• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making a Train Cake for First Birthday: Tips and Tricks for Using a Loaf Pan

Thanks, I was thinking I would probably have to split it!! I bought 4 cake mixes, I'm thinking I may not need all those now!! LOLShawna - why are you doing the cake in a loaf pan? Train cake maybe - just curious?
chefshawna
Gold Member
I am making a train cake for my DS's first birthday party tomorrow and am using a loaf pan. I have never made a cake in a loaf pan before and was wondering, do I use the whole cake mix in one pan or divide it between two? The pans are 9x5. Would the temp be the same and what about cooking time? Anyone know??

I would think it would be too much for one loaf but would probably make 2 smaller ones. temp should be the same, time is probably same or longer depending on if you decided to go with 2 mixes or one.

I agree...split it between two loaf pans, keep the temp the same and check it at the "round cake pan" cooking time to see if it's done yet.

Thanks, I was thinking I would probably have to split it!! I bought 4 cake mixes, I'm thinking I may not need all those now!! LOL

Shawna - why are you doing the cake in a loaf pan? Train cake maybe - just curious??

ok - Duh - didn't read the whole post - Take pictures and be sure to share!!

PamperedDor said:
Shawna - why are you doing the cake in a loaf pan? Train cake maybe - just curious??

Yes, I am making a train cake for my DS's first birthday party tomorrow. I was going to just get Pound Cakes and then bake a sheet cake, but I could only find small pound cakes and those wouldn't work!

DUH.. Laverne..... :)

chefshawna said:
Yes, I am making a train cake for my DS's first birthday party tomorrow. I was going to just get Pound Cakes and then bake a sheet cake, but I could only find small pound cakes and those wouldn't work!

What a neat idea, trains with the loaf pans!! Take a picture and post please :)

I will definitely take many pictures!! I did a Barbie for DD's 3rd birthday in June and used the Batter Bowl and it turned out GREAT!!! I just need to upload the pictures here and share them!

merego said:
DUH.. Laverne..... :)

Alright Shirley - LOL!! Ya had me cracking up so hard - I couldn't read !! ;) Ha passing the blame to you!;) So Laverne of me!!

Great Idea Shawna - be sure to share pictures - I wish my little guy was still into trains!

chefshawna said:
I will definitely take many pictures!! I did a Barbie for DD's 3rd birthday in June and used the Batter Bowl and it turned out GREAT!!! I just need to upload the pictures here and share them!

Too bad you don't have the mini Loaf pan...this way you could have a BIG Engine car & the rest could be smaller ones....;)

What is the best way to level a cake?

The best way to level a cake is by using a long serrated knife. Gently saw off any excess cake from the top until it is level. Alternatively, you can use a cake leveler tool for more precise results.

How do I prevent my cake from sticking to the pan?

To prevent your cake from sticking to the pan, make sure to generously grease the pan with butter or cooking spray. You can also line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper for easy removal.

What can I use to substitute for buttermilk in a cake recipe?

If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by mixing one cup of milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before using in your recipe.

How do I know when my cake is done baking?

The best way to determine if your cake is done baking is by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, with no batter or crumbs attached, then your cake is done. You can also gently press the top of the cake; if it springs back, it is ready.

How do I prevent my cake from sinking in the middle?

To prevent your cake from sinking in the middle, make sure not to overmix the batter and avoid opening the oven door too frequently while it is baking. Also, make sure to use the correct size pan and to bake at the recommended temperature and time in the recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefshawna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefshawna
  • HARRIS
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • paydaymom