• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

Thanks! Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) )I can send you the instructions for them if you want.
Thanks Carolyn! I heard that she probably won't be there. She's PO'd too many of the invitees....;)

I have made a football, purse, swimming pool and princess castle. I don't use any special pans and just kind of do them and I've never done the stars on them, I am going to try that next time. If I can figure out how I will download a picture of the castle, I don't have the others on the computer.

Oh, and all the other cakes you all have made are AMAZING!!!!!

Figure it out Shawna, we want to see pictures....so we can tell you how great they are and so we can steal your ideas!

chefshawna said:
I have made a football, purse, swimming pool and princess castle. I don't use any special pans and just kind of do them and I've never done the stars on them, I am going to try that next time. If I can figure out how I will download a picture of the castle, I don't have the others on the computer.
See The Photo Thread to see how to upload photos to CS.

IMG_2739-1.jpg

So here is my first try posting a picture. If it works, I'll post a couple more. I did this cake for my DD's 4th Birthday. So far she has always wanted bugs! (Butterfly, then Ladybird, then bee!). I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Edit - Now I need to figure out re-sizing before I post anymore... :)

PS I love the onesie cake. VERY cute!

Last edited:
IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

Here are a few more. I love birthday cakes! My littlest DD is 1 next Sunday, I am planning on trying fondant for the first time. We'll see how that turns out!

I'd love to see some more of everyone elses... :)

AnnieBee said:
IMG_2739.jpg

So here is my first try posting a picture. If it works, I'll post a couple more. I did this cake for my DD's 4th Birthday. So far she has always wanted bugs! (Butterfly, then Ladybird, then bee!). I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

Edit - Now I need to figure out re-sizing before I post anymore... :)

PS I love the onesie cake. VERY cute!

OMG lookit the wings!! What a cute way to do the wings! Is that white chocolate?

AnnieBee said:
IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

Here are a few more. I love birthday cakes! My littlest DD is 1 next Sunday, I am planning on trying fondant for the first time. We'll see how that turns out!

I'd love to see some more of everyone elses... :)

OMG ya'll are so talented! Did yo udo the dinosaur free-hand? And I love love love the butterfly!

Those are great! I love the bee and his/her wings are fantastic! I'm totally stealing that idea!

pamperedlinda said:
Those are great! I love the bee and his/her wings are fantastic! I'm totally stealing that idea!

You couldn't tell that it was a boy??!! :) Steal away!!

The wings were just white chocolate melted in a zip-lock baggie and then drizzled. The only problem was that they were pretty heavy, I had to prop them up with toothpicks, even though they were pushed in pretty far.

The butterfly was just two half circles with a notch cut in them. It was so easy, but pretty cute. I liked the mini-cupcakes for the body!

For the dinosaur, I googled "dinosaur outline" then printed out my favourite picture, cut it out, laid it on the cake and "drew" around it with a toothpick. I wanted to do a shaped cake, but I didn't have the time, although I could have just cut the dino out with a knife I suppose.

Glad y'all like them - stay tuned for DD's 1st birthday cake next Sunday!! :)

I'd love to see some more of everyone elses too! It's a great way to get some good ideas!!

AnnieBee said:
The butterfly was just two half circles with a notch cut in them. It was so easy, but pretty cute. I liked the mini-cupcakes for the body!
Here's some buterflies I did last year. Wish I had though to use the mini cupcakes for the body, they would have been cuter. (These are done like yours - instead of cutting in a notch you just slice the cake half @ 2/3 of the way down and seperate a bit.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/butterflycakes.jpg

Linda -

I LOVE your frosting! The colours are so pretty. I had a hard time getting a nice lilac/purple. I like how you frosted your swirls/curly-whirlies (as my DS would say!) on top of the stars - I hadn't thought of that. Very pretty :) How did you do your antenna? I'm getting tired of jelly candies on toothpicks!!

AnnieBee said:
Linda -

I LOVE your frosting! The colours are so pretty. I had a hard time getting a nice lilac/purple. I like how you frosted your swirls/curly-whirlies (as my DS would say!) on top of the stars - I hadn't thought of that. Very pretty :) How did you do your antenna? I'm getting tired of jelly candies on toothpicks!!
Thanks! I just love seeing everyone's cakes. For these, I was copying the butterfly colors and patterns from the napkins that my friend was using - these were for her daughter's birthday party. The antennas are pipe cleaners

I love the butterflies Linda....but I'm really drooling over the kitchen: I see granite, nice cabinetry, and wood flooring. Is the rest as beautiful as the picture indicates?
leggy

Thanks Leggy! I do have a great kitchen - it's my favorite room in the entire house! Here's a picture of part of it - this was posted earlier in this thread as an attachment - now I know how to insert as a picture! Here's my adorable DS too :)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/PB030003.jpg

Wow! Linda, NICE Kitchen. I am drooling, and VERY cute son too! I am now inspired to make freaking cute cakes too! I am doing a cupcake theme for my daughters first b-day in June. I bought the wilton cupcake pan, and I should actually practice. I am wondering if I should do starts to decorate the top. I know it is not necessary,but it looks so nice!

I've almost bought that pan a couple of times, but always seem to talk myself out of it. PLease post your pictures when you make it....then I'll for sure go out and buy it!

btw: big swirly stars and some sprinkles would look good on the top.....IMO :)

pamperedlinda said:
Here's the Baby Onesie cake I made for the baby shower this afternoon. I didn't have the patience to deal with fondant (I did make it though and it tastes really good - thanks so much for the recipe Kelly!) so I used this new Vanilla Marshmallow Buttercream icing recipe I found. I never did find the little airplanes that I wanted to add to it and the icing ones I made were not so good.....to say the least :grumpy: - so I opted to leave them off. I hope that mommy to be likes it and I also hope my snobby-biatch-better-than-everyone-neighbor doesn't have anything bad to say either!

I found this delicious orange cake recipe too - yummy! Orange Sheet Cake - Orange Cake with Orange Marmalade and Juice (I made it in a 9x13 pan)

Vanilla Marshmallow Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup Butter (real butter)
1/2 cup Crisco Shortening
1 jar Marshmallow Fluff
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract (use clear if you have it)
2 Tablespoons milk
2 pound bag of Powdered Sugar

Mix the butter, crisco and fluff. Add the extract and milk. Beat in the powdered sugar - if it's too stiff add a little more milk.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/babyonesiecake.jpg

Hey Linda, how did the icing taste? That sounds so good - I am looking for a different recipe to try. Also, is it the small jar of marshmallow fluff? BTW, the cake is so cute! I will have to steal this idea for my next baby shower cake. I am going to have to figure out how to post my pics too. I LOVE doing cakes!

CUTE cakes! Linda, love the onesie cake!
Love thee bee & butterflies too; you girls are so talented....I'll have to revisit this thread to get inspired for my dd's b-days.

Linda, Thank you so much for posting your race track cake! I loved it so much I printed it out and took it to my local small town bakery (my friends parents own it and her mom does the cakes) Anyhow I asked her to do the same thing for me. I could have done it but was just too busy this weekend.

Here is our version.....
Georgescake08.jpg

Here we are blowing out the candles (L-R Me, DS, DD)
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff101/PCmom2/Georgeparty08b.jpg

Thanks again! Everyone thought it was the cutest thing!

PS... LOVE the onesie cake!

Question on the Fluff for the icing recipe. Are you talking real "marshmallow Fluff" like to make a "fluffernutter" sandwich or just marshmallow creme? I can't get "Fluff" here in MN. but I gan get my Dad to send me some.... Come to think of it we are finally out from our last care package.... LOL

Last edited:
Those are amazing!!!

Linda...your onesie cake turned out ADORABLE!! Looks great on the SA, too!

I am interested in the marshmallow frosting you used, too. How did it taste? Looks like it would be SUPER!!

Paulette...the race car cake is too cute! If Evan sees it, he is gonna F*R*E*A*K out! He LOVES Cars! (The movie, and the cars themselves!!)

Linda - your kitchen does look beautiful! It's fun to see piccies of the kids too :) And that frog cake is sooooo cute (I did see the pics you posted earlier).

I'm curious as to how your MM Fondant turned out (I know you didn't use it for the onesie cake). I tried to make some yesterday, and it seems a bit dry... See below...

Kelly - I have a question about the MM Fondant for you too. I remember on the whatscookingamerica web-site seeing a part where she explains why NOT to use icing sugar that is made from beet sugar, only to use cane sugar. I have looked and looked, but cannot find that part now! Do you know what the difference is? My sugar doesn't say cane or beet, so I am assuming it is beet. I did try using it, as I really wanted to try the recipe, (without having to run to the store) and it was a bit dry and not very stretchy, but then got sticky when I added more water. I'm wondering if my problem is the sugar. Any thoughts on this?? TIA...

mpkegley said:
Hey Linda, how did the icing taste? That sounds so good - I am looking for a different recipe to try. Also, is it the small jar of marshmallow fluff? BTW, the cake is so cute! I will have to steal this idea for my next baby shower cake. I am going to have to figure out how to post my pics too. I LOVE doing cakes!
The icing is really good. Has a bit of a creamy taste to it. Go ahead and steal....I did!

etteluap70PC said:
.....Question on the Fluff for the icing recipe. Are you talking real "marshmallow Fluff" like to make a "fluffernutter" sandwich or just marshmallow creme? I can't get "Fluff" here in MN. but I gan get my Dad to send me some.... Come to think of it we are finally out from our last care package.... LOL
What's the difference? I've used both the Fluff Brand and the original brand - Kraft maybe? I don't have the jar any more and can't remember the brand. I usually find it near the ice cream toppings or on the baking isle or near the PB&J.

Paulette, I forgot to tell you - the cake is adorable! And so are your children!

AnnieBee said:
Linda - your kitchen does look beautiful! It's fun to see piccies of the kids too :) And that frog cake is sooooo cute (I did see the pics you posted earlier).

I'm curious as to how your MM Fondant turned out (I know you didn't use it for the onesie cake). I tried to make some yesterday, and it seems a bit dry... See below...

Kelly - I have a question about the MM Fondant for you too. I remember on the whatscookingamerica web-site seeing a part where she explains why NOT to use icing sugar that is made from beet sugar, only to use cane sugar. I have looked and looked, but cannot find that part now! Do you know what the difference is? My sugar doesn't say cane or beet, so I am assuming it is beet. I did try using it, as I really wanted to try the recipe, (without having to run to the store) and it was a bit dry and not very stretchy, but then got sticky when I added more water. I'm wondering if my problem is the sugar. Any thoughts on this?? TIA...

I had the same problems. Mine was really hard and I only added about 3/4 of the sugar that was called for.

You all have inspired me to take some Wilton classes. I was too late to sign up for March at Michael's so I'm going to go back in a few weeks to sign up for April.

I'm really excited! I've been wanting to take classes for a long time now. My mom took classes when we were young and always made us beautiful cakes for our birthdays and special occasions.

Now that my son is almost two, I want him to have cute cakes that Momma made for him! :D

rebeccastt said:
You all have inspired me to take some Wilton classes. I was too late to sign up for March at Michael's so I'm going to go back in a few weeks to sign up for April.

I'm really excited! I've been wanting to take classes for a long time now. My mom took classes when we were young and always made us beautiful cakes for our birthdays and special occasions.

Now that my son is almost two, I want him to have cute cakes that Momma made for him! :D

Oh I wish I was near somewhere that did that!!! I would have to go 90 miles one way to attend classes. I think that would be so much fun!

pamperedlinda said:
What's the difference? I've used both the Fluff Brand and the original brand - Kraft maybe? I don't have the jar any more and can't remember the brand. I usually find it near the ice cream toppings or on the baking isle or near the PB&J.

There is a difference... Fluff is the brand name of one and it is more like melted marshmallows. The creme is more well... creamy like a frosting.

It's one of those things like mayo vs. Miracle whip... my hubby says he does not know the difference but there is a HUGE difference. You need to taste side by side.

anyhow.... now that I seem like a complete nut...... I will say thanks for the compliments! and have a great day all!

mpkegley said:

Hey Linda - I can't see where you answered this question, if you did....so, is it the small jar or large jar???:confused:

etteluap70PC said:
There is a difference... Fluff is the brand name of one and it is more like melted marshmallows. The creme is more well... creamy like a frosting.

It's one of those things like mayo vs. Miracle whip... my hubby says he does not know the difference but there is a HUGE difference. You need to taste side by side.

anyhow.... now that I seem like a complete nut...... I will say thanks for the compliments! and have a great day all!
[shudder] Miracle Whip [/shudder]
puke.gif

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
puke.gif
LOL!

I actually like Miracle Whip, but I also like mayo too! Depends on my mood, and what I am making as to which one I choose!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
puke.gif

For years, I actually thought that I didn't like mayonnaise, because I was raised on MW....imagine my surprise, the first time I had mayonnaise!

I love:love: :love: :love: :love: mayonnaise.

AnnieBee said:

I havn't heard of that (about the different sugars) so I am not sure what to tell you. I am pretty sure that I used the WalMart brand powdered sugar...not sure what it's made from. I know that I had to add water in order to use the whole bag of sugar and in between it got very sticky, but then I just kept kneeding in the sugar/adding a bit of water when needed. When I was done, it was pretty firm, and not very strechy. Once rolled out pretty thin, though, (about 1/4 inch?) it was moldable and flexible.

When I made it, it was a few days before I needed to use it. I kept it wrapped (like the explain) and in the frig. Then, I took it out a few hours before I needed it and let it sit on the countertop. I may have even microwaved it for a few seconds at a time and kneeded it a little.

HTH

Thanks for your input Kelly! I have done pretty much the same as you so far - it is sitting in my fridge until I make the cake. My baby DD is one on Sunday. I wanted to try fondant for a change, I just hope this works out OK as it is my first time. I'm doing chocolate with pale pink polka dots!

I'll post a picture when it is done (assuming it isn't horrible!!)

Well, I hear her talking away through the monitor, so it is time to get her down from her nap, then an early lunch for all of us to get big DD to pre-school on time... My life is so predictable!! :)

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey Linda - I can't see where you answered this question, if you did....so, is it the small jar or large jar???:confused:
I guess it's the small jar - it was @ 12 ounces.

etteluap70PC said:

The ones I used were both really sticky and they seemed the same so I guess they were fluff. (one was definately called fluff)

ditto Linda and KG! Miracle whip = :yuck:

Mu grandmother and aunts always made a Jell-O salad ring (line flavor with shredded carrots in it was their favorite and the one I hated the most) served with Miracle Whip in a little dish in the middle. UGH!I never knew what a delight a turkey sandwich was until I had one with Hellman's Mayonnaise instead of Miracle Cra...er...Whip.

KG, You have to check out this link... Ah, the joy of cooking with jello. This will make you glad that all you had to face was jello and carrots!! (although with miracle whip - YUCK!

J.Noelle Cooks: Review | Vintage Cookbooks

D'you think these could be adapted for a show?! :)

One of the first things I did when I was on my own, was to make Jell-O that was just plain Jell-O.

No carrots.

No peaches.

No fruit roostertail.

No ring mold.

And...

NO MIRACLE WHIP!

Fruit roostertail?

What have I been missing out on? I can't even imagine what this is...

Growing up in England, we got the just the jello (or jelly as we call it). Except for if it was a birthday party, in which case jelly and ice-cream (vanilla or reaspberry ripple!)was a special dessert!! LOL!

Rooster = Male Chicken = A word we cannot use here, because the auto-censor turns it into **** so the recipe calls for fruit ****tail.It's discussed in The Hitchhiker's Guide to CS:
Hitchhiker's Guide said:
Profanity is frowned upon, well, generally. If you wouldn't say it in church, you probably shouldn't say it here. Which doesn't stop some of us, anyway. vBulletin will automatically censor certain text strings with asterisks. This can result in some rather humorous postings, for example, vBulletin will not allow the four letter string that means "male chicken." This results in common words having stars in them, like stopping after work in a ****tail lounge. So, you'll see postings with words like roostertail dress or "Proud as a pearooster." Some people will use the clinical name of a critical piece of the male anatomy in place of ****. (Some people consider this word usage in bad taste but that's the way it is here.) You'll figure it out soon enough. The automatic censor also results in creative spellings for common words, like the biblical beast of burden might be seen here as an a$s.

AnnieBee said:
KG, You have to check out this link... Ah, the joy of cooking with jello. This will make you glad that all you had to face was jello and carrots!! (although with miracle whip - YUCK!

J.Noelle Cooks: Review | Vintage Cookbooks

D'you think these could be adapted for a show?! :)

The pictures on that blog are too funny!

I like the comments on the bottom, especially the one who kept repeating "I just threw up in my mouth a bit." LOL and :yuck: :eek:

Duh - I had even seen that in other threads... Just wasn't thinking about that here :)

Here I am sitting, thinking "crazy americans" and trying to imagine someone making a roostertail out of fruit and jello, and wondering why anyone would want to... LOL!!

Does someone want to explain to my 4 year old why I am laughing so hard outloud (at myself :) )

Just tell him that today's laughter is brought to you by the letters "K" and "G", my 11 year old usually just asks me what KG posted now when he hears me laughing out loud at the computer! Linda

Oh-oh. Now I have a reputation to live up to.

<h2>1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?</h2><p>One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?</h2><p>Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!</p><h2>3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?</h2><p>You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.</p><h2>4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?</h2><p>One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.</p><h2>5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?</h2><p>Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!</p>

Related to Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?

One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.

2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?

Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!

3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?

You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.

4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?

One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.

5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?

Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies