• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Gloves Necessary for Food Demos?

In summary, many of the people at the show wear gloves. The gloves are only 75 cents for a bag of a dozen and are available from the supply order form.
nickywsn
Hi, I have my first show next week and I was wondering how many of you wear gloves for your food demo?

I started wearing them, ran out & didn't for a little while & now wear them again. I will continue to wear them. I have had MANY guests tell me how much they appreciate it & how they had been to other shows where the consultant didn't. I always let them see me wash my hands, but the gloves show that you care about their health & I think they look professional.

Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I don't. It kinda depends what the recipe is and how much food I'll actually be touching.

I've never had anyone comment on them, so I wear them less and less lately. Maybe I'll start wearing them more this month!

I wear them. I figure I don't know most of the people at my shows and wouldn't want a stranger touching my food. Again, just another thing I think makes us look more professional. They are only 75 cents for bag of a dozen.

For those of you who do, do you use the nylon ones or latex? The latex ones work better for me at home (I use them when cutting meat because I hate the smell of raw meat on my hands), but worry that someone might be allergic to latex. What are the ones you can get on the paperwork supply order form made of?

I had actually purchased some of those cheapie throw (like I have used at some of my previous jobs) away ones and planned on using them, but I have only used them once, I don't ever remember them, ughh. But I suggest those because you can take them off and toss them from meat to veggies or something else and not have to worry about throwing lots of money out the window.

can you use the latex gloves? I HATE the ones they wear at like Subway.. :rollseyes:

I am not allergic to latex, but I am allergic to the powdery crap that they put inside. I would hope that people would rather see my normal hands than the covered in hives version they would see as soon as I took the gloves off, LOL!

I only used the disposable gloves when I had a wound on my hand. I am VERY clumsy with them on because my hands are small and the gloves are so big they were getting tangles in teh cheese grater handle and totally getting in my way. I make sure to wash my hands in front of the guests.

Typically, I don't wear them, but I try to keep a couple in my kit just in case. I cut my finger fairly badly at a show once (ironically, right after I had given my "a sharp knife is a safe knife" speech), and I kept bleeding through the bandaid. So I popped a glove on so I could at least finish the demo without bleeding all over everything, and bandaged myself up at home.

When I pack, I make sure I have at least two sets of gloves in my apron pocket. Yes, I do wear gloves. It was noticed, once, when I did not wear them. I learned about the oversight from my husband. His daughter was the hostess, and some of her nurse friends attended the party and made a comment to her, which she passed on to her Dad (but not directly to me). You can buy gloves without the powder. I used to buy them at Rite-Aid but like those from our Supply order better.

I use them when filleting chicken and handling raw meat at home, too. I don't even think about the cost. Our healthy and customer's peace of mind is worth every penny.

People notice and appreciate it when you wear gloves.

I used to wear the latex kind (no powder) that I purchased at GFS (Gordons Food Service). I've decided to go with the baggie plastic (also from GFS) kind this time because you can easily slip them on and off. Great for when you want to stop and show something else and then can put them back on and finish your demo.

We had our kick-off meeting today and it included a live kitchen show. The Consultant made a crescent roll ring and I was VERY aware of the fact that she was not wearing gloves. Just did not seem right.

I do not wear gloves. I cannot stand they way they feel on my hands. Luckily, I have not cut myself at a show yet. Maybe I need to take a pair just in case for that though, I had not thought of that.

i also make sure the guests see me wash my hands,but i also keep a bottle of anti-bacterial gel stuff on my demo table and use that during my demo.

I don't wear gloves, I would if I had a bandaid or cut on my hands though.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not use latex gloves people please use plastic. People who are allergic to latex have the same reactions that people who are allergic to peanuts have. People who are allergic to latex don't even have to come into direct contact with it to have a reaction.:(

Are ours latex? I didn't think they were. They don't seem to leave the film either.

nickywsn said:
Hi, I have my first show next week and I was wondering how many of you wear gloves for your food demo?

I wear gloves & I ALWAYS make sure they match my purse & shoes!!!:D :D :D

Sorry could not resist it......:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ginger428 said:

Pink w/sparkles right??:D

Ginger428 said:

For a minute there I thought TKG responded. I had to take a double take on your name and avitar...LOL:D

Sparkles..DID SOMEONE SAY SPARKLES?????

I don't wear gloves. This is just me and I may be weird, but I think the gloves are just as unsanitary as using hands without gloves. I mean germs get on the gloves too and you cross contaminate food with gloves or with out gloves. I just wash my hands lot. I personally would rather have someone handle my food with CLEAN just washed hands then gloves where I don't know where they've been. Thats just me, like I said it's weird for me.
I do like the ideas of carrying gloves for a "just in case" moment, such as an accident or if someone really insisted on it. I've never had either, but I am going to start to bring a pair.

Rebeccascabinet said:
I don't wear gloves. This is just me and I may be weird, but I think the gloves are just as unsanitary as using hands without gloves. I mean germs get on the gloves too and you cross contaminate food with gloves or with out gloves. I just wash my hands lot. I personally would rather have someone handle my food with CLEAN just washed hands then gloves where I don't know where they've been. Thats just me, like I said it's weird for me.
I do like the ideas of carrying gloves for a "just in case" moment, such as an accident or if someone really insisted on it. I've never had either, but I am going to start to bring a pair.

I feel the same way...I worked in restaurants for many years & when the board of health started with the gloves I would watch cooks using them & would think the same thing....if you are gonna pass germs, you are gonna pass them. I have seen men wear the same pair for quite awhile..:rolleyes:

So far I have not used gloves but I've only cooked for family and friends and if someone were to say something i'd probably ask them if they use gloves when cooking for company or if they think I'm using gloves when I cook for shabbat or holidays ... 'cause if they do maybe they don't want to eat at my house any more. :rolleyes:

Rebeccascabinet said:

Your right!! I have seen a lot of people not wash there hands cause they had gloves on..........gives u a false sense clean if you don't wash your hands if your wearing gloves.

If you're using the gloves properly, they will be more sanitary. You have to wash your hands (thoroughly! that means hot water, soap and friction rubbing your hands with the soap for at least 20 seconds, using a paper towle to dry your hands) before putting on gloves. Change the gloves (NEW pair) between meat, veggies, etc... and wash your hands between each glove change.

How many of you have a food handler's permit with your local health department? It may not be required, but I think it's a great idea. Not only will you learn proper food handling procedures by having to pass the test, but it will show that you respect your customers by knowing proper food handling. You don't have to show it to them, but if anyone asks, you'll have it.... just a thought...

soccermama said:
If you're using the gloves properly, they will be more sanitary. You have to wash your hands (thoroughly! that means hot water, soap and friction rubbing your hands with the soap for at least 20 seconds, using a paper towle to dry your hands) before putting on gloves. Change the gloves (NEW pair) between meat, veggies, etc... and wash your hands between each glove change.

How many of you have a food handler's permit with your local health department? It may not be required, but I think it's a great idea. Not only will you learn proper food handling procedures by having to pass the test, but it will show that you respect your customers by knowing proper food handling. You don't have to show it to them, but if anyone asks, you'll have it.... just a thought...

I have gold star foodsafe handling under my belt, I have for the past eight years..........but what we are talking about with gloves is people who don't think that you have to wash your hand while wearing the gloves!!!!

rennea said:
I have gold star foodsafe handling under my belt, I have for the past eight years..........but what we are talking about with gloves is people who don't think that you have to wash your hand while wearing the gloves!!!!

Sooooo sorry :rolleyes: But that's not ALL that was being talked about...

It was said that using gloves is not more sanitary than bare hands, but it is. Was just passing along some info.

Someone also asked if the gloves PC sells us are non-latex... they ARE! Non-latex, thankfully! And they're actually pretty comfortable compared to the ones I use at work... LOL

1. Should I wear gloves for a demo if I have food allergies?

It is always recommended to wear gloves during a demo if you have food allergies to avoid any potential cross-contamination from handling different ingredients. This will also help ensure the safety of your customers.

2. Do I need to wear gloves for every step of the demo?

It is not necessary to wear gloves for every step of the demo, but it is recommended to wear them when handling raw meat, eggs, or any other potentially hazardous foods. This will help prevent the spread of bacteria and keep your hands clean.

3. Can I reuse gloves during a demo?

No, it is not recommended to reuse gloves during a demo. It is important to change gloves between handling different ingredients to avoid cross-contamination. It is also recommended to change gloves every hour to ensure cleanliness.

4. Can I use any type of gloves for a demo?

It is best to use gloves specifically designed for food handling, such as nitrile or vinyl gloves. These types of gloves are safe for handling food and will not tear easily. It is important to avoid latex gloves as they can cause allergic reactions for some individuals.

5. Do I need to wear gloves if I am using utensils during the demo?

If you are using utensils during the demo, it is still recommended to wear gloves when handling raw meat or potentially hazardous foods. This will help prevent any contamination from your hands to the utensils and ultimately to the food being prepared.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smilesarepriceless
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedmom24
Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • christyine winslow
  • Products and Tips
Replies