• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Hope I Don't Offend Anyone as This Is Not My Intention. I Had

In summary, a large group of women and children came into a playground at a busy BK and were separated into three different groups based on their husbands. One man, three different women, and eighteen children all called him "Pappa." They had prayer before eating, and the youngest wife had a short temper with the kids. It was strange to watch them leave.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I hope I don't offend anyone as this is not my intention.

I had an odd experience this afternoon at BK. I guess the reason I picked-up on it was b/c of the recent news about the removal of women and children at the Warren Jeff's Texas ranch. While we were at the BK playground a huge group came in. One man, 3 women, and 18 children. He instructed each woman to sit at a seperate table with a certain number of the children and he called them 'wife 1', 'wife 2', and 'wife 3'. All of the children called him 'Pappa'. They had prayer before they ate. And, they were dressed in regular clothes (not the long dresses you see on tv). We watched them when they left and they got into 3 seperate vans (with GA license plates). It was kinda sureal.....wonder if they were 'escapees' from the ranch in Texas? They were very polite, the youngest of the wives had a short temper with the kids though.

Last edited:
Tooo weird!!!!!!

Oh My Goodness!

My friend told me it was just like watching the HBO show.....sorry, don't know the name of it (I don't have HBO and have never seen it).

When I first saw them I thought they were from a children's home that is near my house (really great place: Noah's Ark Animal Rehabilitation Center and Childrens Care Home ) so I didn't pay too much attention to them.

pamperedlinda said:
My friend told me it was just like watching the HBO show.....sorry, don't know the name of it (I don't have HBO and have never seen it).

Was it "Big Love"?

chefjeanine said:
Was it "Big Love"?
I don't know the name, but she said it is about a polygamist family and their daily life.

I don't agree with the life style, but my husband and I watch Big Love all the time. It's one of our favorite shows.

Pretty blatant for them to be out in public and act that way. Did you get the license plates?

ccarp said:
I don't agree with the life style, but my husband and I watch Big Love all the time. It's one of our favorite shows.
Me too!

How sad that he called them "wife 1", "wife 2" and "wife 3". Why not just call them by their first name? It's not like they don't know who they are and where they fall in line. It's such a strange lifestyle to me. I can't even fathom!

Luv2bake said:
Pretty blatant for them to be out in public and act that way. Did you get the license plates?
It is only illegal to be married by law to more than one spouse. I have heard through tv or news many of these groups marry the 1st woman then have a church marriage for lack of the right word with the others and not legal so they are not breaking the law. But so sorry for the kids and young women that don't know any better or have a choice.

Luv2bake said:

They weren't offensive. Other than overhearing parts of their conversation (and I admit, we were snooping a bit & straining to hear them while trying to look like were were watching our children and having our own conversation :angel: ) You would have thought that they were on a field trip or something. The children were all very normal - and quite obedient. I didn't even try to get the plate number - but I could tell it was a GA plate.

I love "Big Love". It's the only reason I have HBO!!! Slightly disturbing, but so addictive!

Three or more wives: Polygamy.Two wives: Bigamy.One wife: Monotony.

Linda- Oprah had a show on this - there are places all over - the one she highlighted was in Arizona I think and she actually had the wives and husband on the show - I, personally, do not agree with any of it - but they all seemed to think it was great - 2 of his wives were sisters. They seemed very happy and so were the kids - IDK - I just shake my head and wonder!!

I saw part of that show Doreen. It's not my thing either.

Now, in hindsite, I'm wondering if they were fleeing the 'ranch'? They didn't seem afraid or anything - and the kids all seemed pretty normal so we didn't really think a whole lot of it. They stayed for about 30 mins and the kids played after they ate lunch. No-one appeared as though they were hiding or running from anything.

Thats interesting - I thought those who fled were escaping that lifestyle (cause I think that is what the refer to it as) -

I guess that saying to each its own holds true -

totally bizare if you ask me - but I accept it if thats your choice ( always the diplomat!!;) )

How bizarre!!:eek:

Blech...my husband likes to joke that back when he was single his goal was to run off to Utah and get himself a whole buncha wives. Then, he married me and realized the nagging of one wife was more than enough - LOL

sfdavis918 said:
Me too!

How sad that he called them "wife 1", "wife 2" and "wife 3". Why not just call them by their first name? It's not like they don't know who they are and where they fall in line. It's such a strange lifestyle to me. I can't even fathom!
I agree. I didn't hear him call any of the children....wonder if they have numbers too.....LOL

Wow, I would have been in amazement too! I am shocked every time one of these stories comes out, that people actually live like that....so sad about all these kids in TX.

pamperedlinda said:
I agree. I didn't hear him call any of the children....wonder if they have numbers too.....LOL

Ok - a little off topic but kiddingly my DH and I call our kids by numbers too - because sometimes when I am rushing or stressed, I mess up on their names and call one by the other (c'mon we all do it occasionally!!) We of course do it more when speaking about them but sometimes when we all get in the car to leave we do a head count!! (it started when they we little to make sure no one was left "home alone" ):D

Anyway - its all over GMA about some place in Texas today!!

dannyzmom said:
Blech...my husband likes to joke that back when he was single his goal was to run off to Utah and get himself a whole buncha wives. Then, he married me and realized the nagging of one wife was more than enough - LOL
The Texas Henny Youngman says, "Take my wives...please!"

When I was 16... my first boyfriend's Dad had 3 wives. I had no idea until I went to dinner one night and there were about 20 kids at that table! I just stood there with my mouth open for what felt like forever! He then apologized for not warning me first. I have to admit although it was weird, you get used to it fast. His dad never numbered anyone, he called everyone by name and had great relationships with all of his kids. I couldn't imagine doing it myself though!

What I find to be a shame about the whole lifestyle...isn't just that they marry young...but that so many of the "girls" are forced to marry at a young age a much older man...this morning on the Today Show they were talking to a girl who was forced to marry a 50 year old man when she was 18...and had 8 kids with him...but he wanted to change the marrying age to 14 and their oldest daughter was almost 14 so she took all of their children and escaped...she wrote a book about it too...I would like to read that.

dannyzmom said:
As a Utah gal myself I have to say it has been illegal there since 1890!! As soon as it was against the law of the country.. My husband gets that a lot as a "Mormon"... HOw many wives do you have... He would always answer... HOw stupid do I look?! He would be excommunicated and shunned! I just can't see why people still think it is okay there. Sorry. This is a sensative subject for some people. One wife is definately enough. Those groups who practice polygamy aren't the norm in Utah. That is for darn sure!

The trouble is that for many Americans, perception is reality. That's also why a politician can spew a lie often enough that it becomes the truth - and the ignorant will vote that way.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The trouble is that for many Americans, perception is reality. That's also why a politician can spew a lie often enough that it becomes the truth - and the ignorant will vote that way.

Very well put KG.

I hear that. Isn't that what happened in Hitler's Germany?

I LOVE "Big Love" does anyone know when it's coming back? I looked at HBO.com but it doesn't say.

I could not live like that but I am sure there are lots of families across the country that do.

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
I hear that. Isn't that what happened in Hitler's Germany?
Pretty much so. In fact, the quote, "A lie becomes the truth if repeated often enough," is attributed to Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Propaganda for Hitler. It is also often credited to Lenin, although, it worked pretty well for both of them. Maybe Goebbels stole it from Lenin.

I tend to believe it might have been Goebbels, though, because Hitler added, “The greater the lie, the greater the chance that it will be believed.”

Keep that in mind the next time someone starts screaming at you about the crisis du jour.

I'm from Utah and most of them are "normal" they dress like the rest of us, they act like the rest of us. It is those select few that make the news that marry girls that are 13, dress "old fashioned" etc. I don't know how they do it. My husband can barely handle me let alone another wife. Plus, I would go crazy having other ladies kids around all the time.

By the way most polygamists' (sp?)live in NV, AZ, & TX. They are spread few and far between, at least up here in Northern UT. I know that there are more in the southern end. That is way I stay away from there. :)

Okay...so I have to ask this question....If you did a show for a family like one of these....who would you put as the host? Wife 1, 2 or 3? And, I'm thinking that they are going to need ALOT of kitchen tools for that many cooks and family numbers. ;) Sorry for being a Thread Hijacker....but, it got my business side of my head thinking...:cool:

Now, that's usin' yer head. Sounds like three separate shows to me...unless you want to have one super show!

Or....a Mega Show!:D

Related to I Hope I Don't Offend Anyone as This Is Not My Intention. I Had

1. What was the recent news about the removal of women and children at the Warren Jeff's Texas ranch?

The recent news was about authorities removing women and children from the Warren Jeff's Texas ranch due to allegations of abuse and illegal marriages.

2. What was the experience at BK that caught your attention?

While at the BK playground, a large group consisting of one man, three women, and 18 children came in. They appeared to be part of a polygamous family and had some similarities to the news about the removal of women and children at the Warren Jeff's Texas ranch.

3. How were the women and children addressed by the man?

The man instructed each woman to sit at a separate table with a certain number of children. He referred to them as 'wife 1', 'wife 2', and 'wife 3', and the children called him 'Pappa'.

4. How did the group behave while at BK?

The group prayed before eating and were dressed in regular clothes instead of the traditional long dresses often associated with polygamy. They were also very polite, although the youngest wife seemed to have a short temper with the children.

5. Do you think this group could have been 'escapees' from the ranch in Texas?

It is possible, but there is no way to confirm this without more information. It could also have been a different polygamous family or group passing through the area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
annew
  • krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Get_Pampered
Replies
Views
Admin Greg