• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Hidden Dangers in Your Kitchen?

In summary, this article from Real Simple provides 12 safe kitchen facts about your kitchen, followed by 9 cooking myths and 8 common kitchen mishaps. Some interesting tips include using a coffee filter as a substitute for cheesecloth, storing fresh herbs in water, and adding a pinch of sugar when cooking with onions. The article also mentions freezing milk and using a rubber band to hold a spoon or whisk over a pot.
4kids4me
I thought this was a fascinating article worth sharing. It's from Real Simple.
I learned more than one thing from reading this!!!
http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/gallery/0,21863,1605877,00.html?nid=8515070411-1608512

It has 12 safe kitchens facts about your kitchen. After that, there is a button for the 'next solution' and it has 9 cooking myths.

And then it has 8 common kitchen mishaps.

Very interesting...

Not sure what is next, but will find out soon. Gotta go......

1. The "best by" date on food products is not the same as an expiration date. The "best by" date is simply the manufacturer's recommendation for when the product is at its peak freshness and quality, but it is still safe to consume after that date.2. You can freeze milk! Just pour out a little bit to allow for expansion, and then freeze in an airtight container. When thawed, the milk may have a slightly different texture, but it is still safe to consume.3. The tiny holes on your pasta spoon are not just for draining water. They are actually meant to measure out a single serving of pasta.4. The difference between baking powder and baking soda is that baking powder contains both an acid and a base, while baking soda only contains a base. This means that baking powder can be used on its own, while baking soda needs an acidic ingredient (such as lemon juice or buttermilk) to activate it.5. When cooking with garlic, it's best to add it towards the end of the cooking process. This will prevent it from burning and becoming bitter.6. You can use a coffee filter as a substitute for cheesecloth when straining liquids.7. Store your fresh herbs in a glass of water on your counter, just like you would with flowers. This will help keep them fresh for longer.8. Don't throw away those overripe bananas! You can freeze them and use them for smoothies or baking later on.9. When cooking with onions, add a pinch of sugar to help caramelize them faster and bring out their sweetness.10. To prevent your brown sugar from hardening, store it in the freezer. If it's already hardened, you can revive it by placing a slice of bread in the container overnight. The moisture from the bread will soften the sugar.11. When cooking pasta, save some of the starchy pasta water and add it to your sauce. The starch will help thicken the sauce and make it stick to the pasta better.12. Use a rubber band to hold a spoon or whisk over a pot when cooking. This will prevent it from falling into the pot and creating a mess.13. To easily peel hard-boiled eggs, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water before boiling. The shells will come off much easier.14. When making homemade whipped cream, add a pinch of cream of tartar to help stabilize the cream and

Related to Are There Hidden Dangers in Your Kitchen?

What are some common kitchen safety hazards?

Some common hazards in the kitchen include sharp knives, hot surfaces and liquids, electrical appliances, and cross-contamination of raw meats and vegetables.

Why is it important to keep your kitchen clean?

Keeping your kitchen clean is important to prevent the growth of bacteria and other harmful microorganisms. It also helps to prevent food contamination and illness.

What should I do if I get burned in the kitchen?

If you get burned in the kitchen, immediately run the affected area under cool water for at least 10 minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention. Do not apply ointments or ice to the burn.

How can I prevent foodborne illness in my kitchen?

To prevent foodborne illness, make sure to properly wash and cook all meats and vegetables, avoid cross-contamination, and refrigerate leftovers promptly. It's also important to regularly clean and disinfect all kitchen surfaces and utensils.

What are some safe food handling practices?

Safe food handling practices include washing your hands before and after handling food, using separate cutting boards for raw meats and vegetables, and cooking food to the recommended internal temperature. It's also important to properly store and refrigerate food to prevent spoilage and contamination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mike nike
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies