• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are My Parents Going to Be Okay?

In summary, My parents were in a terrible accident last night. While I was at my big (35-40 confirmed) party last night, I received a phone call from my DH (he NEVER calls me when I'm at a party), my brother called and said Mom and Dad were in a BAD accident. They airlifted my Mom to the local trama hospital. My Dad was taken via ambulance to the same hospital. I dropped everything...and left ~ I'll have to go back to the hostess' house later and get all my stuff. Driving home was the worst ~ Not knowing what happened, being air-lifted~is she alive? Well,
The power of prayer will continue. At least for a brief moment, your dad could get a little bit of comfort.

I remember hearing once that a coma is the body's way of trying to heal without you having to feel the pain. I will still continue to pray for your mom, you and the rest of your family.

Kitchen2u said:
:( The doctor warned us this may happen . . . she's back in a coma. :cry:

it's OK...at least you know that she knows her family is with her. I don't know where the mind goes when one is in a coma, but I think you guys are doing all of the right things by being there with her and talking and reading to her. What is your Mom's name?I will add her to my prayer list in our prayer group on Thursday....that is a serious bunch of prayer warriors!

This happened to my nephew 2 years ago and he missed High School graduation and suffered froms TBI (traumatic brain injury) but he was in that state for 2 weeks and the dr's said it's his brains way of repairing itself. My prayers are with you.

God is good all the time. All the time, God is good. May she come around permanently, wholly, soon.

Kitchen2u said:
You guys are the BEST! :love: :love: I came home to shower and try to nap a bit before heading back. Since I work out of the home, I told my sisters and brothers, "if you just give me time to shower, take in a couple of hours...I'll do the night shifts and days ~ they've got the swing shift hours. She's in the BEST trama hospital in Sacramento, great doctors, nurses, staff. The ambulance attendants came this morning to see her, that was unexpected and sweet of them. The fire dept staff yesterday (used the jaws of life to get Mom out). Even a couple of the Calif Highway Patrol officers came by. We are overwhelmed, yet touched by their kindness and concern...

Dad is FINE:love: :D ...he just worried about Mom. He's hanging in there and reliving the incident every minute of the day. I can tell he's not sleeping much, even though he says he is. It's going to take some time...this is the first time they've been apart in 56 years of marriage.:(

Mom....she's hanging in. Nothing much has changed. Still in a coma, but we're okay with that. We feel it's probably the best way for her body to heal. We talk and read to her all the time and occassionally I asked to her move her fingers if she can hear me...she DOES!!!! :D :love: So far, she's only done that with Robyn and I. We have her listening to her Japanese soap operas (I do too :D ) and music at times too. The grandkids have decorated her ICU room, really cute. They all come in and talk to her every night too. My DD, Robyn, has been AMAZING! She's come along with me to every visit and takes over reading, et. when I get tired. Giving Mom massages, etc. I'm so blessed to have an amazing daughter:thumbup: :thumbup: . Ryan's (son) work schedule has been crazy and he's feeling bad he's not able to be there more often. I tell him it's okay, but still doesn't sit well with him. So you can tell what INCREDIBLE grandparents my parents have been...they all want to be there for Mom/Dad.
My DH has been my ROCK. Without him, I don't think I would be handling this very well at all. He comes and insists my Dad takes walks outside (even though it was over 100 degrees) the other day...they walk and talk about everything BUT Mom...My DH is he best. Dad said to me this morning, "I love taking those walks with Robert. He's such a great friend to me and an awesome husband/father to you guys! You did good Gin"

Kacey ~ got your PM...thanks, just haven't had time to respond. I appreciate your words...Mom WILL come through! I needed that, thanks! Though I'm Buddhist, it's all the same!

Deb ~ I got your email...thanks for that too!

I'll try to update as I can...but sometimes, I just come home, shower and hit the bed. I'm truly blessed to have all you out there saying extra prayers for us. We appreciate it.

THANKS EVERYONE ! ! !

Ginny- thanks for the update, don't you worry about replying to my PM- with eveything that you have going on I wasn't expecting you to! Prayers are still coming your way- I just know your Mom will get through this!

I'm so happy that you have such a supportive family to help get through this time! We are hear for you and know that you are loved and prayed for and so is your family!!!

I agree that the coma is often the body's way of protecting itself and healing. Stay with her, support her and keep doing what you are already doing. We'll be here to keep praying for her and your entire family.

So sorry to hear about all that is happening with your parents. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Don't know how I missed this. Ginny, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Saying prayers for her and the rest of your family.

Oh Ginny -how trying this must be for all of you.
Someone posted above about not knowing where the brain goes when in a coma. I can tell you. My mom was in a coma for 3 days after I was born and she tells us now that she could hear and feel everyone in the room when they came to see her. She knew when family was there with her. So make sure you have family members with her at all times like you've been doing - talking to her, touching her, holding her, singing to her. She KNOWS you are there!

That's amazing Carolyn!
I'm sure this is so hard on your family Ginny...sounds like your family is super close, that will help keep you strong.

dannyzmom said:
Oh Ginny -how trying this must be for all of you.
Someone posted above about not knowing where the brain goes when in a coma. I can tell you. My mom was in a coma for 3 days after I was born and she tells us now that she could hear and feel everyone in the room when they came to see her. She knew when family was there with her. So make sure you have family members with her at all times like you've been doing - talking to her, touching her, holding her, singing to her. She KNOWS you are there!

Carolyn, how awesome that you shared this with Ginny! And I know that, God forbid, anything ever happens like that in my life, I will remember that!

We weren't surprised she slipped back into a coma. She commented the pain was more than she could handle. "Maybe it's better if I am in a coma."

For the brief time she wasn't in a coma, she mentioned she heard all of us. She felt the massages, heard the music, talks, and was glad to listen to her soap operas! LOL So, everything everyone here says about coma victims hear/feel you...it is totally true!

Kitchen2u said:
We weren't surprised she slipped back into a coma. She commented the pain was more than she could handle. "Maybe it's better if I am in a coma."

For the brief time she wasn't in a coma, she mentioned she heard all of us. She felt the massages, heard the music, talks, and was glad to listen to her soap operas! LOL So, everything everyone here says about coma victims hear/feel you...it is totally true!

How is she doing today? What are the doctors saying?

Just saw this, Ginny. So sorry to hear about all that's going on. My thoughts and prayers are with you. (((((BIG HUGS))))))

Keep up what you guys are doing....you are an awesome family! :angel:

dannyzmom said:
How is she doing today? What are the doctors saying?

The Dr says she's in a "light" coma today. Lots of eye flutters, responding to voice commands. All of us (Dr included) feel it's best for her to be in the coma right now. She's getting the rest she needs, we know she will be fine, and helps with pain management.

I'm just glad she briefly came out of the coma for my Dad's sake. He feels better now. Phew! All of us kids are convinced if Mom passed as a result of this accident, Dad definitely would die of a broken heart. It was the first time we saw him like this...of course, this is the first time Mom's been this critical too.

I may be flying down to Los Angeles this weekend for a quick trip (depends on my Mom's condition). My cousin from Hawaii (my Aunt's only living son) flying into to Sacramento to see my Mom before he heads down to LA. So I'm thinking of making the trip with him. My Aunt hasn't had any of the family (the ones living in the LA area) visiting her?!?!?! Including her grandkids! Hmmmm....

chefmeg said:
What is your Mom's name?

Jayne ~ sorry I missed your post!

Sending another prayer for your sweet Mom.

Just checking in to see if there is anything new on your mom today. I am praying for her and your family.

Still praying and thinking about you. Please let us know how things are!!

Normally not home during the daytime...usually at the hospital ~ but I'm HOME:D!!!

YEP! She's out of the coma again! :love::love::D:D She woke up when Robyn and I were going to come home to shower (we take the night shift, Dad comes in at about 9 AM) and then go back to the hospital. We stayed for a bit...she's in pain, but she said not as bad as "yesterday" (she "thinks" it was yesterday!).

Robyn asked if she was going to stay up this time...nice to-the-point granddaughter! LOL Mom said yes...go home and get some rest, she said. I sit here laughing as I type this...she's the one that needs the rest, but again, worried about us.

Our Youth Group trip is tomorrow...so Robyn told Grams "you can't do NOTHING while we're gone." My sisters and brother insisted I go with my group (I'm the Youth Director) and they can handle the weekend duty since Robyn and I have been on "duty" most of the time during the week since they work. I'll be back on Sunday late afternoon/early evening...guess where Robyn and I will head to before coming home?

So right now? We're doing GREAT!!! Thanks everyone for your prayers and kind thoughts, checking in on updates! You guys are the BEST! But I'll update one last time tonight before I head to bed.

Kitchen2u said:
I may be flying down to Los Angeles this weekend for a quick trip (depends on my Mom's condition). My cousin from Hawaii (my Aunt's only living son) flying into to Sacramento to see my Mom before he heads down to LA. So I'm thinking of making the trip with him. My Aunt hasn't had any of the family (the ones living in the LA area) visiting her?!?!?! Including her grandkids! Hmmmm....

Geez...I can tell I'm working on very little sleep...I've got my Youth Group trip...I can't go to LA this weekend! I'll be going sometime next week.

Kitchen2u said:
Normally not home during the daytime...usually at the hospital ~ but I'm HOME:D!!!

YEP! She's out of the coma again! :love::love::D:D She woke up when Robyn and I were going to come home to shower (we take the night shift, Dad comes in at about 9 AM) and then go back to the hospital. We stayed for a bit...she's in pain, but she said not as bad as "yesterday" (she "thinks" it was yesterday!).

Robyn asked if she was going to stay up this time...nice to-the-point granddaughter! LOL Mom said yes...go home and get some rest, she said. I sit here laughing as I type this...she's the one that needs the rest, but again, worried about us.

Our Youth Group trip is tomorrow...so Robyn told Grams "you can't do NOTHING while we're gone." My sisters and brother insisted I go with my group (I'm the Youth Director) and they can handle the weekend duty since Robyn and I have been on "duty" most of the time during the week since they work. I'll be back on Sunday late afternoon/early evening...guess where Robyn and I will head to before coming home?

So right now? We're doing GREAT!!! Thanks everyone for your prayers and kind thoughts, checking in on updates! You guys are the BEST! But I'll update one last time tonight before I head to bed.

WooHoo!!!:sing: So glad to hear your mom is doing better!:) I will continue to pray for her recovery! {{{Hugs}}}

What a roller coaster!! I am glad she's awake again!!

Wahoooooo Ginny!!! I will continue to pray! God is good!:D

So happy to read this news Ginny! Continuing to pray for your mom's full recovery.

YIPEE!! That is awesome news Ginny. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

Ginny, So glad to hear your news! Have a good time on your trip.

Ann R.

It's rather amazing. They had her up in a chair today...first step. She got tired quickly, but it's a step. Because of the numerous broken bones, it takes 6 folks to move her gingerly to the chair. But she was IN the chair for about 20 minutes...about all she could take. If everything goes well tonight/tomorrow, the Dr said she would order a room change! She did mention, she's "moving" slow with Mom since the in/out of coma thing going on.

Mom also said the pain is not as bad as the other day...Yeah! So it sounds like the pain management system they are using is working better.

So thing's are looking better...Mom kicked Robyn and I out of her room about a half hour ago and said "go home, pack and have fun!" Bless her heart...you KNOW I will be calling her while I'm gone :D !\

Have a GREAT weekend everyone...again, thanks so much for everything ~ I'll update you when I get home on Sunday.

dannyzmom said:
What a roller coaster!!

Robyn told Mom she took us on the roller coaster ride early! We're going to Paramount's Great America! LOL Mom said ~ "just thought you needed a trial run Rob." Robyn said, "next time Gram, no thanks!"

legacypc46 said:
So happy to read this news Ginny! Continuing to pray for your mom's full recovery.

Oh my gosh, leggy, so happy to SEE you!:D I love your avatar! I've always wanted to put a face with each screen name and now I can for you!:thumbup::);)

Kitchen2u said:
Robyn told Mom she took us on the roller coaster ride early! We're going to Paramount's Great America! LOL Mom said ~ "just thought you needed a trial run Rob." Robyn said, "next time Gram, no thanks!"

Sounds like your Mom is one amazing special lady! And she seems to still have her sense of humor! Sounds like your kids adore her! I'm so happy for you and your family! Especially for your Dad! I bet he will cherish her even more now!;)

Ginny I'm so happy the the answers to our prayers were manifested!

Thanks and praise be to you Almighty God

Ginny,
I am so glad to hear that your mom is doing better. I really hope and pray that she can have a speedy recovery.

Who is going to keep us posted on your mom while you are away?!

I hope you have a great weekend away, get some rest and come back refreshed. I hope your mom has a good weekend as well and that you will be totally amazed at her progress when you return.

pamperedlinda said:
Who is going to keep us posted on your mom while you are away?!

I hope you have a great weekend away, get some rest and come back refreshed. I hope your mom has a good weekend as well and that you will be totally amazed at her progress when you return.

You're soooo sweet Linda!

Just got into town ~ went directly to the hospital. Mom's doing okay. Had a little set back yesterday, something going on with her blood pressure, white blood cell count and pain was causing problems for Mom. I said to my Dad, the blood pressure tends to go up when you're experiencing increased pain. Mom has had white blood cell problem for the past 10 years...so they're looking at the meds now. She hasn't eaten for the past 36 hours, so they put her on additional IVs. She was happy to see Robyn and I even though we looked like crap...tired...pooped. My sister has tomorrow off, so I'm off duty until Tuesday...yeah!

OH! They found out over the weekend ~ the 18 broken bones...well, it's 23!

As far as rest, none. Refreshed? Well, it was just nice to get away for a little bit since the stress we've been under, especially for Robyn. I feel bad since she should be enjoying her summer, but instead she's at the hospital instead. But she's fine with that, she wouldn't have it any other way. So it was nice to see her laugh and have fun with the kids. She called Gramps a few times, but if it gave her peace, so be it. Yep, I called OFTEN!

Thanks...

Wow - 23 broken bones!!! She, your dad, and you will continue to be in my prayers. Remember to get some rest yourself!

Omg Ginny, 23? That's terrible. Your parents will continue to be in my prayers.

WOW! 23? Hope she can recover soon and all of you get some much needed rest. Will keep all of you in my prayers!

Continuing prayers Ginny.

23! Wow! Sounds like she's progressing and healing. Thanks for keeping us updated. Get some rest!

Thanks for the update, Ginny! Will keep prayers going your way. I must say too that Robyn sounds like a pretty awesome kid! :D You have a great family! :)

PChefPEI said:
Thanks for the update, Ginny! Will keep prayers going your way. I must say too that Robyn sounds like a pretty awesome kid! :D You have a great family! :)

yeahthat.gif

Ginny...I am sooooooooo glad your mom is doing so well (for her condition, that is...) and we will be continuing to pray for her and your family!

How old is your daughter?

Wow, I can't even imagine 23 broken bones....bless her heart! Thanks for continuing to update us.

I am just catching up on threads from the past 3-4 days. Ginny, I am happy to hear about your mom's progress. Your family continues to be in my thoughts and prayers.

KellyTheChef said:
yeahthat.gif

I believe she's 16 or 17. That' if my memory is serving me right. I met GInny and her daughter in San Francisco on the incentive trip.

KellyTheChef said:

Good memory Kristi ~ she turned 17 on June 14...flag day!

Yes, we are amazed of the number of broken bones...especially since Dad came out without a scratch or even a bruise! Mom' has osteoporosis, so I'm sure that plays part into this.

Dad called me from the hospital and said Mom ate a little breakfast this morning. He says it's because Robyn and I came home. I hope not. Because if that's the case, she's got to be doing a LOT better if I'm going to conference.

Dad also said they've adjusted her meds, so she's resting a little better now.

Ginny, I am so thrilled to hear that your mom is coming through this. I am still praying that God will totally heal her through everything. WOW!! It really does go to show you that God does answer prayers. Stay strong Ginny! Remember to take time for you too. :)

Your prayers are working!!! :thumbup: I just got home from the hospital. Mom was moved OUT OF ICU before I came home! Yahoo!!! :sing::sing: This is a BIG giant step! Dr said she may come home as soon as this weekend/early next week! So the number 13 (# of days in ICU) isn't an unlucky number for my family!!!:D:D:D

<H2>1. What should I do if my parents were in a terrible accident?</H2><p>If your parents were in a terrible accident, the first thing you should do is remain calm. It can be a very overwhelming and emotional experience, but staying calm will help you handle the situation better. Make sure your parents receive proper medical attention and follow any instructions from the medical professionals.</p><H2>2. How do I handle the emotions of not knowing what happened to my parents after an accident?</H2><p>Not knowing what happened to your parents after an accident can be a very difficult and emotional experience. It's important to find someone to talk to, whether it's a friend, family member, or even a therapist. Expressing your emotions and talking through your thoughts can help you cope with the situation.</p><H2>3. What should I do if my parents are in different hospitals after an accident?</H2><p>If your parents are in different hospitals after an accident, it's important to prioritize their medical needs. Make sure both hospitals are aware of the situation and have all the necessary information. You may need to divide your time between the two hospitals to provide support and updates to each parent.</p><H2>4. How can I support my parents after they have been in an accident?</H2><p>After your parents have been in an accident, the best way to support them is to be there for them. Offer emotional support, help with any necessary tasks, and communicate with medical professionals on their behalf. It's also important to take care of yourself and get the support you need during this difficult time.</p><H2>5. What can I do if my parent blames themselves for the accident?</H2><p>If your parent blames themselves for the accident, it's important to reassure them that it was not their fault. Remind them that accidents happen and they are not to blame. Offer support and understanding, and encourage them to focus on their recovery rather than dwelling on what happened. Seek outside help if necessary to help your parent cope with any feelings of guilt or self-blame.</p>

1. What should I do if my parents were in a terrible accident?

If your parents were in a terrible accident, the first thing you should do is remain calm. It can be a very overwhelming and emotional experience, but staying calm will help you handle the situation better. Make sure your parents receive proper medical attention and follow any instructions from the medical professionals.

2. How do I handle the emotions of not knowing what happened to my parents after an accident?

Not knowing what happened to your parents after an accident can be a very difficult and emotional experience. It's important to find someone to talk to, whether it's a friend, family member, or even a therapist. Expressing your emotions and talking through your thoughts can help you cope with the situation.

3. What should I do if my parents are in different hospitals after an accident?

If your parents are in different hospitals after an accident, it's important to prioritize their medical needs. Make sure both hospitals are aware of the situation and have all the necessary information. You may need to divide your time between the two hospitals to provide support and updates to each parent.

4. How can I support my parents after they have been in an accident?

After your parents have been in an accident, the best way to support them is to be there for them. Offer emotional support, help with any necessary tasks, and communicate with medical professionals on their behalf. It's also important to take care of yourself and get the support you need during this difficult time.

5. What can I do if my parent blames themselves for the accident?

If your parent blames themselves for the accident, it's important to reassure them that it was not their fault. Remind them that accidents happen and they are not to blame. Offer support and understanding, and encourage them to focus on their recovery rather than dwelling on what happened. Seek outside help if necessary to help your parent cope with any feelings of guilt or self-blame.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chefstover2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • itsjustCarla