• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Aunt Given Two Days to Live...(Kinda Long)

In summary, Danielle's aunt has colon cancer and it is terminal. The kids in her life are 17, 14, 12 and 10 years old. She has four kids and only has two years to live. Danielle is considering getting a colonoscopy.
daniellemorgan
Okay all you prayer warriors, here's one that really needs your attention...Backstory
My uncle died in 1990 at the age of 40 from colon cancer. He was diagnosed at 38. All the siblings (8 of them, my mom included) were told to get colonoscopys ASAP. Of course all the boys did, but my mom and her sister decided not too. My mom was 34 at the time and my aunt was 28. Keep in mind this is a very Irish family who barely talks and keeps secrets from everyone. Fastforward to three years ago and my mom finally had genetic counseling and the long overdue colonoscopy. Luckily, she had some polyps, but they were benign. She recently had another one and the same thing. Two Weeks Ago
My uncle calls my mom and tells her that my aunt thought something was wrong with her gallbladder (she's a nurse), but turns out she has stage 4 colon cancer. It metastized to her liver, which was enlarged and that was why she though it was her gallbladder (they are next to each other). She opted to do aggressive chemo to shrink the tumors on her liver, just to lessen the pain. They told her it was terminal and gave her two years.Yesterday
My uncle called my mom and said that my aunt took a turn for the worst and she got an infection. All her organs were shutting down and they gave her two days at the most.If all that isn't bad enough, here's the kicker...she has 4 kids!! Their ages are 17, 14, 12 & 10. She had her husband bring them up to the hospital so she could say good-bye before they pretty much put her in a drug induced coma.I'm not a very religious person, but I have to believe that there is a greater purpose out there for these kids to lose their mother at such a young age. If you all could just keep these kids in your prayers I would greatly appreciate it!!:angel: :angel: Moral of the story: Get a colonoscopy! If you can't get a referral lie and say you saw blood in your stool. Colon cancer is the most preventable cancer out there.

Danielle - I'm so sorry to hear this about your aunt. My prayers are with you & your family right now. Especially those kids!

That is absolutely heart breaking. Prayers to you & the whole family.

Danielle, I'm so sorry to hear this. Your family will be in my prayers as you're facing this very difficult time in your life.

I am so sorry to hear about this devastating news. You and your family will definitely be in our prayers.

Oh I'm so heart broken for your family. You will all be in my prayers.

Danielle, I am so sorry for you and your family.

I have to second the motion you should get a colonoscopy. My grandmother had colon cancer, and was cured. When I was in my late teens, they didnt know what was wrong with me and thought it could be CC. So I had the dreaded, and unpleasant, colonoscopy. I am better now.

Like you my uncle and mom have had the colonoscopy, but my aunt won't get hers. I think she is foolish really.

As you said it is the most treatable.

Thanks for bringing this important subject matter to our attention.

And blessings and hugs for the days ahead.

Danielle,
I'm so sorry to hear that. That's so tragic! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I am so sorry to hear about this Danielle - prayers for you and your family. Both of my grandparents (my dad's parents) died from colon cancer and it took a long time before my dad would do a colonscopy - thankfully he has done them since along with my mom - I will not hesitate to do this procedure in the future.

vwpamperedchef said:
Like you my uncle and mom have had the colonoscopy, but my aunt won't get hers. I think she is foolish really.

My mother, who is also a nurse, used the excuse that she was afraid something would go wrong during the procedure. Really?? I think that the people who won't get the test are just afraid of the results. Kinda like, "outa site, outa mind."

I was supposed to get one when I was 28, but I don't have insurance. I'm 29 now, so I'm not worried, but I did talk to my doctor about it and I have to get a physical for school, so we're going to do some stool testing. :yuck: That should hold me over until I get insurance.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!!
:angel: :) :angel: :) :angel: :) :angel: :) :angel: :)

Hi Danielle! I will add your family to my prayers.

Lisa

Danielle -
Can't you get insurance through your school? With the history so strong in your family, don't take any chances. Think about your daughter's future. As you said it is preventable!! Thoughts are going out to you and your family.

I'm praying for your aunt. I know that all with God all things are possible and I pray that he will bring her through this and comfort the family during this scary time.

I'm so sorry, your family is in my prayers.

I am so sorry :( , my prayers go out to you and the children.

So sorry to hear this. My MIL was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer in January. It has spread to several major organs and she is currently going through Chemo. I feel your pain.......

:angel: prayers to you hun!:angel:
I'm so sorry! I will pray for you, and your family, and especially for her husband and her kids! Oh, this just breaks my heart!:(

climbercanoe3 said:
Danielle -
Can't you get insurance through your school? With the history so strong in your family, don't take any chances. Think about your daughter's future.

As you said it is preventable!!

Thoughts are going out to you and your family.

I can't get insurance through school. I will definitely have insurance in the next two years.

I've already priced what it would cost to have the procedure done, so that is always an option I am keeping open.

Thanks for the concern!

I will be praying for your family. I hope the best for you all.

vwpamperedchef said:
I have to second the motion you should get a colonoscopy. My grandmother had colon cancer, and was cured.
Thanks for bringing this important subject matter to our attention.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately, it can come back. That happened to my grandfather. He also had lung cancer. Both were considered "cured" since it had been over 25 years and both returned. He didn't make it the 2nd time around.

I still urge everyone to have screenings. I am also high risk for ovarian cancer. I get my yearly exams & if anything seems "off" I go again. And I am only 32.

I'm so sorry. You'll all be in my prayers.

I'm so sorry ~ all of you are in my prayers...

stacywhitlow said:
vwpamperedchef said:
I have to second the motion you should get a colonoscopy. My grandmother had colon cancer, and was cured.
Thanks for bringing this important subject matter to our attention.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately, it can come back. That happened to my grandfather. He also had lung cancer. Both were considered "cured" since it had been over 25 years and both returned. He didn't make it the 2nd time around.

I still urge everyone to have screenings. I am also high risk for ovarian cancer. I get my yearly exams & if anything seems "off" I go again. And I am only 32.

Yes, I agree. My grandmother now is 84, since colon cancer, she's had a heart attack and stroke, but she is as good as she possibly can be at her age. Must be her English blood! She's a fighter that's for sure. At her age, she doesn't bother with the colonoscopy check ups. I don't blame her, but for my mom, her siblings and myself including, checks should take place every so often!

You, your aunt, and family and her kids are in our prayers. I am so very sorry for this. I lost my dad when I was 2 years old, and my sister wasn't born yet...she was born 8 months after he died. My heart goes out to kids who lose a parent, and I hope they don't lose their mom!

Danielle,

I am sad to hear that your family is going through this. I pray for your Aunt, her DH, and her kids! I can't imagine losing a parent at such a young age. Remember, though, that even in such a horrible situation God has his hand on all of it. I pray that a miracle could happen and she would be saved...but if that isn't able to happen, that God would provide support for all of you to get through it one day at a time.

{{{HUGS}}}

Thanks again everyone for all your encouraging words!!!

Update:My Aunt died peacefully at 6:00AM this morning.

I'm so sorry Danielle, but it sounds like it was probably the best thing for her at this point.

Your family is in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You are all in my prayers.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Danielle.:( That's so sad.

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for taking a moment to update us. I'm very sorry for your loss - may you find peace and comfort soon.

daniellemorgan said:
Update:

My Aunt died peacefully at 6:00AM this morning.

Aww....Danielle, sorry to hear. May your family be of comfort to one another during this times, and support to those kids who are grieving or in shock. :(

Danielle, my heart felt sympathies go out to you and your family. Also to your Aunts husband and children. I am very sorry for your loss.

I lost my father at a very young age- I can relate, and I'm so very, truly sorry.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts & prayers are with your family. Hugs.

Continuing to Pray for you and your family..... I'm sorry for you loss:(
God Bless you and yours

Danielle,

I'm so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing. May you find comfort and peace at this difficult, sad time.

Danielle,

May your Aunt be at peace now, where there is a world with no pain and suffering. You and your family will be in my prayers.

xoxo

I am sorry to hear this...I pray that you and your family (especially the kids) are comforted through this time.

I am so sorry for all of you Danielle, but my heart truly breaks for her children. My husband lost his Dad to cancer when he was 14. Even at 40, some days are still hard.

You are all in my prayers.

Lisa

Danielle I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in prayers.

I am sad to hear your loss Danielle. I will continue to pray for your family. God knows what is best and just rely on Him for wisdom and understanding.

Prayers for your whole family during this time. May the Lord surround all of you!!

I am so sorry for your loss. Just know that she's not in pain anymore and smiling down upon you.

Sorry for your loss and you are in my prayers

I'm so sorry for your family's terrible loss, Danielle. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this very difficult time. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

Oh, Danielle {{{{hugs}}}}. You are in our thoughts and prayers, but please let us know if we can do anything else for you!

Danielle,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your uncle, cousins, family, and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. ((HUGS))

Danielle ~ may your fond memories help you and the rest of the family through this incredibly difficult time. Keep her legacy alive by telling her kids all the stories you have of her. Much need prayers coming your way ~

<h2>1) What happened to your uncle and how did it affect the rest of the family?</h2><p>My uncle died from colon cancer at the age of 40, which prompted the rest of the family to get colonoscopies. However, my mom and aunt chose not to at the time.</p><h2>2) What led to your aunt's diagnosis of colon cancer?</h2><p>Three years ago, my mom finally had genetic counseling and a colonoscopy. She had some benign polyps, but my aunt did not get checked until recently when she experienced symptoms that she initially thought were related to her gallbladder.</p><h2>3) What was the prognosis given to your aunt?</h2><p>Unfortunately, her cancer had already spread to her liver and was considered terminal. She was given two years to live.</p><h2>4) What is the latest update on your aunt's condition?</h2><p>Sadly, she recently took a turn for the worse and developed an infection. Her organs were shutting down and she was given two days to live at most. She has now been put into a drug induced coma.</p><h2>5) How has this situation affected your aunt's family, particularly her children?</h2><p>My aunt has four children, ages 17, 14, 12, and 10, who are now facing the loss of their mother at such a young age. It is a heartbreaking situation and I am hoping for a greater purpose for these kids in the future.</p>

1) What happened to your uncle and how did it affect the rest of the family?

My uncle died from colon cancer at the age of 40, which prompted the rest of the family to get colonoscopies. However, my mom and aunt chose not to at the time.

2) What led to your aunt's diagnosis of colon cancer?

Three years ago, my mom finally had genetic counseling and a colonoscopy. She had some benign polyps, but my aunt did not get checked until recently when she experienced symptoms that she initially thought were related to her gallbladder.

3) What was the prognosis given to your aunt?

Unfortunately, her cancer had already spread to her liver and was considered terminal. She was given two years to live.

4) What is the latest update on your aunt's condition?

Sadly, she recently took a turn for the worse and developed an infection. Her organs were shutting down and she was given two days to live at most. She has now been put into a drug induced coma.

5) How has this situation affected your aunt's family, particularly her children?

My aunt has four children, ages 17, 14, 12, and 10, who are now facing the loss of their mother at such a young age. It is a heartbreaking situation and I am hoping for a greater purpose for these kids in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
nikked
  • Kitchen2u
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton