• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are There Any Asian Consultants on Here?

In summary, my Asian neighbors do not seem interested in my business. I was wondering if there are certain things that have more appeal to an Asian cook.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
I ask because in my experience the Asian women that I've spoken to about my business do not seem interested at all. I was wondering if there are certain things that have more appeal to an Asian cook. You know, like the Hispanic market. I hope I have asked this question pc (politically correct) enough.

I have a few Asian neighbors (the wife anyway) whenever I invite them to my Open Houses they look at me like I'm an idiot or something. I have spoken to them so I know they can speak English so that's not the deal.

I was just wondering. Thanks!

WHAT! You are too funny! I looked at this thread like why is she asking? ;)

I'm in a military community with EVERY possbile ethnic background or combinaton thereof. The base has one or two Asian American or Pacific Islander associatons (hope I got the names right). Anyway, a fellow consultant just told me today that she is working with some folks that are part of it and she is expecting it to be a GREAT way to get her foot in and she expects positive response. So.....I might have to ask her if she has any particular experiences that help her market to that ethnic crowd.

I am but sorry I cannot shed any light (I am a 4th generation) Asian American so my family is pretty Americanized-mainstreamed so to speak. My husband laughs because he calls me "a white girl trapped in an asian girls body". LOL (All caucasian freinds, family inlaws etc) so I am not around that culture much besides my family who is married to caucasians. Can't say I have ever done a show with an all asian group either so I am of no help sorry. But ofcourse my family comes to all of my open houses-preview shows!
NO help sorry.

Not Asian but...I have been "adopted" into a large group of Filipinos from my church :) They actually refer to me as their adopted sister when they talk to others :) I have done quite a few shows with them.....and eaten many meals in their homes! What I've found.....

They LOVE to entertain. Family is important and they love to get together for any occasion. I have sold TONS of Simple Additions. That is what I focus on at their shows. Cookware sells well too. They do alot of frying things in a skillet :)

Many times things get lost in the translation. Even my friends that have lived in the US for almost 20 years will sometimes smile at me that smile that says...Hmmm, not sure if I know what you're saying.

I've had a few mark that they are interested in the opportunity but when you actually talk to them they didn't seem to realize you meant become a consultant! At a show, you should be VERY specific and I would put the emphasis on how being a consultant let's you gather friends together. (Same thing for getting bookings.)

My experience has shown that money isn't an issue so stressing the host benefits is not a selling point.

They also tend to stay in a "pocket"....inviting the same people to each others shows. I have had to really stress inviting EVERY one they know, not just their Filipino friends.

It really, really depends on your customer. My husband is Chinese and he likes using some of my stuff, but not all. I would have better luck selling to people like his brother, who are effectively more Western than asian anyway.For people like his parents ... I can honestly say forget it. Not that they don't support me in my business, they are all for being into business for yourself, but it mostly has to do with a generation's mentality, in my opinion. His mom has her set ways of doing things and likes to cook a certain way, and eat certain foods. You put something different in front of her, she won't really eat it, or will just be polite and taste it. Even though the Chinese are very family oriented, they have their ways and traditions. My husband also tells me that he (and his mom) and lots of other people in the culture aren't likely to invite strangers in their home unless they know and trust them ... because if something bad happens, say poor quality or customer service or whatever, it reflects back on the host and she loses face.It all sounds extremely strange to Westerners, I guess. My husband is a first-generation Chinese not born in his parent's countries. (Mom is from Hong Kong, dad is from Taiwan.) My father-in-law will always be polite to me and I never will know what he really thinks, because that is his way. Or it could be that he is afraid of me because I am 5 inches taller than him. LOL

sailortena said:
Or it could be that he is afraid of me because I am 5 inches taller than him. LOL

I think height (or my lack of it!) played a part in my being "adopted". I am 4'11.5" and there are about 7 Filipino women that are all about the same size as me!

sailortena said:
His mom has her set ways of doing things and likes to cook a certain way, and eat certain foods. You put something different in front of her, she won't really eat it, or will just be polite and taste it.

Even though the Chinese are very family oriented, they have their ways and traditions. My husband also tells me that he (and his mom) and lots of other people in the culture aren't likely to invite strangers in their home unless they know and trust them ... because if something bad happens, say poor quality or customer service or whatever, it reflects back on the host and she loses face.

So basically, I as a neighbor, stand no chance of being invited into their home or making them feel welcomed to come to my home? :eek: I grew up with several Filipino friends (my dad was in the service). I never really experienced how exclusive they were because we were in the circle of trust. How different.

BingoThat is correct. Unless you know them personally or have been friends with them for years you won't really be considered someone they can trust or have meet their family and friends.
I have some friends at church who are Asian (korean) and keep to themselves alot. They won't invite anyone over because they feel they don't have alot to offer (room, space, etc) even though we have assured them it doesn't matter.

Invite her over for lunch or for coffee, tea, etc and get to know her. Who knows she may become a very good friend and customer. But don't push the PC stuff anymore, just try to get to know her first.

Debbie :D

My experience has shown that money isn't an issue so stressing the host benefits is not a selling point.
I have to beg to differ on this point...at least in MY experience. My SIL is full Filipino and over the years I have become very close to alot of her friends. My cousin married into a Filipino family. My SIL has done 3 shows for me with all of her Filipino friends. They are very ...shall we say frugal in their spending. I have booked 3 shows off of hers with the booking benefits. They LOVE getting something for nothing. The same goes for my cousin's family also.

PamperedChefDebi said:
I'm in a military community with EVERY possbile ethnic background or combinaton thereof. The base has one or two Asian American or Pacific Islander associatons (hope I got the names right). Anyway, a fellow consultant just told me today that she is working with some folks that are part of it and she is expecting it to be a GREAT way to get her foot in and she expects positive response. So.....I might have to ask her if she has any particular experiences that help her market to that ethnic crowd.

So, I asked this consultant about this and what I didn't know was that her husband is Filipino! And she did say what was also mentioned here, they have to trust you! With her being married to him, that gives her a huge advantage.

Isn't it interesting how different cultures react differently?

1. Are there any Asian consultants on here?

Yes, there are definitely Asian consultants on here! We have a diverse community of consultants from various backgrounds and ethnicities, including Asian consultants.

2. Can I connect with Asian consultants for specific recipes or tips?

Absolutely! Our consultants are always happy to share their expertise and knowledge with fellow consultants and customers. You can connect with Asian consultants through our online community or by attending local cooking classes and events.

3. Are there any Asian-inspired products or recipes available?

Yes, we offer a wide range of products and recipes inspired by Asian cuisine. Our consultants can help you find the perfect products for your cooking needs and share delicious recipes that incorporate Asian flavors and ingredients.

4. Do Asian consultants have a different approach to cooking and using Pampered Chef products?

Every consultant has their own unique approach to cooking and using our products, regardless of their ethnicity. However, our Asian consultants may have a deeper understanding of certain Asian cooking techniques and ingredients that they can share with you.

5. Can I become a Pampered Chef consultant as an Asian person?

Yes, we welcome anyone who is passionate about cooking and sharing our high-quality products with others to join our team as a consultant. We believe diversity only adds to our community and we would love to have you as part of the Pampered Chef family!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cat2000
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • mommyford
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies