your Grandfather in my house," which is obviously not what you mean.

pampchefsarah said:
If you allow game systems in the bedrooms, I would give him the choice. Outright saying "take it to your Dad's" could be misconstrued as "I don't want anything from your Grandfather in my house," which is obviously not what you mean.

Thanks Sarah. He has an original XBox in his room right now. You are correct I don't want him to think he can't have anything from his Grandfather at our home.

As a Grandma, to fifteen, I have to put my two cents in. Wi's that our grands have, are not cheap gifts. It would be better for you to level with the Grandpa, and perhaps he could give additional games to go with what your son already has, or another item you know he wants in that price range.

My son's children have a Grandpa with "money to burn" and he gives toys that are way beyond our budget. I notice that our son's wife rotates the toys and the kids take care of what they are currently playing with, very well. On the other hand, I gave the kids a Paula Deen Kids Cookbook, and then in individual gift bags, the ingredients and Pampered Chef tools to make up two recipes each. I spent the day with them today, going to a pumpkin farm, and then back to their home to hame Hot Cocoa, and Chocolate dipped Pretzels Sticks, in the afternoon. Our temperatures were 38 degrees this morning, so the Hot Cocoa was perfect. They put on their Pampered Chef hats and aprons, and used the whisk, adjustable measuring cup, Measure-all cup and ladle. For the Pretzel recipe we used their Mix and Scraper and Classic Batter Bowl. They also made crescent rolls to go with lunch on their Mom's bar pan. That was such precious, quality time together. It happens once in a blue moon cause they are going to school or at day care most of the time.

Is there any chance the Grandpa could give him a fishing pole and some gear, and take him fishing?

First of all, I applaud you for including his Grandfather! There are many people out there who can't or won't allow the ex or their family to remain in their lives for the sake of the children. ;)I think if you have a good relationship with your ex-FIL, you should ask him to just get more accessories rather than a 2nd system. Problem solved. :DI'm assuming ex & ex-FIL are not on speaking terms? If so, I definitely wouldn't send ex-FIL's present to ex's house. If your ex is like most of the men I know & attracted to video games, would it be fair for ex to be playing with son's gift in his absence?

Grandmarita said:
As a Grandma, to fifteen, I have to put my two cents in. Wi's that our grands have, are not cheap gifts. It would be better for you to level with the Grandpa, and perhaps he could give additional games to go with what your son already has, or another item you know he wants in that price range.

My son's children have a Grandpa with "money to burn" and he gives toys that are way beyond our budget. I notice that our son's wife rotates the toys and the kids take care of what they are currently playing with, very well. On the other hand, I gave the kids a Paula Deen Kids Cookbook, and then in individual gift bags, the ingredients and Pampered Chef tools to make up two recipes each. I spent the day with them today, going to a pumpkin farm, and then back to their home to hame Hot Cocoa, and Chocolate dipped Pretzels Sticks, in the afternoon. Our temperatures were 38 degrees this morning, so the Hot Cocoa was perfect. They put on their Pampered Chef hats and aprons, and used the whisk, adjustable measuring cup, Measure-all cup and ladle. For the Pretzel recipe we used their Mix and Scraper and Classic Batter Bowl. They also made crescent rolls to go with lunch on their Mom's bar pan. That was such precious, quality time together. It happens once in a blue moon cause they are going to school or at day care most of the time.

Is there any chance the Grandpa could give him a fishing pole and some gear, and take him fishing?

Grandmarita = brilliant!!!!!!!!!

Grandmarita said:
As a Grandma, to fifteen, I have to put my two cents in. Wi's that our grands have, are not cheap gifts.
:eek:15?! Did you say 15 grandchildren?

Grandmarita it is my understanding from Grandpa's girlfriend that they intend for it to go to my ex's home when DS goes to his dad's. Grandpa was going to get him a DSi for his birthday to replace the one DS step-mom stole from him. We asked the girlfriend not to because we (DH and I) already got him one for Christmas. Well it was actually a gift from one of my DH's customer's. I have been trying to foster a better relationship between my DS and his Grandpa, as my DS indicates he doesn't get to see him much and he misses him. Grandpa is not an outdoor type of person and he is more into electronic's and such. I would love for DS to spend the day with him and just enjoy the time, because my understanding is that there are some health issues with Grandpa.

As far as I know my ex is speaking with his father, because he called my house when over at his father's for DS to talk to him.

Whatever you do to maintain a healthy relationship with his Dad & Grandpa is a good thing. I applaud you for realizing that a solid relationship for DS, ex & ex's family is important and shouldn't be diminished or viewed as negative. Time spent together whether indoors or out is time spent together.

What should I get my grandfather as a birthday gift for my son?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I recommend gifting something practical and useful, such as a kitchen tool or gadget. Our high-quality knives, cutting boards, or cooking utensils make great gifts for any home chef.

What if my grandfather is not into cooking or kitchen gadgets?

If your grandfather is not interested in cooking, you can still give him something from our range of non-cooking products. Our insulated food carriers or serving platters are perfect for family gatherings or picnics.

My son is only 10 years old, what would be an appropriate gift for him to give his grandfather?

For a 10-year-old, I suggest getting a fun and interactive cooking tool, such as our cookie cutters or ice cream scoop. These gifts will not only be useful for your grandfather but also provide a bonding experience between him and your son in the kitchen.

Should I personalize the gift for my grandfather?

Adding a personalized touch to the gift is always a thoughtful gesture. You can consider engraving your grandfather's name or a special message on the kitchen tool or gadget you choose to gift him. It will make the gift even more meaningful.

Is there a specific budget I should stick to for this gift?

At Pampered Chef, we have a range of products at various price points to fit every budget. You can choose a gift that fits your budget and still be confident that it is of high quality and will be appreciated by your grandfather.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
SLDOWDY1978
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef