• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Is the Ideal Show Length for Engaging Customers?

In summary, the average show length is 2 hours. The show starts at 6 p.m., and I usually leave around 9 p.m.
clshirk
I'm just curious what the average show length is. Like show starts at 6, what time are you serving food, ready for customers to pay, etc. Not including clean up or any closing or paperwork with the host after the show.

My goal is to not be a bore. I try to do 2 items at my shows, but sometimes it takes longer than an hour to put it out if it's 2 bigger things. My last show was so awesome- but lasted so much longer than I expected- I don't know why, but it did. No one complained. But then my guests decided to take longer to eat- like a sit down meal, then work on their orders while I clean up. But they were all friends and weren't in a hurry. That night I was there from 5 until 9:30- yikes! I've never been at a house that long.
But my norm appears to be 1-1 1/2 hours for demo and talk, then another 30-45 minutes to check out, then another 30-45 minutes to clean up.

For my shows I'm usually in a host's home for about 3 hours. I arrive 1 hour before show-time for setup and figuring outside orders, etc..... So a 6 o'clock show I'd be there at 5, and I'm usually out by 8. I make ONE recipe only! If I offer a second one, it's a drink in the QSP... I prefer to get in and out, because I want to get home to my family. And I find that shows can be very exhausting if they go any longer than that, and then I'm yawning while I take orders.....

Oh... and I rarely do the dishes at the host's house. I bring them home and do them, then re-load. I do the same recipe all month, so I just put everything back in the crate and reload catalogs and I'm ready to go....

soccermama said:
I do the same recipe all month, so I just put everything back in the crate and reload catalogs and I'm ready to go....

I love this idea!! I may try this, it seems I'm making a new recipe every week

Oh, you definitely want to change that!!! It is just soooooo much less stress when you do the same recipe all month.

If I give a choice in recipes, they use the same products so I'm still only packing once. So, so easy!

I've heard consultants worry that their hosts will not like having no choice, but I've never had a host complain. They just buy the ingredients and are happy to have ME do the cooking ;)

I'm also open to changing it up for repeat hosts, etc A theme show can be fun sometimes, I just won't do EVERY show as a theme show, usually once a month is all I can take! lol

I am probably at my host's house for about 2 1/2-3 hours too. I arrive about 1/2 hour before the show to set up. Then the intros, demo, etc., last about an hour from start to eating. Then I spend about another hour taking orders, answering questions, cleaning/packing up & closing the show. I take the host's order that night too & submit the show the next day. I take my products home to wash them in the red crate that came with my kit.

I've been wondering about this too! My demo/talk is about 45-1hour, and then is when it gets totally crazy!! Most of my shows, the crowd is so into socializing that it can be awhile before they give me their orders. I'm not complaining though, I figure if they are having fun, then they will probably want to host their own show too!

If the show is set for 7 p.m., I arrive between 6:00 and 6:15. I start talking at 7:15 to 7:20. Generally I speak for right about an hour. Since I don't hand out the order forms until the end, I have a few minutes to clear my spot and set up for collecting the orders. Depending on the crowd, the first crush of ordering guests usually lasts 15 to 20 minutes. So, by now it's about 8:45 for a large crowd.

After that, I start packing my things away. I tell everyone to take their time. They are still welcome to look at anything they like. I just want to make sure I don't keep the host up too late. I usuallyl have pretty much everything packed up and all the orders collected by aruond 9:00 to 9:15, depending on how much time the guests take. Basically, I'm usually putting things in my van as the last of the guests are leaving.

When I leave depends on how chatty the host gets. I've had hosts keep me for almost an hour after the last of the guests leave, and they weren't even closing the show that night.

So, I guess I spend about 3 hours for the average show, 4 for the chatty ones.

raebates said:
If the show is set for 7 p.m., I arrive between 6:00 and 6:15. I start talking at 7:15 to 7:20. Generally I speak for right about an hour. Since I don't hand out the order forms until the end, I have a few minutes to clear my spot and set up for collecting the orders. Depending on the crowd, the first crush of ordering guests usually lasts 15 to 20 minutes. So, by now it's about 8:45 for a large crowd.

After that, I start packing my things away. I tell everyone to take their time. They are still welcome to look at anything they like. I just want to make sure I don't keep the host up too late. I usuallyl have pretty much everything packed up and all the orders collected by aruond 9:00 to 9:15, depending on how much time the guests take. Basically, I'm usually putting things in my van as the last of the guests are leaving.

When I leave depends on how chatty the host gets. I've had hosts keep me for almost an hour after the last of the guests leave, and they weren't even closing the show that night.

So, I guess I spend about 3 hours for the average show, 4 for the chatty ones.

That sounds like my show to a "T". Thanks for saving me some typing, Rae!:D

My pleasure.

Ok, well that makes me feel better Rae since my shows are just about as long, if not a tad longer.

I am considering starting to make one recipe from home and then making one at the show. I'm starting to find that getting some things done before is so much more productive, but as soon as I think that, I have a show where everyone is in awe while they watch me use every product. So I hate to have them miss out on something being made.

I guess for a starting time of 6pm, it was around 8:30 that I'm usually able to leave. I try not to wash dishes at the hosts home, but sometimes I do a few.

clshirk said:
Ok, well that makes me feel better Rae since my shows are just about as long, if not a tad longer.

I am considering starting to make one recipe from home and then making one at the show. I'm starting to find that getting some things done before is so much more productive, but as soon as I think that, I have a show where everyone is in awe while they watch me use every product. So I hate to have them miss out on something being made.

I guess for a starting time of 6pm, it was around 8:30 that I'm usually able to leave. I try not to wash dishes at the hosts home, but sometimes I do a few.

I usually have everything prepped before the show, so that I am still demoing almost all the tools used in the recipe, but only briefly.

For instance - last night, I made a 30 minute chicken & Strawberry Spinach Salad.........I put the Chicken in the microwave 20 minutes before the start of the show, then for the Salad, I had most of the strawberries, onions, and cucumbers already done before the show, and just spent a couple minutes talking about each product as I finished slicing & dicing (used the salad choppers to coarsely chop the strawberries!). I toasted the almonds in the 8 inch skillet before the show, but left them in the skillet. I made the dressing at home, but brought it to the show in the Mix n Pour, and I had the spinach washed and ready to spin in the Spinner. So my actual "demo" was around 15 minutes (NOTE - That was NOT the length of my show though.....it was a VERY talkative group, and I was there until 9:45!) but there were 7 orders, and a show of $510 and I sold 2 Covered Bakers, 3 8' Saute Pans, and 3 Salad Choppers, plus another booking for July - for the Spinner!

The host was a big help - she kept telling people how quickly I was able to get the chicken in the Microwave, and when I had put it in........and then seeing the salad come together so quickly........I love hearing all the Oohs and Aahs! Especially when it results in sales like last night! Last night put me over the top for the $1500 mark, and I still have a Bridal Shower, 2 kitchen shows, and 2 Catalog shows to go!

My Shows start a 7 typically I am their about six and I am out of their house by 9pm. I never wash dishes at my hosts home, I have a white garbage bag that I put into my show to go case and put all my dirty dishes their and do them when I get home!!

I have only 3 kitchen shows so far. This is what I do my shows start at 6:30 i arrive around 5:15. I set up and prep for the show. I have most everything ready by the time guests arrive. As guest arrive I hand out guest packets, catalog, Special flyers, door slip, opportunity brochure, and encourage guests to check out products. If anyone mentions they would like to have a product I have the demo the product for me. I start the show when the host believes everyone is there. I do two demos. So far it has been cool creamy fondue and aloha pizza. Very easy. It takes about an hour to get the demo done and I give my speach about products. When the demos are ready to be served I start cleaning up. Then I start taking orders. I am usually out of my host house by 8:30-9:00. I try to be brief and to the point. I have a family at home waiting on me and most of my hosts have families too so I don't want to be there all night.
I have been thinking about taking my demos already done to the shows and then do a catalog walk through. My sister in law is having a show in July she probably has more PC items then I do so I am thinking about setting up stations were the guest use the products themselves. Any ideas of what to have at these stations?

I arrive about 20 minutes before the show. So for a 7pm show, I'm there at 6:40pm.

I bring a recipe already prepared, or something totally quick (got tired of waiting for hosts to get everything out of their cabinets/fridge while guests were arriving).
I set up a small display - about card table size of new *favorites* and the Summer Products.

I do a 30 minute presentation on "what's new" and go through the collections (stoneware, cookware, knives, SA). I talk about bookings, recruiting and my story - throughout the demo.
I let the host serve the recipe while I close up my spiel, and then let everyone do a door prize drawing (after I explain the "answers" ;)). After the host picks a winner, I give a prize.
I let them know about the specials AGAIN (pointing them out in the folder) as a great bargain, and pointing out the host specials AGAIN...letting them know I'd love to do a show for THEM.
I say that I'll be around helping everyone with their orders, and after about 10 mins of that, I start packing up.

I'm typically in my car about 8:45. Unless, like Rae said, I get a really chatty group...and then I'm there longer. Most of the time it's around 2 hours from arrival to departure. :)

Laura, that sounds a lot like my Yak & Snack show. It's a big summer hit.

raebates said:
Laura, that sounds a lot like my Yak & Snack show. It's a big summer hit.

I saw that in another thread & am "borrowing" it for my shows now! Thanks, Rae! I'm offering it along with traditional shows.

Borrow away! I decided to think of it as recycling others' ideas. Makes me feel all environmentally responsible.

Laura, I do my shows pretty much like that too, except my guests eat first! I have had so many good comments about that! I talk about 45 minutes, then take orders! I am usually there about total 2 1/2 hours!

Those of you who bring the recipe mostly prepped--do you ask the host for reimbursement of ingredients?

DebbieJ said:
Those of you who bring the recipe mostly prepped--do you ask the host for reimbursement of ingredients?

I mention in host coaching that I will shop for the ingredients (I do all the shopping) & they can reimburse me when we close the show. I mention the $15 for host benefits for it & tell them the food is never more than $15. I've never had anyone have a problem with it. Most of the time they are just so excited that they don't have to do the shopping!

DebbieJ said:

I pay for the ingredients. I choose one or two recipes that I do all month long, so I can divide one jar of something among the shows. I usually spend less than $7 on average, often less than $5. It's tax deductible and, frankly, easier for me.

I also buy the ingredients, I make the same two recipes all month long as well..... but I do pre-make at home I just come to the show earlier and do prep work.

My director mentioned that she started having her hosts send her $15 with their guest list. If it is under she gives them back change, if it is over, she eats it. She said it has been alot easier for here. She also does not cook at the show according to her she finds that the people want to see the products, not watch you cook. She brings a few potatoes to show the products with and her sales have increased, plus she has them eat first off.

Laura,

This is just what I had in mind. I am not sure how I did it, but I booked two shows for this coming Saturday. Experience had told me that neither would probably occur, so I didn't worry about it. Especially since both hosts had not returned my calls and I have to admit I have been very proactive since my vacation. Anyway, they both returned my calls this evening and we are on for 3pm and 7pm this Saturday. Please pray for me. I have been wanting to cut down on my time in the host home. Maybe now is the time. I would appreciate any recipe suggestions you might have. By the way, do you ask the host to reimburse you for the food? Thanks. Janice

Janice Stroud said:
Laura,

This is just what I had in mind. I am not sure how I did it, but I booked two shows for this coming Saturday. Experience had told me that neither would probably occur, so I didn't worry about it. Especially since both hosts had not returned my calls and I have to admit I have been very proactive since my vacation. Anyway, they both returned my calls this evening and we are on for 3pm and 7pm this Saturday. Please pray for me. I have been wanting to cut down on my time in the host home. Maybe now is the time. I would appreciate any recipe suggestions you might have. By the way, do you ask the host to reimburse you for the food? Thanks. Janice

I do "No Cooking" shows also. They are so much easier and I usually go home with little to no dirty dishes! I arrive 30 minutes before the show, talk for 30 minutes and am out the door within 2 hours....makes my hourly wage a little higher!

Lots of people like this format better, and my sales & bookings have certainly not suffered!

As far as the food costs, I send them a SASE for them to send in their payment, guests checks, etc. and just have them add the $$ for the recipe then. Everyone loves that I shop for them.

I find it's so much easier to do my shows this way! I suggest that everyone try it. The only time I prepare the dish in front of them is when I am asked by the host or if it's a trifle (they are soooo quick to do!).

DebbieJ said:

Yesiree!

My time is just like Laura Wells! In, boom, bang, and out the door!

Ginny

How Long Are Your Shows?

Most of our shows last approximately 2 hours, but the length can vary depending on the host and the number of guests.

Do I Need to Attend the Entire Show?

It is recommended that you attend the entire show to get the full experience and to learn about all of the products and recipes. However, if you need to leave early, that is completely understandable.

Can I Host a Shorter Show?

Yes, you can request for a shorter show if you have time constraints or a smaller group of guests. Our consultants will work with you to create a customized show that fits your needs.

What Time of Day Are Shows Usually Held?

Shows can be held at any time of day, depending on the host's preference and availability. Many shows are held in the evenings or on weekends, but we are flexible and can accommodate different schedules.

Can I Schedule a Show on a Specific Date?

Yes, you can schedule a show on a specific date if it is available. It is recommended to book your show at least 2 weeks in advance to ensure availability. Contact your consultant to discuss available dates.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• CathyBob
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
dianafeller
  • gailz2
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • Bren706