• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Avoiding "No Shows": Strategies for Successful RSVPs

In summary, the new Super Starter had a question about RSVP's and the issue of "no shows." She was concerned that she may have to cancel a show if only one person showed up. She also suggested purchasing guest list forms through the supply order form. She offered an incentive if the guest list is turned in with 25-30 names within 1 week. Finally, she thanked us for taking the time to read her post.
Chef Mary Rose
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and about to enter my second month as a "Super Starter." I had a question about RSVP's and the issue of "no shows."

I just had a Mystery Host Party last night and after verbally checking with everyone invited, anticipated four attendees. This was a last-minute attempt to boost my September sales and I honestly was surprised by the genuine interest from those invited. (All work people and I work in a large facility.)

I have a few outside orders that are supposed to be coming in, but I'm going to need their money today if I'm to get it in before the month's end. (Yikes!)

Now - last night I had only one person show. Yep. One. We had a great time though since this gal is very young and very interested in cooking. The saving grace is that she may book a show of her own and has a father who loves to cook and may be interested in booking a show, too. I'm definitely going to follow up.

In the future, I'd like to avoid such a low turn-out. Has anyone made it very clear to the invitees that if they don't R.S.V.P., to not assume there will be a show and just show up? I'd seriously like to cancel a show like last night's if it's only one. I put much effort and work into the preparation and IMO, the time could have been better spent doing customer contact calls.

I'm considering putting something like this on the invites:

Please RSVP - The Show Can't Go On Without You!!
And Please Call Ahead To Confirm The Show Will Go On!

What do you think? :)

Sorry for the length. I've been lurking and have really enjoyed what I've seen so far. You guys are full of great ideas!

Mary Rose

Consider purchasing the guest list forms through the supply order form. Ask your hosts for their guest list and postage within so many days (around 1 week).

You could offer an incentive if you like something like an extra $15 in free product when they turn in their list with 25/30 names with in 1 week.

HTH

I always stress to hosts to invite at least 30-40 people so that they might get around 10 there. I then tell them to call people first & tell them that they'll be getting a reminder invitation in the mail. I also send out the invites & highlight the part about RSVP-ing. In 4 1/2 years I've only had one no-show! Also, host coach the best you can...the more excited the host is, the more she'll talk up the show & make others excited to come!

Since this was a Mystery Host show that you were having, it's tough. I think that we have all had situations like this. There are some that are highly successful and some that aren't.

A few years ago I had a Mystery Host show. It was to to showcase all the new fall products and menu ideas. One person came. I was soooo disappointed. Because I literally had invited over 200 people. And it was a lot of time and a lot of money on my part. My one guest, who was also my best friend, left with TONS of leftovers.

However, this past August, I hosted my own show because I was trying to boost my August sales, and I had about 10 people show up.

My only suggestion, keep at it. It will all come in time! There are times we hit a rut, or are in a slump and then there are times when you have more bookings than you have days to hold them! Read some of the other postings, I even have one where I was worried about having to quit.

Others are posting about their fantastic success.

We can't always measure our success in how much money we make - although that is an easier quanitifier.

There are times when I just measure my success by a new contact, new host, a new sales goal, or just the fact that I was able to make customer care calls!

Hang in there and keep up the good work. Invite, invite, invite and follow up with a personal phone call. In time it will all be GREAT!

Your ideas to put on the RSVP sound like a good idea! I may have to borrow them from you!! ;)

Good luck and Welcome to the PC family! ;) (Sorry for the long reply)
Jaye

Mary,

I'm sorry your show turned out that way. I think we all could share a horror story. Keep us posted on how the bookings turn out, though. It could actually be a start of growing your business. When I started out, I had a friend who told me she would do a "small" party for me if that was okay with me. I decided to do it b/c I was just starting out. She only had four people there. It was a $500 show. I got four bookings from it which three of them turned out to be $1,000 shows. I am now on my third tier of shows. I just had a $2,000 show earlier this month.

good luck

Unfortunately most of us have been there. The trick with turnout seems to be to WAAAAY overbook. Don't give up. They won't all be like that.

One of the things you ask about is letting people know that if they don't RSVP you might cancel. I don't think that's necessary. You have asked everyone to RSVP. You double-checked with people. If you decide to cancel, and you contact those who have said they'll come, you've done your job.

There's nothing wrong with expecting people to behave like adults. If someone shows up, politely tell them, "I'm sorry. I had to cancel because there didn't seem to be enough interest. I wish I had known you planned to come."

Another way to boost attendance is to ask every guest to bring a friend. I do this and everyone who brings a friend gets free shipping on her order. You don't have to offer anything free but each invitation should be addressed to "Suzy Smith and Guest." And it should be highlighted on the invitaiton itself too. Sometimes we get stuck in the same circle of people. If just one person brings and friend and you book her, she can introduce you to another whole group. Try it, it works!

Been there a few times! Every Grand openings or season previews I have invited anywhere from 65-160 and still get about the same # turn out! 8 +/_!!
I was very disappointed with my last Bingo fall preview turn out with only 8 from 160 invited!!! And I only got 4 RSVPs of those who were coming!!! HOw hard is it to reply to an evite Yes or No I cannot attend? Perhaps no one checks their email EVER?
It's a bummer and I keep telling myself it's the last home party I will host but my show's lately end up at $800+ so then it's worth it in the end.

I also think it is important to do follow up calls to the guests to remind them and see if they are coming.

Wow, great responses! Thank you so much!

First, this was my last attempt to reach my first month Super Starter goal. I had one show booked this past Sunday that fell through (host was ill but we'll connect this Sunday to pick an October date) and a strong potential show during the week that just didn't happen. (She wanted to have it on Wednesday or Thursday - just hadn't chosen one or the other. My attempts to reach her proved futile and I found out she was still busy with her recent move to a new condo. We'll also reschedule in October.)

So. All I could think of was to do a Mystery Host Party and I just gave out invitations on Monday and the date for the party was Thursday! I know, kinda crazy, right?!! ;)

But even though I had only one guest who didn't purchase anything, here are the good things that happened:

1) J, the one attendee, found out more about Pampered Chef and learned a few cooking tips and techniques. She also learned about the benefits of hosting her own show.

2) By approaching a young woman who recently started working at my day job, I learned she had no idea about PC but is a culinary arts student! She has placed an order for $107 worth of kitchen tools and will be dropping off the check tomorrow. She also is getting married next year and I just might get my very first customer for The Wedding Registry!

3) I did get a small order from another lady at work, continuing a relationship with her that I'm building.

4) One woman who was interested in attending, but unable, didn't know about Host benefits, either. When I explained how she could get free product and discounted items, she was genuinely interested. She gave the "I-Don't-Know-That-Many-People" reply and I quickly responded that she probably knows more people than she thought. She has kids in school and I pointed out she could invite some mothers and acquaintances from there as well as friends and family. She said she'd think about it. Her husband was also eyeing some products in the catalog and she said he does cook! Good lead!

5) A male co-worker, who has ordered from PC before (from another consultant years ago at his last workplace) asked me today how it went. I told him it was "smallish" but we had fun! He said he'd love to attend the next one I have, he was just still in the midst of moving.

6) A co-worker of mine apologized for not showing up (she was one of the four I was expecting) but still does want to attend a show.

All in all, it wasn't as much of a "loss" as I had first perceived it to be! I know from prior sales experience (and my father, who had a great sales career) that multiple contacts are necessary for most people before they say "yes." It's just getting them to that show to experience the PC magic! But I'm friendly and encouraging, so I anticipate the day when some of these people will attend a show and really enjoy themselves.

J, was so sweet. She kept saying "Wow, that looks great!" throughout my presentation. At one point she even declared me a gourmet cook! What a darling! Now if that wasn't worth the effort, I don't know what is! *big smile*

Thanks again for the replies. You guys really made my day and reminded me that this is part of the territory.

Mary Rose

I go over the list of people in the show planner with the host, and we make the list of invites together. That seems to help when they don't really have to think about it. Plus, they know that I know how many people they thought of, so they can't pull the "have no friends" excuse!

I give away a prize for whoever brings a guest (SB) and I have the host call and tell them about the Ugly PotHolder contest. Works wonders.

What do you give the winner of the ugly potholder contest?

I had a similar response to a open house in my SS #2 last year. But, my neighbor across the street booked a show that got me two bookings and they each got me a few bookings. It was a lot of work but I have so many customers that I would not have had without that open house.

I'd try to recruit the one who came - you get free cookware for recruiting someone in your SS months.

Good luck.

Something small usually a door prize or SB... At one huge show I bought the lady a new trivet.

From Newbie to Newbie. I am finding that none of the Mystery host shows, or book 24 shows in 24 hours promotions are working for me... I find that with the 15 shows ive had the guest are getting tired of me calling them with new promotions. Its hard when you only have 2-3 months worth of guests to call. But keep looking in odd places for hosts. You could also put on invites "Bring a guest and recieve _______?" Fill in the blank with whatever you are willing to give... At this point Id give them whatever they ask for, but thats just me, struggling with the business my self.

I've just started this....I'm getting my guest lists from my hostesses, and randomly selecting 5 invites (based on # they invite, if small list I do only 3) and I mark them with a stamp or sticker and in my hostess letter where I send her extra invites to hand out, I tell her if find the "maple leaves" (or whatever I marked on invites) if she can tell me the 5 people correctly when I get to her home, I'll give her something (small)

But, I know she did HER rsvp calls with guests and had personal contact with everyone, and I ask her to ask them if they got the invite with the "Maple Leaf" stamped at bottom. I then ask her to ask those guests to bring that invite with them to her show, they get a prize each (small) and, if she gets them all there, I'll give her something else (again small).

I've only done 1 show where I've done this, I marked 4 invites, she was able to identify 3 for sure (she guessed on other as she wasn't able to contact a few guests) and 2 of them showed, so the guests got to grab from my "goodie bag" and then she got to pick 2 things as 2 of the 5 showed up, If all 5 would have showed up, I think I would have done an i-slice or something like that.

HTH

Lisa

Can I just explain the "contest" concept? About three days before the show I call the host and tell them: "I can't believe I forgot to mention this. I just heard of this great contest and I want to do it. Its called the Ugly Potholder contest (or scraper). Again, I'm so sorry but would you please call your friends, even the ones you haven't heard from and let them know about this? I know its late, so if you'd like me to make the calls for you I will. I would hate for anyone to miss out. Just in case anyone asks, how it works is we hold them all up and then we all vote on the worst one. And whoever wins will get a prize". THIS WORKS!!! I had one host who couldn't think of any more than 13 people to invite. I figured I'll wind up with a show of like 5 people. Then, I did this, under the advice of my SD and WOW 15 people showed up! Almost everyone came and a couple of people brought a guest. It completely blew the attendance statistics ou of the water.

I use this stealthy move also!!

I LOVE IT! My SD now as 85% of her shows as $1000+ shows!

1. How can I encourage guests to RSVP for my Pampered Chef party?

To encourage RSVPs, make sure to clearly state the RSVP deadline and include a reminder in your invitation. You can also offer a small incentive, such as a free gift or extra entry into a raffle, for guests who RSVP by the deadline.

2. What should I do if a guest doesn't RSVP?

If a guest doesn't RSVP by the deadline, it's important to follow up with them. You can send a friendly reminder email or give them a call to see if they plan on attending. If you still don't hear back, assume they will not be attending and plan accordingly.

3. How can I minimize the number of no-shows at my party?

One way to minimize no-shows is to have a clear cancellation policy and communicate it to your guests. You can also send a reminder email or text a few days before the party to confirm attendance. Additionally, offering a fun and engaging party experience can also help reduce no-shows.

4. What can I do if a guest cancels last minute?

If a guest cancels last minute, it's important to have a backup plan. You can reach out to other potential guests or ask your current guests if they know anyone who might be interested in attending. You can also offer a virtual option for the guest who had to cancel, such as a video call or virtual party.

5. How should I handle guests who don't show up without canceling?

If a guest doesn't show up without canceling, it's important to follow up with them and ask why they were unable to attend. This can help you understand any barriers or challenges that may have prevented their attendance. You can also consider implementing a no-show policy, such as not allowing them to attend future parties or events, to discourage this behavior in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lsm72
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • completelychristie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Stephaniem
  • caitynsmom