• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Arrggh....when Is the Latest You Call a Customer?

In summary, Jaye felt so stupid for not asking the customer if it was a good time to talk before starting the call. She reached the next lady and asked questions, but then felt embarrassed because she didn't ask if the caller was having a good time. Jaye feels so stupid because she knows that phone calls are key to her business, but she can't seem to get them done. She has been struggling with this issue for her first Super Starter month. She recommends making a schedule and training your family on when you will be on the phone.
Chef Mary Rose
I feel so stupid...Tonight I decided I finally was going to get serious about doing my Customer Care calls. I had a teleclass at 9 PM but for some reason, the teleclass leader didn't show. (eep!) So I'm sitting there, waiting, thinking, "I could be calling people right now!"

Finally, I hung up the phone at 9:08 PM and started my calls. I had an answering machine and then I reached the next lady. Here I am, asking how she's liking her food chopper, asking questions, heading toward explaining host benefits when she interrupts me (nicely) to let me know she's already in bed. At 9:15 PM.

EEEK!! I felt so embarrassed! I usually do ask people if it's a good time to talk but for some reason I didn't do that with this lady. :eek:

I'm in my first Super Starter month and it's been hard. I know phone calls are key but between me getting home, cooking dinner, then trying to get on the phone in the midst of other people calling us - is very frustrating.

I needed to vent, so thanks for listening. And if you have any good tips for doing your customer calls, let me know. At this moment, I feel like a complete idiot...

Usually the rule is 9-9... no earlier than 9 AM, no later than 9 PM. I usually go 10 - 8. Just because I personally don't like my phone ringing either before or after those hours....

Don't sweat it. You apologized and that's all you can do! :) We have all done it before! :)

Congrats on your first month! Way to go with your follow up calls! A lot of people don't make them AT ALL! You are awesome!
Jaye

Is there any way you can sneak a few in on your lunch break, etc? I have been known to take my book in the car and call if I get to an appt early or get a few minutes after.

Oh I have a horrible time finding the moments to call during the evening. I try to have phone numbers with me in the kitchen so if I'm cleaning AND the kids are quiet, I can call a few folks. I also do most of my customer care calls during the day and just leave messages. That way, evenings are left for booking and host coaching calls. I also try to call hosts a little later (maybe between 9-9:20) since I know them and have guaged their schedule a bit better. Good luck. It's a balancing act that I'm still learning.

One trick that I TRY to do - doesn't always work - is I take my stuff with me when I am running errands and I try to make a call or two either in my drive way or in a parking lot - it's quiet. AND... if the baby is with me, he is usually quiet.... Doesn't always work, but it's something I try. AND, if I am ever alone, I try to get at least one call in then!

Good luck!! As Bee said.. .it's definitely a balancing act.

Jaye

Is this deja vu? There's two threads with the same title!

Let yourself off the hook. You made an innocent mistake for which you apologized. It doesn't sound like your customer was upset, anyway, so put that behind you.

I generally start my calls at about 7 p.m. and end just before 8 p.m. That way I'm less likely to interrupt someone's dinner or favorite TV show. (Those Survivor fans can be a bit touchy. I've even had friends tell me they screen calls during their favorite shows.)

I have the advantage, of having the house all to myself in the evenings. My husband works 2nd shift, and our 20-year-old son is rarely home that early. I'm not exactly sure of your family situation, but my suggestion would be to make a schedule for your calls. If your family knows you're going to be on the phone Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 to 8 p.m. (or whatever), it may make it easier to get those calls made. Of course, if your family is like mine it may a few weeks to get them trained.

Like so many of the others, I frequently take numbers along with me, especially if I know I'm going to spend time waiting in the car somewhere. The "Power Hour" kit is great for that!

Lacy - yes, you are seeing double...when I typed my original post last night, the site was having problems. I did a stop, and then resubmitted the post. I saw it went through and then saw my second attempt was there, too! When I tried to edit and delete, the site locked on me and then I couldn't get back in. Sorry for the repeat!

Thanks much, everyone, for your encouragement. Sometimes I'm a little hard on myself. Last night was one of those moments. :)

First, sales is not an easy job. If it were, everyone and their grandmother would be doing it. For those who stay the course, though - it is a fantastic way to create a nice income. My father was a salesman and his success allowed him to send both my brother and I to private Catholic high schools and partially pay for our college tuition. That was over twenty years ago.

As for the phone calls, I know persistence is the secret. My goal is to actually connect with them, not just their answering machines. But yet so many people are very busy, so I know I'll try my best to contact them but because of time constraints, may have to settle for the answering machine.

I remember going to a Pampered Chef bridal show two years ago. I told the consultant I wanted to have a show. She did follow-up by calling me once, but that was it! I happened to get busy and kept forgetting to call her back and then eventually, the piece of paper that had her information on it was lost.

I remember this especially since I'm now a consultant. If she had called me a second time (or third, or fourth), I would have followed up on scheduling the event. But I really did need to be pursued - not because I was a hard sell, only because I was very busy during that time.

I eventually met my Director at a networking event. We became friends and I started to schedule my PC shows with her. And finally, (because I'm such a PC groupie!) I became a consultant.

So for some of us, it took a while and I have to remind myself of this now that I'm on the other end of the phone!

Again, thanks bunches. I look forward to bringing some good results after I go on my "phone mission!"

If anyone ever calls my house after 9 i always think something is wrong! he he. Just think about times when yu would appreciate a call. Not in the morning when you are rushing to get kids off to school. Not on your lunch break. not durring dinner, not durring your shows.
Just do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

jaye said:
Usually the rule is 9-9... no earlier than 9 AM, no later than 9 PM. I usually go 10 - 8. Just because I personally don't like my phone ringing either before or after those hours....

Don't sweat it. You apologized and that's all you can do! :) We have all done it before! :)

Congrats on your first month! Way to go with your follow up calls! A lot of people don't make them AT ALL! You are awesome!
Jaye

I do 10-9 as well. I do most of my calling from the cell when I am running errands

I called a lady the other day at 8:15 p.m. and she was alrady headed to bed - Try not to worry - Everyone has a different schedule. Some people go into work really early or really late ard

I called a lady at 4 and she was sitting down to dinner

Check with them what the best time is. I try to mention at my shows that I do "out of the box calls" and if there's a specific time range they would prefer a call, to list it on the prize drawing slip.When I talk to my hosts, I always ask when is the best time. Frequently, they're so busy with their own lives that they actually prefer a call between 9 and 9:30. But 9:30 is my limit for calling customers and hosts. I don't want to be known as the rude lady. :)

I never call past 9 p.m. or so unless I have permission.

Something to think about...I attended a Director's summit a couple of month ago. One of our very successful Executive Directors did some of the training. She works from 9 -3 Monday through Friday for any calls she will make or receive. Those are her business hours. Now of course she does work shows in the evening as well as group meetings and training, but I just love the idea of having set business hours. Even her team knows those are her hours and they try to limit their time with her to them.

Okay, I know what you are all thinking because I am still thinking the same thing. What if your recruits, hosts or customers work during the day? Everyone has some point during the day they get to take a 10 minute break or lunch break. Those are great times to schedule the calls. At least you know they need to be quick since they have limited time. I am usually very chatty so this might be very good for me.

Now what if you work another job? Same thing goes for you - try and schedule the calls during your lunch break.

I have not implemented these types of hours yet, but I am really considering it. I think setting business hours when the rest of the world is also working really instills in others that you are running a business. Hmmm...I think I have convinced myself this would be great for my business.

Everyone has some point during the day they get to take a 10 minute break or lunch break.

This isn't necessarily true - I have a 15 minute lunch break - I need that for lunch. I cannot make or receive personal calls at my desk. And that is true of many people. I would not call anyone at work unless that was their preferred method of contact.

I call all day and only get machines... I made at least 100 calls to fair contacts and left messages with most. Not ONE person called me back! I have totally given up on leaving messages. I don't want to interupt dinner, and I have to feed my family and put my kids down. If I am making calls then I get my kids in bed by 8pm (they are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2) and make calls from 8-9pm. I get a lot more real people and actually get things accomplished!

loreedfk said:
This isn't necessarily true - I have a 15 minute lunch break - I need that for lunch. I cannot make or receive personal calls at my desk. And that is true of many people. I would not call anyone at work unless that was their preferred method of contact.

Yeah, we have a strict Zero tolerance policy for personal calls - even on our lunch breaks. I wouldn't attempt to make personal calls during my lunch hour. Now, my director has called me at work (I forward my cell to my office # for emergencies) and that's fine - but I wouldn't call a customer during work hours, unless they were ONLY available during that time.

Yeah after 9..kids are in bed for school. It is just not a good time unless people tell you too. I don't like the phone ringing after that time...Unless it's Carolyn with PC INFO..HEHEHEHEHHEHE

Honestly, if they cannot take calls at work they should not give their number then. I have plenty of customers that only give me a home or cell and I do the same on a lot of these things. JMHO.

I have on my answering machine at home (it has the option of 3 seperate mailboxes) I list my work hours under my mailbox (option 2) M-F 8:30 am - 5 pm and Sat by appointment only. That way no one bothers me...LOL

Cool Idea!!

I do not call after 9. Try ti be finished by 830. That is on the night I finally get off my butt and make calls!

I work during the day and have thought about calling during my lunch hour a couple days a week. I expect to leave a lot of messages. Does anyone have luck with messages?

I do not have any luck with messages. It's so frustrating. Some say that if they are interested they will call back...others say that they have their lives and you are last on their list so keep calling until you reach someone, but that it doesn't mean they aren't interested. SO, I will continue to call....but I don't always leave messages.

No one ever calls me back from messages! It is so frustrating. The other night I was having a horrible time because I got 3 kids that were too young to be answering the phone!

I tend to agree that after 9pm is late. I personally call between 7 and 8pm.
For myself though during the winter when it is dark at 4:30 9pm seems way late but in the summer when it is still light out 9pm isn't that late.
You'll never please everyone - last week I had the flu and was asleep (finally resting) at 2 in the afternoon, when I got a phonecall that woke me up - so you just never know!

1. When is the latest time I can call a customer?

The latest time you can call a customer depends on their time zone and your company's policies. Generally, it is best to call customers during normal business hours, between 9am and 5pm. However, if you have a customer who has specifically requested a call outside of these hours, it is acceptable to call at a later time as long as it is still within a reasonable time frame.

2. Is it okay to call a customer after 9pm?

No, it is not okay to call a customer after 9pm. This is considered to be outside of normal business hours and may disrupt their personal time. It is best to respect your customers' personal time and only call during appropriate hours.

3. What if I can't reach a customer during normal business hours?

If you are unable to reach a customer during normal business hours, it is best to leave a voicemail or send an email. You can also try calling again at a later time. It is important to respect your customers' schedules and not continuously call or contact them outside of normal business hours.

4. Can I call a customer on a weekend?

It is generally not recommended to call a customer on a weekend unless they have specifically requested a call during this time. Many people use their weekends for personal time and may not appreciate a business call during this time. It is best to stick to normal business hours for contacting customers.

5. How long should I wait before calling a customer back?

The amount of time you should wait before calling a customer back depends on the reason for the call and the urgency of the matter. If it is a follow-up call or a request for more information, it is best to wait a day or two before calling back. However, if it is a time-sensitive matter, it is acceptable to call back within a few hours. Use your best judgement and always be respectful of your customers' time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Mary Rose
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
mykids326
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • RoseAndrews
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies